Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Just Wondering About Wilfred's Seeds, Part Two

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 151, Views: 846
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7574897

Just Wondering About Wilfred's seeds, did they sprout for you?

We need your photos!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065442/

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 20, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7574909

I'm not sure who your asking Melissa, you know that mine sprouted! But while I'm here I wanted to ask if anyone has heard or used Food grade Diatomaceous Earth either for pets, themselves or plants. Every thing I read about it sounds too good to be true (and you know what that usually means) I decided to buy 5 lbs and just came in from "powdering" my black sapote tree, and tomorrow sill do my orange tree since it has no flowers on yet and I won't be harming any butterfly's or bees. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience with it before I go hog wild and everything in my yard turns white from dusting. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7574912

OK! Looks like we're just barely holding on to you, Wilfred, and now the Brugmansias are going to get you! Warning: you absolutely can not over water or over feed a Brug. They are the piggiest plants on Earth! And there's a well established Brugmansia forum here on DG.

I'll send you a link to the "new place" on Monday. Then you can look around without having to register.

OK,

and Hi everybody! Boy, that thread took forever to load!

Photo is a Wandering Jew, or Tradescantia.

Melissa

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7574918

Jim, you're quick!

DE is made of microscopic sea critters, and be VERY CAREFUL to not breath it, can be extremely irritating to the lungs Better not on animals.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 20, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7574933

Microscopic "dead"sea critters :-), hmmm, instructions say to rub it into my cats fur? The tutorial even shows a guy mixing a spoonful in a glass of water and drinking it. Sasha, my cat doesn't have fleas, so I won't do her, but I'm thinking those nasty Sri Lankan weevils, hence my desire to dust every thing in sight outside, and maybe even in my kitchen to prevent ants. I will be sure not to breath it, although I don't think it could be worse then that dust from the volcano I read about. I'm thinking that the cold weather we've experienced just may have killed off the weevil's so will wait and see if they show up again this year or I will be swearing it was the dusting that killed them off. Heck, it killed all the iguanas, why not the weevil's?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7574936

I'll go see if I can find some photos for you, Jim.

OK, magnified greatly, of course. Make sure your's is "Food Grade" Lots of little spikes and sharp edges.

http://www.theothersideofthefence.org/images/diatom1.gif

Melissa

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 5:34 PM
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7574952

I have never heard of that stuff but I wont be using it anyway'

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7574974

Well, golly, here's more

Diatomaceous earth is an all natural by product of our planet's changing environment. Made up of the fossilized remains of microscopic phtytoplankton, this dirt is an absolute death trap for anything with an exoskeleton. It's also very effective on gastropods (slugs), but not quite as much as on exoskeletal bugs.

The key to DE is it's composition. As the phytoplankton fossilized, they did so with lots of teeny tiny sharp edges poking out. Was the fossilization continued, the shape of the plankton was set into 95-98% silica. As we all know, silica is one of the best dessicants on the market, widely used in those little packets you find in just about everything nowadays.

These jagged edges pierce the waxy protective layer of the exoskeleton, opening the bodily fluids to the dessication effects of the silica. This, obviously, is a very bad thing for the bugs. The bodily fluids are rapidly depleted by the silica, leaving one very dead bug.

Imagine crossing the Sahara, but instead of sand, it's tiny shards of glass, and you get the idea.

To the safety aspect, it doesn't get much better. 100% safe for humans and pets, it's often used to treat medical conditions. In pets (and less food scrupulous humans), it is used as both a flea and tick dust, but also internally to kill off intestinal worms. In the food grade form, the worst side effect from direct inhalation is sneezing. I wouldn't try that with a No-Pest Strip

This safety margin means that it can be applied at any time. It is not a liquid, and so can't effectively be absorbed by the plant via the foliage. Sprinkled on top of the medium, it provides a dual purpose. Fungus gnat larvae live in the medium, coming up through the surface to begin they're life as gnats. With a layer of DE on the surface, they never get the chance. As you water the plant, the DE is driven farther into the medium, where it can be taken up into the plant as a silica supplement, which is good for the plant both in root health and the support structures, making it more resistant to attacks.

OK, I was thinking about the woman who said her chickens developed coughing and lung problems. But maybe she used too much or something.

I don't know the difference in Food Grade and Swimming Pool Filter Grade.

Melissa

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 5:44 PM

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 5:45 PM

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 5:45 PM
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 20, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7575111

This is a little off track but I have a terrible time with vine borers on squash and gourd plants. I wonder if putting DE on the stems would stop the worm from damaging or ruining the plant.
Thanks, Helen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7575138

Really off topic, SqV borers seem to dislike vertical 'vines' I train mine up stakes. Now, I need to get rid of those huge green stink bugs, the virus spreaders. DE might help.

Melissa

Crown of thorns plants at the Ag fair---

Thumbnail by Molamola

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 20, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7575140

Helen, not off track at all, from everything I've read it would work great on your problem. I've read everything Melissa wrote above plus hundreds of pages more. This stuff seems to be the answer to so many problems I can't understand why it's not more popular. If you google Diatomaceous earth make sure you read food grade, there is another grade that they use for swimming pool filters that is not safe for consumption, and not good for animals. The other problem is that I could only buy it on line, it cost me about $13.00 for a 5 lb bag and another 12 for shipping. I understand that farmers feed this stuff to horses cows chickens it just seems to have so many uses, and is so safe, but it is a very fine powder and like Melissa said, I don't think ya want to breath it in. Jim
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 20, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7575145

Oh, one problem is that you don't want to put it on any flowers because it will kill bee's also. But b-4 a plant flowers no problem, Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7575213

On the soil around flowers should be good.

Lessee, what kind of photo can I bug you guys with this time...Hmmm... aha, some old stupid guy on my deck...

Thumbnail by Molamola

helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 21, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7575766

Thanks Melissa and Jim,
I am going to get some DE and try it on my squash.
Helen
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7576372

Don't breathe DE. It can act like asbestos or fiberglass in your lungs! The fibers/particles can get in your lungs and your body can't get them out.

I have read good things about it in articles/websites on organic gardening, but haven't tried it myself. Although, if it gets rid of these blasted fungus gnats it may be worth the bother. If I used it, I would wear a face mask. I wouldn't put it on my pets, either. It would be hard to do that without breathing it. The pets would breathe and eat it also.

Sounds like brugs are plants that even I wouldn't overwater, but I doubt they would like overwintering inside for the winter - too cool and dry. Someday, I will have a greenhouse or garden room, but not today.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 21, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7576383

GQ, Lots of northerners overwinter their brugs in a near dormant state, in their basements and other odd places that don't freeze.

Yes, that one lady used DE in her chicken's dust bath, and the poor birds all developed bronchitis. She's incensed.

I have Coleus, and umm, 'dislike' things that hurt my plants, too!
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7576474

I'll have to keep that in mind for brugs. At the moment, I am trying seeds of their relative-datura. People seem to overwinter them dormant or in the fridge (no room in my fridge, but keeping an eye on freecycle for a small fridge for plants and such).

I hate bugs in the house even more than bugs on my plants. These little gnats are flying around my computer screen, sink, plants, driving me crazy. When I finally get a ride to Lowe's (and other places) on Thursday, I will have to look for sand and DE. People say to put sand on the surface of indoor plants to deter gnats. DE under sand may work even better!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7576603

Darn had this whole thread printed out then it went off.
GardenQuilts I posted in the Brug threads what I use and it works for Gnats, Spider Mites, Aphids, and other insects.
When you start seeds sprinkle this powder in the soil, plant seeds and water well, when starting plants, or replanting put the powder around the root, be sure to water well as the plant absorbs the poison throught the roots and is passed on to the bugs, yep I know your waiting for the name, it is
Systemic HOUSEPLANT Insect control, I got mine from Wal-Mart last year, I am sure Lowes also has it.It is hazardess to pets and humans so make sure it's out of reach and wash hands after using.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 21, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7576711

Thanks Doris. I have one poor little coleus, the kind with the tiniest leaves, that's just loaded. I sprayed with neem, and that just killed a lot of the leaves, booo!

Aww, poor guy, Doesn't look like that now, durn hateful mealy bugs.

I'm going straight to the garden center now...

Thumbnail by Molamola

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7576764

Thanks for the tip, Kareoke!

I'll be going to Walmart also (most likely will be cheaper there, but not always). Systemic houseplant insect control dust is on the list! Is it similar to Sevin? Do you know the active ingredients?

I hit many of my plants with sevin, but don't want to use it on my culinary herbs.

I have tried what I have on hand -neems, sevin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, chamomile tea, dilute peroxide- I seem to have gotten the mold under control, but am not making any headway on these little flying bugs. They are most likely fungus gnats, but could be whitefly, I may have both. They are so bothersome that I brought the bug zapper inside and hung it in the downstairs "guest" bathroom where my begonias and amaryllis spend the winter. It suits the decor, pots of dirt, bulbs hanging in bags and a bug zapper. The cat is the only one who uses that bathroom, anyway, she gets a kick out of the bug zapper.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 21, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7576771

Seeds arrived and I planted them per instructions. Bought a system that heats the seeds (10-15 degrees) so they will stay warm. I beleive the little things can grow, I believe!
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 21, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7576778

Good News, C! grow grow grow!

And, GQ, use as little Sevin as possible, that stuff is really nasty, as you probably know. And, yes, I know it's been around a long time.

We should have a whole website on fungus gnat control.

Melissa
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7576788

I know how nasty sevin is, which is why I still have a nearly full container of it! I wear a mask when handling any chemical, even when cleaning the bathroom! I just can't cope with bugs in the house. I can't wait until it is warm enough to move the plants outside! (I get like this every February, last year it was aphids, learned how to stop them with neems/baking soda/soap)
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 21, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7576800

Sometimes I think about collecting silk plants.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 21, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7576805

LOL no u don't! Bugs are part of the process. I have gnats in the plants at school and the kids are always complaining. I bought some sundews and now they want to see the gnats!
C
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7576828

My neighbor has silk flowers. You have to clean the dust off them, so they are not carefree. I have a single silk rose in the bathroom, that is it for silk flowers here. I was tempted by a silk orchid in a shop, but deterred by the price. it looked almost real, roots and all! Given my lackluster adenium seed starting efforts, I may have to find a silk one.

My neighbor was recently redoing one of her arrangements and said that her cat had peed in it. It was sitting on her dining room table in a large crystal bowl, don't want to even think about that. I have never dined there, but her place does suffer from "eu de chat". My cat uses her litter box and stays off the furniture, otherwise she would be homeless (or outside). At the moment she is sitting on my feet, purring. I'll have to wake her and tell her what a good kitty she is!

I love the excitement when a plant is about to bloom. If they were blooming all of the time, I might not appreciate them as much.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 21, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7576839

There is always buying a DR. I see them at home depot sometimes and they aren't that pricey, at least not the small ones. I don't have plants for the look, I have them for the process of growing, so no silk plants would work for me.
C

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 22, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7580018

Funny story here: when I moved to Florida, 5 years ago, I invited my DG friends over for dinner. I had planted a silk phalaneopsis orchid's bloom stalk in with a real dendrobium. Everyone was looking at it but not saying anything until someone bit the bulled and asked. Priceless.

Then, we were at a friend's and I told her how gorgeous her oncidiumorchid arrangement was, only to be told it was silk. I should always carry my reading glasses with me. My eyes are playing tricks on me. I'm not getting any younger.

Sylvain.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 23, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7580243

YarYar Yar, as in laughing.

I worked shortly for the Kaiser Aluminum Billionaire family. Betsy casually said, "Oh, They can't tell the Silk from the real'"

Lovely, civilized people. the 'old' money. I worked myself out of my job, repotting hundreds of Dendrobiums, and others, as well as the roses.

New money jerks bull dozed the place, then got caught, financially, the Stanford creep. I should have saved the flowers, by the trunkfull every day going home from work. I would have had hundreds of orchids now. But they (weep) are all dead now.

Can someone please tell me the difference between saving and stealing?
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7581027

If your 'Saving" it's not stealing but try to tell that to money people, they only know you took it.

Doris
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7581089

I have "saved" some bulbs when neighbors moved away and left them behind. I would make a terrible criminal. I discretely dug them up while walking the dog, under the guise of picking up after the dog. I am sure that I looked as guilty as I felt. Just as well, the real estate people go around with weed killer and weed wackers, killing everything except grass and shrubs.

Too bad that you didn't manage to save some orchids. It must have been tempting to propagate a few while you were repotting them.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 23, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7581594

Well, I wasn't living a stable life back then, and didn't have a place to give them a home.

I'm so accustomed to moving every year, or more often, that I haven't put many things in the ground here, even tho' I bought the house a little over a year ago. Odd me!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7581633

Here's my report on the seeds...

Wilfred's Seeds ---2 seeds germinated
Hybrid Seeds from Snowbelt Adeniums -- 25 seeds germinated

All of these are growing still. Some look bad, but most look ok.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 23, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7581639

Echin, how were the Snowbelt seeds packaged?
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7581660

I think they came in an bubble wrap envelope. I bet almost every seed they sent germinated. They look like a good mixture too. Some plants have red/purple tint on the back of the leaves and reddish stems. I hope they stay that way! Some have really light green stems, etc. Some dark green. It's obvious they sent a very good variety of seeds.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 11:28 AM
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 2, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7599647

Hi Everyone

I am finally back in my home. The volcano is really quiet and hopefully it will stay that way.
Most of my plants were destroyed.

My desert rose, all 200 of them are fine and looking a little dusty but they are all fine WOO HOO! But the best part was what welcomed me home.

Take Care
Tina

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 2, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7599652

Most of my DRs were in bloom and thriving, I was so happy!

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7599670

Awesome! They look great.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7599701

Oh what a great day. You are like a ray of sunshine on this otherwise damp, dready, rainy day we are having here. Your house is still in one piece, you're all right and you didn't lose your desert roses. They even bloomed. This is going to sound silly but maybe you should market that ash for desert rose growers. I would be willing to sprinkle it with a sieve on my desert rose. I shouldn't talk. Mine lost all its leaves in the cold weather. It is pushing more leaves out and a few blooms, too. Could it be that the most adverse conditions force the plant to perform more?

Anyhow, I'm glad you're back in your home safe and sound.
Sylvain.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 2, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7599919

Welcome back Tina, you've been missed. Your D.R. look great. Should I tell Sylvain how you fought through the spewing volcanic fire and dust to grab me some oleander seeds! :-) Jim
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 2, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7600193

Hello everyone, I've been lurking in the shadows, following this thread. My name is Deborah. Echi, I have a question for you. How did you plant your DR seeds? indoors under lights? I can't get any to germinate using Wilfred's method. I hope to try again tomorrow using a smaller pot. I don't have a heating pad as yet. I did put some seeds that I received recently in a film canister (with one of those silica pads to keep them dry) in the 'fridge until late this month or early next. I hope to plant them in a pot outdoors when it's warmer and safer. I know I'm taking a chance as they don't store well and should be planted immediately. But, everyone seems to be having success except me.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7600248

My seeds I used the cactus mix, wet it down well, then laid the seeds on top, and barely covered them, put under reg, florecent lights, some came up in less than a week some took a month, a lot never came up, i never got any of Wilfred seeds mine were purchased on the Internet.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 2, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7600421

Deebie, the seeds might not like refrigeration.

Anyone else think this? Dry, yes, but reefers are 40 degrees, no?
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 2, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7600444

Melissa, here I'd insert the "I agree" pop up from some other forum!:-), Deebie, I did the same as Doris, but if you read Wilfrid's thread how to make your desert rose etc, it's very important to just finely cover the seeds, I had a lot of problems till I understood that you can't put a fine cover on them with moist or wet potting soil. Actually, they should be covered no deeper then the depth of the seed it's self. I think that's the trick to the whole thing, except I am in S Florida and it's a tad warmer then it is there! I plant mine in trays and have them on the porch, no direct sun but lots of bright sun light.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 2, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7600502

Deebie.. I agree with everyone Do Not refrigerate. I used trays for mine & barely cover with potting soil. Make sure that it drains well. I would mist mine just getting the top moist. If the seeds get to wet they will not germinate. They need bright light and a warm spot..Try the top of your refrigerator (not in it LOL). I have heard a lot of people have success putting seeds there, it gets very warm.

LOL Jim you are soooo funny.

Thanks Sylvain..if you want to try the ash I have plenty LOL. I think the Desert Rose likes ash because the ash seems to be almost waterproof.. You can over water.

Thanks Clint..I was so happy to see the blooms I actually cried..I was so worried the would be dead. Plus looking around at all the ash the blooms were like the light at the end of the tunnel. Gave me something to focus on at the moment.

Take Care
Tina

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7600573

I never checked the temp in my refrigerator. It's been running for 18 months now and my involvement can be summarised by saying: I plugged it in and it did the rest.

You know how it is: one morning, the milk has soured in the fridge. When you're done uttering profanities, you think back and you remember buying that milk 2 days ago. You check the date and it's still good for at least 10 days. Your refrigerator is on its last legs. More grumbling usually ensues.

So, you go to the store and buy more milk, which goes bad in 2 days. The proof is in the pudding. You need a new fridge: no grumbling needed. I don't believe in having those major appliances fixed because they make such beautiful brand-new ones and truth be told, I love new appliances.

So, I got off my rump and went to check my refrigerator's temperature, which is plainly displayed on a digital pannel at the top. Yep, 36 Farenheit in there (2 Celsius): not exactly the kind of conditions a desert rose seed would encounter in the wild. I would even venture to say those seeds are toast. But then, what do I know?

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7603512

Thought I should post my pictures here, they are not from Wilfred, these are seeds I purchased from Thialand. this is Dark Knight

Thumbnail by kareoke

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7603517

no2

Thumbnail by kareoke

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7603519

No3

Thumbnail by kareoke

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7603520

No4

Thumbnail by kareoke

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 4, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #7603807

Hmm, deja vu! Once again, nice collection of very different personalities!

coconut
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 4, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7603999

Wonderful Doris, I gotta get off my duff and post what mine look like, but yours are great. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 4, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7604014

Jim, keeping warm there in sunny Florida? Some Winter! Boooooooo
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 4, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7604100

Melissa, I'm so tired of whining about the cold, I hate it hate it hate it,but, it makes for time to search the web and learn what I can about D.R.s, it's the little things about them that interest me, like just now I read where they should be re potted every year if possible! Plain and simple advise. I find it interesting that none of mine planted in the ground have died (knock on wood) but I lost lots of them in pots because I think of the constant change of being cold outside and too hot too quickly inside. But I still have enough to keep me busy. The plant that Wilfred sent me with three pods on it I thought it died, but low and behold it's got quite a few new leafs on it and I hope to re pot it just as soon as the arctic weather passes. Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7604354

Jim unless it is getting too big for the pot I don't think I would repot I myself believe repotting too often disturbs the plant and put it in remission I have my two large ones in the same pot for 5 years now, oh by the way I ordered a plant a couple of months ago, they held the plant untill weather changed, it is coming from Hawaii, it is Amazing Siam.

Doris
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 5, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7606271

Doris.. Who do you order from in Thailand? Do they have a good reputation? I am always on the look out for good reputable places to get seeds. Your plants look great.

Jim..In ground plants will always survive better then potted plants as long as they are established. The ground keeps the roots warm and moist as long as the roots are established below the freeze line. They dirt in pots do not stay warm unless they have a source keeping them warm.
In Texas I had a really huge pot that was to big and to heavy to bring in, it had my Plumeria in it. I use to stack bricks around it and let the bricks warm in the sun during the day and at night I would wrap the bricks and pot in a couple of old army blankets then cover that with plastic, the plant itself I would cover with a sheet (plus plastic if it was cold and rain). It always survived because it stayed warm. My neighbors would laugh because on really cold days when there was no sun I would be out there BBQing the bricks every few hours until nightfall so they would be warm enough.

Anyway..want to show-off some of my survivors..

Take Care
Tina

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 5, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7606276

another survivor

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 5, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7606282

and another

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 5, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7606284

still another

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

March 5, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7606288

Last one for now...Have a great day!

Tina

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7606713

They are looking great, I got the one I ordered today, it is very small but healthy and the company held it since Jan. waiting for better weather, that are a very good Co. in Hawaii
the ID in ebay is 7_heads, I also ordered seeds from thaiperfect_gems also on ebay, both companys were very good.

Doris
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 5, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7606725

Has anyone ordered seedlings from snowbelt adenuims? I want to order some small plants of certain varieties.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7606734

Don't know them, are they in Thialand, if so make sure you check about the import cirtificate you must have for plants, or they will confiscate your plants, and you are out, the company is NOT responable.

Doris
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 5, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7606769

LOL no, they are in NY.
C

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7606789

Gorgeous adeniums, Tina. Than ks for sharing them with us.

Sylvain.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7608110

Well make sure they grow them, if they get them From Thialand, and then sell them they could be too old by the time you get them, DR seeds must be fresh to germinate.

Doris
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 6, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7608222

I am pondering if I should order small plants or seeds. I am not having luck with germination.
C
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 6, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7608267

I think a cheaper way would be to D-Mail Wilfred and ask him if you sent him the postage would he send some seeds overnight express. Then again, I'm not sure they have that in P.R. If he would do it, you'd be assured the seeds are fresh. Jim
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 6, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7608301

Wilfred has been extremely generous and sent me seeds twice. I have 2 from the second batch and none from the first. I know its my technique so I am thinking when it warms up here I might have more success sowing them out of doors. I would definately like a few more plants to work with, so its either seeds again or to buy the actual seedlings.
C
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7608372

Hello to all my friends here and I hope all are well, just wanted to say don,t think that just because I don't post on the forum much lately that I don't read it, in fact I do almost every day at least for five to ten minute a day, its just that I seem not to have all the time I used to with all the things I've been doing lately.

Tina, I really Glad you finally at your home again and well, your DRs look gorgeouse indeed, really happy they made it though the volcano ordeal you have there.

Doris your seedlings look great, can't wait to see if they come close to what the parent plant looks like, that would be wonderful.

Jim, I think the most important thing when planting in a bigger pot would be the potting mix your using and the type of pot that you pick, preferably a clay pot. I,m thinking of trying an experiment with one of my small seedling, I planing to plant it in a really big big pot with a potting mix of 50% river sand mixed in to it besides the per-lite I usually mix in it to see what happens after a year and take photo of it monthly to kept track of its progress during the year.

Clint, want to ask you, did you plant the seeds I sent you right away when you got them or did you stored them for a while while you were moving to your new home, also how cold was it when you receive the seeds, maybe they got expose to the cold weather for a long period of time and died before you had a chance to plant them.

Sylvain, how are yours comming along, have any germinated for you, post some photos if you can to let us see them.

Cheryl, don't worry about not having to much success germinating from seeds, it happens to most of us in the beginning. I'll send you some more, just have to remember to give them enough warmth to germinated and some sunshine.

And to my dear friend Melisa, were are the photos of your DRs, just because you don't have blooms on your plants doesn't mean you can't take interesting photos of the plants themselves, remember DRs have other qualities most plant don't, like their caudex.
BTW, your lizard friend has some relative over here, think they might want to visit him over there, LOL! Jim was lucky to get weather cold enough to get rid of them in Florida, their a real nusense over here, the eat everything that we enjoy looking at and boy they stick when the die, worse than ten dead rats together.

I'm planning some new things for this year to post them on the forum for all to see and enjoy, to bad I don't have a video camera I cold tape with, besides I wouldn't know how to post it. They should have a video section here in DG, maybe that would help me explain better what I do with my DRs and why I do it. Well that all for now, till later.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7608441

Wilfred those look WONDERFUL, good to see you.

Does anyone besides me think DG is running VERY SLOW since they worked on the site this week, mine is terribly slow, but nowhere else.

Doris
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010

Post #7608456

Doris we must be on the same track somehow I was about to ask the same thing, its very annoying how slow its gotten, sometime I click thing twice or more thinking its my desktop PC. Don't like it at all.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 6, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7608482

Wilfred, I'm sooooo glad to see you posting again, your seedlings look great, I think I lost about 75% of mine because I wasn't fast enough getting them indoors. I haven't made up my mind to re-pot or not, I can't see a reason to do it. They ain't busting out with roots or anything, but I think maybe I'll keep them in the same pot but put new soil in just to freshen them up a bit. I will only do that to half my seedlings till I'm sure I don't hurt them all. Can you believe I'm just now understanding that there is a big difference in seeding soil and seeding mix! I think it was Melissa that mentioned lots of sticks and stuff to help drainage. I'm slow, but in the end I do learn! Don't work too hard Wilfred. Since I read that they are going to cut saturday deliveries will that help you get some rest? Jim
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7608611

Hi Jim, nice to heir from you my friend, hope you don't get frustrated at loosing such a high percentage of your seedling, will send you some more seed soon so you can stock up again your DR collection.
Think you should wait until weather gets a little warmer before you do anything with your DR seedlings, colder weather slow down their growth quite a bit a so does recovery if any get damaged in the process.

Like I said before, even the wises learn something new every day, sometimes trying something new doesn't mean you'll be successful all the time but you will learn something new all the time, like what works and what doesn't. I have a saying, if you don't try you'll never know if it worked or not. Life is about learning new thing every day no matter how small it may seem.

BTW, I'm noticing that every one is posting less and less photos each time they post, I would like it if more of yous would post more photos, in my opinion that's what attracts more people to the forum to join us and share their experiences with us and that the way to motivate more people to try these wonderful plants. also like to thank all those who wright their names at the end of each post, it makes it more friendly and easier to direct comment and answers to the person directly.

Your Friend Wilfred

This is one of my first photos I posted here, photos don't have to be always new, just something to make this forum more attractive.

Thumbnail by WQP

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 6, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7608635

LOL, message heard and understood! as soon as the weather warms up it's my intention to take more up to date photos, especially since I've lost a lot of the ones I've already taken pictures of. Soon I'll post pics of the survivors. Jim

Thumbnail by Jimsned2

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 6, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7608638

What the heck is going on with this web site? It took forever to post one lousy picture! and then when I checked the post and enlarged it I couldn't return to the forum? I had to sign out and come back on.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7608674

DG's new owners just moved to a new server, whatever that means. I know if I had to move a household's contents as huge as this website, a few boxes of cereal would end up in the hall closet, and the car would not be in the garage! and it'd be a few days getting the 'bugs' straightened out.

Melissa/Molamola/coconut

This message was edited Mar 6, 2010 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7608739

Jim, there's a mix named Jungle Mix that drains well. Go to a real nursery, not an overgrown five and dime, and ask about the different mixes they offer, and be sure to ask for stuff that drains almost instantly.

JT (gone2seed) has successfully grown DRs from seed by the hundreds, he's commercial with greenhouses. He starts with one seed each in what look like 4" square, plastic, haha.

He posted a photo of two that'd split their pot open! In less that a year, no? You reading this JT?

wow, got mixed up and thought I was a coconut!!

melissa

This message was edited Mar 6, 2010 3:33 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 6, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7609115

Melissa, I've started using Jungle growth a few months ago, they have it at Lowe's, and I like all of it better then the common one, I think just the name makes me believe I will have success, bet that stuff has never even seen a jungle unless maybe the Florida Everglades
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7609186

I must be lucky, becuase I have sucessfully germinated seeds that I have had for at least a month more than one time.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7609208

OK, if Jim likes Jungle Mix, I'm heading for Lowe's tomorrow morning and filling the back of the Pacifica with bags of that stuff. I have planted half the seeds Jim sent me at the beginning of December, following the instructions to the letter and nothing came up. I have already confessed numerous times to being notoriously useless with seeds. I am not alone. I have a friend who does not start seeds anymore. She doesn't even buy green bananas.

I almost fall in that category but for once, just once in my life, I would be able to have bragging rights and claiming I grew this gorgeous (insert plant's name here) from seed. But, I am nothing if not persistent. So here's the plan: jungle mix and adenium seeds tomorrow morning, come He77 or high water. I'll keep you posted.

Wilfred, I will take pictures of my 2 desert rose babies tomorrow and post them on this thread. They are hanging in there but we're still a far cry from having bragging rights about a full-grown, gorgeous adenium. It's a promise.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

P.S. Here is a picture of me by our cruise ship in our Dec. and Feb. cruise. How delightfully achronistic: Post Scriptum, like I couldn't go up a few lines and just type it here. I am showing my age; sorry about that.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7609331

Jim I understand how you feel about this site, since they shut down for 3 hours this week it takes forever to go from one page to another even without the pictures, drives me crazy.

Doris

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7609410

I am sorry to be the fly in the ointment. I have read that same complaint from other members in other threads. I can't say I am experiencing any of these disruptions. It's business as usual at this end.

Sylvain.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 6, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7609577

Uh, oh, some reading for everyone!

http://cubits.org/containergardeningwith/thread/view/1084/

You'll hate me when you see it, long long, BUT very important info!! Here's one little bit:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a scale of 1-10, with growing in gardens and beds being a 1, and full hydroponic growing being a 10, container culture is about a 7 or 8 - much closer to hydroponics than growing in the ground. This is why a medium that breaks down very slowly and retains its structure/aeration, along with a good soluble nutrition program is so very productive and healthy, from the plants perspective.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is totally important information, and a lot of it actually caught me by surprise. I haven't done much container gardening before...

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 1:58 PM
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 7, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7610131

A lot of information but some very good information too. I was thinking today as I looked at my sad houseplants that I do not repot them enough. I don't have many things in pots but for whatever reason I am lazy about making sure they are in good soil etc. I baby my inground plants, fertilize dig in compost and make sure they have all they need but not so with my pots. After reading that mans article, I realize I need to spend more time (and of course) money on my potted treasures.
Anyone know where to get fine pine bark?
C
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 7, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7610174

Melissa, read that link, I'm feeling overwhelmed with information, but it was interesting. I'm on the container thread because I've been giving container growing a lot of thought, but for now I think I will just stick with giving my D.R. most of my attention cause I'm on overload!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7610428

I tried to warn you!!!! Jim, your DRs, some of them, are in containers, aka pots.

It basically boils down to potting MEDIUM, not soil, and fluffy for air, and, beyond drainage, wicking away that bottom airless part.. I now know why my coleusses get droopy but yet they die if I water them. And this is why our poor little Desert Roses rot! Waa, never again.

I have read that through, and the third time you read it, it gets easier. I highly recommend re reading it, several times. As you absorb all that info, it gets easier and even more interesting. I think that could be a whole week's seminar!

Now, another one!! Fertilizer!! Wheee! (hint: quit using the super bloom booster!) (hint #2, salts build up is wasted fertilizer in imbalance)

Once again, don't plan to read once. Just run through it the first time, then after a day or so, go back and read again. We look at our plants over and over, we can read what this man is telling us a few times. It really does get easier, until you finally say, "I know that!" OK, go for it
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 7, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7610595

I've got a better idea, I'm just going to read what you post! While his information is much needed, I'll leave it to others to translate it into info I can understand. I get more from just regular folks then I do from people who with all due respect, are master gardeners and just speak above my head. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I find that the older I get the less I am able to absorb. Jim

Thumbnail by Jimsned2

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010

Post #7610638

OK, ya got me.

The fertilizer discussion begins with osmosis. Fluids balancing through a membrane, the rootlets' 'skin'. This is not a definition of osmosis, ok.

Pure water is absorbed best, but there's no food. So, water with a little bit of fertilizer, complete with micro-nutrients is best.

Fertilizer burn happens when the fert in the water is too strong: "too high, the plant may have a large store of nutrients in the soil, but because of osmotic pressure, the plant may be unable to absorb the water and could die of thirst in a sea of plenty."

"Our job is to provide a solution of dissolved nutrients in a concentration high enough to supply nutrients in the adequate to luxury range, yet still low enough that it remains easy for the plant to take up enough water to be well-hydrated and free of drought stress.

"What if I said that the nutritional needs of all plants is basically the same and that --one fertilizer-- could suit almost all the plants we grow in containers - that by increasing/decreasing the dosage as we water, we could even manipulate plants to bloom and fruit more abundantly? Itís really quite logical, so please let me explain.

" Nutrients donít often just suddenly appear in large quantities in nature, so the low and continual dose method most closely mimics the nutritional supply Mother Nature offers. Low dose fertilizer every time you water.

"You will still need to guard against watering in sips, and that habitís accompanying tendency to allow solute (salt) accumulation in soils.

"

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7610705

OK, I accidentally hit send. How am I doing with this? I am really learning! OK, back to editing.

" Your soils should always allow you to water so that at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied passes through the soil and out the drain hole to be discarded.

"If nutrient availability is unbalanced - if plants are getting more than they need of certain nutrients, but less than they need of others, the nutrient they need the most will be the one that limits growth.

Your fertilizer should be in a ratio of 3-1-2. Chemists have found that plant tissues have NPK in a ratio of 3-1-2.

Never 1-2-1, which is what this Miracle Grow Bloom Booster is, at 15-30-15.

read on!

"What about the high-P "Bloom Booster" fertilizers you might ask? To induce more prolific flowering, a reduced N supply will have more and better effect than the high P bloom formulas.

When Nitrogen is reduced, it slows vegetative growth without reducing photosynthesis. Since vegetative growth is limited by a lack of N, and the photosynthetic machinery continues to turn out food, it leaves an expendable surplus for the plant to spend on flowers and fruit.

" Popular "bloom-booster" fertilizers like 10-52-10 actually supply about 32x more P than your plant could ever use (in relationship to how much N it uses) and has the potential to wreak all kinds of havoc with your plants.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, break time!!! I really am editing out a lot of what he's saying.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7610733

Whew!! Almost done. Now you have an idea about the why's, weakly, weekly is the saying. Now on to recommendations and brand names,

Al says:

What is my approach? I have been very happy with Miracle-Gro 12-4-8 all purpose liquid fertilizer, or 24-8-16 Miracle-Gro granular all-purpose fertilizer - both are completely soluble. I incorporate a granular micro-nutrient supplement in my soils when I make them (Micromax) or use a soluble micro-nutrient blend (STEM).

I would encourage you to make sure your plants are getting all the micro-nutrients. More readily available than the supplements I use is Earth Juiceís íMicroblastí. Last year, I discovered a fertilizer by Dyna-Gro called Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. It is a 3:1:2 ratio like I like and has ALL the primary macro-nutrients, secondary macro-nutrients (Ca, Mg, S) and all the micro-nutrients. It performed very well for me.

When plants are growing robustly, I try to fertilize my plants weakly (pun intended) with a half recommended dose of the concentrate at half the suggested intervals. (1/2 strength, twice as often as recommended)

When plants are growing slowly, I fertilize more often with very weak doses.

Itís important to realize your soil must drain freely and you must water so a fair amount of water drains from your container each time you water to fertilize this way.

This year my display containers performed better than they ever have in years past & they were still all looking amazingly attractive at the beginning of Oct when I finally decided to dismantle them because of imminent cold weather. I attribute results primarily to a good soil and a healthy nutrient supplementation program.

What would I recommend to someone who asked what to use as an all-purpose fertilizer for nearly all their container plantings? If you can find it, a 3:1:2 ratio soluble liquid fertilizer (24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6 are all 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers) that contains all the minor elements would great.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, now for some easy reading, SCROLL DOWN,,,go read comments at:

http://cubits.org/containergardeningwith/thread/view/1095/

Whew.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 1:47 PM

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 1:49 PM

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 1:50 PM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7610847

Wilfred, if you don't have big enough writing to read yet, go there, they are quick to help.

If anyone is using Internet Explorer, you'll be better and safer to download Fire Fox. free, and you'll be very happy with it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Cheers!

Melissa
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7610910

What is wrong with IE I have no trouble and it's free.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7611001

IE is so widely used that's where the hackers and virus makers are. I hope you have a security system in place, like Norton Anti-Virus. Even then they get through sometimes. Clever bad guys, evil for the fun of hurting people.

I had a 'worm' once, don't ask me what that was, but the tech guy's eyes got big when he told me.

And recently I clicked on something, erghhhh, my mistake, that got me a Trojan, which is a robot that gathers your passwords and other confidential information. But it didn't work, as my computer is too different internally. I don't need to spend money on a security program right now, as Apple/Mac is too small to interest the bad guys.

Melissa
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7611093

well so far IE is all I have ever used since I first got a computer,and also so far no problems, and I do have a good Virus protector.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 7, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7611162

Jim, that's an absolutely gorgeous red, by the way. I bet the photo doesn't do it justice!

Thumbnail by Molamola

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7612865

Melissa, thank you for all the effort you put into this. I really appreciate.

I am a diehard Miracle-Gro user. For potted plants, I do the fertilise weakly, fertilize weekly thing. The instructions on the Miracle-Gro box indicate " so much powder in a gallon of water, once a month". I don't have any on hand here but you'll understand. I use 1/4 the amount they indicate by gallon of water and I apply it every week. I mix a large pail of it and use that for my potted plants. I basically lay off the fertilizer during winter. I will restart my fertilizing next week. The weather is warming up here (finally) and it's time I treated my garden to a good time.

Also, I can't find the link you posted to that gentleman's article. Am I missing something?

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7613014

Well this program is changed now I cannot see all the print on the page without moving the bar below,whoever they moved to it is NOTHING like it was, and I will not renew my membership if this keeps up.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 8, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7613132

LOL, Doris! If you look at the bottom left of this page, you'll see a little orange thingie, which says "DG is using FIREFOX Safer, Faster, Better. LOL, that might be the bugga boos you're having, you are on IE.

And I KNOW you didn't want to hear that!!

Melissa

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7613136

Doris, before you quit on us, maybe your screen's resolution is to blame. Often,when Windows runs an update, I end up with the same problem you have. Try this and see if it helps:

Click on Start
Click on Control Panel
Click on Display (it could be under Appearance)

Your screen resolution should be at 1280X720 pixels. If it is not so, move the cursor to the right until it reads those values. Click on Apply and close the Control Panel window. it should settle your problem.

Don't be afraid to ask if it doesn't work, describing what happened.

You kin dew it!
Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7613143

I am on IE. I will not install FireFox because I figure there is enough el crapazoida running on my machines already and I have had no problem with DG or any other site, for that matter. FF may run DG, fine but so dies IE. To each his/her own and the world keeps turning gently upon its axis.

Sylvain.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 8, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7613152

IE no problem! I am a Mac user now, so it doesn't apply to me, I am using something named Safari.

I edited back in the links to the (Other Place) We'll see if the links do or don't disappear again.

Melissa
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 8, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #7613185

lemme try posting a photo----

Thumbnail by Molamola

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7613346

Hi,all.

As we say in french: Chose promise, chose due. Loose translation: something promised is due. I promised I would post pictures of my desert roses, so here we go.

First, this is what's left of my big $6 adenium after I brought in one night so it would avoid cold damage, over a month ago. It lost all its leaves and it's doing its best so that the neighbors will think I am mistreeting it. It is perking up slowly.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7613349

Here is a close-up of one of the new growth points on the above plant.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7613354

Here is a picture of one of my DR seedlings. This one looks OK for now.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7613358

This other seedling doesn't look so hot. Florida is slowly pulling out of a bad cold spell. For now, I will choose to blame that for my troubles.

Sylvain.

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 8, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7613444

Your potted big plant is about typical for what I'm seeing with my in the ground D.R. be aware that your seedlings are still too small to put out in direct sun for too long a period. I say this from my own sad experience, quite a few of mine burned up never to recover. Jim
Oh, I'm finished posting pictures on D.G. it takes Waaaaay too long.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7613484

Well I have NO PROBLEM with any other program and my screen resolutions are correct so it has to be DG,and it takes forever to get from one page to another, they sure screwed up somewhere, and I am not switching to Firefox.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 8, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7614116

Sylvain, you got that huge plant for six dollars!!!?? That'd be fifty bucks here.

Once you decide to repot, not real soon, a year from now? Take it another five inches out of the soil. A red is it?

waa, I wanna shop where you do.

Melissa
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 8, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7614125

I must comment again, Sylvain. I believe this is the first potted DR that I've seen that hasn't been pruned into lumpy deformity.

I believe they should not be cut.

Nice plant! Post blooms when they open!

Melissa

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7615340

I have told that story before about how I got Dierdre (my DR). I was visiting homes for a foreign client last July. That way, when they came to our area to buy, I could show only the best of the best. I went to this dilapidated house, where not even a light bulb had been changed since the Kennedy administration. Right away, I knew the house would not interest my client, so I made a swift tour and exited stage left.

As we left, I noticed Dierdre sitting in a broken-down plastic pot under the eaves. I asked about it and the daughter told me her dad liked plants. He bought them and stuck them there in their pots. Whatever grew made him happy. Well, the man must not have been very happy because there was a collection of pots with soil and dead branches there, you wouldn't believe. Since her dad had passed away, she hadn't paid the potted plants any attention at all. I figured that one out, too.

I told her I would be willing to pay $10 for it. She thought that would be OK. I opened my wallet and all I had were $6. I felt foolish. She told me she'd take the $6, so I paid her and dragged the plant into my car, where it barely fit. I was wearing Realtor clothes, the plastic pot was in tatters, the whole scene was a mess. I spread open a tarp in the back of my car and loaded Dierdre in there as best as I could. There were sand and ants all over the place when I got home but I was happy. Gail took one look at it and told me I was nuts. She said:"You paid $6 for THAT?" and walked away muttering something about my needing to have my brain examined. You have got to love non-gardeners because they know not what they miss.

I gave Dierdre a new pot ($22) and we've been happy ever since. Gail has even taken a liking to it and was just as distressed as I was when it lost its leaves at the onset of that cold front. We're both relieved to see that it is springing back now.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

March 9, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7615743

Melissa, I've seen Sylvains plant in person, and I think it's much nicer then the picture gives it credit for. He had talked about getting it and that it had a caudex, but wow, for whatever reason the picture doesnh't quite do justice to the caudex, and it's bigger then it looks. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 9, 2010

Post #7615783

Oh, I wasn't meaning to say his Dierdre isn't wonderful, because it is! The caudex does look like it fills the whole pot.

I just talk with a mouthfull of marbles and grits most of the time, and am misunderstood a lot.

Dierdre looks like she's never been pruned, and that's really nice!

Sylvain, do post another photo when the leaves are leafier.

Still gray and a bit rainy here, that's good, it's been really dry. I got eighteen inches of new water in my cistern, hooray!

Melissa

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7617320

I encourage Dierdre to come back to its former glory but I have to be patient and let it recover at its own pace.

Just for a sizing reference, that pot is 19 inches in diameter and 14 inches high. The caudex is about 17 inches in diameter.

We're expecting rain tomorrow and maybe Thursday, too.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7628471

The sprouts that I thought were adeniums (?adenia) from the second batch of seeds were probably weeds in the potting mix. I am keeping it under lights and on the heat mat for a while longer, giving the seeds a month to germinate, but I am not optimistic. Argghh. When the weather gets a bit warmer and the days longer, I will have to try mail ordering seeds/plants.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 28, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7663095

Jim's gone quiet.

Hey, Jim, hope you're OK!

Melissa and Doris and everyone else.
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7664208

Hello all!
I am new to this forum, DG, and adeniums. I came across them by chance in an article in Martha Stwart I picked up while waiting at the docs office, talk about lucky! I fell in love with them instantly and began my search. After a month or so of searching I gave up then one day on ebay I decided to try looking there and came across some great DRs. I purchased 4 plants(two of which my mom claimed) and over 2000 seeds(I couldn't decide on favorites so I got a variety pack). All are doing well(once I get my camera figured out I will post pics). I started about 80 seed pods and in 3 days had 20 seedlings, today is day 8 and over half have sprouted! I'm so excited. So now I have a lot of seeds left and no where to plant them. I don't want to see them go bad so if anyone is interested, d-mail me or post on this forum with the type or colors you want and I will do my best to share with everyone(at least until I run out). I have all the types listed on my have list and if you wnat to see pics of the flowers, most of them you can find on google or ebay. All I ask is you send a bubble mailer to me with your address inside and enough postage for me to send them back. Happy gardening everyone!
Michelle
Ok guys, I am gonna put the trades on hold for a bit to fill the ones I have received and see where I'm sitting at, don't wanna promise something I don't have. Wilfred has offered to help me grow them so we can attempt to get more seeds and share again. Thanks everyone! I will post an update on my inventory as soon as I can.
Michelle

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 12:51 PM
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7664347

I have sent you an email.

Melissa I sent Jim an email I was worried about him, I got an answer he is helping a neibour who has had a heart attack, said his plants are dying from lack of care, I told him plants can be replaced but he can't. he said he will get back as soon as he could.

Doris
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7668312

For those who have been asking, I found pics of some of the adenium seed types I am sharing, hope you can see it. The individual pics in the collages are marked as to what they are, just click on em and they show up quite well.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010 8:23 PM

Thumbnail by mnabity

mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7668316

Here is another.
Michelle

Thumbnail by mnabity

mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7668319

And this one is the dark love

Thumbnail by mnabity

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7763242

I thought I would post this picture of my adenium in bloom. It lost most of its leaves during a cold snap in February but it's a fighter.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7763245

A close-up of the blooms. OOOHHH, so pretty: good adenium.

Sylvain.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 4, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7763262

Michelle,
Did you use Wilfreds seed germination or use a different technique? Just curious about how people start them as I have had extremely poor results thus far. I have some new seeds and plan on starting them soon.
Cheryl
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7763385

None of mine made it, either. I am learning what not to do with adeniums.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7763596

I have great success with my seeds from Tiawan, I soak them as soon as they arrive ,overnight, plant in shallow container with Orchid mix, that has been soaked in water, slip the seed out of the shell, very easy, lay on top of the soil, then just bearly cover with potting soil, and mist it, leave them sit in bright light, should start sprouting within a week.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7764664

They need to stay rather wet while they're "incubating". 100% humidity, too.

Oh, about the seeds of all those different colored flowers. That's one parent. The other parent is most likely a pink that is really good at setting seeds, some do that.

So, if I said --- Gee, I don't know current celebrities! If I said, Robert Redford's son, you might think--- But who is the mother?Opra? Phyllis Diller? Ching Lang Lao? You might not see a little boy that was the spitting image of Mr. Redford.

I'm thinking about writing a short article, "The history of cultivated Adeniums" I cheat, I bought Mark Dimmitt's Adenium book

Yesterday it was sunny and warm, and I set my seedlings in their tray out in the sun. It's covered with clear plastic. I checked after an hour or so, and it was 110 degrees inside the tray, and steamy humid, and the seedlings loved it. I think I need a hothouse! It's a chilly 80 degrees tonight! lol.

Thumbnail by Molamola

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 4, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7764911

M,
Do you cover the pots? I have a mini greenhouse with a heat pad and a cover but didn't realize how much moisture they need. I see now mine were not wet enough. How often do you water once they germinate?
C
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7765027

As far as how often to water the seedlings, I think once they germinate I think it depends on your soil mix, lighting exposure and heat temp. that they are exposed to. You just have to make sure that they are not too soggy and that they do not dry out. I check mine daily. =)

The best success that I have had was to use a quck draining mix then sprinkle the seeds over that, then a thin layer of vermeculite. I have also had success covering them with perilite but the vermeculite has worked the best for me. I have started hundreds (litterally) of seedlings this way. I've given a bunch away as gifts and lost a significant amount this past winter but had some pull through and have started a lot of newbies!! =)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

May 5, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7765564

My first batch of seeds were a total disaster, I re-read Wilfreds instructions and determined that I was using the wrong soil covering them, what I was using was wet and difficult to put the thinnest layer of soil over them, then I found the very dry easy to sprinkle Miracle grow seed starting mix, covered them with that, then using very fine spray wet the whole container down. I think if your unsuccessful it may because your misreading what Wilfred says to do! I now get a 99% success rate with D.R.Seeds.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7765611

Jim I barely cover my seeds with seed starter mix, it is very fine soil, then spray mist them, once a day, works for me.

Doris
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7766854

Wilfred these are the 2 plants you sent me a long time ago, they still have not done anything since I got them, is there anything I should do.

Doris

Thumbnail by kareoke

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7766973

I had two in hibernation for some time, I finally put them outside to where they would get full morning sun and now a month or so later they are finally starting to snap out of it and show new growth.
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7775452

Here is some new growth after being out in the full morning sun for about a month, I didn't think it would take that long but I am just glad it finally has snapped out of it!

Maroon Star...

Thumbnail by PurePlants

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7775591

Good for you, I put mine outside then today it is in the 40s so had to get them in again, I sure hope mine snap out of it, maybe they miss Wilfred *LOL*
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7775610

40's?!? yikes! It has been in the 80's and 90's here! I hope it warms up for you soon!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 8, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7775944

My first Wilfred bloom, from a seedling he sent me. First time the plant has bloomed. The flower is larger that the other DRs I have. The edges are actulaly a lovely midnight blue. It's is fading somewhat , on the third day.

Thumbnail by Molamola

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7776875

Melissa that is beautiful.
This weather is killing my plants as I am not able to go out and bring them in ,or care for them,and my daughter does not share my love of flowers so it is hard to get her to do what needs to be done, and her time is taken up with caring for me, I wish these legs would start working so I can get things done but guess I just have to be patient.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 9, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7777066

Poor Doris, so sad. Perhaps you could start looking for plants that do well in the north, rather than tropicals. Seems like your daughter could bring in some of them, have you even asked? You're too sweet!

I hope you get better and better!

Melissa
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 9, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7777144

58 in TX this morning and trust me that is not the norm for this time of year. Some garden plants seem to be thriving and the tomatoes are loving cooler night temps then normal. Unfortunately I had to drag in the adeniums this morning because its calling for cool rain most of today. Doris I feel for you but one day you can start some new dr and take care of them yourself. Feel better and happy mothers day.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7777858

Another disaster, I saw gnats flying in my plant room, and my second to last batch of seedlings doing nothing,where the last batch that had clear cover on them were all sprouting, sure enough I moved the top dirt to look for seeds and all 99 out of 100 were gone, one tiny seed was sprouting, guess they were too full to eat that one.

I cannot fault my daughter she has had her hands full doing my work and taking care of me including helping me to walk where I needed to go, maybe the good lord will see to impove me this week as my daughter has to go back home, 6hr drive away, I do have another daughter who works, and a son close by.

Doris
mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8970327

Hope you're doing better now Doris.

I put my DR's in the greenhouse, but without any heat. We had a cold spell a week ago and they lost tons of leaves. Funny that a few are still blooming. I've been avoiding going out there because of some family health problems. Going to have a big clean up job.

Thumbnail by mpabbott1

mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #8970333

Here's the most interesting find that happened after I'd stopped paying attention to them. A seed pod. I didn't pollinate it myself - some kind insect must have done it for me.

Thumbnail by mpabbott1

mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8970340

Another smaller seed pod on another plant. I didn't pollinate this one either. I had planned on trying my hand to it this next year, but someone did it for me again.

Thumbnail by mpabbott1

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #8971028

Good morning Mary, nice to see you posting here again.like you I have seed pods too, strange though because I had 4 at once two of them split open a month ago but look at the size of the other two, and show no signs of splitting yet. sure is strange,

Thumbnail by kareoke

mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #8973578

Hello Doris,

Nice to see you. I'm down to just half a dozen Brugmansia because I decided that I would only do things in pots that are small enough for me to move myself with my back problems. Adenium meet that goal and are pretty in their growing season. Not so good looking now that they dropped a ton of leaves. LOL

Mary
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #8973847

I have all my plants in my plant room and they don't lose their leaves the temp is 75 and glass on three sides, only thing I fight are spider mites, and I get rid of them with a heavy soap/water spray.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #8994070

Hi everyone! I just renewed my subscription to Dave's tonight. Is Wilfred still around? How is everyone?
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8994188

Good morning, sorry to say Wilfred has never been back.
The brugs and Adeniums I have are doing good, those two seed pods still have not aplit, it's unbelievable.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #8995665

Does anyone still have his address?
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #8996322

Sorry but Daves and cubits email no longer works and I lost his pers. one when my puter crashed but he never answered any emails.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America