PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.
make sure you punch drainage holes in the bottom and I've seen where others do the top as well. then cut the jug in half put your wet soil mix then seeds, then duck tape that the top half to the bottom.
I'm hoping to get most of mine done this weekend...LOL
how long do you have to leave the screw driver on the stove before it will burn into the milk jug? I tried last night with no results, so I'm thinking about getting a small electric screw driver to do the job...
Janet, what kind of stove do you have? Gas, electric or one of the flat surface? I'd be scared to death to put a screw driver on an electric stove burner for fear of electricution. A gast stove would be better but my husband had an old soidering iron that I bet he hasn't used in a zillion years and I use that. Doesn't take long for that to heat up and melt into the plastic jugs/containers. The bottoms of soda bottles are tough but it can be done, it takes longer.
Not to worry I gave up on that idea as I have electric and was afraid of getting electrocuted. So I went with a electric drill and drilled the holes in the bottom.
I make a good dent today, as I got 129 jugs washed and cut in half... what a learning experience that was...LOL I started out using an utility knife to cut half way through then used scissors to finish cutting.
Then I started the drainage hole drilling only got 20 jugs done as I was drilling 3 holes in each section of the bottom that has four sections.
I've decided to leave the labels on to make it easier to put my labels on.
Do you think those holes will be enough for drainage...
I hope to get the planting started within the next few weeks.
I've got sinus surgery on Tuesday, so it will be a few weeks before I get to play in dirt,,, have to wear a mask... but I hope to have them done by the first weekend in March... If these 129 go ok then I'll be going to get another 200 jugs, I've got a lot of seeds that I need to get started this year... Our garden club has a big plant sale which is our main fund raiser for the year and I want to be able to donate a boat load of plants this year...
ya know I wanted to say I tried to do the half gallons, but the few I cut into had more height than I wanted compared to the gallon jugs, so I just recycled the half gallons... Although now that I think of it I just might go pull them out and use them for some clem seeds as they like to have lots of room for roots.. Maybe for me there is a good use for them.
Are you going to have to repot all those plants to sell them or just sell the jugs? Are you planting a lot of seeds to each container?
Good luck with your surgery Tuesday... too bad they couldn't have done it in early fall instead of the time of year you will soon be wanting to get outdoors. Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery Janet!
Most what I sow are perennials. I did many last year in the kitchen paper/baggie method, which really worked great. This year I have Clematis and Iris seeds I want to WS. I too don't have much space for jugs so using those clear plastic shoe boxes from Walmart.
Both varieties require flunctuating temps and should sprout in the spring when the temp goes to 50F degrees.
Yep I'll repot them for our plant sale as well as my own plant sale. But then some think I'm strange as I really enjoy the repotting stage. I like the challenge of trying to save every seedling and transplanting it to an individual container...LOL
Anyone that lives near a Burger King could probably request their 5 gallon plastic containers that veg oil comes in. They have a screw-on top and the containers are rather square. They can be cleaned with hot sudsy water and brush. I think they would make an ideal WS container for lot of seeds.
I did that once and had the same problem. The seedlings grew really well in it, but it was such a booger keeping the weeds out, and figuring out what which ones were the weeds. I even tried sterilizing the compost in the oven, but still got weeds.
Gymgirl, we used a leaf blower that also has a vacuuming feature that mulches and bags the leaves. I just piled it up in the fall and by spring it was full of worms and worm castings. I grew the prettiest little bedding annuals in that stuff that year!
I tried that last year with whole leaves, but the"landscapers" came along and blew the leaves away. The leaves were at the back of the bed under the deck. When I found out they were walking in my bed blowing leaves (and aiming that nasty gas guzzling thing at my plants) I pitched a fit.
Leaves compost a lot faster if they're chopped up by the mower or something. And you don't have to worry about them blowing in the wind. It results in a better texture if you're using it for potting compost.
LOL. Last year I collected from neighbors trash piles bags of leaves their landscapers had left for the garbage company. I spread about 15 large bags all over the top of my herb bed which is about 50 feet long, 4 feet deep and 3 feet across. I was going to turn them under the next day. To my surprise, the next day I went out to turn under the leaves and the gardeners had removed every leaf. Totally super clean.
I have 7 very large bags of leaves now out by the pool equipment. I need to make the leaves inside smaller. They have been there since about September. I wonder if I could stomp on them or run over them with the SUV..