Has anyone else been to Crystal Park in Montana?

Hamilton, MT

Crystal Park, located on Polaris Road, a/k/a the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway, between Wise River and the Polaris Rd/Hwy 43 junction south of I-90, is a blast. It's one of the only state parks I know of where collection of specimens of any kind is allowed; you pay $5 a day for a limited number of days per person per season (I want to say 5 or 8), but that $5 isn't per-head. It's per-car. Only hand tools are allowed, but there's no limit on how much stone you can walk away with. I currently have around 15 pounds of low-grade material I dragged down that hill last June, and I'm prepping it for some macro-photography work. The first day I was there, though, we thought a bear was causing problems, but the shrieking turned out to be a Californian who had just pulled a single point at least 2.5" wide and the same in height out of the mud. I dug for 3 hours and found nothing--almost all of what I brought back came from tailing piles left by the snowmelt! The freshly taken photo below is most of the small points I found, the rest having been given as gifts.

Thumbnail by snakeadelic
This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!