Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Help! seeds I tested coverd in something nasty!

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mjb1281

February 18, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7570065

Here are some pics... I set these peas up to test on 2/12 and they've germinated, but are covered in this nasty stuff. tiny black dots and spider webby type white stuff all over... is it mold? If so, how can I prevent it, are they destroyed, and can I still use seeds that were on the same towel, but don't ahve mold on them yet?

Also does this mean my entire bag of seeds is affected? Thank so much for your advice!

Thumbnail by mjb1281
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trc65
Galesburg, IL

February 18, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7570153

My guess is that is an adventitious mold that occurred from mold spores in the air that landed on the peas. Or it could be that the one pea the "threads" (mycelium) are surrounding could have been the source of the spores. It doesn't look like a plant pathogenic mold as the one sprout looks healthy. With pathogenic mold, you would see discoloration of the root and other plant tissue and I don't see any of that. I would go ahead and plant the unaffected seeds.

There are literally hundreds of different fungi that you will see associated with soil and seeds that feed on decaying OM. Remember though, very few of those are pathogenic and even fewer of those exhibit symptoms with all that external mycelium.

There are many things you can use to prevent fungal pathogens on seed/seed development ranging from conventional chemical treatments such as Captan (my usual treatment) to many other non-conventional treatments that anecdotal evidence supports such as H2O2 and chamomile tea. However, remember these are preventative and not curative.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 25, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7586588

I would place the seeds in a glass and wash them with dilute hydrogen peroxide.
Dilute the 3% down to about 1% by mixing one part of the 3% with two parts of water.
Dry the seeds you are not using right now.

Many seeds come with microbes attached!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America