Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Does anyone grow calla lily in pots?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cheryl_103
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
11:21 PM

Post #7577639

I just bought some pink calla bulbs (rhizomes, whatever!) that I want to grow in large pots on my patio. An aquaintance of ours had two large pots of them growing a few years back, and she had told us that she just brings the whole pot indoors for the winter. (We're in zone 6, too cold for callas over winter.)
Has anyone else grown callas in pots? Any suggestions, tips, or warnings? Definite do's or don'ts?? I've never grown them before but they're so pretty, and with all the snow we have on the ground, I needed SOMETHING to help me think spring!

Thanks in advance for your input!

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7582292

I'll send this link to someone I know who grows them in NJ. Good luck.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7583008

Hi Cheryl, Pirl sent me your thread. I ONLY do callas in pots. I unpot them in the fall and box them up for the winter. I think I used peat moss as a packing medium. I've never tried bringing the whole pot in, but I've heard that works just as well, and if you've got the room, it would be easier. I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of proliferation that went on in the pots during the growing season. I will have to buy some more pots for the babies :) Good Luck with the beautiful Callas!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
2:12 AM

Post #7583041

Thanks for posting, Louise.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7587957

I had beautiful huge white calla lilies in a large pot last summer. I left them in the pot to overwinter. Was that a mistake? I'm zone 8 - this was definitely a warmer winter than we usually have. We had only one cold snap and it was dry. That was in November and they say that winter's pretty well finished for us this year in Seattle. Nighttime temperatures are all above freezing.

So . . . do you think the callas will come back? How long should I wait before I know. And what's a good source to get more if I've lost them. I have a lot to learn about these . . .

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 1, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7596390

I bought a couple of "Charlie Brown" calla lilies last summer at Walgreens, they were already potted, and I repotted them together into one pot, and they did well. It's colder here, so I brought the pot indoors to a cold room, so they could be dormant, but I brought them out a week ago and they seem to be sprouting, or I have a case of serious wishful thinking :)

I got more bulbs from Costco yesterday, to grow in pots.
Cheryl_103
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7608020

Thank you for posting, everyone!

Venu, that's what we used to do with canna's we used to grow; I had a feeling they would be treated in much the same way. (Except we used to plant the canna's in the ground after frost danger, then dig them up before winter.)

Celene, glad to hear you got calla's at Costco; mine came from Sam's Club, heehee. Not exactly a purist's source, but the price is right.

The snow is finally melting here...YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! Still a long way to go though, but slow & steady will help avoid runoff flooding, a serious problem for some people in my area, although not where I live.

Thanks again...and I still welcome any additional comments.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7706532

I have grown calla's in pots for years. In the winter I bring them in and let them keep growing. One year I did let them go dormant in the pot and let them dry in the soil, then just start watering closer to spring. This year they grew all winter, when they got spider mites (I have brugmansia) I just cut the green leaves off and they grew right back big and healthy.
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7707967

I have grown callas in pots for a number of years. The colored ones do not survive outside through the winter here. The white ones do but they need to be mulched thickly and the pot wrapped/insulated. They die back but come up in the spring.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7711076

I grow mine in pots also. One of the easiest to overwinter. I just leave them in the pot and bring them in. Once I left some pink ones outside by the house over the winter. The clay pots broke down but they have come back up by themselves for several years now and have reseeded here and there. I don't know why they are hardy here. It still amazes me. They are covered by a Persian Ivy though. But the seedlings are unprotected and come back up also.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America