-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7569278

I planted my first seeds indoors yesterday - the peppers, because they take longer. I cut back on pepper varieties this year because the last two seasons have shown that Gypsy is such a good sweet pepper I might as well concentrate on that one.

I planted Gypsy, Sweet Pickle, and Maui Purple peppers only. They're in an egg carton under a Jiffy dome on top of the 'fridge, and it'll probably be about a week before I see some sprouts. In about two weeks I'll start 'maters, cabbage, and petunias the same way, then raise them all under the lights in my shop.

This is the start of the 2010 growing season for me, and it's good to know I've got something planted again - even if I can't see anything yet.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7569479

I'm still pretty much at the planning stages, but those are coming along nicely, and I have a special little Ozark Garden, dedicated to you and your experiment!
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #7570326

I'm glad, Sequee - but you've got to watch out for my "experiments".

When we lived in CA, I got to raising chickens. Not just any chickens - the heirloom specialty breeds you can order by mail. It wasn't long before I got to trying to create a "master race" of chickens - crossing the biggest breeds with the biggest for generations.

Not a great idea. I soon developed almost turkey-size chickens that were mean! Our children were traumatized by being afraid to go in their own backyard - and they're still griping about it to me even though they've been grown for years now. The "experiment" was terminated after our roosters started roaming off our property to pick fights, and neighbors complained that their good-size dogs were afraid to go outside. Sissy dogs!

Hopefully, my tomato experiment will turn out better.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7570397

Oh, dear - the tomato that ate Carmel???

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7582112

I put 144 pepper seeds of various shapes, colors, and degrees of heat, down Sunday afternoon. Ranging from the generic 'mixed colors' bells for 20 cents a pack to Zold Kalinkoi from Eastern Europe.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7582197

I'm trying the low-heat habaneros this year. I have seedlings up with the first pair of true leaves for Aji Dulce, Numex Orange Suave, and Numex Red Suave. Next year I may also grow Trinidad Perfume, too. I didn't see it in a catalog in time to order for this spring.

I'm also growing Gypsy, Sweet Pickles, the unnamed mini-sweet from Costco/Sam's, and Chile de Arbol (I've found that 4 or 5 of the dried chiles, chopped, are just right for the Kung Pao recipe I have.) I plan to use the habanero types mostly for stir fry. I'll see what else the flavor lends itself to making...maybe salsa?
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7582883

[quote="dreaves"] I'll see what else the flavor lends itself to making...maybe salsa?[/quote]

Try some Habanero Gold Jelly! Yum!!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7585151

melody - i wouldn't use 144 pepper seeds in ten years or more. LOL

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7585158

I'll only end up putting 20% of these in the garden, but I have friends and family who insist on plants...

(I have a couple of acres dedicated to veggies...)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7585169

WOW

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
10:54 PM

Post #7585174

I get serious about my veggies...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7624886

Ok, Herbie, what are you growing??

I just have a few:

Anaheim
Ancho Poblano
Chocolate Beauty
Golden Bell
Gypsy
Jalapeno
NuMex Sunrise

I need some help growing these, so I will look at what others have been doing. Before I grew them from starts in the garden centers and I did not do so well as they just sat there and barely grew at all. Since I will be growing them from seed I will have more conrol over them from start to finish, but I am not sure if the result will be much different. I have heard that they are much heavier feeders than tomatoes. If anyone has any good tips, they will be welcomed, as I am fairly new at growing peppers, and thought they would do like tomatoes, but no, that did not happen as the tomatoes gave me lots of fruit...not so with the peppers...thanks!

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7625012

The main difference I've found in growing peppers - they like about twice as much water as tomatoes. Give 'em lots of water and they'll do well - my peppers have done best in years when summer thunderstorms had them standing in a puddle much of the time.

You were talking about tomatillos over on the other thread. I've read that before those were grown commercially they were just a weed that comes up in cornfields in Mexico. People found that the fruits are good in salsa and started using them, but they're often still not planted intentionally. Once you've grown them one season in your garden, you won't have to plant them again. Just transplant the volunteers.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7626690

OK, in that case, re: the tomatillos, I will just not even put them in the raised beds, but anywhere there is room on the ground, in full sun, of course. So they don't need the attention that is necessary with the tomatoes...?? Should I even bother to feed them?
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7626918

I give tomatillos the same fertilizer and water I give tomatoes. They make sprawling, gangly, woody plants that are hard to support and confine - be sure and allow plenty of room for them. I usually have 4 or 5 tomatillo plants in a row, planted about 2' apart. I drive a metal fence post at each end of the row, and run twine at 4 or 5 vertical levels between the posts and on both sides of the tomatillos as they grow - then I can tie branches up to those. That still makes an inpenetratable mess when they mature, as each plant gets about 5' high and 3' across. You'll find they drop about 20 tomatillos on the ground for every one you harvest and each tomatillo has hundreds of tiny seeds - hence, all the volunteers next year.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7627546

Tough little buggers, well not so little if I feed them, huh? Ok, thanks very much!

Evelyn
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7628239

Tomatillos make attractive plants, in a weedy kind of way. They have about a brazilian little yellow blooms (how many is a brazilian, anyway?) that the honeybees really like. That attracts bees to the garden for the cukes and other blooms - a good thing.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7628630

I won't have any summer thunderstorms, but the garden hose will be close by...for the peppers as well as the tomatillos...and the 'maters. Right now I am putting in peas, parsley, broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard...cool season stuff. Do you sow yours in fall?
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7628728

"Do you sow yours in fall?"
------------------------------------

No. We had an awfully cold winter - down to -7 below a few times, and we didn't see it UP to freezing for weeks. I don't think fall-planted veggies would have fared very well. Our backyard was full, all winter, of cylinder-shaped chunks of ice knocked out of the dog's bowl so I could give her warm water to drink before it could freeze.

Sometimes, not often, I miss California.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7628972

Do you have a cold frame?
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7630654

I just put up a cold frame this spring and I really like it. Its letting me move everything out of the house so I have more room to start more seeds. I even have strawberries starting to set fruit in it already. I bought mine from Gardener's Suply and I really feel it was worth the money.

Next fall I plan to do a hot bed with it. That way, I'll get to have greens and if I'm lucky, strawberries through the winter.

Thumbnail by yehudith
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7650982

this year i just wasn't very prepared. I am starting a new business and its taken a lot of brain cells to make a good go of it LOLLL
so this year peppers are
Mucho Nacho. ( i just love to say that word )
Fooled You Jalapeno
Black Hungarian
Red Cheese ( sweet pepper )
FIsh
Aniehm
and Yellow Macaroni
can't believe i didn't do Jimmy Nardello ?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7716547

so how are the peppers coming along everyone ?
mine are going well.
still not in the ground but soon they will be and i can hardly wait for some salsa ! and tomaillo with chips
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7717087

Slow going for me with a late start. I was afraid winter would last half the year since it was so awful. I dawdled around starting seeds. I did manage to beat most of the aphids for a change. They take a hike once I set the plants out because it already feels like late May here.

Here's some California Chilies. Thank you Smokemaster.

Thumbnail by twiggybuds

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7718357

do they do well in them pots ? or do you transplant them in a garden area ?
sweet looking peppers you got thar
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #7720155

My pepper seedlings in the house look great. I didn't get them started till late, so they are only 3-4"high. Don't remember what all is growing, but it's quite a selection from a dear DG friend. Haven't been in the GH for a week, but Al says the ones out there seem to be doing well, too. They are mostly bells.

Sure glad I put off planting them out in the garden last week, as we had a couple of nights of very close to a killing frost.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7721559

My peppers are still in the house as well, and I am glad I did not put them out yet either as it is snowing today. It has snowed on April 5th, 12th and today! I keep thinking it must be spring sometime soon. It has not snowed this late in years...and cold as well.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7721592

Unbelievable, Evelyn! Zone 8, end of April and snow. This is sure going to be an interesting gardening year across the nation.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7722887

They do great in those pots. They're 3 gallon pots sitting in 2 inches of water.

I spoke too soon about losing the aphids. Moving the transplants out of the greenhouse just confused them for a couple days and now they've hatched millions more.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
11:50 PM

Post #7723171

"I spoke too soon about losing the aphids."
--------------------------------

Pyrethrin = great stuff! It's the active ingredient in some insecticides, it's a natural compound extracted from chrysanthemums, and it's highly effective on aphids. Read insecticide labels to make sure it's the only active ingredient.

Pyrethrin isn't exactly a poison. Touch a bug with it while the compound is wet, and the bug dies. If a bug (or anything else) eats something on which pyrethrin has been sprayed and dried, there's no effect. Pyrethrin quickly breaks down and becomes harmless upon drying, and that's why foodstuffs such as harvested grain are routinely sprayed with it.

My tomatoes, peppers, and other veggies always get aphids in the spring and that's how I take care of them. Aphids don't move around so it's easy to get them wet with the stuff, just be sure and spray the underside of all the leaves - I usually have to spray about twice in the spring, then that's the end of the aphid problem for the year.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7723422

my Fish Pepper didn't sprout. :( i only got one .
good to know on the pots , i m going to try that with my one and only Fish. :)
Ozark you just reminded me i need to get some more. THanks
well so far so good on my end
but mine are still under light
i need to repot some of them and get them hardened off.
Just waiting until may 10 so we can plant outside

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7723447

My peppers are coming along, but they're not as big as Twiggy's. I planted:

Cubanelle
European Hot Pepper (that was a freebie from somewhere and I don't think they came up)
Long Hot Pepper (from saved seeds but they didn't sprout)
Marconi Red (only one sprout from eight cells, two seeds each!)
Pont du Paris
and from a DGer in France:
Longue des Landes
Long Red Hungarian
AOC Piment d'Espelette
Rouge de Bresse (hot)
Santa Fe Grande (hot)

Most are doing really well except for the ones I noted. I'm not sure where I'm going to plant them all, though!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7742314

I have been growing bhut's for 3 years. I just popped onto a news station and it is saying that there is now a hotter pepper then the bhut but its not confirmed - yet! Its called the Infinity Pepper. Heres the story.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/04/26/devilish-world-hot-peppers/?test=faces
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7742629

Great article - thanks for including the link!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7744038

We are having another storm and they are predicting that the rain will turn into snow by the early morning hours...alas, the pepprs and tomatoes...and everything else that has not been W/S'd is still in the house or basement.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7744420

Holy cow! (Though it does look beautiful, it looks like December, NOT LATE April!) We got a mild, scattered frost last night, and it's awfully chilly this morning, but nothing like that.

g_g - I hope you like the Pont du Paris as much as I did.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7744563

I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for sending them; they're doing very well!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7744576

macaroni red did very well for me last year. Tons and tons ! still have some in jars dried .
g_gal i did Black Hungarian and i think its a winner for me this year so far. ITs the biggest one . you have a very interesting list. i will have to check into some of them .
yikes evelyn snow in april in Ca ! wow.
love the article . great info. thanks for sharing it.
well i need to get my peppers in bigger pots and give em a nitogen shot LOL they are in stall mode. i was being lazy and well i have been sick too. but i think its more on the lazy side LOLLL
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7745213

My Bulgarian Carrot that over-wintered is blooming like crazy and begging to get outside. (Good thing I didn't listen or he'd'a froze his little buds off last night!)

Soon, real soon...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America