Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

WS newbie-Put out now?

Chippewa Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I've got all my containers, potting soil, etc. (oh, and a drill to make those holes!), faith and hope :)

I also have three feet of snow on the ground! My question is, should I dig down and put the containers in a space in the snow together, or just place them out on top? I do plan to put the containers in a cardboard box to keep them together. I understand that I probably should have started all this in Dec., but I hadn't even heard about it then! There are a couple small areas next to the house when the snow is maybe only a foot, but basically I've got drifts-deep-all over.

Recommendations??

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi,if it makes you feel any better.I have not put my containers out yet either.They will be out this weekend.I am behind this year.I think we are fine.Lots of winter left.In my experience its the up and down temps that help the seeds germinate.We know March is famous for that.I now live in Conneaut,its the last exit on I-90 before the PA line.I grew up in Wadsworth.All the best,Edge

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm still putting out my containers. The idea is to have the seeds stratified for about six weeks. We still definitely have six weeks of cold weather to deal with.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

hay girl.... or neighbor,,,

I'm not putting mine out until end of Feb/ 1st wk of Mar. Our spring isn't right around the corner.... too bad....

I'm doing mine earlier as I'm afraid that I'll have growth start too early and not have anywhere to transplant them to.

But then with over 200 hundred milk jugs, this is why I'm waiting longer to start....LOL

Janet

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
I also have three feet of snow on the ground! My question is, should I dig down and put the containers in a space in the snow together, or just place them out on top?

Clpgirl, I don't think it makes too much difference this early. I'd just put your jugs out on top and know that WS is meant to be part of Mother Nature's plan. The seeds will know what to do.

Thanks for all your responses! Got the holes poked & some of the containers cut yesterday! Excited AND nervous.......LOL

New Milford, CT

The only thing I worry about with putting them on top of a lot of snow (and I did it too a couple of weekends ago) is if the snow melts unevenly and the jugs wind up tilting one way, so that precipitation might wash the seeds down one side before the germinate. So I keep an eye on the tops out the window to make sure they're more or less level.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Crabgrass is making a good point. One year a couple of my jugs did tip (wind) and I didn't notice. . . Come germination time, I discovered a LOT of seedlings growing in a small amount of space on one side of the jugs! Talk about HOS!

Just wanted to share my first WS with all of you-made sure the jugs are close together and pushed down to the patio under the snow. Last night we had another 6+ inches and this morning they are all tucked in and covered.

First pic is from last night-we still have more to go, but got quite a bit done in 2 hours!

Second photo is from this morning.

Thanks for all your info. I think we will put them in bins when the snow melts, but they are in an area protected from wind right now.

Thumbnail by clpgirl

Today!

Thumbnail by clpgirl
New Milford, CT

Whoah, that's some snow! I grew up in Wooster, not far from you. My folks must be snowed in but it's OK, after last winter they gave up on their house (and its mile-long driveway) and moved into a condo where someone else has to deal with the snow. Me, we've missed the full impact of the last 3 storms here in our little sheltered spot in CT, while everyone around us has been hammered.

My son goes to Trinity in Hartford, and they have had much less snow than we have! Go figure!

It's snowing again today so I guess those babies will be well insulated! Good for your parents.............I always say I like the snow as long as I don't have to go outside.............

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

clpgirl

I was just re-reading your first post and noticed you said potting soil? or did you mean to type seed starter soil?

I'm hoping you did start with the seed starter as it is much lighter. If you did use potting soil, did you put in a lot of drainage holes? If you don't have that many drainage soil then I would recommend that as soon as you can get to the jug again that you add more drainage holes so that your seeds can dry out between the weather patterns that we will be having.

Janet

finally a morning without snow, well for at least maybe an hour....anyway.

Thanks Janet,

We actually mixed pro-mix with quite a bit of coir. Don't have the actual proportions, cuz we did it by feel. I'm hoping that will work, as we noticed the jugs draining water on the floor from the kitchen counter. Used a bit of perlite on top of some.......

Fingers crossed!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

good to hear, just hated to think your soil might be too heavy and you not have good results.

I'm hoping to start filling mine next weekend.

Janet

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

We have liftoff in Houston. Just so you'll know what to shoot for...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

We don't get snow, but our temps get cold, too. Started these January 3 and 16th. Almost ready to plant out the tomato seedlings and peas, broccoli, & cauliflowers that're in these jugs.

Just started the next wave of jugs with eggplants, & more peas

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Thanks for postings! Just shared them and feelin' optimistic!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

What all did you plant in those jugs? That looks like nice wicker furniture in the yard.. You don't cover that up during the winter? Too late now! Thanks for sharing your pictures. This is my first year doing WS and our 55 inches of snow has finally melted, with the exception of the piles of snow that were piled up on the side of the streets. Those are gradually going down and are like a snowcone texture but dirty black from the polution I guess. Snow is beautiful when it's fresh and nice and white, when it's falling except when you are having to drive in it, then it's not so pretty.

Just to let you know, and I am still AMAZED, that my 'wicker' (some kind of 'fake' wicker) is as weather resiistant-as advertised when I purchased.. I had it outside in Northern Calif. for three years, Moviing back to Ohio I only have a one car garage at my little cottage by the lake- no way I could fit the furniture in there. I have been so pleased at how well it has held up! Even the cushions, which REALLY should come in, only have one split zipper after 6 years............

My REAL wicker is in my breezeway, and would never see a bit of snow or rain-mostly inheirited from family.

So far, have WS:

Morning Glory Tree (Ipomea Carnea)
Thumbergata Alata
Rudbeckia "Moreno", "Cherry Brandy", "Cherokee Sunset"
Cypress Vine, white and mixed
Cotton (regular old cotton-beautiful blossoms!)
Marigolds, "Lemon Drop", "Dwarf Bushy", "Kilmanjaro White", "Lemon Gem"
Cosmos, "Bright Lights", "Carioca",
Blue Bonnets
Hollyhocks, "Double Yellow", Mixed assortment,
Delpinium "Apple Blossom", "Blue Donna",
Nasturtium "Peach Melba"
Love--in a-Mist
Farewell-to-Spring
Cleome, "Violet Queen"
Sunflowers, "Mammoth", "Maya", "White Vanilla"
Violas, "Johnny Jump-Up"
Primrose, "Common Evening", "Sunset Blvd"
Oesteopurmum ecklonis, "Fire and Ice"
Coreopis, "Tinctoria"
Butterfly Weed
Mixed Four O' Clocks
Malva Muschata
Sea Holly
Crambe Maritimus
Frittalaria Camaschatcensis, known as Alaskan Lily, Chocolate Lliy (This one is a very slow grower, one grassy leaf the first year, two the second, etc. Five years or so to bloom and I am out of zone, so we'll see..............)
Moonflower
Mini Yellow Hyacinth Bean
White Trumpet Vine
Schizanthus Pomgrens

Tomato Seeds:

Peach Blow Sutton
Matt's Wild Cherry
Amazon Chocolate
Pineapple Bi-color
Grandma Josie's White
Amish Rose
White Oxheart
Chrerokee Chocolate
Hillbilly
Mortgage Lifter
Great White
Yellow Pear
Burpee's Big Boy
Marion
OSU Blue Fruit
Chocolate Cherry
Brandywine Yellow
Aussie
White Mate' Giant
Green Grape
Cherokee Purple Spudakee

Still have misc. perennials, veggies, and zinnias to go.
Many seeds came from Wintersown.com, others from freebies, and various vendors. I am keeping a master list with all catagories. Began sowing on Feb.25, and continuing.........

Thanks for your interest-this is a tremendous leap of faith for me!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

clpgirl

you are just north of me and you already ws tomatoes? WOW, I'm just now getting my tomatoes started inside this weekend as I'm bond and determined to have tomatoes to eat this summer....LOL

Keep us posted on your tomatoes as I'm very interested in them.

Are you having as nice a weather up there on the lake as us. I've really enjoyed the warm temps, just wish it really was the beginning of spring as I'm so tried of winter right now.....

Janet

These are all definitely EXPERIMENTS! LOL!

It has been beautiful the last several days, finally the snow melted off a Helleborus I planted last summer, and it has at least seven buds and is bright green. I'm very excited about that one. In addition, and totally unexpected, found a snapdragon under the leaf mulch that is also bright green!

i guess my thinking on the tomatoes, since they are all almost all heirlooms, is that tomatoes tend to re-seed on their own in nature, so I'm giving them a try with WS.

I'll keep you posted. We still have more to do today. :)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cool, looking forward to see how your do.

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm going to WSow my toms this year, too. No space left under lights.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Karen -- this is the first year i am doing Tomatoes WS. I have some I just did on a heat mat, which is how i have done them in the past.

this way i will have a comparison.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Terese, I hope you'll give us your comparison. I WSed them 2 years ago. They were tiny when planted out but quickly caught up to their store-bought cousins. Last year I started them under lights because the weather was so cold and rainy.

This year, I am going back to WSing them.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

will do Karen. I hope i take good notes.

last year, i grew a few, and bought one... due to the horrid summer... none of them did well.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Terese, I guess when you get right down to it, all we need to know is how they compared in terms of how healthy the plants are and when they bear ripe fruit. (i.e. did you get edible tomatoes from the indoor ones sooner than the WS ones).

I had thought about doing the same experiment but I'm pretty much out of space on my lighted shelves.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I dont even have lighted shelves... i use a south facing window for my heat mat.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I think all toms need to sprout is warmth. I wish I had good bright south facing windows, but I don't. The front porch blocks sun from the first floor window and big old maple tree block bright sunshine on the south side of the house. Even when not it leaf, the branches make for filtered light at best.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I -- luckily -- have most of my living space with southern exp ... the dining room window is a "bay" so it juts out a bit... that is where i put my flat or any other small pot.

but now that we have Charlie [the cat] I dont have as many pots and have to keep smaller seedlings covered, or he eats them. but the window helps a lot.

I'm so excited. Looked in the jugs two days ago and saw this. Doing the happy dance :) and saying 'told you so' to my brother-in-law. So far many seedlings of Farewill-to-Spring (given to me), Yellow Hollyhocks and Salvia. These were all WS during the 'blizzard' in the first pics I posted.

Thanks to ALL for your support-been sending this pic to everyone I know-even if they only pretended to be interested in my new obssession. LOL!

Thumbnail by clpgirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that's gonna be a nice 'chia' in a month or so.

very nice!! and isn't this exciting?? the first year was so fun because deep down you really were not sure this would work.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

clpgirl

I'm thrilled for you, just wish I had been able to have gotten mine started sooner....

Ok so are you up for swapping??????

but mine haven't even though about coming up yet..... next month for sure.

Janet

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I put a couple containers of hibiscus outside about 3 weeks ago (just moved them into the GH today so I can clean up other areas of the yard), and they're already going to town in my containers. How soon would it be suggested that I move these to larger/individual containers? I've never started seeds outside like this before, but they DEFINITELY look healthier, happier and green!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

WhooHoo, Clp and Jij!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

No need to pot them up- just plant them right in the ground and they'll do much better.

Karen

K,
Remember those mustard green seedlings I WSed then planted out in the raised bed using the HOS method? Well, they're finally taking off! They were yellowish just like the mater seedlings (which have also started taking off!), but have greened up and are making it on their own.

I'm gonna start transplanting the larger of the mater seedlings into their containers, little by little out of necessity. I'll end up with a staggered crop from 1 week to 3 weeks apart. Too many seedlings and too little time in the evenings to plant everything at once. Plus, all the eggs in one basket spells disaster! Finally, having space issues, so have to make moment x moment decisions on what's going where.

Hugs!

Linda

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, we have a definite wintersowing convert in you!

Most everything really takes off once it's in the ground.

Karen

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, since we had some good rain today I thought I would check on how bad things might be messed up in the jugs.... well to my surprise one jug has greennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn in it.... Planted Mar 7th White Lychnis are up...... the jug right beside it is pink lychnis so wonder how long it will be before they are up....

I'm really encouraged now......

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.