Photo by Melody

Orchids: Bc Maikai 'Mayumi' - My New Plant - Help!

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 6, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7570409

I got this Brassocattleya Maikai "Mayumi" through the mail. It's got 25 pseudobulbs, 5 new growths (all headed different directions), and has previously bloomed. SOMEWHERE under all these roots is a 3" pot! I'm thrilled with the purchase...and understand this is a quick grower and flowers easily.

My question is whether this needs to be divided, or just potted-up. Just getting it OUT of this little pot is going to be a task...and I'm sure some roots will be damaged, as they're stuck to the pot itself.

Any advice on how to best care for my new child? Here's a picture. Thanks...

Scott

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7570411

Another view...of the crowded pot...

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7570502

Check the AOS videos here for answers, Scott. http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Video_Library&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=20&ContentID=5725
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7570716

Good stuff! I guess I'm pleasantly surprised that viewing these videos doesn't require AOS membership. Thanks...

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 8:23 PM
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7570740

Looking at this nice clump - I am very bad in splitting plants. I usually let them grow and only split if they simply become too heavy or too unmanageable for some reason. This way I get a nicer show when in bloom. At this point I would probably stick the whole thing as is into a suitable sized Teak basket ( or other basket/pot of your choice) and call it a day. The roots look very healthy and they will surely attach to the wood. If you water sufficiently often, you wouldn't need to add medium, or use only enough to anchor the plant.
Now if you are trying to sell pieces or share with friends, that would be another story.
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7571251

Thanks, Ursula. I think I'm going to be greedy and keep the whole thing.

Are you saying put the whole plant -- including the original pot -- into a new basket? If so, that's probably the only way I can do this without damaging the roots (because the pot is plastic, and the roots are stuck). I have a large, chunky potting mix that would suffice for, as you said, simply anchoring it.

Thanks very much! I'm hoping this proves to be a nice specimen once in bloom...and I agree that it should put on quite a show, if left intact...
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7571313

Yes, I would not rip the roots off the pot, and I would leave the clump undisturbed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America