Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Best variety for Hot Pepper Jelly?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 15, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7573010

I am really a wimp when it comes to eating hot peppers... With the exception of Hot Pepper Jelly!
I love it.!!!
So what varieties have you grown that are suitable for jelly?
I've seen some references in a few threads but didn't want to hijack them for my question.
I am starting seeds and would like to grow some for that purpose. Thanks for the suggestions.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 20, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7573257

I have a sweet confetti pepper- I will look to see what is in it.

My friend makes the BEST hot pepper jelly and she floats this tiny tiny red pepper in it and I assume that is the pepper also flavoring the jelly. I will email her and ask her what is in it.

With creme cheese---it is great
in green beans cooked on the stove - it is great

I tried to baste a turkey with it once... oven too hot or I did it too early ...sugars burnt the turkey skin

I reduced it down with sauteed sweet vidalia onion and some wine and made a sweet sauce for beef and it was great. And I added it to roasting yams and it was great. I am a big fan!!
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7574120

Those are great suggestions, Missingrosie! Thanks for sharing them.
Some uses I would never have considered.
I can see I am going to have to make a huge batch. LOL
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 20, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7574333

Cyndie as a yankee in the south... I first tried with creme cheese on a cracker and was hooked. And then my friend gave me some jars for Christmas and so I got to experiement.

The confetti sweet pepper is so pretty in the jar - I still have not checked out the ingredients. But I will and I will email the friend to see what she is using in hers.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7652856

Curious on this one myself!
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7652918

Here's a link to a Habanero Gold Jelly I made last year ... in fact I made up a couple of batches of it. The only thing I did different from the recipe was use a stick blender to break up some of the solids. Mine still had small red flakes from the peppers floating in it. And I didn't have habaneros ... I used a combination of other peppers I had grown, both hot and not so hot. I could just make a meal off of this with cream cheese on some wheat thins.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Habanero-Gold-Jelly-132932
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7653331

Thank you for that!
So, what you are saying is, we can use any of our "hot" peppers and it will work? I was just afraid some of them would have a weird taste if I chose the wrong variety. Guess I worry too much. LOL
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7653340

someone gaveme a jar of hot pepper helly and one of the ingredients was jalapeno peppers. it was pretty hot but not so hot that i couldn't eat it.

cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7653354

Thank you for that suggestion!

I have TAM jalapeno seeds. Do you think they are hot enough?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7653361

i don't know what TAM jalapenos are but hopefully someone lese can answer you.

cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7653374

They were produced by Texas A & M, (TAM) I just don't know if they are hotter or milder than the regular jalapeno, or just about the same.
They also have a "fooled you" jalapeno that has the taste, but no heat.
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7653385

TAM Jalapenos are very mild ... hardly any heat
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7653391

Okay- will look for something else... What do you grow?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7653457

may i suggest a big bomb cherry pepper. i think they would be perfect.

p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7653464

last year I had fatali, datil, tobago seasoning, aji angelo, fish, fresno, aji dulce, lemon drop, garden salsa, congo trinidad, ancho, chilaucle rojo, costeno amarillo and some sweet bells. If my life depended on it, I couldn't tell you which ones I used in the jelly ... just got some yellow ones, some red ones, some I knew were really hot and some that were milder. The only really hot one I'm growing this year is bhut jolakia. Fresno was a favorite last year and I'm growing it again this year along with garden salsa, ancho and the aji dulce. I'm also adding Numex suave orange, anaheim and holy mole. If you have any that are hot I would think they would work. If you're afraid of it being too hot, just mix in some milder peppers to make up the volume.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7653477

Thanks Herbie and p1mkw,
I do have some of those hot cherry peppers and also some garden salsa, and anchos, so I think I will make out okay.
Thanks for your help.. Now to go get some more seeds started. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America