Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Sorrel: Sorrel Soup

Communities > Forums > Article: Sorrel
bookmark
Forum: Article: SorrelReplies: 6, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7570698

Growing up--we kids were often sent to the meadows to pick Sorrel for soup.

My sister, who lives in Alaska, grows it in her garden just for that purpose. It is almost like Spinach Soup--but has a definite sour taste. I only remember that it was seved with chopped, boiled egg in it--and, probably, a dollop of Sour Cream. We ate ALL soups with Sour Cream mixed in it. Have no idea what else went into that soup--but it was pretty good.
I also remember that there were 2 kinds of Sorrel. The one you describe, Sharon, sounds more like the one we used to call "Horse Sorrel". This one was not used in cooking...It was rough and had those stalks with reddish-brown blooms...

The culinary Sorrel is extremely high in Vit. C and other good stuff.
Gita
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7570879

Thanks for the information, Gita. The soup sounds good.

Sorrel is the common name for several plants that are similar, I think, it would be interesting to see them blooming all in a row, wouldn't it? We'd probably each remember or identify a different one.

So good to hear from you. I hope you are surviving this very strange winter.

Thanks!
Sharon
edelseu
Hicksville, NY

March 8, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7613839

Sorrel was used in "the old country" to make borscht; we used to buy it in jars in the store when I was young. We always ate it with sour cream. My mother used to make a similar Spinach Borscht, also served with sour cream.

Gene

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7614119

Gene,

What "old Country" are you from?
I was born in Latvia. Emigrated to the USA in 1951.

Gita
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7614890

Sounds interesting, I've never seen it in jars, though.

edelseu
Hicksville, NY

April 5, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7682491

Gita - It was my grandparents who came from "the old country", which was Russia before it was the USSR, around the turn of the (previous) century. And, actually, my paternal grandparents came from what is now Ukraine.

Sharran - the sorrel soup that was in the jars was called "Schav", which is a Yiddish name for the soup. I liked my mother's spinach borscht better.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7683290

Gene, your mother's spinach borscht even sounds better!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sorrel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fun irisMA 1 Feb 19, 2010 4:20 AM
Wonderful article mom2goldens 1 Feb 19, 2010 4:25 AM
Another plant I know nothing about Elena 2 Feb 19, 2010 4:47 AM
sorrel in salad campsharyn 1 Feb 23, 2010 12:47 AM
Sorrel drink cybercrone 3 Feb 24, 2010 12:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America