Still Chatting...

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072784/

Springtime at Garvan Woodland Gardens in Hot Springs, AR---they have planted over 100,000 tulips (and 175,000+ Daffodils) for this spring!

Thumbnail by duckmother
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just posted a thread for the trip to Rita's

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1076926/

Thought i'd share the link here.

I'm looking forward to it, even though I won't have as much money, I also don't plan on buying any tropicals, so I can save my money for perennials LOL

Ripley, MS

I wanted to wait about replying to that thread until I see if Terrye is available to go
Thanks for the new thread Kim

KA----ANSWER YOUR PHONE! ;o)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

YES MAM!! he he.

The best buy of the day...2 orchids. The big one had its flowers sitting in the pot...knocked off by something or someone. The little one had dropped all but 2 of its blooms. However, they both still have little buds...I don't know if they bloom or not. Anyway, I paid 3 dollars for the little one...originally 15 dollars and 5 dollars for the big one...originally 27.00!

Thumbnail by duckmother
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

You did get a great deal! Hey, we have a listing for Garvan in Go Gardening here: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/4173/ if you want to share pics of the gardens in full bloom and/or a review. It sounds beautiful.

Woodland Park in Tulsa does a similar spring display, and it is breathtaking. When we lived there, we had a good friend who was a professional photographer. I took DD one spring and had him do a photo shoot with her in her Easter finery, surrounded by tulips. It's one of my favorite "baby" pictures of her. Now she's 14 and she still likes girly dresses with layers of tulle - at least on occasion ;o)

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

duckmother what you have there are two healthy specimens of phalanopsis. Yes they're a type of orchid. Make sure that you have some sort of humidity below them (like a tray with pebbles and water). They like high humidity. Also allow the potting medium (it's not soil) to dry out between waterings. When you water hold them over the sink and really drench the pot so water runs out the bottom fast then wait till the pot is dry ( 1 to 2 days usually) before you water them again. Feed at least monthly. Superthrive is a great additive to their water. If you can give them good air circulation (like a small fan not pointing straight at them) even better. In nature they attach themselves to tree limbs and bark. Air flows freely around the roots and leaves.
They will need repotting at least yearly into new potting medium. Walmart often carries the right stuff for this job. If you replace the pot the best ones have extra large holes at the bottom for water to drain off.
Sorry if you already know all this.

MollyD

Okay, Terry, I will do that. I have not been to Woodland Park in Tulsa...sounds like I need to take a mini-vacation ;o)

No worries, Molly, I can always use advice when it comes to orchids. I already have 2 dendrobiums...which just finished blooming. I have a friend that has over 200 varieties of orchids...I don't plan on ever becoming that nutty for orchids...hostas, that is a different story ;o)) Thanks for the info.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

our lowes has a bunch of orchids for 5.00 they are the big pots like yours. I have no goodlighting in my house or I would have got one or two. I don't do orchids that well.

LOL That is where these came from!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was going to ask where you got your orchids Kim but you answered my question! I got a huge pot of mother in law tongue last week at Lowe's for 5.00 and a couple of other smaller plants for a 1.00 each. I have a spot in my den I keep a live plant but it doesn't get a lot of light so I end up having to replace the plant every couple of years. So I just sliced off a piece of the mother in law tongue and put the rest in another pot. I know that make silk plants, but I just have an aversion to those in certain places.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I need to start buying up the pots to build my pot man.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I could spend the whole spring traveling to different gardens. Thanks for sharing that Terry, my dad lives in Joplin MO so that would be a great vacation sometime!

I've never owned an orchid and wouldn't know where to start. This house does not get much sunlight inside at all, and I don't have anywhere to put any plants, and Dave won't let me put up hangers for baskets, so that's out. pptttthhhh.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Crissy, I could do the same thing, but then I'd never get my own gardens in shape or planted, LOL.

I hope all of you have had this gorgeous weather this weekend. We've been out in the yard both days doing stuff we should have done in Nov/Dec/Jan, but it was always too wet and rainy, snowy, or too cold to get out and do it. Gotta go take some Aleve so I won't be sore!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone - just a quick note to let you know that I received a text from Trish earlier today that Caleb is to have surgery tomorrow. He is doing good and has been moved to the burn unit, I assume to prepare him for surgery.... and will return to there after surgery. I received another text a few minutes ago that the surgery is scheduled for 8 in the morning. They are going to work on his hand and upper arm, and also evaluate a place on his lower leg to see if it needs a skin graft since it is burned deeper than they originally thought.

I told her we would be praying. I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Genna

Ripley, MS

Thanks Genna, I know that she is very nervous about the surgery

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna we appreciate your keeping us up to date. Will be lifting Caleb up in prayer!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I haven't heard anything this morning, so I assume that means they are on schedule - or at least close to it........ he should be in there now.

Genna

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Just got a text from Trish that Caleb is just now going into surgery. They had an emergency come in so it pushed his surgery back on the schedule. She asked me to thank everyone in advance for their prayers!

Genna

Prayers ongoing! Thanks for all the updates, Genna.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Praying for him here Genna

MollyD

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Just checking in. I hope good news is coming. thanks Genna.

Ripley, MS

Still waiting here too

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Anxiously awaiting the udate here too. Keeping nothing but positive thoughts on his outcome.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 7:18 AM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry to be so late getting a chance to post the update. I had to take Jessica to the doctor in El Dorado this afternoon and I was on my way there when I received Trish's last text. Caleb came thru surgery well, but has grafts on both hands instead of one as they were expecting. They did not do a graft on place on his arm or leg - just scrapped the place out on his arm. He is on a pump for pain and is expected to be in the hospital 7 days after surgery.

I know tonight and tomorrow will be rough on them so please continue to lift up prayers.

Genna

Ripley, MS

thanks Genna, I hope Jess is ok

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear he made it out of surgery OK. I don't really know anything about skin grafts, but would think that is going to be painful for him. I also hope Jessica is OK.

Madison, MS

Hi

I'm new what is Rita's?

Cedar

Ripley, MS

http://www.randolphsgreenhouses.com/
It is a wonderful nursery in Jackson TN
Welcome to Mid South

Welcome to Mid South Forum, Cedar! Feel free to chime in anytime. We are a fun loving bunch!!!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Welcome Cedar!! Great to meet you!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Cedar! Welcome!

Madison, MS

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome--I live in central MS and love to dig in the dirt, it is my passion.
Glad to talk with others that love the garden.
Cedar

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

hello Cedar! You will love it hear on Mid South...... we all love to dig in the dirt! :) and chat..... ^_^

Trying to reach Trish to find out how Caleb's night went..................... will let you know if I hear.

Genna

Ripley, MS

Cedar, after you dig in that dirt, what do you plant? I am a daylily lover, but I also love all things that bloom. I am no good at veggie gardening, but love my flowers
Sandra

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Got Trish - she said Caleb had a good night but just got thru going thru debreeding and dressing changes so he was resting.

Genna

Madison, MS

slcdms,

I plant lots of flowers and I do have some daylilies and iris, etc. I have started winter sowing this year and so far I'm having luck with my seeds. I do try a few veggies.

Se

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cedar what are have you winter sowed and how are you doing it? I'm trying for the first time this year and it is all new to me.

Madison, MS

cperde,

I have Marigold's, lupine, rain lily, zinna, sweet williams and many more, some have started developing second leaves. I winter sowed in milk jugs. I also had some plastic containers that bed linen was packaged in that zipped, so, I sowed in cut off plastic cups and milk jugs that I cut the top off and placed the containers in the plastic and zipped, this has worked well. I have yet to transplant in containers from the jugs, I hope it goes well, I also started some holly hock they are easy to start.

Sue
Cedar Cottage

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 4:41 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.