-
AuthorContent
granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7567962

Last spring I bought a Reliance peach-- the only kind, I thought, that was reliably hardy in my area. It produced one peach and made 10,000 Japanese beetles happy (it was a worse magnet for those things than my roses!). Anyway, the peach was VERY disappointing in taste. I wondered why I had bothered. Then this winter I saw a garden catalog that listed Contender peach and said it was also zone 4 hardy and much better flavor. Has anyone tasted this newer peach? I'm tempted to pull Reliance out and plant Contender, but this is not without cost in money and time, and I don't want to do it if the results won't be any better. Thanks.
SnowlineRose
Bend, OR
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7582368

Hello gg - sorry no one has responded to your question yet. I, too, am interested in finding out about Contender. We have several semi-dwarf peach trees here in zone 4/5. Reliance was the only one that produced for us last year. We weren't expecting anything, since they are so young (second year in the ground), so it was a bonus. This one little tree had 26 peaches on it. After the local 4-legged residents (we highly suspect raccoons) took their share of the harvest, my husband and I got one peach apiece. They were super-delicious - very sweet. So maybe you'll have better luck with your Reliance this year.
granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7588052

That is encouraging, that yours tasted good. I'll wait another season before I make a decision. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America