Communities > Forums > Propagation
Forum: PropagationReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7572024

My seeds are sprouting nicely- they are in pure coir- should I feed them with diluted liquid fertilizer until they are big enough to pot up in bigger pots, or are they too young to feed? I know seedlings should not be over fed, but this is the first time I am using coir. Usually I have used potting mix, and not fed until after the first moving up.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 19, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7572143

I tried the cocoa coir for the 1st time this year too and just found out that it has little to no nutritional value. I did fertilize with a very diluted mix. I would not use the coir again. My fibrous begonias formed the tiniest leaves 4 weeks ago and since have not grew at all. I'm not impressed at all with that cocoa coir stuff
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7572367

Thanks- I think it is a good germinating medium, but don't plan to use it for growing on- it will be good to mix in with my garden soil- I like that it doesn't compact.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America