AuthorContent
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7566572

Hello,
I have some Datura seeds ( Triple Purple, received in a trade), I'm wondering the best way to start my seeds this year? I'm in zone 8a.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7567272

Hi Mike,

Datura has a mind of its own .. some start germinating a few days after you plant them and others can take weeks even months. Through many years of growing datura I've found a way that works very well for me. Using cuticle scissors, which are very sharp and bowed, I cut a sliver off the edge of the seed (see picture for which side to use), just enough to break through the coat using the bowed side .. no more than that, then plant them about 1/4 inch under soil. I start all my seeds on heating pads and keep the soil in the upper 70's to low 80's. For most seeds, I usually have germination within a week or two .. super fresh seeds usually come up in a few days.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2010 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7567276

Here is a picture of what a datura seedling looks like.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7567280

Once they have their 2nd set of true leaves, you can transplant them into larger pots. In this picture you can see these seedlings just starting to get their true leaves.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7567287

X,
Thank you for the excellent info and pics. I have about 25 seeds I think so I'll get them started here this weekend. Thanks again,
Mike
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7567315

You're very welcome!

X
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7584393

X,
One more question to this, what luck or experience have you had without using a heating mat? I thought I might try and put them on my fridge if needed...

Thanks again,
Mike
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7585009

When I've started them out in the greenhouse with no bottom heat, germination would take anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks - some even longer.

X

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7650367

Mike,
I use the Deno method since these seeds can take up to 1 month to germinate. I soak them first in hand hot water over night to plump them up.

Tear a sheet of kitchen paper towel. Use 1/2 of it. Fold it over twice. Wet it, then squeeze out the excess moisture. Open one fold and place your seeds inside. Fold one side over the seeds and place the package in a ziplock baggie. Zip up to 1/2" and blow into to it, then quickly zip it close. The air will remain in and prevent the seeds from being squeezed between the plastic.

Place the baggie in a warm place---top of fridge or heat mat. After 3 days begin to check seeds every day. As soon as you see sprouts, plant it. Be sure to aim the rootlet downwards. I use a tweezer to hold the seed. Some seeds will sprout within a few days, other will take longer. The beauty is that if you regulate how many plants you want instead of wasting seeds. Just sow a few more of the numbers you want.

Here is a thread I started from my own experience on over winter Datura in the fridge.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051779/

Here is a 6-pack of Datura inoxia started with the Deno method. Leaves are similar to Ballerina.

Thumbnail by blomma

Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7654512

blooma,
Thanks for the tips. Now that it has warmed up a bit and I'm about a month away from our last freeze of last year I'll be getting them started. I'll post my progress and success here.

Thanks again,
Mike

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America