Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

February 21, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7576063

In years past I have germinated seeds under florescent lights set up in a large picture window that faces south. I actually wonder if I should put some seedlings in a darkened room and give them 16 hours of florescent lighting because if I don't get to them to rotate them everyday they really LEAN to the window and sometimes get very leggy. Is going with only the florescent setup actually better than combining it with Mother Nature's good old sunshine?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7577394

What an interesting question. I use ONLY florescent light, and have for ten years and do not have the leaning problem. I suspect that if you eliminate good old Mother Nature you will eliminate your problem (doesn't it seem almost blasphemous?)

Donna
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7577413

How far are your lights from the tops of your seedlings? If they're more than a few inches above the tops of the seedlings then the seedlings will tend to get leggy even if you take away the sunny window.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7577740

I agree with ecrane. I actually have three different lights, and move the seedlings as they grow (easier than adjusting the lights!)
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

February 22, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7578350

ANy thought on what happens to plants that become too leggy. Someone said tomatoes aren;t such a problem because you can bury a lot of the legginess in transplant, but what are the long-term effects on other kinds of plants? I mean, do they grow to become less productive or less healthy?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America