Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Bee problems

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 6, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sunnytx
Ligonier, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7575888

We have a large bee hive next to our house behind our dwarf yaupon shrub. It is very easy to get to. I have called several bee keepers in our area and they want up to $700.00 for removal.

I can remove the hive and bees myself but I don't know what to do with them after removal. I don't want to kill them.

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by sunnytx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sunnytx
Ligonier, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7575891

Another photo of them

Thumbnail by sunnytx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drosgarden
Pahrump, NV

February 21, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7576927

Hi There,

Great photos and I wish I had those bees here in my yard...
The beekeepers here on the site should give you some good ideas...
DRO
sunnytx
Ligonier, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7578097

I wouldn't mind them if they weren't 10 feet away from our front door and my hubby wasn't allergic to them. I don't want anyone to kill them. I really need to know what to do before it warms up or before they start to swarm.
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

February 23, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7580831

Sunnytx love the pics. At this time of the year there only two thing you can do. You can have the hive destroyed or leave it be till mid to late April when they can be hived. To be honest by the lack of bees in the pics, I have a feeling that the hive is failing or might have already failed. The fact that you get a good pic of the hive is also telling me that the bees didn't build in a good spot and the winter might have took a toll on them. If you want them removed go to http://www.texasbeekeepers.org and they might help you. To let you know you might not find someone to take them for free because most beekeepers don't want to take a gamble on if they are African honey bees or not, or if the have any diseases.
sunnytx
Ligonier, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7581526

It was very cold outside when I took the picture. On our warmer days there are a lot of bees on the hive and around it. The bees, even when there is an abundance of them, have never bother me when I leaned over and take a closer look at the hive. They fly all around me but never try to sting me.

I was afraid that the bee keepers would be afraid of bringing diseases to their hives and I can understand where they are coming from.

I was hoping that I could remove the hive and put it somewhere else, maybe somehow attach it to a tree.

It would break my heart to have to kill them.
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

February 24, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7583433

As long as thereís a good strong cluster what you can do is place an Ad in your local paper, at all the beekeeping groups and even on Craig list. It is important not to try to find them a new home till the tree start to bud. Most beekeeper I've ever talk to love free bees as long as they are healthy or not so far gone that they can me treated. As far as paying 700 dollar for removal I think thatís outrageous only because they are only going to spray them with bee killer and remove the comb, from the way the pic look it only a 15 min job.(Do the math thats $2,800 an hour) If they take them to be hive in a yard they shouldn't charge, after all you saved them 150 dollars.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America