-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2010
11:55 PM

Post #7577703

I've added one plant to my wish list but don't know how I did it, and would like to add more. What does it mean by genus, species, and culiver.? Where can I find that information?
Example: Euchinacea "Raspberry Tart" I saw this plant on Terra Nova Nurseries website and I want to add that, but don't know what names to put in what space provided.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7577832

Echinacea is the genus and Raspberry Tart is the cultivar name (as you've listed it above, there is no species name). The genus name will be a Latin-ish sounding name and will always be capitalized. The species name is also Latin-ish sounding but starts with a small letter, and it'll show up right after the genus name. The cultivar name is English and if it's displayed correctly will be in single quotes 'Raspberry Tart' and will show up after the genus & species. Every plant you find will have a genus and either a species, a cultivar, or both. It is possible to have a species name but no cultivar, and many hybrids will have a cultivar name but no species. (also note that if you type in the names yourself, you don't need to put the single quotes around the cultivar name, the system will do that for you when it displays your plant)

The easiest thing to do though is go look up the plant in Plant Files, scroll to the bottom of that plant's entry, and you'll see a link to add it to your journal. If you do that, it'll take care of putting all the names in the proper fields so you don't have to think about it (and also the Plant Files entry specifies for you which is the genus, species, cultivar, etc). Here's the entry for your Echinacea--in this case they list it as Echinacea purpurea 'Raspberry Tart' (Echinacea is the genus, purpurea is the species, Raspberry Tart is the cultivar name) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159782/
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7578398

Hey, thanks for explaining that to me. I thought I knew a lot about flowers until I decided to try Wintersowing. Never tried growing from seeds before, except scattering marigold or columbine seeds.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7841971

Now if we could just get the Journal to put them in the correct order as the way they are listed in the Journal is wrong and useless as you can't copy them with out having to rearrange them. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
Quoting: Common name Cultivar Genus Species

The cultivar needs to come after species. Maybe IB will get back to making the Journal better, some day when they are done with the law suit. Please oh please. Patti

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8052660

If you want them listed alphabetically, just click on either Common Name, Cultivar or Genus in the purple header. For instance, in my Journal, I have several categories like daylilies, iris, roses etc. In those cases, I click on the word 'Cultivar' and it sorts them alphabetically. Then I have a Perennials category with all kinds of plants, I click on the word 'Genus' to sort them, that way it's totally useful to me. If I have too many of one type of plant, I'll just create a new category and move the existing entries into it.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8053312

That only works if you lump all your narcissus or iris etc together as you do. I want to list my plants by the source of purchase, narcissus bought from Brent and Becky or from Van Engelen or a mix from say Bluestone.. I do this to track orders and to monitor the success of particular vendors. I no longer order from some as it is clear that they are not as good as others.

But lumping them together would still not put the journal in the correct order of Genus, species, cultivar. I write articles for publication and it is a total waste of time to have to cut and paste constantly. It is even more annoying when writing about plants in the daily posts I make on DG to other members. I do this more than I should! If we had another space availabe to list vendor or anything else we wanted, I would be in heaven, as I could put all my genus together and print out a nice alphabetical list. But, sadly, it appears that they (IB), as Dave chose to do, will ignore the Journal and make no changes. Patti

The way it is listed now

Quoting: 229574 Variegated Abelia Silver Anniversary Abelia x grandiflora Jmaple bed Jan 24, 2009 2009 PLANTED
303485 Butterfly Bush Black Knight Buddleia davidii north yard Jun 3, 2010 2010 PLANTED
171344 Summersweet, Sweet Pepper Bush Hummingbird Clethra alnifolia north side bed Jan 25, 2008 2008 PLANTED

The way the listing would read if put in the correct order of Genus, species, cultivar.

Quoting: 229574 Variegated Abelia Abelia x grandiflora Silver Anniversary Jmaple bed Jan 24, 2009 2009 PLANTED
303485 Butterfly Bush Buddleia davidii Black Knight north yard Jun 3, 2010 2010 PLANTED
171344 Summersweet, Sweet Pepper Bush Clethra alnifolia Hummingbird north side bed Jan 25, 2008 2008 PLANTED

Here are my journal catagories
* NANTUCKET MASTER LIST
o ANNUALS
o BULBS
o CALADIUM
o CALLA LILY
o CANNA
o CLEMATIS
o DAFFODILS
o DAHLIA
o DAYLILY
o FERNS
o GLADIOLUS
o GREENHOUSE PLANTS
o HELLEBORES
o HERBS
o HIPPEASTRUM
o HOSTA (0)
o HYDRANGEA
o IRIS
o LILY
o PAEONIA
o PERENNIALS
o ROSE
o SEEDS
o SHRUBS
o TREES
o TREES JAPANESE MAPLES
o TULIP
o VEGETABLES

Then I break them down by vendor as seen here in my daffodil list.
[quote]
# DAFFODILS

* BLOOMING BULB (15)
* BLUESTONES (11)
* BRENT & BECKY (75)
o ON ORDER (11)
* BUGGY CRAZY (36)
* DAVID BURDICK (8)
* EFLOWERGARDEN (61)
ON ORDER (4)
* JOHN SCHEEPERS (24)
ON ORDER (3)
* MCCLURE AND ZIM (9)
* MISC. (3)
* OLD HOUSE GARDENS (14)
* VAN ENGELEN (33)
o ON ORDER (4)
* WHITE FLOWER FARM (6)
o ON ORDER (12)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8053476

Maybe Excel would work better for you, I keep mine pretty simple.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8054998

I do keep all my main genus lists on separate Excel spreadsheets. But there are things l love about the DG journal. Like it allows me to be able to search my journal which I seem to use every day. I like being able to download pictures into my journal. So, I like the way it works generally and I would hate to be without it. Being able to download from Plants Files is also a great feature. It is way better than any garden journal program that I have found, but it would be terrific with a few tweaks.

I spent years using very advanced inventory control and sales systems for the retail book industry, so I am aware what is possible to track items. Spoiled. My stores were always beta test sites for improvements. I also went to yearly user meeting to voice new wants and complaints. But that system was paid for by its users, so I know I can't expect much with DG's very modest yearly fee. But I can keep hoping. Patti

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America