Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: Papaya Tree ID Please

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

February 16, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7562552

Grew this from a seed. Producing papayas. Not sure what kind and would like to know to gauge ripening period. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Grantman31
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

February 18, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7570295

What was the fruit like that you took it from? What color inside? It's likely that it'll be like the parent fruit. Is it the only tree around your neighborhood?
If you bought the fruit from the store without the named variety being listed, it's practically impossible to tell.
I like growing them just to have a bee-sting antidote handy.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

February 19, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7571353

My grandfather-in-law had a papaya he got from somewhere where he lives in central Florida (Sebring). He ate it and kept the seeds. I planted it and there it is...sorry no chance in identifying the type of tree from which it came! There are many other papaya trees in my neighborhood, but none that look like this. I guess I'll wait and see once they're ripe. Thanks for the response and the sting remedy!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7572608

what sets it apart from the others in your area?
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7573128

Papaya varieties seem to get divided into two types, hawaiian and mexican. The hawaiian fruit is much smaller and rounder, and the trees tend to be smaller. The mexican fruit is larger and more oval. Does that narrow it down any?

I can't tell enough from the photo, but perhaps it's not Carica papaya, but a Carica pubescens hybrid? I tend to think of them as having more leaves down the trunk, like yours does, but that might just be an idea I have in my head that isn't really true.

I dunno what sort of "somewhere" your grandfather got the seed from, but out here, that's more what we're seeing in the grocery stores. I think the deal is that they're cold-hardier, but with the larger fruit you'd expect on Carica papaya.

It looks like a nice tree, but they don't ever have real strong roots. So it might just fall over one day. One of those tropical easy come easy go things... Papayas would naturally grow in a sort of lush environment, with lots of nice rotting leaves on the ground, so you might be sure it's getting compost or other nutrients.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

February 21, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7577371

Thanks for the info. It's similar to some in my neighborhood but far different than others I've seen. Much of what I see in my neighborhood is a skinnier, taller trunk with very tiny leaves at the top and more oval-shaped fruits on some, and others are similar to mine but still a skinnier trunk without the leaves growing all the way down the trunk like mine. The base of this trunk is pretty thick, and some of the leaves have formed branches, somewhat smaller trunks growing out of the main trunk and I think those might eventually flower further down the tree. Odd, huh? I'll try to get some more pics of the fruit, smaller "trunks", and base. The tree is cold-hardy, having not experienced any damage from the hard freeze we had earlier in the month.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America