Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Close-Up Lenses

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 13, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
11:51 PM

Post #7570368

I'm fairly new to DSLRs and I just purchased a 55-250mm zoom lens for my Canon Rebel XSi. While reading through the product manual (I know, I can't believe anyone reads these manuals either) I came across a short blurb that said I could attach a close-up lens to my zoom lens that would allow me to photograph close-up objects.

I have several questions about this:
1. Do the close-up lenses really work? They don't look much different than the filters you attach to a lens and I don't understand how a simple looking piece of glass can change a zoom lens to a macro lens.
2. How exactly does it work, anyway?
3. For about $75 on Amazon, the close-up lens seems more economical than a new macro lens, but will a macro lens provide better performance per dollar in the long run?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7570945

GardenSox,

Close-up lenses really do work. You are right, they simply screw into the filter threads of your existing lens, much like a filter. A macro lens can provide higher quality close-ups, but for a lot of applications, a simple screw-on close-up lens is good enough. Incidentally, $75 seems rather high for a simple close-up lens, unless it is a multi-element achromatic close-up. What diameter are the screw threads on your Canon lens?

ZM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7571174

It's a trade off. While close up filters do indeed work and are cost effective it seems like it would be a pain every time you wanted to do close up work to screw on filters and unscrew them to do "normal" photography. A macro lens is a simple mount and you can go from close up work to normal work with no extra prep work in between.

Here is an article that might help make up your mind.

http://photography.timtrott.co.uk/closeup-filter-vs-macro-lens/

PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7571894

Macro lenses are the top of the line in regards to macro photography with best image quality and versatility at a high initial cost
Single lens filter type screw on macro attachments are at the bottom of the barrel in regards to image quality and versatility but are low cost
Multi lens filter type macro attachments like canon 250D or 500D have a better image quality than the single lens type but it won't be macro lens quality.
Another option is the use of extension tubes with which you maintain the image quality of the lens you use them on while increasing the magnification of the lens.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
1:03 AM

Post #7572861

Thanks for the replies. The attachment I referenced earlier that was $75 was the 250D or 500D. Although I checked again today and they are $85 now.

I'll have to check out the extension tubes.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 15, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7795929

I have a Canon XSI and found a simple inexpensive reverse macro adapter ring works well too. I got mine for $4.95 on ebay. I also purchased extension tubes but still prefer using the reverse macro adapter ring. Also purchased a bellows...but haven't even come close to being comfortable using that.

I tend to take lots of photos all the while swapping between macro mode, using a close up 10x lens, using extension tubes and using the reverse macro adapter ring. You have to be adding the 10x lens or extension tubes as well as invert the main lens when using the adapter ring so if you're trying to take a photo of something moving you're not going to have lots of time.

I photograph butterfly and moth eggs, caterpillars, chrysalids etc. to document their life cycle.

Am still practicing on the depth of field with the reverse macro adapter ring - the edges tend to be out of focus...but it sure does a good job for $4.95!

Here's a Golden Headed Scallopwing Skipper egg taken with the reverse macro adapter ring. I resized it to post here but you can crop any original high resolution photo to get a closer look. The butterfly egg is about the size of a dot on the letter i.

~ Cat

ps...if you browse the post on this link - I have other photos on there as well as initially carried on a discussion with a fellow DG'er on what to buy to take macro photos.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084366/

This message was edited May 16, 2010 6:09 PM

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7834252

A good set of extension tubes are well worth the money. Especially compared to the cost of a "true macro" lens. The close-up lens work but you have to remeber this... they are extra glass that is added to your lens..which means less clarity, less light transmission, etc., etc...you get the idea..
Study up on the extension tubes and how they work and I think you will be well pleased with them.
Be sure to post some pics from whatever set-up you choose. ;^)

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 27, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7835254

DWMike - I find the reverse macro adapter ring gives me a closer image than the extension tubes. Just how many extension tubes can be stacked? I use three for now.

~ cat
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7835597

TexasPuddyPrint wrote:DWMike - I find the reverse macro adapter ring gives me a closer image than the extension tubes. Just how many extension tubes can be stacked? I use three for now.

~ cat

Hi TPP...I know that you can stack up to 4 ext. tubes, don't know beyond that. As for the reverse macro adapter ring..well... I don't have any experience with it so I cannot give any info on that set-up either way. Have a great day!

If you like macro photography, you should check ou this guys stuff..very impressive!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/

This message was edited May 28, 2010 8:41 AM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7835791

Back in college we used a Polaroid Land Camera with a bellows extension all mounted on an enlarger stand so we could rack down to very close distances. We could tell the time on the wrist watch of the guy driving the car in front of the treasury on the back of a $10 dollar bill. (Just kidding on telling the time but you could see the guy in the car with his hands on the steering wheel).

Is it time to check out a microscope attachment?

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 28, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7836856

I purchased a bellows but can't seem to get the grasp of how to use it. No instructions came with it. Ah, the perils of purchasing from China!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7836957

Attach your bellows between the camera and lens. You then adjust your bellows until you get the focus you want - best used on a tripod or some other stationary support. Does the bellows you have offer auto focus and (or) aperture?

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 29, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7839875

I didn't see anything showing auto focus or aperature. It has a rail type base that sits flat on a table or such and you turn a knob to move the lens back and forth. When I am able to get something in focus it does take a nice photo but I really need to prowl the internet for instructions and practice :o)
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7847873

The knob is for fine focusing. You can move the camera or subject to get crude focusing to begin with. The bellows is like extension tubes but with infinite control between a minimum distance to the maximum racked out distance (instead of stacking tubes).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America