Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7576287

Welcome to the one and only Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #3 where we discuss the different possible solutions for problems faced by gardeners dealing with physical limitations of many types and levels of severity. At the moment, surviving until warm weather returns is our biggest issue.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065303 and, here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065317

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7579265

So what if we are actually physically phallenged, Jim? Where do we go then?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7579785

Hi to all my friends.
Just wanted you to know I am healing from my bumps & bruises and that God has delivered me from my severe fibromyalgia pain and I havn't worn my pain patches in over a month now + not even takigt the strong pain pills that I have been on for about 6 years!! Just some NSAIDs for my lingering arthritis.
Praise the Lord!!!

Love & prayers,
BirdieBlue / Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7580829

Good for you Sheri. Keep up the recovery. Maybe you'll feel like planting something or looking for baby birds.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7581075

LOL! I always look for Spring and the emergance of new life , be it flora or fauna. Baby birds are truly my weak spot. Especially the Blue ones (and, sorry, but I don't mean Jays)

wingwaves from BirdieBlue!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7581236

Hey, Birdie, how terrific that you're feeling so well! It warms my heart to hear that. My DH has been suffering terribly from his arthritis recently - I wish he were the type of person to take advantage of an online support community like ours. Hugs to all - Carrie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 24, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7583372

Physically Phallenged folk are welcome here too. We are fully inclusive. :- ) Hey, Carrie, do you think there is anything to music therapy? I don’t think Stella’s mom (Amargia’s newest resident) is going to respond well to horticultural therapy. We took her to church with us though and she has a high, sweet, pure voice and really seemed to lose herself in music. (Her speaking voice is low and rough edged. That she could sing was quite a surprise.) People under stress need a way to escape for a while. To get absorbed into something other than themselves and their own troubles. It may be hard for folks on this website to believe, but nature doesn’t work for everyone. She is a city girl so the subtle beauties of a winter landscape are under her personal radar. Maybe, Nature will have more of a positive impact on her come spring. Spring is coming, right? It is suppose to be back down in the 20’s again tomorrow night. (Grumble. Grumble.) This winter reminds me of the winter of 74. I think it was 74? That particularly rough winter in the mid-70’s, anyway.)
Glad to hear you are doing so well, Sheri. This newest remodel has left me with a lot of small lumber scraps to be made into birdhouses and there are still some birdhouse gourds from last year’s harvest to cut, clean and paint. I guess that is what I will be doing thru this LAST cold snap. (I’m an optimist.) I wonder if cavity nesting birds have a color preference. LOL.
Vickie, I like the pink flamingo with the purse planter idea. Can I bring the gargoyle in from “the back 40” where Kay banished him and give him “a man bag” planter. Maybe, I could dedicate an entire garden to such avant-garde art.
Leaf, I’ll try to get over to the other site to see what is shaping up. Time has been in short supply lately. It looks like Stella’s mom may be bi-polar. I don’t suppose, with all the experience you’ve had, I need to explain what things are like. She has young children which make it an especially difficult situation.
Bonnie, will your region be seriously affected by this latest cold front? Kay got some good news yesterday. She doesn’t have to go back to the ophthalmologists unless she has pain or notices visual changes. They feel confident she is recovering. Just slowly. They put her on the therapeutic vitamin regimen they put people with age related macular degeneration on. It is the only treatment for macular degeneration that isn’t still controversial. There are some experimental treatments not yet readily available that show real promise though. I will be watching that line of research and those tests.
Stella chewed up a special houseplant today so Kay has taken Cesar Milan’s advice and is establishing herself as alpha, leader of the pack. LOL. I always thought she just watched “The Dog Whisperer” because she loved the sound of Cesar’s voice. (Well, I know she has a thing for Ricardo Montalban’s voice.) Seems she was actually paying attention to what he said. There are some crude comments I am so-o-o tempted to make about Kay being the alpha of our little pack, especially since all three dogs are large breed females. (I know. I know. But, I spent 20 years in the military. Old bad habits are hard to break. What can I say? However, so far I’ve managed to show restraint. I don’t want to end up being the only dog that actually has to sleep in the doghouse. The she-pack sleeps in the kitchen. :-Jim)

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7583389

Carrie, I wish your DH would join us too. But some men just can't let go of their machoism in place of common sense.LOL
My DH would never have complained of his medical aches and pains to anyone but me. The only reason he did to me was cause i could read him like a book and knew exactly how good or bad he felt.

Jim, Please don't give the Gorgyle a purse. I love those beautiful ugly ceatures.They scare away evil spirits.
I've read somewhere that singing and group singing is good therepy and it gets one out among other people.Hope she comes to love the country too.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 11:24 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 24, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7583495

I wish he would too. It is scary always being outnumbered. LOL. If the opposite gender ever decides to gang up and turn on me, I haven't got a chance!
To be honest though, if a male nurse hadn't told me that women deal with physical pain better than men (It is common knowledge among medical professionals.) and, I hadn't decided to find out what women's pain tolerence secret was, I wouldn't be writing this. I purchased a DG subscription for Kay to encourage her to learn to use a computer. I had no intention of using it myself.) Ironically, the only coping mechanism I've found that is different, is women talk about the pain their in. That seems to be the only secret to their heightened ability to deal with chronic pain. LOL. If I had not learned this from experience, if someone had tried to tell me this. I wouldn't have believed them. Jim

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7584323

It's "common knowledge" among women that having a good cry or not bottling things up makes you feel better, then you turn to the next thing.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7587658

Okay, Vickie, I'll let him bring the gargoyle back into civilization if he doesn’t give him a “man bag.” Nadine had a gothic thing going just outside the back door. (There is a faux ruin at Chanticleer Gardens she thought was totally cool so she decided to do something “heavy and dark”.) That is how the gargoyle came to be here. She had the drainage ditch that keeps water from overflowing into Jim’s work room looking like a mote. And the bridge across to the back door looking like a drawbridge. When she left for CT and I took over I changed it to a nautical look. The dragon in the mote became a sea serpent and the drawbridge became a gangplank.
Little boys especially seem to miss the ugly little gargoyle and the dragon in the mote. It may be sexist, but I think there needs to be two different children’s gardens. One for the boys and tomboys (The gargoyle can reside over that one.) and one for the pretty and frilly crowd.
Doing the decorative work on the porch rail planter. Still getting down into the 20’s at night so I only have winter sown sweet pea seeds in it so far. Kay*
P.S. The pink, plastic flamingos still have to stay at the creek. I told the GC who gave them to me that flamingos need water. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7589422

LOL, good call, Kay.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7591256

Sure nuff good call Kay. Carries was too.I can cry for sad,happy and mad. Helps alot.
I think i'll be able to work outside next week.NO snow in the forcast and 50s and 60s for highs. What more could one ask for.
Kay, You sure give me lots of ideas for flowerbed ideas. But i always get outside and end up going completely natural.Well except for angels. I've got to do those purses tho.Been thinking about them all winter. Got one of my small checks today and went straight to town and bought several little windchimes at Dollar Tree before they sold out.
My want to and my cando have got to get together. I get exhausted doing nothing.
Everyone sleep good May your angel carry your pain away for the night.
Hugs
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7595301

Vickie, what kind of angel figures appeal most to you? One of my sisters started collecting all things with angels worked into the design. But, quickly began to run out of room so focused her collecting on seraphim. From the way she talks, I’m assuming in the language of collectors, cherubim are the child-like figures and seraphim are based on the adult human figure. Definitely, not what one learns in theology class, but artist and decorative art collectors don’t bother themselves with things like historical accuracy. I suspect if seraphim were always depicted as they were described, that work would most likely be collected by science fiction art collectors. As described in the Bible and Hebrew text, they sound more than a little scary.
When I was little there was a classic lithograph that hung over the headboard of my bed. It depicted two barefoot children crossing a rickety bridge over a mountain chasm with a guardian angel hovering over them. I wish I could find a copy of that litho again. As a child, I loved that picture.
Sheri, I’m going to hold off another week before mailing plants out. The extended forecast still has nights in the 30’s. It seems Spring is not going to arrive until the actual calendar date this year. It had BETTER arrive by then!
I will be so glad to finish all the hard-scaping. It is working with the plants themselves I enjoy. The hard-scaping is just plain WORK. I have to move some plants tomorrow before I can do the hard-scaping so tomorrow will be “fun” work. Well, I don’t think it’s a contradiction in terms. Some around here might disagree. LOL. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7596219

I love all angels from little cherubs to sweet faced to stern messangers. My favorite is probably Michael the messenger.I really beleive i have an angel that alwys drives with me. I have never had an accident nor a traffic ticket.And it seems sometimes someone seems to guide me in avoiding any. As i say this i remember last spring when i slid off into a deep ditch during a thunderstorm.The car just sorta headed gently into the ditch. I was'nt hurt nor was the car. A super nice State Patrolman came out and stayed with me till a wrecker came to pull my car out.He let me sit in the front seat of his cruiser and we talked about roses and deer hunting.God sends angels to fools and little children. Did you see the movie"The Seventh Seal" with Demi Moore?
Kay, I had the same picture of an Angel with the little girl and boy over my bed except it was a simple color print. I loved mine too.
I want to move my containers tomorrow. Which means i'll move one container and spend the rest of the day recouping.
I injoyed my split pea soup and will probably finish it off tonight.
Good night all
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 2, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7598695

Thanks for the seeds, Vickie. Kay is especially excited about the Nicotiana and, of course, I'm looking forward to adding another coleus to my collection.. Would you consider parsley in one of the purse planters? Do you use it in cooking? I thought of it as just a garnish before I came here. Didn't know about flat-leaf parsley. You probably still have a wait until you can plant basil, but parsley is an herb that thrives in cool weather.
Crosses are Kay's collectible. My favorite is one Kay bought from a man at the rescue mission. It is made from thousands of matchstickes and beautifully decorated. She collects them made from all sorts of materials and all the different styles. It is the only thing she collects, unless you count plants. I'm the collector in the house, everything from old comic books to Star Trek memoribilia.
At Kay's family Christmas party, they exchange tree ornaments. Most of them home-made. One year I was given an angel tree topper. It is crocheted, I think. But, somehow they made the crochet stiff. Have you ever seen one of those. It is my favorite Christmas decoration. I've always been curious about how it was made. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7598911

Jim, Some people heavily starch crochet and there is something in a spraycan at hobby lobby that is a permanent stifner.

I've seen some beautiful crosses.The plain ones make a statement by themselves. I have a tiny one made from marble. I saw one made from Railroad crosstye nails that i remember being impressive.
I love making Christmas ornaments. Right now i'm saving catfood cans for scenic decorations. All my famiy are over run with ornaments. As with everthing else i tend to natural decorations. Tho lately i'm getting into more formal stuff. Don't think that will last long tho.
I've got both kinds of parsley. Am going out for herbs in a big way this year. Sure hope my want to does'nt outdo my can do.I don't want to plant anything for another month. This years weather has been too weird.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7599567

(Nodding in agreement to everything just said.)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 2, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7599875

We got to talking about the movie, The Seventh Seal. It is available now on NetFlicks so we decided to order it.
We use a lot of parsley in cooking here so EVERYONE made sure to buy a package of parsley. LOL. Now, we will have to find even more uses for parsley. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7600310

Vickie sent me seeds!!!!
I guess I will be sowing some seeds this year - I wasn't sure.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #7601317

So, Carrie DOES believe in seed magic! Just remember you still shouldn't believe everything that man with the magic bean seeds tells you. .Jack was just one lucky dude. He really should have hung onto that cow! Kay*.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7601826

Vickie - Your sweet note and gift of lemon basil seeds really touched my heart. Thank you!! You are a special friend to share with so many of us.
I am so excited about the lemon basil. Lemon is one of my favorite fragrances and each year I have lemon thyme. I had not known of the Basil until I received your gift.

Love and prayers,

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7602633

Well gee, I had to do something to make myself beleive spring was coming.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7605623

Kay, Don't think i've ever looked on the practical side of J and the bean stalk. I would have taken the beans too.
Hope you injoy the Seventh Seal as much as i did. It's not a happy show. It's at least a 3 tissue show. The ending is still great.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7606894

Funny the way memory works over many years. We all remember the movie, but you would think to listen to us we were describing 5 different movies. There was a lot of "I don't remember that scene!" The best solution seemed to be to watch it all over again. Then, we can just settle in to arguing over how it fits into the history of cinema and whether or not it had cultural significance. LOL. That would be good. We’ve exhausted the “Was Doris Day really a great talent?”argument. We need something else to argue about. LOL.
Well, I guess it really depends on the type of cow and the bean. If it was a milk cow past her prime and the beans were Kentucky Wonder, it might have been a good deal. Personally, I’ve always suspected the magic bean seeds were Kentucky Wonder. We just aren’t given enough information about that cow to be sure how good the deal was. ROFL. I lay awake many hours as a child pondering the mysteries of my bedtime stories.
When the Nicotiana is in bloom, I’ll make sure to blow the scent in the direction of Arkansas.
Amargia received a wonderful letter from the elder sister of our sponsored child in India. She explained her little brother can’t write well yet and told us how the family decided to spend the last funds we mailed. I like the way this program is operated! A MUCH higher percentage of the money actually goes to those who need it and not to support the organization. That is a complaint I’ve heard about a more secular organization doing similar work. The family has real input about what to purchase with the money. After all, they know best what would be most useful to them. They bought cots to sleep on and a steel cabinet to store school books out of the damaging humidity. Jim said his back hurt just reading about sleeping on the floor. It does make us fully realize how much good fortune we actually have.
Better run intervene on puppy’s behalf. Jim just yelled “Stella!!!” She probably just stole his house shoes again. She doesn’t chew them up thankfully. She just collects every shoe she finds and takes them to her “house.” LOL. Kay*

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7610009

OH Kay, You just made my night and day tomorrow. The mental picture of Stella sneaking through the house with everyones shoes is a riot.I can't quit laughing. I'm picturing Scooby Doo. So i've probably seen it.
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your Indian child.
It helps to keep us aware that there are people everywhere worse off than us.
Mine are local and i don't do as much as i should.
I've got one Easter lily that blooms in June. I'll blow the fragrance back to you.
I bought a hand weed digger last year on sale at Atwoods. Have decided it's good for everything in pots. It's just a 2 prong longhandled fork.I used it to scrape a few leaves out today.
Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.
Vickie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7611469

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I am recoupering well, was in the hospital for a week in complete renal faiure from a virus. Kidneys are functioning at about 40% and have a long way to go before I am able to do much.

Not a plea for pity, just a request to keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7611893

Oh, Bonnie! You are definitely in our prayers. Thanks for letting us know what is going on. I was imagining you away lounging on a warm beach somewhere! I SO wish I had been right! Are the doctors expecting full recovery or was there permanent damage?
Vickie, Stella is a lovable brat. She seems to have changed her mind about men and decided to transfer her affections to Jim. This means, it is his attention she is always after so it is mostly his stuff she appropriates. He is the only one she will listen to. I think it is because he uses his Sergeant voice. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had her saluting by the end of the month. I learned today she is mostly something called a Walker hound. I don’t know much about dog breeds so I’m off to Google Walker hound. I hope her eating slows down as she matures. She eats as much as Taterdog and Fenny together.
Sponsoring Rahul is Jim’s way of balancing what he sees as Amargia’s “sexist attitude about who we offer assistance to.” 90% of those who have stayed at Amargia while they got their feet back under them have been female. I don’t really consider that sexist. We don’t have a lot extra to share so I like the idea of getting the most positive results from what little excess we do have. Even the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have discovered that you get the maximum bang for the buck investing in women. Women have a way of multiplying the investment and the society they are in benefits. The small loan program for women in India has done especially well. You have situations like the one where a woman took out a small loan to buy a sewing machine and ended up starting a business and hiring other women in her community. Ironically, this matricentric approach has done
Especially well in male dominated societies. Excuse me. I’ll stash my soapbox away now.
I was ecstatic when I read the weather report on my Home Page and learned lows would be in the 60’s. Then, I saw why. Rain, and more rain! Is that just a Deep South thing? Cloudy days mean trapped ground heat so temps are higher. Does it work differently in the North? Kay*
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7611953

Kay thanks for your thoughts. My adventure did start with a vacation, came home and was home about a week before I became ill with a stomach virus, uncontrolled vomiting and diahrrhea, and ultimate dehydration, which put me into complete renal failure. When released from the hospital last Thursday, my kidneys were operating at 40% and the Dr's are hopeful for a better recovery, maybe not 100%, but better.

I go back to nephrologist tomorrow for more tests which will determine the course of my treatment. Possible dialysis for awhile, so it is one of the "wait and see" situations for the present.

I did have plenty of time in the hospital to peruse the bird books and am anxious to get out and see what kinds of feathered friends are visiting my feeders. Thanks again for that thoughful exchange.

Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers and wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7613370

"Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers and wishes for a complete and speedy recovery." of course, you got it, Bonnie! Get totally well very soon!!!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7617473

Hope you are feeling okay today, Bonnie. I am curious about something. Is there a story behind your user name or did you just pull it out of the air? My memory isn’t all that great anymore. So I create these mental images to help me remember things. Jim teases me about the one I created to remember defoecat; It is a woman with a French accent (I borrowed the image of a French Resistance heroine from some old late night movie I saw.) The “foe” she does battle with is, of course, a wicked feline.
Jim saw something odd out the kitchen window last night. He stood there for several minutes unable to comprehend what he was seeing. He told me in a quiet, spooky voice there was a bluish-white glow flittering along the ground just on the edge of the woods beyond the w/c garden. We knew there was no one out there. All three dogs were outside and none were barking. He speculated it might be foxfire or something like that. Then suddenly, he doubled over laughing. When he got his breath, he marched out on the porch and bellowed, “Stella!!!” Stella came out of the woods carrying one of the garden solar torches in her mouth. I had mounted most of them on poles, but had left a few just stuck in the flower beds to light the front walk and accent some plants. Stella had snatched one of those. Don’t ask me why.
My GD said we need to mount one of the lights permanently on Stella’s potty tree for nighttime. After all, the woods are a dark, scary place and Stella is only a puppy from the city where the nights are lit up by electric lights. She explained Stella needs the equivalent of the Little Mermaid nightlight we put in the bathroom for her when she was small. LOL. Makes as much sense as anything I can come up with. Big, bad Fenny-dog is afraid of thunder so why should it surprise me if Stella turns out to be afraid of the dark.
Good to see your post, Carrie. I was a little worried about you. Any sign of Spring there yet? Kay*
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7617494

Kay, my screen name is a combination of a small town near where I live (defoe, Ky) and at the time was mom to the only cat I ever owned, hence defoecat.

Too funny about Stella and the landscape light, it probably would have scared the bejebers out of me to see that sight.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7617862

Bonnie, Hope all is going ok with you.You know you're in my thoughts and prayers.All that hospital stuff must have scared you to death too.Are you suppose to drink lots of water and liquids?

Wish i could have seen Stella and the light. Up here the first thought would have been"Good Greif! The bears are getting intelligent." We always blame everything on the bears.Kay you'll have to keep track of all of Stella,s adventures and write a book and become millionaires.Love the GD,s reasoning too.
Glad you posted too Carrie.

I've got crocus blooming,buds on my daffodils,a few Daylilly leaves poking thru.buds on my forsythia,and hyacynths a few violets showing. It's amazing what a couple warm sunshiny days can do.
Had doctors appointment and shopping to do in town today. Tomorrow i HAVE to clean house.
Hugs to all,
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7620367

Ya-a-a-a. ! It's here! Spring is finally here! It is amazing isn't it? Peaches and plums are blooming. Jonquils are in full glory. Not those anemic looking blooms that poke their heads up on warm winter days, but the exuberent, screaming yellow, real spring blooms with their rich bouquet. And, my absolute favorite, wild jasmine (aka: Carolina Jessamine.) Time to start planting in earnest!
The worst of the predicted rain missed here. A little farther north 4 inches fell today. Hope Scraps was spared the downpour.
When Mike (Nadine's Dad) was in dialysis, they actually limited the amount of fluid he could have. That surprised me. Relatively minor infections were the only kidney problems I had personal experience with. For that, of course, the doctors insist you drink as much water and cranberry juice as you possibly can.
Hope J. gets out of the hospital soon. Our daily visits with their 30 minute drive and sitting long periods in those hard molded plastic chairs is taking its toll on Jim. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7623857

It's actual, just like it's supposed to be, early spring up here. Earliest crocuses blooming - they're on the driver's side of the car and I haven't driven in 2-3 months, goodness gracious! But DH tells me they're blooming. I've been so busy (DD#2 "Super Sweet 16 party") plus reflooring my BR and the kitchen (which are real eye-sores) and as long as we're doing that we might as well paint, but in order to paint DH has to move all HIS JUNK out of certain areas.

IB (the company that bought Dave's Garden) has finally come up with contract language we Writers feel we can sign, so you can expect to see some *n*e*w* articles soon instead these re-runs.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7629873

That's great, Carrie. On one of the forums weeks ago, I read something about writers getting $10 an article. That was absurd! I can remember getting $50 just for a few paragraphs in women's magazines and that was back in the 80's. Better watch the home improvement projects. They have a way of snowballing and before you realize, you are remodeling the whole house! LOL.
Vickie, turns out we WERE talking about two different movies. Some of us were thinking about The 7th Seal and others The 7th Sign. Popcorn is popping for The 7th Sign which is the apocalypse movie, we THINK. LOL. Is it time to get the oxalis in the mail?
J. is home from the hospital and her children are here. I’ve forgotten how exhausting having small children around 24-7 is. I think I would get overwhelmed if I had to do it alone, even without depression. They still haven’t got their sleep patterns back in place. So, we are putting in some weird hours. Amargia is not going to be open for the Spring season, except to the core group. We have to pay for J.’s meds out of pocket (ouch!) and we want to help her provide for the children until she can work again. We’ve learned J. is good at painting and cooking. (She actually finds house painting relaxing. Takes all kinds, I guess. LOL.) Both are jobs Jim dislikes, that usually fall to him so he is happy as a clam to have her here LOL. I will enjoy having children around again. Kids are fun when you can pass around the responsibility so everyone gets an occasional break. J. considers it a luxury to spend 30 minutes in the tub uninterrupted. LOL.
You’re still in our prayers and thoughts, Bonnie.
Do you think I could mail the plants yet, Sheri, without damage to the aloe? In other words, is it still getting below 45 in your area?
Good night, Everyone. Kay*

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7630971

Kay - last night's low was 39*, so we are pretty close. There are a couple more weeks of possible night frosts. But Spring is deffinately just peeking around the corner. I have lovely lavender and butter yellow Crocuses popping up and daffodills everywhere. birds are beginning to hunt for the best nest sights and life is returning to the dull winter world.
Being a spring baby myself, I just naturally come to life also!! By "baby" brother was born on Easter Sunday and my birthday is always on or near Mother's day.
Even the Hummers will be here soon!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7636155

Yes, the birds are chirping up here so something spring-like must be going on out there. Up here lots of folks are of Irish descent, so 3/17 is a big party. I abstain, DH gets depressed b/c he misses his Irish parents (who would be way past 100 were they still with us) and DD wears green clothes and a "Kiss me, I'm 25% Irish" button.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 17, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7637508

No one here has any Irish blood to their knowledge, but we offer our favorite Irish blessings.
May you always have walls for the winds. A roof for the rain. Tea beside the fire, and all your heart's desire.
&
“May you be in Heaven half and hour before the Devil knows your dead.”
Hope everyone had a great day! Amargia
'Santa Rosa' plum in bloom.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7637850

Spring has sprung here too. but not the next couple of nights, We may get snow by Saturday,My yellow and cream daffodils, pink hyacinths and purple crocus are blooming away.Most of my Daylillys have green shoots.I managed to rake the leaves away in a small spot and green grass is showing.Iris leaves are coming up. catnip is coming up. Buds on the dogwoods are starting to swell.
Walmarts has green plants in. I had to buy a spring pinks plant that came from Troup TX close to where we used to live. Also got a Lemon Thyme plant that came from Bonnies Farms in Alabama. Stopped by our local nursery and bought some potting soil. They had some pink and white varigated creeping phlox.
I'm on the mend. I had some kind of stomach problem,thats getting better. DD called me yesterday and told me she had made an appointment for me to see a doctor. I was kinda glad. She's also gonna make me swear to be nice to the doctor. I guess doctors are a necessary evil.
Here's a salute to the Mass. Irish. God love em!
Jim, Was that tea or Irish whiskey? LOL
My BIL in E TX is in the hospital and not expected to live so may be going down there for a couple of days. His wife, my SIL is not in good health either.
Talk more later,
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7646101

I like my Irish husband but that's it. it was very warm for a few days but now it's kinda brisk again.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7646991

Carrie,warm weather is on the way, even if i now have snow on the ground.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7647408

I know, I know, I just can't wait!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 23, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7651370

Finally, got the medical insurance problems straightened out for J. and her children. We all went to the doctor today. One of the children had a virus and everyone caught it. Kay can’t talk. She still has her tonsils so it has hit her especially hard. The kids are beginning to settle into a routine and things are getting easier. 4-year-old V. loves flowers. He picks his Mom a bouquet almost every day. Luckily, we have plenty. LOL. He likes to dig so Kay already has him digging and transplanting Belles of Ireland. (They have a habit of coming up wherever the fancy strikes them.)
We borrowed your idea about using the dog pen for alternative purposes, Cando. Since the dogs have perimeter collars, we are setting up the old dog pen as a play space for the little one. I now understand how the term “terrible twos” came to be. He is a handful! By providing him with a safe, secure play space, we all get a chance to rest a little from trying to keep up with him. Vines covering the 12-foot hog wire fence should not only make it look better but discourage D. from trying to climb it. I don’t think he could make it over, but that doesn’t mean he won’t try. LOL.
I think we are skipping Spring and going straight into Summer. It is predicted to be in the 80’s next week.
The ladies tell me I have to get off this computer. It is the one V. uses to play Curious George and other PBS online games. It is amazing how quickly they pick up on operating the computer when it has been a part of their daily lives. (Jim)
v
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7651540

Hello friends. It has been a few days since I last checked in and wanted to report that today was the first day that I have not needed a rest and nap during the afternoon. I am slowly regaining my strength and stamina. I sure do apprecate you all keeping me in your t & p's. I am convinced that prayer is the only thing that pulled me through this ordeal.

Last weeks' weather was gorgeous, but we had rain over the week end, and the temps cooled off considerably. Although the sun is out and shining, there is a cool wind, which has prevented me from getting outside just to look things over.

I had taken a walk through all the garden beds about 10 days ago, and noticed that the weeds were coming up faster than the flowers. I was able to get out an put some Preen on the beds on Sunday, just before the rains came. Then after supper tonight,looked out the window and my DH was out in 2 beds with a hoe taking down some weeds, before they over took the garden. Bless his heart, I am so appreciative that he did that for me. Now maybe with the combination of the pre emergent, and DH's help, the weeds won't have a very big headstart. Surely by next week, I will be able to get out and about and do some very minor things. May not benefit the gardens as much as me, as I am really chomping at the bit to get out and get to work.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7651854

I'm so glad to see you back.Keep building that strength up.DH,s can be super sweet, usully when you least suspect it which makes it all the more special.
I went to the doctor today. Accidently Posted it on the Joy thread instead of this one. So i'll just say Blood pressure and blood sugar was way too high.That was what had been making me sick. Have new BP meds. Am on a sugar free jello,boiled egg and lettuce diet for a few days. Maybe skim milk added in a few days. Been told to moneter my bp and sugar.Gotta pretend i'm my own nurse. Will see doc in a couple of weeks if all goes well. The catarack surgery is also cancelled again. Am looking forward to feeling like a human again. Tomorrow i'll play in my big planters while i sit. Sunshine cures eveything.
I still don't know what 80* is. We'll hit the low 70,s tomorrow. My real pear is breaking out in buds. I sure hope they don't get froze back. They have the last 3 years.
Our weatherman said the third weekend in April is the time to plant everything.
Glad you found a comparativly safe place for the 2 yr old. Someday you may even look back and laugh and think this was a delightful time.(beleive it or not)
We went camping with our Gkids at about that age and i hid Easter eggs for them everyday for a week. I had more fun than they did.

edited to say... I forgot to say Eva Mae was in the hospital a few days last week. She semi passed out and could'nt talk but could hear. Shes doing ok and is back doing everything at home.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2010 11:47 PM

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7652219

Temps here ar egetting very nice. 40's at night and 60's -70 in day. Ahhh Spring!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7652561

Thoughts and prayers for all of our ill and injured!

We are living the high life in a Comfort Inn (cough cough). They are tiling our bathroom with real tile, not leftover scrap/crap linoleum and doing the kitchen with "premium" linoleum, not the cheapest but the best (we figured that's the only thing that could stand up to the abuse of the 500lb electric w/c). And then as long as we're unable to use the toilet or come in or out, we had to leave the house.

You know how when you get a manicure they say "ok, it's dry" and then it smudges by the time you've left the salon? We figured this is like a VERY EXPENSIVE manicure, so we're giving it an extra day for all the adhesive, grout, sealer, etc. to cure before we go home. Purgatory!

Anyway, I brought my computer, so I'm fine, it's just not home.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7654236

Carrie, I'm oh so proud for you.Will you still associate with us? Can you do wheelies on your new floors?
Now just keep your motel curtains closed and pretend you are in the Bahamas.

Sheri, i'm jealous. We just barely reached 62...A very cloudy, damp, windy 62.All my spring flowers are blooming tho. I should be happy. When it is sunny. I have to go into town. I tried hard to follow doctors orders. I did take meds. but i failed to stay still and dug two iris up and fudged on my diet. Havent found my BP moniter or blood sugar moniter. Will look again tomorrow. BTW i just sit here and type online. Looking for moniters i have to reach,stoop, lift and get frustrated so much better off online for now. I'm depressed today which makes it hard to want to help my self.It'll get better.
They have'nt figured out whats wrong with Eva Mae.Shes completely back to normal.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7655698

Ugh, it's nothing like the Bahamas - the pool is closed and there's no beach. (Actually there is but I'm not swimming in it until it's been warming for about 3 years = never.)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7656783

Carrie, What is the river that runs into the bay at Boston? I have a great story to tell on my DH there.
He was 19 and did'nt hav a brain in his head. He and 2 other young army geniouses went fishing in a rowboat at the mouth of this river. The tide started coming in and they got in trouble. The waves started coming over into the boat, They were frantically dipping the water out with 2 cups. The boat almost capsized. But they finally made it to a landing. They were the luckiest people in the world and the dumbest.DH did grow a good brain later. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7657713

The Charles River into Boston Harbor? There are a lot of locks and stuff, though. There are other rivers - every river around here flows into the ocean. Coulda been a lot of different rivers. The Charles was so polluted, it didn't have fish 15-20 years ago, I think. They could have been way upstream on the Charles, there are landings and beaches but I think the tide still rises and lowers up there.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7659233

Carrie, This would have been in 1958. L-o-n-g time ago.Then we were there again in 63-65.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7660789

I bet it wasn't Boston Harbor proper, there is no beach there. But as I say, all the rivers empty into the ocean and go up and down with the tide, exactly the way you describe. I bet it was the Neponsett River, which empties into Boston Harbor. (It's near me, just south of Boston, that's how I know. There's probably something equivalent on the north side; I just don't know what it's called.)

Did you live here from 63-65? I was here then too ... of course I was just learning to talk and so forth, but still, I was here.

I was learning how babies are made - my sister was born in 1963 and my brother in 1965 and EVERY time, we read the SAME dumb books about the human egg which is as big as the period on the end of this sentence. The sperm is much smaller but there are zillions of them, and one lucky sperm, blah blah blah. Not a word about love or romance or attraction or even hormones or lust! Just mitosis and meiosis. I knew what was happening, technically, but not why. My parents were very modern for their day but still.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7661065

Yes i was there then. My youngest DD was born in Shirley,Just out of Devens in 64.So i had first hand experience about eggs and sperm. Now i can picture you as a sweet lil baby.
It was sometime during that period that the Boston Strangler was on the loose. I remember working in a hospital in ?????? up there and we were all afraid working at night because he was going after nurses.
I wish i could remember the name of the river and the town i worked at,
We did most of our shopping at Nashua NH. I don't remember why. It was a good size town and close by. That may be the only reason.
Hope everyone is doing ok.(((HUGS)))
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7662008

Ugh, happily I do NOT remember the Boston Strangler, although of course I've heard of him and probably read a book or two.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7662456

Learning to talk in '63 - '65...talk about me feeling old. I was hoping to be a nurse then, Vickie. I sure do remember the fear of that Boston Strangler...ugh, Bad Guys..

All, be Blessed!!

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7662650

Let's say by then I was learning to read, b/c I remember this book so well and I remember kindergarten and my baby brother coming home from the hospital. But I never thought about actual bad guys except wicked witches and dragons and evil kings. Nice to hear from you, Sheri!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7663465

Yes indeedy, I was reading those witches,dragon and evil kings to my 4 yr old DD. Her favorite was Rapundsel with her long hair hanging out the tower window,
Sheri, You are not as old as me are you.I was thinking you were about my DDs age. I'll have to treat you with more respect.LOL
Yawl reckon Jim and Kay are ok? They could be run ragged by the little one.
Vickie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7664449

I will be 59 in a few weeks. Feels pretty old to me. the last 10 years have really aged me.
But I am blessed and thankful to be alive and provided for.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7664541

You are the age of my DH, Sheri! You're lucky you're not sleeping with me every night - I would drive you bonkers!
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7665406

Hi Carrie and everyone. I'm a friend of Carrie's migrating here from the NorthEast forum.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7665630

Welcome David! Folks, please give nice gentle hugs to my pal David. He was going to leave DG all together but I told him I hardly ever post in the North East Forum any more; I'm too busy down here with you good people. Now we might have to talk about gardening occasionally, though... David is one person I have actually met in person, so I don't want to lose track of him!

It's cold and rainy with more flooding up here today -- I hope we have a better tomato season than we had last summer! Last summer was cold and rainy from April til October, then in November it turned to winter. In fact I WAS going to write an article called "The Summer That Wasn't" but I dilly-dallied until it became irrelevant. Maybe I should get started on this summer's version, though.

What does everyone think about 'global climate change'? Up here it is definitely not "warming" - I think it's been colder and rainier than usual for a few years now. That makes sense if you think about global warming => overall melting => more moisture in the air => more precipitation. It's warmer somewhere from 31.9 degrees to 32.9 degrees F so stuff that used to be frozen is melting and thawing, as if your freezer is on the fritz. And the milk and lettuce are freezing, meanwhile, because the thermostat is broken! (We in New England are the milk and lettuce!) There was ice on a puddle yesterday morning! I've been wanting to put the houseplants out for their summer vacation but not if it's still THAT cold.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7665690

well...it's supposed to be in the low 80's here th - sat, this week.
YIPPEE!! Spring!!
I love NC!!
^_^
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7668688

Dave a very big welcome. Now that the niceties are out of the way. Are you gonna help keep Carrie behaved or are you gonna misbehave too? LOL LOL!
Carrie, You could still write about the summer of 09. It is worth writing about and we really don't want a repeat.Nor the winter either.
What climatologists don't tell you is that climate changes slowly with hot years and cold years but a gradual shift to cold or hot. Truthfully i don't think they have a clue which way its going cause the climate people disagree with each other.LOL
I have'nt even considered taking my potplants out yet.
My spring flowers are in full bloom and my forsythia is glowing yellow. I'm digging up iris and planting them in large containers like my daylillys. I know it's the wrong time of year but i've got to get them out before the poison ivy puts on leaves.
I think i'm being protected. I have'nt broke out with PI. Please Lord.
I can only do a couple a day before i'm wiped out.
I have decided to try and get an electric wheelchair for outside. I can see my strength is getting less. It would be torture to have to stay inside all the time. I'm ok as long as i don't walk and bend and stoop and lift.Most of my stuff is now in containers i can reach sitting down, My GS is going to help me this weekend. Maybe i can finish up. I need a prayer guys. I hope thats not trivial. It means so much to me.
Saying that, i'm planning to drive down to Mississippi to see scraps next week. There's no work involved in driving. And i can take my time. It's the same distance as it is to my Texas DD. Both DD,s Think it'll be good for me. Traveling relaxes me and maybe this is what i need to bring my BP down. Anyway i know how to prepare.
Yor collective ears will be burning.HA HA.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7669810

Be careful, Vickie, you need to get a very heavy-duty w/C to be any good outside. Here it is so wet and rainy in the spring that I can't use it outside. Before I had a wheelchair I had a scooter that was more like a tiny tractor - it was very tough and strong!!! If you're not going to be in it 24/7 you can probably tolerate a scooter (like the ones they have at the stores only better and stronger). The new ones dismantle to fit in your car, too!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7670396

Vickie - you are in my prayers! I want to hear all about your visit with Scraps too. I just can't help being a bit envious, though, as I would so dearly love to visit her myself. Alas, none of you are close enough for me to even hope to meet in person though.
Cyber hugs it'll have to be then!

Sheri
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7673418

Awe Birdie, That is so sweet! I would love to meet you too.I wish you could come too. I am so excited to get to meet Vickie soon. I just can't wait to see her in person. I hope I can help with the blood pressure by keeping her entertained with my good humor and spectacular personality.LOL. Then there is my hubs who is going to compare notes on hunting and fishing between Mississippi and Arkansas I am sure. So we will keep her entertained. We will keep you guys posted. I am not sure what inspired her to come down off her mountain in the springtime just to see me but it truly makes me feel honored. We might just decide to make a trip together and just visit all of you guys.
Goodnight and Happy Easter just in case I do not get back. Scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7675910

Carrie, i'm seriously considering one. I manage to do well as long as i'm sitting in my chair, but walking much or stooping and bending wipes me out.than i'm done for the day.I did'nt know they had ones that dismantle. Thats what i'd want. I've been trying to call the 800 # but they must be doing good business. I've been on hold for 30 min, and hang up. Will keep at it tho. It can't hurt to look into it.
i'm so looking forward to meeting scraps. I wish all of us could get together sometime.
scraps sounds so much like good friends i've lost and she's nearby. They both are so much like people i grew up with, I just could'nt resist.
I'm gonna be tempting Jim and Kay with Arkansas festivals to get them this ways and work on everyone else too.
Birdie, You never know what the future holds for any of us. God may want us to meet for His reason and arrange it.
I think Carrie has the where withall to fly anywhere. SO WHO KNOWS?
Where are you Dave? Hope we did'nt scare you off. We're mostly harmless and good natured. Are you in the mountains? Mass has some awesome mountains. Makes my 2000 footer look like a big hill.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7677341

Anywhere that JetBlue flies, that is, if DH will take me etc. etc. but it sounds like most of you aren't close to airports.

Vickie, the most important question, or at least AN important question, is who will be paying for it? If you can get a PT or MD involved, maybe Medicare would pay for part of it. Also a PT or OT can help with questions like "which models dismantle" and "how heavy are the individual pieces" and "how big/small are the pieces". Just make sure you know which company they're working for first - they should be working for you!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #7680496

The mobile chair company said they'd work with my doctor so medicare would pay for most of it. This was a tv ad. "This is a lets see what developes situation."I've no intention of going into debt."
My GS came up and put an AC in the storeage house for me so DD and hubby can stay cool.I've got to clean it and take a hotplate and coffee maker out tomorrow. Am almost packed and ready for my Mississippi trip to see scraps.
My mind is a total blank tonight. What is the name of our friend from Mexico. There was an Earthquake near her. We might need to remember her and her neighbor in our prayers.I wish my memory would'nt go blank on me sometimes.She was farther south of the earhquake so maybe she did'nt have any damage. I surely hope she did'nt.
I've got lots to do tomorrow so will get some sleep...hopefully
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7681988

katiebear. I totally forgot. My mind brought that up as soon as you said it but until you said it I had no clue that she existed. I hope she's okay.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7684296

I think Katie is on the Eastern side an the earthquakes more on the western. Not sure, but joining in prayer for her well being.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7687219

Hello again, Everyone. Remember me? LOL. As IO1 always put it, sorry to have been MIA so long. Good to meet you, Dave. I’m Kay. Welcome to the thread.
My computer was hijacked by a four-year-old computer geek who thinks he can’t survive long without his online games. Jim got an old computer system we had around working well enough to handle Curious George and other PBS online kid’s games. (I was really beginning to resent that monkey!) I finally got my system back. I’ve moved my computer to my bedroom and cleaned all the Gummy Bear goo off the keyboard. The house is a mess. I have no doubt there is Gummy Bear goo, jellybean sticky and chocolate bunny remains elsewhere I should be cleaning up, but I’ve decided to celebrate getting my computer back by spending a little time on DG.
We are expecting a record afternoon high of 89 or 90 today. I’ve skipped over more Spring planting and gone to Summer stuff. Tomatoes and squash are growing well. We may return to temps more typical for April soon, but I don’t think the swing will be so extreme the summer plants will suffer. .
With your breathing problems, Vickie, you might want to pack a safety mask for your trip south. The pollen count is extremely high. I’ve never seen it this extreme. It is now a common sight to see people wearing painter’s mask while out walking their dogs and the like. Hope it isn’t quite so bad in N. Mississippi. Sounds like a fun trip! My pet tomato, Romeo, is doing well in the topsy-turvy planter. How is his namesake? LOL.
We are moving raised planters around in the w/c garden to better utilize the space. We want to get more table type planters in. (They seem to be most people’s favorite type of raised planter. I also want to incorporate a fire pit into the shady west corner. You haven’t missed much. Mostly, we’ve been working on the boring, but necessary task of leveling ground and pouring concrete. We are still managing to move forward. Just moving at a slower pace with children here. Of course, the children’s garden areas have been bumped up in priority. Still running with Scraps original idea for one of the children’s areas. An outdoor “house” furnished with cast off appliances and household fixtures. Every “room"”sprouting fun and colorful plants. Shrubs and tall perennials make the “walls.”
Bridal Wreath Spireas, Dogwoods and the ‘Pride of Mobile’ Azaleas are the showiest thing in the garden at the moment, but it was the blooming rosemary that caught Jim’s eye when he was out in the garden with his camera. Hope everyone is having a blessed day. Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7691126

Thats what those blue flowers are. I got home just before dark and saw these blue flowers and could'nt place the plant. IT IS MY ROSEMARY. Thank You!!! I was amazed it made it thru the winter.
Your childrens house garden sounds like a childs dream. What do your little ones think of it? or is it to soon for it to have majic flowers?
I'm glad Romeo is doing good. My Romeo is doing exceptional. He has been settled with a good steady girl for a month now(probably a record) And has a new better paying job at Atwoods.This girl will really be good for Josh if he stays with her. It's his mom and dad that are coming down.
I remember going thru Alabama and Georgia and seeing those breathtaking azalias in bloom.Do you and Georgia have a thing about the color of your Azalias? cause i seem to remember one state had mostly white and the other mostly pink.
Vickie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7691568

Hi all, My "new" DELL puter had a CD/DCD drive problem, so I sent it back and said "forget it, do not ever send me another DELL product. We're talking a new Studio XPS with upgrades that make it an $1800 machine! Now they chould at least have excellent quality control for these. I am sick of DELL and do not recommend them to anyone! I'm glad that I paid the xtra for a 4 year extended warranty as I now have a much more sohiticated machine than the one I 1st got in "06, but I have had like 4 replacements due to deffective machines. Sheesh!!
OK...stepping off of my soapbox gripe podium now ^_^

My woodland shad garden is just popping up something wonderful with May Apple, Trillium, Sweet Woodruff, "Boo Lily" (which is really some type of small Iris, I think), Lily of the valley, Bleeding heart, Dwarf crested Iris, Maidenhair fern, and others that I cannot remember the names of. It is so exciting to see the little heads pop up. of course i also wish I had been able to give a good mulch cover as weeds and grass are also creeping in...but the birds all love it. I also have Viburnums and Sweet Shrub beginning to bloom.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7701182

Sheri, sorry you are having such a hassle with your computer system. If I didn’t have Jim to deal with all that frustration and a computer based business, I would have taken Vickie’s route long ago. (Can’t remember what they call that set-up but my seriously computer-phobic sister has it too.) I’ve heard Dell had a quality control problem for a while. Jim had to send one back also. The garden sounds gorgeous. I am having a little zone envy. I am still looking for that elusive lily-of-the-valley that can allegedly cope with our heat.
Bonnie, we are still thinking about you. Just because you don’t feel up to gardening does not mean you can’t check in and tell us how you are faring.
Vickie, I would think it was Alabama that had more of the pink azaleas. ‘Pride of Mobile’ is pink and has long been a popular cultivar in south Alabama. It is one of the few azaleas that does not melt in a sunny location and can bloom so prolifically you can’t even see the foliage for the flowers. The older white cultivars have a tendency to “bury” their flowers in foliage. I’ve heard Georgians say that makes them look “more elegant” These are the same Georgians who say that driving through south Alabama in spring is “like fallin’ into a bottle of Pepto-Bismol.” LOL. There might be just a teeny-tiny bit of competition between the two states as to who has the better azalea/dogwood trails. LOL.
It was a horrible day so I didn’t get your plants in the mail. Will do so in the morning. J.’s soon-to-be-ex was able to get temporary court ordered custody because of J.’s suicide attempt. V. went with the police crying and repeating over and over “I don’t want to go. Don’t make me go.” Have you ever tried to explain that you have no choice about complying with a court order to a 4-year-old? It was heart-breaking. Even the two police officers who did the deed were having a hard time with it. J., needless to say, is an emotional mess today. Jim isn’t much better. He became very attached to the children very quickly. The best Amargia can do for her is see that she gets quality legal representation.
People tend to see the worst in J. To use her as a scapegoat. J. has embraced the role and will just go belly up when attacked. Isn't going to happen this time, if I can help it. I intend to see that whatever decision is made is made based on the actual facts. There are no good guys and bad guys in this situation. There rarely are. Just messed up people who try to do the right things and messed up people who have just given up trying. Neither Mom nor Dad is capable of caring for the children alone. But, “It takes a village to raise a child.” J. has a village. Ex- does not. And, there is the simple fact that both boys want to stay with their mother. J. may be a danger to herself, but not to the children. The boys set the house on fire while ex- slept the last time they were solely in his care. They are hyperactive. They are always getting into things they are not supposed to. They are the sweetest little guys you can imagine. Please keep them in your prayers. God knows who they are. Kay*

scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7703364

Kay, I just popped in here to see what all was going on and Wanted you to know that all of you are in my Prayers. I hope things work out for the best especially for the kids. How tramatic it would be to get taken away from one's mom. You are right God knows who we are praying for. Scraps
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7703770

Kay, I have been reading and keeping up. I am much much better, but came down with bronchitis,and have taken one round of antibiotics, and am on my second one. The pollen is bad here this spring, and I am think that part of this crud is allergies. I still don't have much strength, but am able now to work about 3 hours a day, then have to call it a day. Now mind you this is not HARD work, but doing a bit of weeding, sowing some seeds, getting my planters on the deck ready to put flowers in, etc. I am doing the cooking and laundry, but not much housework. My DGD came on her spring break (she is 14) and stayed with me a week, and she really was a help with things in the house I have not been able to do. DH has turned into a WH (wonderful) and helps me tremendously. I knew he had it in him, he just hadn't had an opportunity to really show me what he can do around the house. I thank the Lord everyday for being alive first, and then him providing me with the help that I need to keep the house functioning. We still need to work on him paying bills and sorting through the mail. When I came home from the hospital after being gone 8 days, the stack of mail resembled a small mountain. He says he is allergic to paying bills!

I was so touched by your telling about the children being taken away from their mother. I don't know who you are talking about, and it doesn't make any difference, I certainly will be praying that this family is restored.

When I was researching computers, 2 years ago, I considered buying a Dell, but then a friend told me the problems she had had and I immediately scratched them off the list of possibilities. I have always had good luck with Gateway. I bought my granddaughter an Acer, after researching the company and found out they own Gateway. It is a cheaper made computer than Gateway, but still a good machine.

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. I don't post much, but I still am around to read and keep up with what you all are doing.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 13, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7704044

I could respect a man willing to go to such lengths to protect his children if he honestly believed they were in danger. But, this man KNEW the children were fine. Happy and thriving. He just did it to hurt J. and to recover what he seems to see as his possessions. I would like to make the judge who signed that court order live in the circumstances the children will be living in. X. has had so many DUI’s he can’t get a driver’s license. He has a history of violent outburst. I’m offended by the sheer stupidity of it. Someone did not check the facts! I had to listen to those boys crying and watch the way they clung to their mother. I’m not making the slightest effort to rein Kay in this time and I don’t have the slightest hesitation about writing out the checks to the lawyer.
Everything seemed too noisy when the boys were around. Now, the house seems too quiet. LOL. Unfortunately, X is not demanding custody of Stella-dog. She and Kay were debating the landscape design today and Stella won the debate. K. wanted to put in a tree holly and move a nearby hydrangea. Stella did not like the idea and would pull up the holly every time Kay turned her back for a moment. Kay decided to put menthol rub on the plant as soon as it was in the ground thinking the strong smell and taste would deter Stella. But, as soon as Stella was let out of the pen, she went and pulled the Holly up. Kay gave up after that and put the holly elsewhere. Evidently, Stella approves of the new location. She hasn’t bothered it. LOL. We concluded she does not dislike holly. She just likes the hydrangea where it is.
11 months of the year, my feelings toward Spirea range from indifference because it is such a bland looking shrub to slight dislike when it needs pruning to keep its fountain shape. But, in April……
Photo: Spiraea prunifolia ‘Bridal Wreath’

Thumbnail by seacanepain

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 15, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7709128

Hell hath no fury like nice Christian ladies in pursuit of justice. Lol. The children will have their very own attorney so there is someone working the system that has their well-being as a top priority. Paying her is all Amargia will be responsible for. J.’s legal representation will be handled by a women’s protection group. The ladies hit the ground running and armed for battle with documented facts right down to dates and file numbers. X may lose his job before this is over. The snow job he’s been doing on those in the system is melting fast in the heat these ladies are generating. Kay did warn him to do right or there would be consequences. (Well, she may have phrased it in more colorful, less polite terms, but that was the gist of what she said. Lol) I guess he thought it was bluster and we couldn’t or wouldn’t back it up. I think he sees Amargia as just a bunch of blind people, old folks and gimps. This is going to be a hard lesson for him. Wish it hadn’t come to this. I know the ladies do. Very few soldiers actually like the work they do. It just has to be done. The ladies are like soldiers that wear stockings and high heels. They should wear combat boots. I would think they would be a lot more comfortable. Lol.
Kay is trying another VI seed planting experiment. She is placing seeds on top of the soil in pots of potting soil and sprinkling different things over the seeds. Things like clean sand. Chicken grit and the small gravel you buy for use in aquariums. The idea is to find a good medium for covering the seeds that will not float or be washed away by our heavy rains or heavy handed watering. It would be good to have plants actually come up where we planted them. Not where the water moved them to.
Glad to see you back and to hear that you are doing better, Bonnie.. Your DGD sounds like a gem. I have a hard time getting mine that age to leave off computer gaming and text messaging long enough to do much. Don't know who she could have gotten the tech addiction from. Lol. (Jim)
Photo: 'Pride of Mobile' Azalea

Thumbnail by seacanepain

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7709216

Thats like the azalias i saw on my trip. Seems like everyone had a bush or more blooming.Those are beautiful.

I had the spirea and decided for some silly reason i did'nt like them. So dug them up and gave them away and gave them away,and gave them away. Two years ago they were truely gone. This year i have a little 18 inch branch up and blooming. It stays there. Anything that fights that hard to live deserves a place in this world.

Praise the Lord for nice Christian Ladys in pursuit of justice. Heres a prayer and good wishes for those Onward Christian Solders.Prayers for J and those babies too.Prayers for you too Jim.It's hard for you too.
Just remember the General of this army is all powerful.
Bonnie, Your work sounded like a full days worth to me. Weeding is hard work.Glad you had some help.
I have an MSN2. It uses a tv for a screen(moniter) and the modem is something off in California.I don't have to worry about viruses.I don't have the power or memory but it does what little i want to do.
Vickie
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7711792

Hey you guys, That azalea is georgeous. I would love to have some someday and they are on my personal wish list with a hundred more.

Jim, I would not want to be in X's shoes. I know what the guy is up against. I was in a group like that at my church once against an abusive man. He is in big trouble. I know what happens when a group of Prayer warriors go to battle muchless one as tough as you describe your Kay. God Bless her, J and the kids. It is amazing what can happen when you turn it over to the Lord. If you had not said "Christian Ladies" I would not be as confident but when you mix in the Prayer then the old devil does not stand a chance.

Vickie, It is so good to have you back. How is the BP today? Are you feeling better?

Goodnight everyone,Love and Prayers, scraps

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7713205

I haven't read too carefully - I don't have my contacts in - but I vote for the bridal wreath.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7713358

Bless you Carrie, Bridal wreath is tough as weeds.They are pretty as long as they bend and weep to the ground.I think that as they get older they just sort of stand there and do nothing. Jims was pretty tho.Maybe we Arkies don't know how to grow them. I never pruned it once tho. Promise!
J and Kids are still in my thoughts and prayers. I'll leave X up to Kay and friends,He's out of my mind.
I was thinking of you when i went outside Carrie, It was cold this morning and i've stayed inside.
My BP is moderately stable 150/74 today. Chest pains have
almost quit also. Since i'm doing absolutely nothing. Things should be good.
If DD could make a weed grow, I think she'd have stolen my Fairy Bells.

Vickie
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7714737

How rude of me! I introduced myself and disappeared. Sorry.
Thanks for the welcome. I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread. I wish all the best for the struggles people mentioned. Nothing worse than problems for the kids and health problems.

Cando, no chance getting Carrie to behave! Hope to cause a little mayhem myself.
David

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7715753

Oh, goodie, David's back! Hi, David.

Vickie you should prune Bridal Veil , right after it blooms! Otherwise it will get gangly and only bloom at the tippy-top.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7716264

Back twice in a day! looks like no one is home.
My take on global warming is that, while some experts disagree, 95% think it's a big man-made problem. I'm afraid we are wasting precious time arguing.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7716282

I agree, but you and I seem to agree on most things like that,, don't we. I wanted to write an article about global climate change three years ago and was told it was too controversial.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7716857

I've been following the global warming argument in the editorial of Analog-Science Fiction & Fact magazine. There was an article a few months back blasting the data gathering at weather stations. But, this month people were coming back with how the data coming out of weather stations may indeed be compromised, but that is hardly the only scientific indicators of global warming. They mentioned the satellite photos showing melting of the ice caps, the northward movements of plant and animal species, etc. I think even I have noted the latter and I am functionally blind. Skunks were common here when I was young. Now, they are rare. It seems like the number of armadillos is on the increase. Like they are moving up from Florida to fill in the nitch the skunks vacated. I can't honestly say I miss the skunks. But, the armidillos moving up are more destructive than the skunks were. Kay*-
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7716935

Apparently goverments beleive in global warming. The northern Canadian ice fields are predicted to melt and open up a northwest passage thru the continent. Russia,US,Canada and other countrys are fighting for rights to travel thru this supposed passage.
I still beleive the weather is to iffy to predict either a warming or a cooling trend.
Armadillas are moving north in Okla too.I have problems beleiving all these weathermen were sending in false info. people talk too much for a large group to hide anything.
Carrie, Can't beleive your article was turned down. This is a more fun contraversy than a political one.Please don't tell me all conservatives beleive one way and liberals another about global warming.LOL
Dave, I'm afraid i have no faith the human population will gather together to do the right thing about global warming. Our track record is not that good. Please, someone prove me wrong!!!
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7718048

Well, Vickie, give us a couple hundred years and we might figure something out.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7721399

If we wait for a consensus among scientist, it will probably be too late. (Coming to a consensus in a timely manner isn’t the nature of that beast. LOL.) Okay, so things can’t be pinned down with absolute accuracy. We ARE talking about an incredibly complex system that is constantly in flux anyway. In my none-to-humble opinion, we should be attacking the problem from two fronts. That means we should be approaching the problem holistically at one end of the spectrum and treating obvious symptoms, at the other end of the spectrum.
I think about environmental issues the same way I think about my own health issues. My different doctors don’t agree on what is causing me to slowly lose vision and hearing. They’ve been debating it for years now. That doesn’t mean I have to sit around and wait to go totally blind and deaf. I use the above approach. The doctors told my family I would be blind by the time I was 21. Deaf, by the time I was in my 30’s. While I don’t reveal my age to anyone, suffices to say my 20’s and 30’s are only vague memories and my hearing problems are still only moderate. Almost entirely corrected with hearing aids. And I still have a small amount of vision in one eye. As anyone who is visually impaired will tell you, every scrap of residual vision makes a huge difference.
I know this approach to problems will work. You don’t need to have precise measurements and exact figures to use it. (Although, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I do Love my detailed facts and figures. LOL.) I do know they aren’t always necessary to problem solving, however. We shouldn’t get too hung up on them or we will delay too long. I’ve listened to the, “Climate change is all part of a natural cycle and humans don’t have anything to do with it.” school of thought. But, the hypothesis just doesn’t hold water.
Vickie, maybe we should hunt down that classic Texas recipe for armadillo chili? LOL. Have you read anything about the old tale that armadillos can carry leprosy? Do you think it has any basis in truth? J. freaks every time she sees one.
Carrie, do you still want those Fairy Bells? I’m digging some out of a bed where pink just doesn’t work. I hate to toss pretty and perfectly healthy plants into the compost pile if I can find them a new home. Dave, some chaos and mayhem is healthy. I don’t think Creativity and Creative Problem Solving can live where things are too neat, orderly and predictable. Sow all the mayhem, you want. Everyone here knows how to weed, if they don’t like what comes up. LOL. Kay*

scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7722597

Hey guys I just popped in to see what was going on and I have an opinion on global warming and it is that the Good Lord does what he wants. I will say it the only way I know how. He said it would not be pretty in the end. Period.

Either I am too dumb to be worried or I just Trust my Lord. I know there will be changes but he said there would be. I just hope I am gone when the worst happens. But I am not a very smart person politically or scientifically so I just kind of ride the storm out, whatever will be, will be. I am not trying to be a smart alec that is just how I feel. I am trying to do things for a cleaner better environment and all but I do not let it worry me.
However, for those of us who live on opposite sides of the USA there may be a boat ride or plane involved when we ever get around to visiting or meeting each other.LOL So we might need to hurry up and get that done. Have a good night everyone. Love ya'll. scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7722995

Everyone, i vote we all get together and nominate Kay for President.Also get everyone else in the senate. Except me.I have no common sense.Would'nt take the job anyway.I'd get thrown in Federal prison for kicking one or more of those already there senators.LOL
You're right scraps. God will take care of the problem himself.But gee, I just want to get a little of my 2 cents worth in myself.
Think i'll drive scraps. But wait why don't everyone meet up here at my house. You can't fly but theres one place a mile from here a helocoter can land.Just give me some time to prepare.
Jim i picked up some ARK liturature to send you.
Anyone else want any?
Night all
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 21, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7726113

I would like to say I don’t even consider that as a possibility, Scraps, because it would mean an end to chances for many people I care about who don’t know God. However, I have to admit your theory could be valid or I couldn’t call myself Christian. I certainly don’t think considering that as a real possibility reflects poorly on your intelligence. There was a review of a book called something like, “What I believe, But Can Not Prove in the magazine Kay mentioned in her last post. The book is a collection of essays by people the compilers considered the best minds around. Many of those minds belonged to scientist. The book makes you realize how much of science is based on a shared belief system and that scientist are far from the totally analytical beings they are portrayed as. I have an extremely well educated, highly intelligent uncle-in-law who believes the world as we know it will end in 2012. Is he a well-educated fool? Ask me in 2013, if we’re still around. Lol.
Most of us still talk about climate change like it is an abstract concept. The way we talk about philosophy or something. It has become more real to me since living in Zone 8b. 8b-9a are like transition zones from temperate to tropical. I think changes become obvious in transition zones and at the extremes sooner. (As Vickie pointed out, the changes are very in-your-face in the arctic. (It would be interesting to hear from someone in the arctic to temperate transition areas.).
Since I’ve moved down here, I’ve seen real rage directed toward Atlanta from points downstream on the Chattahoochee River because of the water use rights and how badly the river is polluted in its passage by the city. I’m afraid if we don’t handle climate change right it will not be humans vs. nature. But, in the end, humans vs. humans. You only have to look at the “water wars” that have taken place out west to see how bloody battles over basic resources can be. People in Atlanta say “We have a right to have pretty landscapes around our houses. Our property values will drop if we don’t handle our landscapes in the NORMAL ways.” Meanwhile, people downstream, say Lake Eufaula or one of the lakes along the Chattahoochee, are saying, “Whoa! You are causing OUR property values to drop by keeping up those water-guzzling landscapes and other irresponsible water use. The water you are taking out of the Chattahoochee means the water levels in our lake is dropping. We bought lake front property and the lake is receding. Then, there are the farmers downstream who are losing their irrigation sources. You can find that anger all the way down to the Gulf, where the oyster beds are allegedly being affected and there are those whose livelihoods are hooked up with those oyster beds. Scientist may still be arguing about hotter or colder. But, as far as I know, they all agree our future will be drier. This isn’t just going to be an issue in water poor states. Neither Alabama nor Florida nor S. Georgia can be considered water poor. It is ALREADY an issue here!
I think I understand what Kay is saying. (I’ve known her for 40 years. I’ve become reasonably fluent in Kay-Speak. Lol.) I guess getting people to see the practical beauty in a well xera-scaped yard and getting realtors and bankers to understand what a well xera-scaped yard is (lol) would be what she calls approaching the problem “holistically.” Helping people who are in financial trouble because their livelihoods are dependent on a healthy Chattahoochee/Apalachicola River system would be an example of the “other end of the spectrum”. Unlike Kay, I’m still open to the “Climate change is a natural fluctuation that has little to do with human activities” theory.
F.Y.I. I had to educate myself to restore peace to the kingdom so I thought I would share. Only about 5% of armadillos carry leprosy and leprosy is not that contagious. If you don’t have a pet armadillo that you hug and snuggle, armadillos present very little health risk. With all due respect to Texans, though, I think I will pass on the armadillo chili. Lol. (Jim).

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7727581

Okay, Vickie, I’ll accept the nomination, but you have to be in charge of National Health Care. Carrie will be in charge of the treasury. Jim will handle national security. Steph will have to be vice-president because she is so down-to-earth and likable. (I can earn people’s respect, but I’m not the most likable person in the world.) I will need Steph to keep up the public opinion poll ratings. Sheri will, of course, head up the Wildlife Protection agency. We will have to put Bonnie in charge of the Department of Labor. (Anyone who can inspire a teenager to do real work is GOOD! Leaf can head up some independent overview committee to keep us all honest and walking the straight and narrow. We will have to ask Katiebear to be our Foreign Affairs expert and head the Diplomatic Corp. I will leave David's new political appointment to you, Carrie. You’ve known him longer. Who have I missed?
I think we should make it a law that no one can run for office unless they tend a garden. That would eliminate the true egomaniacs. Having Mother Nature smack you down from time to time keeps one humble. Maybe, it should be they have to have been gardening for, at least, a decade? Or, is that too much? :-) Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7729036

Kay, that was perfect, Knew we voted you in for a purpose. My first act will be to require all doctors,nurses and hospital personal to a 2 year study plan with herbalists and native American medicine people. To put a little common sense back into the medical industry. Medical expenses will be regulated by medicare,or leaf.
Steph will be a good vice president.You'll have to keep an eye on her for going fishing too much tho.Of course she could take a computer with her. I think you're wrong about being liked tho. We all like you.The people that don't like you are'nt inportant enough to matter anyway.
Carrie is perfect for treasurer.I'd love to see someone just try to corrupt her.
Sherri, I can just see her out on a ship going after anyone threatning those poor old whales.
Bonnie could also be responsible for teaching those teens good work ethics.
The first thing Leaf can do is clean house in the senate.I vote she wear an apron.
With Jim in charge i will definately sleep better at night.He don't have to wear an apron.
Katie will do good. She will get along well with the Arabic countrys by showing them how to garden in arroyos(SP)
David is Carries to decide.
Gardening for 10 years is definately not too long.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7729856

Oh, Oh (waving hand & jumping up and down) I want to also study native American & herbalist treatments. Just aim me toward my teacher of ship whichever comes first. ^_^
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7734130

Oh My where to start. I do not think I could pass the background check.LOL. I will afterall have my SIL"s body in the closet.LOL. Just read the last post on the compassion thread Katiebear has us starting a group called the granny goons. LOL then I jump over to this thread and I have been nominated VP. I had just ask someone else to tell me something fun. I think it is so very funny to go from granny goons to VP so quickly. I got suspended from 9th grade 5 times for fighting. I have never been in trouble with the law or anything but I avoided them well during my divorce when I went alittle crazy and got tipsy a time or two. But I do not like to get my picture taken like Sarah Palin. I hate how being overweight makes me look. I also hate to dress up like first ladies and such so I would be attracting alot of negative attention in my jeans or cut off jeans.
I would also like to get in on the Native American and herbal treatments classes because I think it is very interesting but do not know much about it.
I love all the nominations and think you chose well in putting birdie over Wildlife Protection becuase she does love animals. Vickie, does the VP get a really sweet healthcare package ? Well, I need to go take meds so I can sleep.

Oh, I forgot I hope the storms that came through here slow down some before they reach any of you guys. There was a bad tornado over on the west side of Ms where 4 homes destroyed completely and 30 damaged. goodnight.scraps
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7734172

Oh, I am so humbled to have been with the group such a short time, and have been nominated to oversee the teeager's work projects. I am certain that it does not work with all teenagers, just my very own DGD. However, I do have a back ground in administrative work, so maybe can work out a deal that I can immediately pick out 10 and make them cabinet members, and hope that I have chosen correctly. They will be doing all of the work, and I hope that I can avoid the riots and uprisings. They can maim each other, and I will still be standing strong after the battle over the nicest assignments!!

I still expect to get a cushy compensation package, simply because I will talk the teens into not attacking you, or taking you prisioner. Sounds like a big mega package of health care will be appropriate for all of us!!
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7735254

Wow! This is some of the best conversation I've experienced on any internet forum.
The practical thing is, there is nothing we would do to prevent global warming that is not good for us. Less CO2 is good no matter what, less dependence on foreign oil is good no matter what,etc., etc., etc.
So, while we can debate, what is there to lose by addressing global warming? It is only a transitional problem of converting from CO2 to green methods. Even if 95% of the scietists are wrong, we would still have cleaner air, a more stable economy, and we stop sending money to countries that help fund terrorism.

Once, 95% of scientists agreed that smoking causes cancer and 5% disagreed(mostly 5% funded by the tobacco industry). That's what I think is going on now. But even if I'm wrong, the cureis good for us.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7735261

Got so into my soapbox speach, I forgot to mention that I will gett to see Carrie in person in an hour or so!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7735299

David, David, I know, Secretary of Health Education and Welfare. Gotta pack so David and DH and I can rendez-vous.
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7736836

Carrie and dave I hope you have a good visit. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Goodnight scraps
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7737028

Goodnight scraps, goodnight Carrie (really enjoyed meeting Ray & seeing you again), goodnight John-boy
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7737355

Hey i'm still awake! Have had an exciting weekend as in MAY YOU LIVE IN EXCITING TIMES. am glad it was nothing like Miss and ALA exciting.I got fed up at things here at the house and went camping all by my self in my car.Next time i take my dogs. I injoyed it. I camped by a creek but high enough not to get flooded out. Been a long time since i camped out like that and i plan on doing a lot more. Yes it rained and i could'nt start a camp fire. Ate potatochips and cokes. This campground had the same wildplants i do and i have alot more rocks here.Except the rocks they had were about 3 or 4 storys high.Mine can be picked up by hand.
All right! Carrie and David are having their first cabinet meeting Knew i'd picked the right people.
scraps, You have already passed the qualification tests. The body can go where all the Washington bodies go...In the Potomac river.
Do you know of any law that says granny goons cannot be in government. I suspect there are alot of them already.LOL We need a scrappy(No pun intended) VP. Did you win the fights in the 9th grade? Wonder how many Joe Biden had back then. As for your looks. We will start a new trend. Hefty is in and skinny is out. David will be in charge of research for good common sense healthy diets not skinny diets. BTW all of you listen up, David is in charge of healthcare as head of HEW.I want health care for all too. Whadda ya say David?
David you are so right. IF ITS GOOD FOR EVERYONE LETS DO IT.
Did you read awhile back that cows belching was helping global warming? Should we ban Milk,beef and cows?LOL Sorry David, I just could'nt resist.I've been laughing about that for weeks.
Miss Defoecat, You mentioned being so humbled in one paragraph and wanted a cushy package in the other. You are definately a seasoned politician. ROFLO. you're in. But your job description has changed. You're in charge of keeping an eye on the competition.
Goodnight Dave, Goodnight all,
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7738639

Ray (my DH) says I need some corrupting and that we need a Secretary of State. I say what about Katie and he says the SOS cannot permanently live abroad. David, it was very nice to see you again too!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7742073

Before I posted on this thread, I had to go find out about Granny Goons. LOL. I do love the way Katiebear’s mind works. Maybe, we should replace the C.I.A. with the G.G.’s. We could appoint Katiebear as head of that. She could set up an underground law enforcement service of Granny Goons throughout the world.
Uh-Oh. Background checks. I didn’t stop to consider that. Do you think the fact that I was once known as “the compasionate cannibal” would be a problem? LOL. I once bit a man who broke into my apartment. But, he was only 19 and obviously a very confused young man. People thought it odd I was capable of both feeling pity for him and unapologetically taking a bite out of crime. :-) But, we could take the same approach to dealing with my biting habit that Clinton did to his marijuana use. Remember how he admitted he did smoke a joint once to be sociable, but didn’t really inhale. I could defend myself by saying that while I did indeed bite some people in the past, I never chewed or swallowed. Thus, I’m not really a cannibal. And, we will emphasize the COMPASSIONATE part. With your former fighting experience, you can logically explain to people why I’m a biter. (With my spider-y hands, if I tried to hit someone, I would just shatter the bones in my hands and wrist.) Between the two of us, we could make a clean sweep of the “hawk” voters. The “dove” voters could be a problem, however.

Legitimizing and teaching about herbal medicine definitely sounds like a winner to me, Vickie. I was just reading how few plants have actually been tested for medicinal properties and how many are going extinct before we even know what potential health benefits they might have. In the case of the rain forest, many plants are not even named or cataloged yet. German doctors routinely prescribe herbs as well as pharmaceuticals. I don’t see why the American health care system is so resistant to the idea.
A package is on its way, Carrie. As this country’s future treasurer, I think you should think about replacing the monetary exchange system with a plant based exchange system. I mean, we’ve been using terms like lettuce and green-backs for years. We could make it literal. The presidential staff could be paid in fairy bells and canna lilies. Bonnie would have to be paid in rarer flora, I suppose, since she will be dealing with teenagers. What is called “hazard pay” in the military. LOL.
Jim found an enormous black snake under the deck yesterday. A local police officer came and took it away. He teaches a safety class to school children that deals with snakes. He collects them to show his classes. We were talking about how wildlife protection groups seem to focus the public eye on pretty animals. I mean, I’m all for protecting the rare and beautiful snow leopards, but what about homely critters like manatees? I was asked what I would do if I was told a species of snake in this area needed protecting. Uh-h-h, that’s a tough one. Kay*

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7742109

You know the Bible said that everything that God created was good. Says that in Genesis, but for the life of me, if I spent my entire life time studying this issue, I doubt I could find the good in snakes, skunks, possums, rats, and several others that don't come to mind right now. Yes, I am supportive of protecting wild life, but first, I need to know the benefits of some of them.

Hazardous pay in my instance would be as many daylilies that I could have. I don't know how many different ones there are, but I would like at least one of each!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7743871

Snakes eat mice and rats and other nasty stuff. Doesn't make me like them.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7743937

I agree with that, but what is the skunk's purpose in life?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 27, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7743975

I wonder if it would really damage "the living web" if only the poisonous snakes went extinct? Those are the only snakes I actively dislike. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7744209

LOL! There are no snakes in Ireland and they seem to manage ok without them.Here's to the Irish!!! Poisonous snakes are the only ones on my hate list too.
Bonnie, I can't comeup with a good use for skunks.Sheri had one for a pet and said it was very lovable.When we camped out in the wilds of Okla. There were a pair that came along everynight about 10 pm. We kinda ignored eachother and they ate whatever scraps i put out and we got along fine. wish i could say the same for the mama coon and her youngins. She stole a jar of peanut butter and opened it and ate it all. Peanut butter is my main camp comfort food.
My plants still have'nt been dug and mailed but they will be.Things have not been going smoothly here.I have now a small garden plot and hope to get some plants Friday.It's been too cold for anything to grow but a warming trend starts tomorrow.
Had group therepy this morning and injoyed it.Tomorrow will work outside again.
Vickie
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7749538

Hey guys,

Vickie, is that true that there are no snakes in Ireland? I have never heard that. That is a very interesting bit of trivia. I should take time to look it up but I figure it would be easier to ask. Afterall, I have admitted my brain is mush. Being funny here but the good that skunks do in this old world is they are great gifts for people treating you rotten. Gotta run BBL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7750166

Thats what i've read scraps, A fable says Saint Patrick played a flute and led them all out of Ireland. But actually they never had snakes to begin with.See never know when a useless bit of trivia comes in handy.
What a wonderful gift idea. Now where can i find a loose skunk. You need one and Kay needs one.LOL
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7750171

Hey, they actually sell skunk scent. It is suppose to be used by hunters to cover human scent. I bet Scraps has hit on its true purpose, however. LOL. It is about $8 a bottle for anyone who is interested. :-).
Nadine is still friends with Stinky, the skunk who lives behind the launrymat by her apartments. She still brings him treats from the restaurant where she works and he still walks her home at night. She says with a skunk walking a few feet behind her, she can walk the mean streets of Meridan, CT alone in the wee hours with no fear. LOL.
Speaking of scent, will you keep an eye out for that lemon-scented daylily, Bonnie. I'm after that one.
I will start putting the extras of Amargia's best shade plants in old nursery pots, Scraps. I could drop you off a truckload late this summer when I head up Vickie's way. I have 'Pride of Mobile' growing at the edge of the woods where it gets no supplemental watering. They are doing well there. Would you like some of those? I want to make room for more of the fragrant varieties and just get more plant diversity here, in general.
Vickie, Jim likes the 'Purple Knight' alternanthera and the dark-leaf coleus you sent in his little foliage garden area so much I planted more today. The guys have agreed to more pink flowers to counteract all the darkness. The background wall is even painted black so it is in danger of becoming sort of opressive. The guys like it though. Maybe, it's just one of those guy things you have to learn to live with. LOL.
There is a plant swap coming up in a nearby park on May 8th. Have any of you been to one of those? Kay*
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7750209

Kay, I will keep that in my mind, and if I happen across the lemon scented daylily, I will make a valiant effort to get one to you. I have several fragrant ones, but sometimes, even if they are advertised as fragrant, you have to have your nose touching it to smell anything. I suppose the most fragrant one I have is Chorus Line, and you can smell it clear across my garden, and my garden is sizeable.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7750241

Thanks, Bonnie. I will definately put Chorus Line' on my 'want' list. I didn't know there was more than one fragrant daylily. You can learn something new every day around here. LOL.
I will have to become a writer and move to Ireland. I've heard writers don't have to pay taxes there. No snakes and no taxes. Sounds like paradise! Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7750266

I did'nt know there was a fragrant DL either.Guess i'll have to go smell all of mine to make sure i don't have one.I'll bet it costs an arm and a leg.
Kay, There are some elephant ears that are white with pink veins.They would look really good with those dark colors.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 30, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7751353

Yeah, something like the 'Heart of Jesus' caladium or ones like that. It is "the guys garden" and my GS considers himself one of the guys. His current favorite color is fuchsia pink. (He hasn't started school and gotten brain-washed about gender and colors yet.) The ladies are taking unfair advantage of his innocence. They keep giving him plants with pink flowers to put in HIS garden. LOL. I could also snatch some of that 'Only the Lonely' Nocotiana from Kay's fragrant bed. The foliage is a nice bright green that would perk things up. (That should get a rise out of her. LOL.)
The Granny Goons (see "Compassion..." Accessible thread.) might consider makeing the bottled skunk scent their secret weapon for tough cases. LOL. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7752598

You stay away from my nocotiana!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7753190

Boys and girls! Play nice!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 1, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7754435

The boys have Kay watching that kid's show with the big, purple dinosaur. 3-year-old D. is teaching her the "Caring is Sharing" song. Maybe, that will help. LOL. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7755862

When it comes to spouses and flowers, The all is fair in love and war kicks in!
Carrie, I remember my first meeting with Skunk Cabbage up your way. Skunk cabbage juice would make good stuff for Granny Goons.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7759957

Carrie, here are some seeds of information I stumbled across last week that might grow into an article in your fertile mind. Your mind has the perfect growing medium for these particular seeds. They are all music/plant connections.
Arundo donax (seacane) came originally from the Mediterranean region and was the source for pan pipes. It is still the source for reeds in woodwind instruments. No suitable alternative has been found. (So I guess Arundo isn’t ALL bad.)
The seeds of Canna indica are considered necessary for making hosho, a traditional African musical instrument. A rattle. The hardness and viability of the seeds is considered one of the ways to tell the difference between Canna indica and Canna x generalis.
David had us discussing the human-created vs. just-a-natural-cycle theories of climate change at Amargia. This conversation led to talking about “the little ice age.” Someone mentioned the reason Stradivarius violins are considered superior and unrepeatable is they were made from wood with particular and un-reproducible qualities because the trees used grew during the little ice age.
Just thought all these were interesting plant/music connections and thought I would share.
Vickie, I planted Jim his very own nicotiana so he has no excuse for bothering my plants. Little Dillon also taught me the words to a song off “Lambchops”. (Can you remember when Shari Lewis’s Lambchops were considered entertainment suited only for adults? She toned down the act and made Lambchops suitable for kids.) The song is called “this is the Song That Doesn’t End.” It is highly effective in driving Grandpa Jim up the wall. LOL. Kay*

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #7760133

Kay, sort of like 99 bottles of beer on the wall!

Oh, how I do not miss those kids programs. When my DS was very little, he had a love affair with Barney, and I was ready to strangle that purple dragon!!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 3, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7762166

It's WORSE, Bonnie.
All together now:
This is the song that does not end
It just goes on and on, my friend
Somebody started singing it, not knowing what it was
Now, they will be singing it forever just because
This is the song that does not end...
Argh!!! (Grump-Pa Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7762269

LOL! 99 bottles of beer on the wall. On a band bus trip once everyone took up a penny collection to get me to stop singing that song.
When the girls were little, we were in the army and traveled alot.We sang those silly songs. Remember "There's a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea." "When Johnny comes marcing home again.""She'll be comming around the mountain." Which reminds me...Does anyone read Mother Goose to their little ones anymore? I've heard that don't happen in todays world.

Well think i'll go sit in a corner and put my thumb in a pie.LOL
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7762843

My daughter (now nearly twenty) has a version of that song for her step-father, my DH, about "the lecture that won't end."

Kay those are very plant-music tidbits, thank you VERY MUCH! I have an idea in the works called the music lovers garden but hat's just plants named after music things. This is MUCH better.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7762979

OK, so I invite DHin for a chat about the woodwind reeds and he gets his big, oafish FOOT wrapped aeound my power cord and dashes the laptop to the floor! Diagnostics reveal that the HARD DRIVE is disconnected. He thinks he knows somebody who can fix it, just not today.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7767392

Oh Carrie! That's a bummer! It seems like just when I am getting comfortable with a piece of equipment or a program something happens or they decide to "ENHANCE?" it. (mumble/grumble)
Jim tells me now there is to be no singing on the trip to AR. No singing and only 200 lbs. of rocks? Rules. Rules. Rules. That's okay. I'll bring lots of audio books. Lots and lots of Danielle Steel novels and the other "chick" books. Jim loves so much. LOL.
Who is for making a certain Mississippi congressman drink his "chocolate milk"? Or, maybe, just swim in it? Sorry, I know we really aren't supposed to get political. But, I was living in Galveston in the mid-80's so I have personal experience with oil slicks. That one got to me a little. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7767973

Kay, Can't see oil slicks are political. Just totally destructive.Saw a picture of a poor brown pelican today.(after she'd been halfway cleaned up.) We'd better not talk about this much. scraps will be down there wiping up the oil with an oilwell person. Boy oh boy this might be a good job for the granny goons.We can go after the president of the oil company.After we get hold of him we'll have to make him lower gas prices too.I vote for 25 cents a gal and no added taxes.
The sad fact is i remember when gas WAS 25 cents a gal.
Never fear about the singing and rocks. We'll sing when you get here and use MY scales to weigh the rocks.Kay. do you know where High Island is down around there? We use to go down there some in the mid 80,s Or am i lost? Galveston is south of Houston? Or is it in the Valley?
Carrie i am sorry about your computer. Does'nt your DH work for the AIRLINES. He does'nt fly a plane does he? LOL
I hear you about upgrades. Everytime MSN2 does one it's unusable for a month.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7768014

Yes he works for jetBlue that's why he was in sucha hurry to get to woerk so he could order people arund. He doesn't fly planes but he is in charge ofthe operation of jetBlue in Boston. It used to be 20 flights a day but now it's 80 and he is Very Important and always rushing around, never mind if hisfoot is twined arounf my power cord!

I say, sing all you want, kay! Singing is up there with freedom of expression!

Today I practiced walking (with braces and walker and physical therapist) in the dress I'm planning to wear when we renew our vows in August. It was good that I practiced - it turns out I don't do so well when I can't see my feet. Next move: get the dressHEMMED about 2 inches in front, at least!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7768143

Carrie wish i could see your dress.My imaginnation alwas goes into overtime. I can see you in A silky light blue dress. Now describe the real dress.
I just went outside where everyone has congragated. GS arguing with GF. SIL butting in making things worse.DD making ugly comments. Everyone drinking. If my DH were here he'd run them all off.Me? They just make fun of.
I hate drinking. I hate conflict.I want to tell them all to pack up and move out.I will feel better tomorrow.Half of them will be going back to Texas. Thank Heavens.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7772714

Galveston Island is about an hour south of Houston. If I’m remembering right High Island is on the eastern side of Galveston Bay. I remember Hurricane Ike did a lot of damage there. It was a favorite destination for birders.
The Congressman just saw the slick from the air. I guess it doesn’t look so bad from that vantage point. But, I can remember walking the beach in the mid-80’s after an oil spill came ashore on Galveston Island. . I happened to be wearing a wind-breaker with the Decca Survey logo (an off-shore oil surveying company that several of my family members worked for) I thought the bird people I encountered were going to drown me in the oily water or something. It was bad, especially for the sea birds. The Texas barrier islands are nesting sites for many such birds. Decca didn’t have anything to do with that slick, but all the birders saw was an oil person. They were MAD. I think the Congressman may be in for a hard time for trying to minimize the ecological damage in people’s minds.
I've gotten used to work boots and my "gator" garden shoes (like very utilitarian jellys. Remember those?) It is like I have to re-learn walking everytime I put on heels. Is the dress really blue? I'm curious too.
LOL. I can remember my father pitching a fit when gas went up to 30 cents a gallon. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7773745

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_single_product_detail.jsp?jproduct=63050&imgSrc=http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?src=images/onFigure/63/63050/63050_NA6434_m.tif&tmp=prdDtIm&isFeatureColor=true

This exact dress only in pale pale pink, a discontinued color which is how I managed to score one on eBay.

I also own it in the vintage burgundy color - when we were first - well, when HE was first promoted we were given tickets to this charity ball, evening gown event. Actually most of the women wore short black sparkly puffy dresses but you're not gonna catch me in something like that. All the guys would have been looking up my skirt. So when I saw a new d/c one in the right size on eBay I jumped on it (also substantially less money, believe me).

This message was edited May 7, 2010 9:45 PM
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7773876

Hello all!
Maine has no poisonous snakes. Given the beneficial elements of snakes, I think that makes Maine even more blessed than Ireland.
I'm game for immediate healthcare for all as Sec. of HEW. Who's in charge ofthe environment?You have a spill to clean up in aisle 2.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7775657

Sheri! Clean up in isle #2. No, never mind, I guess you're just in charge of washing off the poor birds. Who is in charge of the EPA here? I'll go down there and clean it up if I have to, but I want Sheri as a body guard. Those bird loving folk can get scary when they're mad! Kay*
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 8, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7776172

Nice dress, Carrie! Think it comes in my size? My parent’s 60th wedding anniversary is coming up. They want to know if “Vana” is going to be there to turn the letters. LOL. Seriously, I’ve always thought soft pinks look good on dark hared women. I’ve even started liking the contrast of pink flowers in the Guys Garden. It makes dark foliage plants look even more dramatic and there is something about seeing a delicate pink bloom against a backdrop of gray granite.
The Ligustrums (wax leaf and variegated privets) are adding their musky scent to the rose/honeysuckle mix. Some people say it smells like lilac. Kay asked me if that is so. This fragrance isn't one I remember before coming here but I don't have a good memory for scent.. Kay has never smelled lilac flowers. Not “true” lilacs anyway. Too hot for them here. Some people like the fragrance of Ligustrum. Others loathe it as too heavy. I don’t remember anyone hating the scent of lilac. Are any of you familiar with the scents of both?
I don't suppose they'll be sending in the military to clean up this mess so I'll go back to playing Dungeons and Dragons online. (Jim)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7776410

I suppose since I am Ministry of Youth and Children, I can declare a school emergency, proclaim the school year over, and unleash all of them on the southern coast!! I would bet if given the chance of time on a sandy beach, no matter the work that was involved, most would jump at the chance.

Nice dress Carrie. I forgot the ocassion, but no matter, you will look lovely in it.

Jim, I am very familiar with the scent of lilac, I have 3 in my yard, the old fashioned kind, not the new and better hybrids that have huge blooms but no aroma, but not the Ligustrum, so cannot give my opinion on the difference in smell. Kay, if you have never smelled lilac, go somewhere where they sell cheap perfume, and I mean the cheap stuff, and I am sure that you will find a lilac fragrance, and it very much like that. Ask why I know this, I encountered a lady recently who was wearing the cheap lilac stuff!!

scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7777269

Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies. I am off to nursing home to see mine. Have a great Day.

Hello to you too Jim and any other gents on here. scraps

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7777970

Thanks, i am wearing the dress when we restate our vows on our tenth wedding anniversary. I've never been married for ten years (to the same person) before!

my mother is allergic to the scent of lilacs - she finds it way too strong. Which is a shame, because they grow beautifully up here. And ... today is Lilac Sunday!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2353/

This message was edited May 9, 2010 4:07 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7779156

Jim, You are in charge of that oil spill and i know Kay will help you. Than all of us will have to come to Kays rescue When she's arrested and Jim says Kay? Kay who?
I've got lilacs too. If they were still blooming i'd press some for you to smell.
Carrie, You're dress is beautiful.
defoecat, What a great idea to get those kids out cleaning up that beach.Then let them have a week to injoy the beach.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7780189

Vickie, now that you're mobile, we're expecting you! Thank you - it has wide straps (to cover the full coverage bra) and is long enough to conceal all the braces. Isn't Bonnie clever as ... hmmm ... whatever Cabinet position that puts her in charge of kids?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7780750

It probably could be Mental Health, but I think Jim called it something else. That is my mental health not theirs!!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7781209

My SIL grew an old-fashion lilac here. She fell in love with the scent while living in Virginia and brought one back with her. Evidently, no one told her it wouldn’t grow here and plants never read our gardening books. (Grin )
It is the Japanese Ligustrum that has such a strong scent. Waxleaf privet is something a little different. Although, I’ve heard even nursery people call Japanese Ligustrum Waxleaf privet. All that fragrance is coming from only two large plants. There are quite a few variegated Chinese privet s here, but the scent of that is not so overwhelming. I’ll check out the inexpensive perfumes and I just noticed a lilac essential oil in one of my craft catalogs. I’ll have to settle for those until I get a whiff of the real thing. Amargia has some micro-climates because of the way we are tucked into the rolling hills. I may snag one of those lilacs of yours. Vickie. See if I can get one to grow here too.
Jim says if Bonnie is going to put large numbers of teenagers on Gulf Coast beaches, the military better be on the scene!!! It will be like Spring Break on overdrive! LOL.
Jim showed me a timber bamboo shoot he swears was not there when he mowed a week ago. It is twelve feet tall. We had better start thinking about how we are going to use our bamboo as building material. Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7781581

Kay, some lilacs don't know that they can't grow in southern climates. I have the old fashioned kind, and they usually send up some shoots during the summer. If you want to give it a try, I can probably furnish you some of those, via mail, and maybe you will get to smell the real thing, in a year of two. Just LMK.

Some of those teenagers could probably show the military a thing or two.

Some bamboo here is very unruly. Hope you don't have that kind to deal with. Most people here will sink an old wash tub, or something like that to plant the bamboo in, so that it will contain the underground runners. If not done that way, some can take over in record time, like kudzu.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 14, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7792321

Bonnie, the bamboo we have at Amargia is the running form. I talked Kay into it. I was stationed in Okinawa for a while and became interested in woodworking using bamboo. This is the true building bamboo, not an ornamental, although I do think it is pretty. It grows to over 70 feet tall. I have my fingers and toes crossed this does not turn out to be an experiment I regret. I would like to see bamboo used more in this country since it is such a renewable resource. It grows so much faster than most of our wood trees. Building lumber seems to be getting more expensive and of a lower quality.
I know I would like to try some old fashion lilac here. There is a small section on the eastern corner of the property that tends to stay noticeably cooler. I want to experiment with some plants there that are marginal as far as heat tolerance. I have grown some European plums from seeds I received in a trade with a DGer in the Netherlands. We have producing plum trees but they are the more heat tolerant Japanese plums. (‘Santa Rosa’ and ‘Friar’) I would like having a little place with plants that are more like the plants of my childhood if that is possible including a few European plums.
We spent the morning picking wild southern dewberries. A fact my back isn’t letting me forget. I wasn’t too impressed with them at first. But, J. taught me to put the fresh berries into a bowl of sweetened milk and just let it stand in the refrigerator for a few hours. They are excellent that way. I want to grow dewberries at the top of a retaining wall just outside our back door. It would be easy for me to pick them there and I can give them TLC that they wouldn’t receive growing wild. Kay is having a hard time wrapping her mind around the idea. Dewberries are a weed in her mind. A tasty weed, but still a weed. In the wild though, the best berries always seem to grow in the most inaccessible places. I don’t think we will be able to hunt the wild ones as we get older. I think I’ll eventually convince her. I know it worries her to see the children climbing on and walking atop that retaining wall. The briars would discourage the children from doing that. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 14, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7793777

I miss lilacs, too. One of the fun things about going to visit Grandma as a kid was also getting to visit Uncle Albert and Aunt Minnie and wander around in the HUGE lilac (and snowball) bushes. There were a dozen or more between the front of the house and the driveway. Have seen some lilacs every so often on the back roads around the Dallas area; they were always on property with abandoned homesteads. In general, though, the old fashioned kind doesn't really like it here. :-) Planted a Miss Kim for my sister and, while small enough to fit her yard and smells good in flower, it isn't all that pretty to look at once the blooms fade. Hope you find one that will be content in the east corner...

My garage is detached and set at the back SE corner of the property line. Put in two climbers hoping to keep the neighborhood feral cats from using that section as a cut-through from the grass alley to the street. The roses are exceptionally healthy. In fact, they are in the process of taking over the whole corner. Didn't work on keeping out cats, but no person in their right mind would try to climb that fence!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7793805

I would love to see that bamboo. I think my old SIL brought me back from Mexico a bamboo rainmaker for music its about 6"in diameter and abt 5' long.It has gravel in it and when you turn it on end it sounds like rain falling.He carried it by himself on a bus halfway across Mexico. So it is to me a priceless treasure.
I love dewberrys. Mine are just blooming. Looks like we'll have plenty. I'm going to try to pick some. Did you say J is from NY? Thats the way we like berries too,also with short cake.or i'll make a cobbler. We used to pick both dewberrys and blackberrys and i'd can them for cobblers. One year right after Al got out of the army. I picked and canned 40 qts. It was a good thing. AL found work at a sawmill and did'nt work most of the winter. We had blackberry pies,syrup,cobblers etc for every meal. Al would'nt eat blackberrys for years but it did'nt take me long to love them again.We were lucky to have them.You know all and all those were good days.
I think dewberry vines will trail down abit and look pretty.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7794728

YAYAYAAAAAY! I have a new computer. We're not totally i-n l-o-v-e yet but I think that will come in time. It's more like an arranged marriage, ya know? The screen is differently proportioned, the keys are in different places, I have to make back-up disks and install all kinds of stuff but in general I think it will work out.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7794759

Yippee for you Carrielamont. Yep, a computer is like a new boyfriend, it takes time to get used to them, before you fall in love.

I have been to the cemetery to help with a volunteer clean up, in preparation for Memorial Day. Less and less people show up each year, and it is frustrating to know that there soon will not be many who care enough to keep it looking decent. Out of 12 Board members, only 3 showed up to work, and the wife of one board member came, so only 4 of us. I have been there since 7 this morning. Had to take a shower immediately, as I tangled with some poison ivy. Sure hope I don't suffer any after effects from that.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7795011

Ugh, yes, Bonnie, Fels Naptha and a good scrub! (I've never had P.I. and I'd like to keep it that way...)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 15, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7795463

I know I’m going to regret saying this, but that is a pretty rose, Debra. LOL. Pink is a bit of a joke here. There is a little garden area known as the “guy’s garden”, but the ladies here keep slipping in pink flowers. So, I’m always hesitant to admit I like pink flowers because the ladies will jump on it and the “guys’ garden” is going to end up as the ‘pink garden’.
I’m very well disposed toward roses at the moment. They helped me convince Kay to go with the dewberry/wall project. There was a dewberry bush that had escaped weeding by camouflaging itself in a rose bush. I just had to give Kay the fruit that bush produced. The size and taste of those berries was all it took to convince her that my idea had merit. Because they got a share of the fertilizer and water meant for the rose, they were exceptionally large and sweet. The only compromise I had to make is that ‘fruit roses’ be planted on the wall too. Roses like ‘Jubilee’ that produce extra large hips. I can live with that compromise. Kay tells me roses, dewberries and blackberries are all in the same family and have similar nutritional needs so it should work since we are organic. After the dewberries have done their thing the coloring up of the rose hips should keep things interesting the remainder of the season.
If you ever do find a way to successfully keep neighborhood cats out of your garden, PLEASE share. LOL. We even tried giving them their own space filled with catnip and other kitty goodies. But, one still thinks the hanging baskets on the porch are really kitty hammocks. LOL. Kay tried putting rose canes cut to size in the baskets to make lying in them uncomfortable. Didn’t faze the cat. We are going to have to resort to canes from the ‘Flying Dragon’ hardy orange. Let’s see him snooze atop those! Wicked, wicked thorns.
Vickie, the timber bamboo lines the other side of the road across from your Amargia garden so I do hope you can get along with your new neighbor. LOL. J. loves New York City and she would probably go back there ….in a New York minute (LOL) if it were not for the children. But, I think she came originally from Houston. Didn’t you live in that area for awhile too? If J.’s cooking is typical E. Texas cooking, I want to move to E. Texas. LOL. Last night it was chicken in a fresh cranberry/barbeque sauce. Sounds odd, but man was it good!
That sounds like it was a real job, Bonnie. Hope you don't break out. I'm not very sensitive to it myself. Has it given you grief in the past? Someone should start a trend using graveyards in this country the way they do in England. They treat them almost like parks. I was worried about my God-daughter, Nadine, because she liked strolling thru graveyards. But, then she taught me how you can see the history of a place in its graveyards. She loves history.
Way cool, Carrie. Is the new machine a laptop? (Jim) .
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7795473

Jim, if it helps, the back climber is a butter-white, so it's not ALL pink. :-D

Here's one that was planted last Fall. Think it is going to be one of my favorites..

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7796042

Pretty rose.

No Jim, I have not had a problem with the PI in the past, but I had on long sleeves, and gloves, and since I was better prepared to tackle it than others there, I was nominated. I cut it and carried it to the trash pile, which will be burned. I know that didn't get rid of it, only the actively growing vines. I will go back and use some Round up, and try to get it really really gone.

We have several Yucca there that somebody at one time thought was a good idea. We have tried everything to kill the danged stuff. Does anybody know what works on it? DH took a chain saw and cut some down, but dulled the chain, and he only got to cut about 3.

Strange as this sounds, I am not familiar with dewberry. I have lived in the country all my life, and I am supposing that it is something that does not grow here, or I would have, at some time tried it.

Night all.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7796308

Bonnie, The one thing that got rid of the yucca up here was 10 days of below o temps 2 years ago.
Dewberrys are like blackberrys except they grow on vines along the ground.I go check my dewberrys about every couple of days. I will get some this year. If the Turkeys don't beat me to them. I've seen one hen and i bet she's got a nest somewhere. Do you have wild wintergreen in KYN? Wish we did.

Caring for cemetarys is falling off. Our,s is still active tho. I don't go as i can't do much but i do take care of family graves. Have made a couple arraingements and will buy a couple of flags to put out. Already took up the old flowers but left the flags till i can replace them.

PI...Am highly allergic and of course it is my best growing plant here.I saved my daylillys by putting them in pots and am slowly working on moving my iris. I've read that the PI acid is in smoke of PI plants so be careful.

Carrie, I'm so proud for you and your new computer.You're not computer illiterate, so you will have a big adventure.
Has it ever got warm up there yet? Where is David? Have we granny goons run him off? We want him back!!!!
I lived in NETEX. She was awfully close to cajun country.Maybe she picked up something from them. They had some fantastic cooking.Ask J if she was an Aggie fan.Texas A&M. I was.
I've known several people that looked to cemetarys for history facts and even made trace paper copys of some of the tombstones. I wish i had in Mena. The whole cemetary was destroyed by a tornado. My folks graves were saved because they were close to the ground. I would like to have cemetarys as parks.
Hope everyone sleeps good and dreams of pink roses and dewberrys.
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7796341

Make sure to dream about the dewberry FRUIT. If you dream about the vines it would be a nightmare. LOL.
I'm not looking forward to handling those brambles during transplanting. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7796345

Too True! LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 16, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7799409

Try this one, Jim. Doesn't "Feed me, Seymour!"come to mind? lol

Vickie, I am fond of cemeteries, the older the better. Did a class research paper once on how the culture of the area can be determined by the layout of a cemetery's plots and the material and style of the headstones. One of the oldest and largest in Garland is just a few blocks down the street from my house and it is so peaceful and very much like a park. Can see how smaller towns would have difficulty with maintenance. My mother is buried in Batesville and, because it's such a long drive from here, my sister and I are only able to check on the site every six or seven years. But the volunteer group up there does a nice job of caretaking.

Carrie, my boss had to drag me by the hair to really start using computers. Even after all this time with him--and in a company that recycles the dang things--I am still a novice and mostly clueless. :-) Just changing out my monitor gives me anxiety separation!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 16, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7799552

I may not have a very good memory for scent. But, I came home tonight to a scent I certainly recognized. The whole house smelled of roses.
It may seem odd to some but the smell of rose petals simmering on the stove is a comforting and familiar aroma to me. Penn. Dutch women sometimes use rose water in their cooking. I don’t get to dine on apple pie flavored with rose water this time though. Kay is just preparing roses from the mystery rose bush to make rose petal beads. The smell is still nice though.
Now, however, I might have dreams in which the roses eat me, instead of the other way around. LOL. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7800399

Rose water is a byproduct of making rose beads. He may get that apple pie yet, if he behaves himself. LOL. Not much chance of that happening.
Wintergreen is on my want list also, Vickie. I haven't been able to convince myself to pay the rather high price for the plants I've seen mailorder since it would be chancey here. We are at its southern limit.
Bonnie, if it is Yucca filamentosa, I've cut them off below ground and they have come back. I have some growing on a fairly steeep bank that is hard to mow so I didn't keep it mowed down as I should have. The taproots on yucca are unreal. That IS a tough situation.
Off to pick more berries. Does anyone know if they can be successfully frozen? Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 17, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7800558

Kay, some of the people here said dewberries should freeze like raspberries or blackberries. Can use a sugar pack or a syrup pack, but they advised if freezing dry pack individual berries that they be 'completely' dry first.

Bonnie, contacted some of the ag extensions here to find out how they would get rid of yucca without killing a chain saw. :-) Will let you know what they say.

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7800890

Thanks Debra, these may be prized plants somewhere, but they are not here. They seem to love our climate, and they scatter seeds and sprout all over the place.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 17, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7801283

Bonnie, um, not fun news. The Extension Horticulturist/Master Gardener Coordinator for Dallas County, Texas AgriLife Extension Service, Texas A&M University System said:

"You all may want to try a back hoe as the underground rooting structure must be removed if future sprouting is to be prevented. As you have chosen to physically remove the plant the entire plant above as well as below grown should be removed by whatever means works best for you."

I also had someone say they used a chain and a pickup.

Sorry... :-(

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7801794

What are rose beads? Or rather how are they made? For jewelry or what?
I can almost smell them simering. I love to add rose petals to salads n the summer!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 17, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7802267

Sheri, I have a friend from childhood who is now a Franciscan priest. He gave me a rosary made from rose petal beads for Christmas one year. (Perhaps, that is where the word “rosary” comes from?) I have been in love with rose petal jewelry ever since. Just about everyone who makes rose petal beads has their own recipe or little tricks, but it is really just finely chopped rose petals simmered at a low heat for an hour or two. It forms a sort of paste that you can shape into beads. When they are dry enough to hold their shape but still soft, you pierce them and dry them on a wire until they are hard. Some people like to varnish them to preserve them, but that destroys the most appealing part of rose beads in my opinion. This is that they retain a slight scent. If you store rose petal jewelry in an airtight container, the beads can last for years and keep a ghost of a scent.
. Kay*

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7802322

Sorry, I forgot to log Jim out and log myself in. But, I do think seacane is a pain too. The green kind the flowers in fall anyway. Think yucca with dreams of world domination, Bonnie, if you have never seen seacane. LOL. Kay*
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7802376

Well, I have never seen seacane, and if it is as tough as the yucca, I don't think I want to make it's acquaintance!!

Thanks for the information lovemyhouse, as disheartening as it was. I didn't figure it was anything easy like sprinkling them with salt, or something.

I have never heard of the rose petal beads either. I think I must have led a very sheltered life!! But I bet the aroma is really lovely.

Don't know if anybody here is a fan of knockout roses, but I have one single one and 2 double ones and they are loaded with blooms. They are pretty, but I long for some old fashioned kind with fragrance. I have a fairy rose, which is a climber, and it has a slight scent, but I want something that when you walk within 5 feet of it that you can smell it.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7802997

I had'nt heard of rose beads either. How totally wonderful. Have one old fashioned rose with a fragrance. It is not as pronounced as advertised tho.
I had some bad news today. My BIL in ETX passed away this morning. He has been sick for awhile. Will go down for the funeral, which is Friday.Should be back Saturday.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7803392

Safe travel Vickie. Watch out for the goonies out there. We all want you back safe and sound...er...safe at least. I don't know that I'd recognise sound. That is said in jest of course since all of us admitedly have our "fog" or other isssues.
love & prayers,
Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7806002

Have decided to go down with my nephew in his pickup. We have'nt visited in a long time and we'll both injoy the visit on the way down there.
Sheri, i think this "Fog" is something we can all share, Since there's plenty to go around.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7806060

So sorry to hear about your loss, Vickie. Hope the trip goes well. We will be thinking about you.
Hang with us long, Bonnie, and you will be fully armed with knowlege should you ever find yourself on the Gulf Coast. Or, terrified to come here. LOL. And, we should know what to watch for in KY.
I “rescued” my mystery rose from a graveyard years ago. Is this graveyard week? LOL. The family of the deceased thought it was ‘Mr. Lincoln.’ I don’t know much about roses, but I don’t believe there is a climbing version of Lincoln and I don’t think the blooms are such a dark red. I suspect the ‘Mr. Lincoln’ died and what I have is whatever rootstock the nursery used for grafting. Not sure about that, though. It is one of those type roses that have the fragrant leaves with touches of a magenta color in the new foliage. I do love that, but the look of the foliage is probably a little coarse for some people’s taste. It was blooming beautifully in shade when I first saw it. That is what caught my attention. It is rambunctious, however. You can’t be hesitant with the pruners. Maybe one day I’ll actually figure out what kind it is. :-)
I will be envying you with your ‘Knockouts’ in another month or so. Those are very resistant to blackspot, aren’t they?
Sheri, the lily in the bud picture I put on your b’day thread bloomed today. I’ll try to get a photo of it tomorrow. I think you’ll like it. Kay*
Photo: Mystery Rose

Thumbnail by Amargia

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #7806095

I had a regular Mr. Lincoln and the blooms are'nt the same color. uh Do i dare say i think it's prettier?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7806494

I thnk the knockouts are pretty resistant to just about anything. However, some critter has been muching on the foliage at the bottom of my biggest and oldest one. Had to bring out the big guns and give it a spray. It looks better already.

That is a pretty rose, but in no way would I think Mr. Lincoln.

I love the Gulf coast, we have vacationed there several times. Maybe we are just not going the right places to see seacane, and the native plants.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7806847

Hullo - I'm stil here! I wish stuff still came with instruction manuals but it's all online these days! Gimme a good old-fashioned instruction book to read!

Sorry about your BIL, Vickie - have a safe trip and have a good time with your nephew. (Road trip!)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7809340

Carrie, I complain about no instructions all the time. It's so sad there used to be simple instructions in everything and now not a hint of instructions.
This ole girl needs instructions on how to use a disposable camera and notta. Nuts!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 19, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7809583

Bonnie, we try to hide our seacane and kudzu. Don't want to scare the tourist. lol. The kudzu is sort of hard to hide though. Like a pink elephant in the living room. You probably saw seacane, but mature it looks much like bamboo and it goes by many aliases. Mostly you see it on old farmsteads. They made fishing poles and other practical stuff they needed with it. They were smart enough to plant it in dry places so it didn't run wild. It only goes crazy when it has free access to a lot of water. I guess I've come around to accepting the definition of "weed" Kay uses. "Any plant that is where it shouldn't be."
I like the form of fairy roses, but all the ones I've seen are pink. They do come in other colors, don't they?
J. was laughing at the instructions that came with a new blowdryer she bought for her hair. The instructions informed her that using the product while in the shower could be hazardous. Uh-h-h. You have to wonder if it was someone's idea of a joke or if there was a real incident that prompted the manufacturer to put that warning on the instruction sheet. :-) (Jim)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 20, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7810697

Carrie, I'm with you. Want that paper in my hands so I can carry it with me and fold it up and dog ear the corners and mark on it...But you'll win! :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7811086

I'm still here working on my computer ... Jim, I've only seen pink Fairy roses but there may be other colors that I don't know about.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 20, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7811133

Carrie, I have faith in you. :-)

Jim, the Fairy Rose is only pink. The "Flower Carpet" roses are similar in form and size, but come in several colors including dark red and amber/coral.

Debra

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7812386

Hugs Carrie. How does one get instructions on how to construct a computer on line when one cannot get online till one constructs the computer.LOL

Those commonsense precautions pop up everywhere. I can't decide if everyone today is thought incapable of common sense or if(horrors) we,actually no longer have commonsense.
Since i have no commnsense,I am going to dig up some kudzu to plant.Since it has a useful purpose.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7813451

Might get to try Jim's fan idea. This weekend is supposed to be in the low 90s with high humidity and, since this is the first full weekend I've had off in three months, the plan was to be in the yard as much as possible. "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley." Or, we plan, God laughs. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7814510

Exactly, Vickie! Just go online to download the driver to your modem that gets you online ...?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7817857

Well, it only got to 90 today, but the humidity was really high for us. Of course, I forgot to ask the warehouse guys for one of the fans to try out Jim's technique. Good thing there was a consistent, steady wind and it was reasonably comfortable in the shade. Had lots of Gatorade, too. Wasn't an MS day, so I got cocky and worked too long. I go out with six things I want to do, then spot 19 more that need taking care of and start bouncing back and forth between them all. The gardener's version of ADHD. LOL Stayed out four hours digging a LOT and pulling more of the thousands of seedlings my cedar elm sheds every year. (They are EVERYWHERE.) Which means tomorrow will be a creaky day. Thankfully, it will just be the "I'm not as young as I used to be and old muscles are talking back" rather than the "Uh-oh, I think I did a baaaaaaaaaadd thing!!" :-) And I don't have to drag around the office tomorrow, so I can be a sofa spud with coffee and a book all day.

My kid laborer who was going to dig the daylily bed is co-opted to his church for the next few weekends, and the other broke his hand and is in a cast for six weeks. Looks like the red'uns will stay in pots for longer than anticipated. Kay, most of them are rebloomers and I was looking forward to posting the photographs, as there are some really glowing reds. Afraid it might be next Spring before that happens, now. :-) Did get the Agastaches, Baptisia, and Banana Cream daisy all planted. Fingers crossed they like their new homes.

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7818088

Debra, certainly sounds like you "tore it up" today. I do that too, when I have a day where I feel good. Usually I pay for it for the next 2 or 3 days. I was sort of like that today, but certainly didn't do as much as you. We were in the 80's today, with a slight breeze which kept it comfortable even out in the sun.

Since I was late doing my winter sowing, I transplanted those tiny plants into bigger flats, painted a bench that I keep potted plants on in the garden, and also painted a couple of decorative lawn ornaments that had faded from the sun.

DH used the power washer on the deck and the front porch yesterday, and today I moved the front porch furniture back.

I had planned on hiring some help in digging and dividing all of my daylilies, some 170 something, but have nowhere else to put them, so guess if they get dug, it will be because I am digging them to sell, or to give away. I have some really pretty ones, and some very expensive ones. I just can't manage it all by myself.

I have talked to a lady who does house cleaning, and I am going to hire her to come every two weeks to clean for me. I have just gotten to the point that I can't do it all anymore, and my house isn't that big.

Then, I will have to conserve energy to get the freezing and canning done later on. DH has a big garden, and I try to put up as much as I can, in order to enjoy the fresh from the garden,and to save on grocery bills.

I have talked to my Dr about my lack of energy, and he assures me that it can take up to a year to regain my strength from my illness and hospital stay. I have started walking again. I used to walk 2 miles every day, and I can only do the equivelant of about a city block. Pitiful isn't it?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7818250

Bonnie, yeah, I hit it pretty hard. There is so much to do, even with such a small yard and I so rarely have energy to work outside when I get home during the week. The house needs powerwashing, branches hitting the roof need trimming, there's weedy grass in every bed to pull out, half a truckload of mulch sitting in the driveway to spread out, and on and on. I've basically done everything for myself since I was eight years old, but having a house at all is such a miracle to me that not being able to do everything myself at *53* years old it isn't as frustrating as it could be . LOL

Think I will take the hire route, too, and get someone in to at least pull the weeds. The boss will let me bring a tall ladder from work to trim the branches. And, I'm sure, insist on sending one of the "boys" to do the trimming. If I fall off the ladder and get hurt, he doesn't have an operations manager anymore and will have to take it himself. LOL

Those daylilies do spread fast. 170 is a LOT. Sounds like you have plenty of stock for a sale. :-)

Hooray for housecleaners! Even if you do have energy, at some point, you have to choose where it's important to spend your time. I think it's a great decision. Housekeeping has never been high on my priority list, and even less so when the MS and the fifty'leven other things popped up. But one of my dogs is long-haired and a prolific shedder. I don't have dust bunnies, I have dust jackalopes! Thinking of talking to our office cleaner to see if she has time for my house every month or so. It's less than 900 square feet, all hard surface flooring, and one tiny bathroom, which shouldn't take her long to dust and sweep.

Walking a block at a time is a great start and you can slowly build up. I'm sure it is hard to adjust after the two daily miles and you ARE back out there, now, so it will come. :-)

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7818333

Thanks Debra, I know it will come, but I just need a little more patience. I heard a joke once that a preacher told about a lady who continuallly prayed for patience. The Lord answered her prayer by giving her 6 kids, so I am a little hesitant to pray for patience!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7820762

Bonnie, remember you're getting advice from someone who is proud of being able to walk 30 feet with a walker and two braces, BUT... with MS like mine, for instance, you have to build up in incredibly tiny increments. One day I'll do 10 minutes on the bike, the next day 11,and the next day 12. I can't go 10, 30, 60 or anything. But amazingly, if you build up in those tiny increments, eventually you get to where you want to be. (I don't have MS days and non-MS days, I have MS all day and all night, 24/7! No way could I do what Debra did.)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7820779

Oh, Carrie, I have been so insensitive. It is like I cried because I had no shoes, and then I saw someone with no feet. Sort of puts into prospective. I was very healthy until my hospital stay in February. Was able to do anything that I wanted, and I was so sick, that the Dr said it would take a year to regain my strength. The only infirmity (I don't say disablility) was my limited sight.

I certainly have learned to be thankful for the little progress I make. There are days that I have my private pity partieis, but I am soon back on top again.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7820943

Bonnie, I’m the oldest of four, raised my siblings pretty much myself, have a couple of teaching certifications, tutored learning disabled students for a few years, and am boss and mentor to most of our college-age staff. I don’t mean to come across as arrogant or “know it all,” I simply can’t help trying to “fix” things for others. It’s become ingrained over 40+ years. And I have to use all those psychology and sociology and grief classes SOMEWHERE :-), so, here goes, hope it doesn't make you mad:

You aren’t insensitive that I can see, or you wouldn’t be so upset thinking you have been to Carrie. Of COURSE you aren’t saying that your situation is worse than anyone else’s. Of COURSE there are others in worse OR better shape than you. What people like Carrie and Kay and Jim and Vicki do every day astonishes me. I don't think there is anyway I could have their pain and still be able to carry on as fully as they do. But this is what did happen to YOU. It is natural--and healthy--to acknowledge that physical abilities have been affected by whatever it is, be it a one-time accident from which you will completely recover or a chronic illness from which you won’t. If you try to mash it all down and pretend everything is the same as before, it will come out and bite you in the anatomy when least expected! :-) There are adjustments to make, or grief stages, if you will, to go through. Even if all you did was break a toe and have to limp around for a few weeks, it is still a loss. The only question is the degree. Trying to suppress those stages takes more energy than it does to go through them, so why not let them loose? Again, I’m NOT AT ALL saying that we shouldn’t take others into consideration or that we should feel sorry for ourselves all the time. It’s only that I believe being fair to yourself means not being too harsh WITH yourself for expressing the discomfort and changes you are experiencing as you do experience them. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7821021

Thanks, Debra! :) I wasn't saying poor me, you think you've got it bad, think of me, I was truly trying to share my experience about building back physical strength slowly. Of course it shows that you're NOT insensitive that you thought of us and not yourself. Now let's get you back into shape! 1.2 city blocks?
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7821040

Hey guys, I am sure I am insensitive sounding when I complain too. I do not mean to sound like an insensitive jerk to Carrie when I moan and groan. I am Thankful I can walk. But when I work too much I hurt because of the fibro so I really need to moan and groan some because dadgummit it hurts.

I love you Carrie and I am so proud of you for the challenges you have faced and you are accomplishing a big goal in walking. But when I am hurting I am just feeling sorry for me and I forget about others. I do not mean too but I just neeed to vent my frustrations. I am sorry if that is insensitive. I need a hug now cause I have a headache I can't shake but I will send you one if you return the favor.LOL ((((())))

Bonnie and debra try to take care and hugs to each of you. scraps Do either of you use a rolling stool while you work in the yard. I found a great heavy duty one at Harbor freight that has what is called a tractor seat on it and it has really been helpful in my yard work. I will see if I can find a picture and post it. scraps

Thumbnail by scraps

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7821075

YOU POSTED A PICTURE!!! Yeah Steph!!! I couldn't sit up in that, sadly.

Hey folks! STOP FEELING SORRY FOR ME!!!!! I have pain, you have pain, we all have pain. Today, among other things, Steph has a blood pressure headache (owwweee) and Bonnie feels loss of her ability to walk/run. Those are no less valid or urgent because of Jim's back pain! Hugs (gentle) all around - group hug.

I have to mention that my typing is so rotten that I have firefox set up to underline mis-spelled words in red lines - and "owwweeee" is underlined in a very painful red.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7821082

Carrie, I know you were. You are the least likely person to say "poor me" that I have ever talked with, even if it is only by email. :-)

Miss Scraps, we all need a place to safely vent how we are feeling when we are feeling it. This is it! And I am soooooo happy I found it and that you have all accepted me. There isn't anyone around me that understands-or wants to hear about-having a disability or chronic condition, except maybe my sister. But she has her hands full with the kids and grandkids, 'specially since her husband's a long-haul trucker and is only home every other weekend, so it seems like I'm adding to her burden and I keep quiet. Here, if I go "waaaaaaahhhhh, I don't feel good today!!!" nobody will say suck it up, or stop being so whiny, or you look fine to me. LOL It is SUCH a relief. :-)

Debra
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7821149

I love DG. I would not have spent the money on a new subscription if not for the fact that I think being on here with you guys does more for my depression than my prescriptions. I think that group hug just made my headache better.LOL. I hope you all feel better too. I think that Carrie started us a new theme song. Sung to the "Barney" theme song tune.

I have pain, you have pain, we all have pain.

I have a hug and you need one so take one down and pass it around...LOL.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7821213

You guys are terrific. I already feel better. I was so-o-o-o depressed for awhile.No particular reason,just depressed.
I took your hug and used it Now i'll pass it to Bonnie.
Steph, that buggy is a winner. Does it have brakes? Would you use them if it did?
Carrie, I don't feel sorry for you. You have beautiful music in your head. I do empathise sometimes tho.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7821223

Thanks for getting this back on track. If you could meet me, and be around me, I am one who just does not take sympathy from others well.

I am glad to know that this is a good place to moan and groan a little, then hitch up your britches and get on with it. That is the kind of person I am. I know that of everybody here (or so it seems) that I probably have the best prognosis, for a full recovery from my illness, and for that I am grateful. Thanks everybody for helping me put things into perspective. I have truly come to feel that I am accepted and welcomed here.

Thanks Debra, I don't take offense at truths. Sometimes just have to step back and try to assess the situation and find usually that the other person has hit the nail on the head.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7824288

Jim, this one is for you. It ain't pink! LOL

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7824572

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

Wow Debra that is beautiful. What kind is it? You have the prettiest pictures. I love flowers.
I stained a rocking chair and a small table today among other chores that had to be done. Lots of laundry for one, quite a few dishes and cooked 2 meals. Then watered my yard where I am trying to grow some grass. I hate the fact that I can grow grass so well in the flowerbeds but not in my new yard. How ironic.
I am tired but wanted to say hello. Hope you all have a great day tomorrow. Love and Prayers, scraps
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7824643

It is a hollyhock. Planted five in mixed "barnyard" colors, experimenting with them in this climate. Have a nice vivid pink just now opening, and two more in bud. Will have to wait to see what colors they are. My grandmother didn't go in for flowers much, but had hollyhocks, iris, peonies, and lily of the valley on her farm. I loved going to her house and I'm slowly trying everything she had to see if they will grow here in remembrance of her.

Sounds like you had a productive day. Isn't it funny that the grass will always grow where we DON'T want it? LOL

Bonnie, I am like you in that I don't take, or really want sympathy. It is too often facile and superficial. Empathy, now, that's different. All of us here share something that most people never have the insight to deal with, and the understanding that brings can't be bought. So I am happy to listen to a little moaning and groaning from you, or any of the rest of us, until you, or any of the rest of us, are ready to hitch them britches! Because I know you would do the same for me. And my turn's coming, believe ME! LOL Thank you...

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7824654

And Debra when it comes, I will listen and probably won't comment much, but know in your heart that I am cheering for you, and for all of us really. We can empathize when one of us it hurting, or can lift them up and cheer them on, when they are having a good day. That's what friends do.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7826333

I love Hollyhocks, but I've never been able to grow them. I think if I ever get the brush cleared out of the downhill side of the house they might do well there. Good day to everybody - it's lovely here in MA, although I'm still waiting for a call back from my neurologist!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 25, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7826468

Kay’s been trying to get me to plant some seeds, but I haven’t felt like doing much. Thanks for the inspiration, Debra. I know there are some hollyhock seeds in the seed bank. I’m going to get some of those in the ground. One is called ‘Charter’s Double Magenta’ and the other ‘Old Fashion-Pink. I’ll try both so the ladies don’t have to trouble themselves sneaking in the pink ones later. lol.
The jasmines are in bloom! When they bloom and overlap the last of the magnolias, they create my favorite ‘scent-scape” as Kay calls it. The jasmines have a crisp, clean edge to their sweetness that appeals to me. Describing scent and taste is hard. I still can’t quite capture them in words the way DW does. The fragrance makes me think of lying down on cool linen sheets on a summer night. That is as close as I can come.
The first fresh tomatoes of the year are almost ripe. Full size, but not fully colored yet. Peaches and blueberries are close to ripe as well. Plums are still only about quarter-size and green. The tree is loaded. I’m beginning to think I should have thinned the fruit some. For reasons we aren’t quite sure of, Amargia tends to run a couple of weeks behind the surrounding area. We suspect it has something to do with the way we are tucked in between three slopes and the nearby streams create a slightly cooler micro-climate. Harvesting the last of the dewberries and the beginnings of the blackberries.
We did some Three Cherokee Sisters plantings in tire rings. (Beans squash and corn planted together in raised planters created by removing the sidewalls from old tires.) They seem to be doing well. We have never had much luck with corn in the past. We just traded our fruits and herbs for our neighbor’s fresh corn in former years. Still experimenting to find ways to successfully grow corn organically.
Kay is working on a new planter made from recycled material for the w/c garden. It’s going to be an interesting one. But, I think it will work out well. Post a pic in a day or two. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7826614

Grrrrrrr. My tomato plants aren't even big enough to plant out yet! Can you say "short season?" I guess this is the last time I start from seed!! (No space for growing them indoors.)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7826661

Is it to late to plant Hollihock seeds?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7826675

?? I do know they're biennials.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7826974

First off Happy Birthday carrielamont!! Hope you are having a good day.

I have hollyhocks, and I planted them from seed, and they are spreading everywhere. They are the Black Nigra, and a very very dark color. It does seem to have a purple tint to them, but the closest black flower I have ever seen.

Went shopping today and bought an entertainment center. I was in DH's pickup truck, and because they didn't have to deliver, and there was a tiny scratch on it, I got $150 off!! What a deal. It is pretty, a cherry finish.

Got the pool open yesterday, and have been monitoring it today to make sure all hoses etc are okay. Sometimes you don't know those things for a couple of days. So won't go off and leave the pump running, just to water my backyard.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7827360

Happy Birthday Carrie, My Tomatoes are just blooming. Thats all right Carrie,When everyones tomatoes are all gone we'll still have some. ;)
Hollyhocks are a warm weather plant. Id plant them now but not wait any longer,Sheri.
I have'nt checked my dewberries in a couple of days but don't think they're ripe yet. I never had much luck with corn and now I don't think it'd grow in containers.
Kudos, Bonnie for the great bargain, Wish i could remember for sure if it was Ladybird Johnson that told of going around scuffing up some furniture in the White House cause she did'nt like perfect looking furniture. It needed a family look.LOL
We're having thunder showers off and on today.(muggy and hot) I was having trouble breathing today and turned the AC on the earliest ever.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7827718

Thanks, folks, for the sweet birthday wishes! I feel so loved on this forum!

Vickie, I don't like you to have trouble breathing. Should you go to the MD or are you SURE you're OK? And how do you have tomatoes that are blooming? I'm so behind ...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7827873

Carrielamont, you are loved, not just on this forum. I am sure that you have family and friends, and I hope a church family.

I turned on our AC over the weekend. DGD was here, and she doesn't like to open windows, so for her comfort, I turned it on Friday night. I like to have my windows open until I just have to close the house and turn on the AC. We are having temps in the high 80's this week, so it really does feel good with it on.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7827985

Carrie, You certainly are loved at home as well as here.
I answered this post but don't have a clue what happened to it. I probably pushed the wrong button.
This breathing problam goes with the territory of CHF. When it gets too bad i'll start using oxygen. I'll be going to the doctor for a good physical after the eye surgery.
Thats ok about tomatoes bloming late. We'll still have tomatoes when everyone elses has bit the dust.
I'd much rather have open windows than AC also.
Hugs all around.
Vickie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7828035

Vicki, I will start some tomato seeds probably in a week or so. They are called Late Keepers, and the claim is that you can pick them while still green (about the time of frost) and wrap them in newspaper, and you can have ripe tomatoes all winter, or at least till Christmas. Gonna give it a try, because it sure would be nice to have them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. I will try to let you know how this experiment goes. That is if I remember!!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7828040

Happy, Happy Birthday Carrie!!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 25, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7828294

Carrie, all the best on your special day.
You and Vickie also have the advantage of fewer insects and wild things that love tomatoes. The fact the tomatoes are nearly ripe still doesn't mean they will make it to the kitchen. Fenny stays outside most nights now so maybe whatever took a sample bite from mine last year will be too wary of her to come out of the woods this time around.
I will ask about your tomato experiment around Thanksgiving, Bonnie. If it has to do with food, I tend to remember. lol.
Hug that AC, Vickie, and be very careful. Your health problems sound very similar to those of one of Kay's sisters. She got into her parked car at the mall. Something about the blast of hot air when she opened the car door made her unable to catch her breath. Fortunately, another shopper noticed her distress. He helped her with her oxygen and called an ambulance. She ended up spending a few days in the hospital and considers herself lucky. Is your condition one of those that would be helped by being in a dry climate? I ran into quite a few people in NM who lived there for health reasons. They could handle heat, but not humidity. (Jim)
Happy Birthday, Carrie! (Photo: jasmine in bloom.)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7829326

Thank you for the lovely flower, Jim, I can only imagine the scent. I think we're supposed to be here.

NEW THREAD:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101141/#new

This message was edited May 26, 2010 11:03 AM
reeter
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #7907497

hi folks,

has anyone found a weeder you can use standing--not for deeprooted weeds like dandelions, there are plenty of those out there--for blades of grass or other, smaller weeds. appreciate the help.

r

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7911093

Reeter, excellent question, but please join us on the new thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101141/#new

We don't always stay on topic but I'm sure someone will have something to say to your question. (I'm not a stander myself, so I can't speak to it.)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
11:07 PM

Post #7912439

reeter, I have an electric weedeater i can use some. I got it at Walmarts. It wont do heavy weedeating but does good on the smaller stuff. There is no way i can pull a cord to start a gas one.
Hope this helps.
Vickie
Do come on over to the other threads and join us. We'd love to have you.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8024693

I am a "physically challenged" woman aged 64 and I have a little problem. I have a lilac bush that has been out in my yard for years. It is not growing any larger even though it appears healthy and I think this for lack of any sunshine. It is planted in a very shady spot. It is not possible for me to move it so I am wondering if it is possible to put grow lights outdoors? I have an outdoor outlet just about 7 feet from the plant. If this is possible then do you need a special kind of light? Must you protect the bulb from getting wet? Is "grow light" different than sun light? I did not know which forum to ask this question in so I am hoping that somehere someone can help me out.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8025190

Hey Mable Ruth. Welcome and join right in. I have a lilac tree and it gets about 1/2 days light. It took several years before it bloomed. How long have you had it and how tall is it? I dug mine up as a 3' sapling.
Vickie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8025320

Well, i've posted a new thread. Would you beleive we have 222 posts on here.
When we started it, we were concerned about the cold. I'd love to have my dog pen full of snow right now.
We can go here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121489/
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8026572

Thank you cando for the reply. This bush has been here for years and years. It used to be in a pot and a really bad storm knocked it over, breaking half of its limbs off. I pruned off the broken parts and kept watering it just for luck and it has come back to looking like itself again. Now it is in the ground but gets no sun - perhaps a little dappled shade. It had one bloom once and that is it. It is only about three feet high even after years of "growing". I really want this plant. As stupid as it sounds it has special meaning to me. I do not care if the neighbors think I am nuts or if the electric bill goes higher. I just want to find a way to make this plant work. Unfortuneatly I am old and disabled too so I cannot move it to a better location. So perhaps I should just find another love ! !
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8066894

I have a Lilac plant that looks like it has powdery mildew. I will dispose of it safely but I was wondering if it is safe to re-use the soil from this pot?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8067058

As far as I know all Lilacs are prone to powdery mildew. It is not harmful to the plant or it's surroundings, just an unsightly problem. I think the only advice I have heard as a remedy, is adequate air ventilation, and if it really bothers you that it looks bad, an insecticdal soap spray.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #8087474

Lilacs are very zone-dependent.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America