Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Can I reuse potting soil?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7569708

I saved the Miracle Gro soil that I started my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants in from last year. I completely dried the soil and I stored it in plastic bags in a building. There were no problems with any kind of diseases last year. Can I start my seeds in the same mix this year? Thanks for your response.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7571140

get the soil somewhat wet, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until there is moisture beading up on the plastic wrap. I just learned this from this forum.
ralphb
Homosassa, FL

February 27, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7592701

I re-use my potting soil if I have a failed plant from a cutting or seed, I mix it back in with some new. I have never had to sterilize the soil but you can if you wish. Any time you sterilize the soil either by steam or microwave you change the PH and also need to add nutrients back in. I make sure I clean and rinse out my old pots after each use though. Soak them in some water with a little bleach.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7598338

Keep in mind that if you microwave the soil, everyone says that it stinks to high heavens. A couple of people said in the past that they have an older microwave in the garage that they use. You also have the option of baking it which I understand is stinky as well.
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7598784

[quote="pennefeather"]Keep in mind that if you microwave the soil, everyone says that it stinks to high heavens. A couple of people said in the past that they have an older microwave in the garage that they use.[/quote]

Thank you, thank you! Now I know what to do with that extra microwave which I didn't need... until now.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7599060

I have been using this method to kill seeds in seed starter so I can reuse. A little bit of odor, but not that bad

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America