Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Will you keep your milk jugs after WS ends?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 59, Views: 512
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #7578094

What will you do with all the milk jugs/soda bottles you have collected for WS purposes after all the plants are into the gardens? I won't have storage room so I'll have to discard them and start collecting them again in early Fall.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7578173

I will be using mine again for at least two more sets of seeds I had hoped to have gotten 300 jugs, but after counting and starting to prepare them, I only had 129, and I've got over 300 seeds to sow this year... so after the first round another cleaning and new seed soil...

After I do get done for the season the jugs will go to the recycle center and I'll start all over next year.

One thing that did help was having fellow garden club members saving jugs and giving to me. We only go through 2 gallon jugs every 2-3 weeks... so I would never have gotten enough.

Although, I'm thinking of stopping in the next few weeks at some of the coffee shops to see about getting theres, but then I'm a little worried about getting jugs that have old milk inside them... at least my club members washed their out before giving them to me... LOL

Janet
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7578465

I have limited space too. I could store them inside my milk crates in the garage but DH will put up a big fuss I'm sure, like he did when I wanted to bring the potting mix in the house because it was too cold in garage to do it. Guess what, I waited until he had KRS and wasn't around to say anything about it. I also bought down at HD, one of those bright orange Homer buckets and bring only so much potting mix inside at a time, not the entire bag of MG..Still have a few perennials that I'd like to sow but would like to wait a few more weeks to WS the hardy annuals or annuals. Thanks for sharing.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7578504

I don't do quite as many jugs as y'all. I find I would gladly sow tons of jugs but then be pulling my hair out when I had to do something with the plants. I try not to overwhelm myself and then later "hate" gardening so I limit my wintersowing. I mainly sow vegies and herbs and a few less common flower seeds.

I toss the jugs and start collecting more late summer, early fall. I use gallon milk jugs (we use one a week) and gallon vinegar jugs. I use vinegar for cleaning and in the laundry rinsewater. I actually prefer the vinegar jugs for wintersowing they are sturdy and close, tape easier. May try to save them for next year.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7579507

Is there a reason you add vinegar to your rinse water when you wash clothes? "Curiosity killed the cat!" Hard water?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7579935

It works better than anything I've found to cut any soap residue and soften clothing. No vinegar smell left either.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7580217

yep, I have heard that about vinegar in laundry, think I remember my grandmother doing that, and don't know why I never have, might have to give that a try, especially in my shower as I only use my handmade soap and there is a lot of soap scum as we have very hard water...

thanks for bringing up that tip.

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7580364

I love to rinse my hair in vinegar. Makes it shiny, squeaky clean but DH says it smells like a pickle. I can't see the downside as I like pickles... LOL
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7580382

I found a few old jugs from last year that I reused. We'll see how they work, then I'll get back to you on whether or not I'll save them from this year. We have curbside recycling, so most of mine went into the recycling bin last year.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #7580483

I've heard of it being used in laundry to cut the soap residue but not as a sotening agent. See, you're never too old to learn! I grew up in rural NC and the water was hard; we would use lemon juice in our rinse water when washing our hair to make it shine.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
2:02 AM

Post #7580507

The soap residue in laundry is what makes clothing scratchy. All it does to help soften laundry is rinse it clean. I really notice it when I hang clothes outdoors.

Lemon juice is a stronger version of the acid that is in the vinegar. I'm probably not saying that right but it is a more concentrated strength. Our water leaves lots of mineral deposits and I soak shower heads, faucets in lemon juice as it works so well. I've heard of using it on hair too. Lemon is a favorite ~ makes my mouth water.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
2:28 AM

Post #7580554

I use vinegar in my wash as the fabric softener, plus it helps gets clothes clean. I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets regularly. If it's really dry outside, I'll throw half a dryer sheet in the wash.
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7580616

I'll be recycling the gallon milk/water jugs as they're very plentiful and besides, I find them too large and a bit flimsy for my needs. Meanwhile I also use and plan to reuse some sturdier half-gal size juice jars which I accumulate (consume) at the rate of about 1 a week. By next ws season I should have about 60 or so. If i need more jugs, I'll supplement with the milk & water jugs.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 24, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7583287

When I was a teenager, my mother had to hid the vinegar because I loved it and if I could find it I would drink it. I live in Las Vegas and do not do a whole bunch of WS but I think I will try it next year. Great information. Thanks to DG and the people that stayed.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #7583344

Quoting: Thanks to DG and the people that stayed.
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. I have learned so much on DG and met many genuinely nice people. I would never have tried wintersowing or planting taters in leaves or tackled a lot of the different things I am doing. But I gotta say you were one tough teenager to drink vinegar. I will drink pickle juice but vinegar straight??? {{{shudder}}}
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 24, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7583362

Vinegar then, Vodka now. LOL
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7585361

I end up recycling my WS containers (usually around 50-70 ) rather than re-using them. Partly this is because I often have to cut them up to get the seedlings out--and partly because I have another "crop" of containers coming along so soon!
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 27, 2010
12:46 AM

Post #7590443

I will give mine back to the recycle center when I am done with them. To tell you truch the fun is in the collecting and then getting them ready for the WS. It gives me something to do to help with my spring fever.

My daughter will say to the kids if they are being fresh..." Do you want Vinegar?"
She would put her finger in it and then put in their mouths. They are ten now and they still will straighten up with the warning.

Amos

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7601038

Thanks for the recycle reminder! I'm getting recycle points so tossing em still benefits me!
I just gotta find a better way 2 get those lovely drainage holes that I have come 2 love!
And, since ice made friends with my local Starbucks, replacements are no problem.
L
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7602854

I kept mine last year, and used some to propagate cuttings. I also used them again this year for winter sowing. I'll keep them again.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7614156

I cut the tops off my jugs when the plants are done needing the protection and put the plants on a shelf till they get a more permanent place in the garden. So they are not reusable, besides they just take up too much space.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7614299

I've written on mine with a sharpie as to what goodies are in them. Odds are I won't plant all the same things next year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7618436

Since I'll be WSing seeds for my fall plantout starting in June, I've decided to recycle the jugs I already have prepped. Only issue is getting the old writing off. That Sharpie marker IS quite permanent. I'm thinking a Brillo pad oughta do it. Bleach didn't make a dent!
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7618746

an easy way to store your milk jugs for next year is to get a length of clothesline,
tie it on to a milk jug to be the base then thread the remainder on by the handle.. you can store a lot more in a smaller space if you hang them..

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 11:06 AM
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7619597

Linda, try rubbing alcohol.

Raven, brilliant idea!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7630645

I don't save them. I already have too much garden junk sitting around.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7630680

I think the hanging jug tree will be the way I go. Already have a small mountain sitting on top of my compost pile. Stringing the on a line out back I could actually lower them over the drop-off to the bayou and just hoist them back up in mid-June when I'll start WSing my seeds for the fall.

Geesh, these seasons sure do come around quickly! Already it's time to sow seeds for the fall!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7630689

My 2 cents worth... I just put a 1" high number on all my jugs and containers with a paint pen and then have a page in my garden notebook listing each number with what is planted and pertinent information. I plan to keep my containers..

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7630757

...didnt read the whole thread...

i pitch the use jugs, may reuse one or two for "summer sowing" for second yr blooming perennials... but not always.

Love Love Love vinegar in the wash, also for my hair but i use Apple cider Vinegar for that.
gets rid of all that yucky residue in my hair... did it last week and it was actually a lighter color!!
If i have a new swim suit, i also will rinse them to get rid of the chlorine.

oh, also baking soda in the wash... great for deodorizing.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7630816

My hair is lighter too... was it vinegar that made it grey? LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7630840

LOL.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7630882

I have the same problem as podster.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7630914

I've read... Lemon Juice for Blonds and Apple Cider Vinegar for brunettes.
My guess is that lemon lightens... I do recall using lemon juice when i sat in the sun as a teen -- i used to have blond hair.

I"ll drink vinegar, but not straight. Braggs -- he has a recipe for "cleansing" and stuff... where its diluted apple cider [with the mother] and a tad sweetener, i'll sometimes use agave - which is like a honey.

you really do get like a Vit B energy burst from the stuff. I really should do it more often.

**forgot to add... DH hates when i use the vinegar on my hair... says i stink. I dont like pickles so i would not find that appealing

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010 12:44 PM
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7749548

MsRobin..I've written down your tip/idea about numbering your milk jugs and hope I can find it when I go to start WS next year. Saves a lot of writing..I can only assume that you make up a mini-blind plant marker to place inside ?
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7751494

I use plastic utensils as markers inside my jugs. TSC1366, what's a bathing suit - I have a vague memory? (I have gray hair some too, lol.)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7756497

Thanks, Pippi. It was one of my brighter ideas. lol It saved me a tremendous amount of writing. I did add a numbered mini-blind plant marker after I cut the top half completely off, until I could get them planted outside.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

October 13, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8154793

Hey Pippi, I was wondering if a person could use gallon water jugs for seeds, and if so, how do you prepare these jugs for planting seeds? It only takes me two or three days to drink a gallon jug of water.

roseycats
zone 5

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8156118

roseycat...

any and pretty much all plastic containers can be used for WS. do your gal water jugs look like milk jugs?? if so, just slice them abotu 4-5 inches up, many of us cut above the bottom of the handle, -- cut all the way around with the exception of about 2 inches or so -- leaving that to act as a hinge.

pokes drainage holes in the bottom - fill with soil, dampen, add seeds, close the opening, stick out side.

HTH

Terese
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8156195

rosey cat first of all Hi form a former daytonian.. I grew up in the belmont area..I miss it! what part of Dayton do you live in?? or are you in one fo the surrounding areas?

to get started check out the sticky at the top of the wintersowing forum .. it will tell you everything you need to know from containers to soil to use, to labeling suggestions
have fun!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8157292

And, here's the link to yet ANOTHER seed starting system using PVC tubes. It's actually "Dah Bomb!" I think, because of its compactness and attractiveness, vs. the milk jugs and the Chia Pets. Although the Chia Pets do have their advantages in large scale plantings, I find this system appealing because:

1. I won't have space anymore to spread the milk jugs all over my (smaller) yard
2. My growing sunspot got seriously reduced in my (smaller) yard
3. I need to follow that sunspot in my (smaller) yard, and the PVC Tube tray would facilitate moving more seedlings in one fell swoop
4. I like the "neat-ness" of the PVC Tube tray vs. having milk jugs all over my (smaller) yard

Are ya'll catching my drift? Enjoy.

P.S. I've been cutting tubes as I watch TV with a handheld tube cutter. Here's a pic. It's quite easy, once you get the hang of it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067922/. Scroll down to the January 11, 2010, 02:19 PM post for the beginning of the tutorial on the PVC Tube Seed Starter Tray which includes step x step pictures. It is wonderful!

Linda ^:-)^

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roseycats
Dayton, OH

October 16, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8159189

Thanks everyone for your idea's they all sound really interesting.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #8180837

anyone ,Ok how much sun should our ws jugs get ?? I have a great spot to set out ws jugs but,it gets shady in the afternoon , Id bet that wont be enough sun they would end up leggy. Going to start saving jugs ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #8180888

Huggergirl, I've only WSed once and with great success. I did my spring veggies, and had the milkjugs sitting on top of our spa cover under some trees.

They got only bright, dappled sunlight most days but it seemed
Enough. I potted the seedlings deep into 16 oz red solo cups and put the cups in a tall, clear Sterilite tub for protection against the whipping winds.

By the time I was ready to plant out, they had fattened up tremendously though they had looked like they might end up leggy.

See my earlier posts above.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8180966

Tamara -- Mine are the reverse... afternoon sun. I do think there are some that keep their containers in the shade. With the sun, they will dry out faster once winter is over.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #8180977

I have a great little area that gets morning sun,on pavers right out the door,ill go head and try over there.Otherwise its up to the garden.Terese that is good to know afternoon sun will work too.Thanks ,you always give me hope.LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8180998

you will be amazed how easy this really is.

my first year i fretted over everything - constantly running around moving the containers... shade, then into the sun, then the covered front porch, then cover them when the germinated in Feb and we got a hard frost in April... it was crazy... now i stick then on the back patio and leave them.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8181724

That sounds like a plan !!! It will be fun too,cant Imagine no fussin .Ill remember that !!
roseycats
Dayton, OH

October 28, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8181757

I bought about 16 little plants about 1 or 2 months ago, animals would dig some of them up and a couple of them started to die out, so when I heard about people using milk jugs for some flowers seeds, I thought I would cut part of the top and bottom off my water jugs and left some of handles on which I put a stake down the handle into the ground which keeps the jugs in place O by the way I also cut some square holes in the jugs also. Well any way I put the jugs on my plants, and now they are doing really well. The animals are not digging them up anymore. I think I'll try leaving them out on the plants all winter. That is if they don't get ruined during the winter, or ruin the plants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8182912

Milk jugs do make excellent cloches!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8183303

I did something similar one year... we had a really nice spring, and I planted my tomatoes way earlier than i should have... usually mid-May is good because we have been known to have hard frosts until mid-May...

anyhoo -- it was so nice, and the Maters were getting pretty big... i planted them out the last week in April.
we had a few days of colder nights, and I used the top portion of the milk jugs as a sort of green house. it could 'breathe' out the little hole [milk spout] and was wide enough to protect the whole plant -- especially from the winds.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8184677

handy dandy things arent they =}
roseycats
Dayton, OH

October 30, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #8185385

that's a good idea. I'd say they are great for a lot of things
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #8186240

Id better start saving the jugs,I have great access to gal.water jugs.. and some other gallon size,Oh Goodie Iam looking forward all ready.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8186448

while the 'jugs with handles' [gal and half gal milk or water] are great due to the handles ... my other faves were qt size, like Deans H&H ... they are the perfect size if you want to HOS [hunk of seedlings] -- i would just dump out the seedlings in one piece and plant it. then i usually had a nice display in the summer. where the larger sized containers you usually need to divide them up - IE more work for me.

but one thing i LOVE about this time of the year... all the preparing for winter, somehow makes it feel like Spring gets here faster.
Or i just tell myself that. :-p
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #8186474

I agree ,and preparing for winter makes spring more fun.I like the Idea of Hunk planting ,you have me thinking how easy this will be..Ive got to start doing pansies and violas I love them and there are somany new ones..purple and orange i love
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8187050

i know those pansies--I think they're called "Joker." All violas/pansies WS so easily.
I agree; as I'm putting my garden to bed, pulling up my spent annuals and cutting back perennials, it's really nice to know that I'll have more come Spring/Summer.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8188028

I picked up 6 jugs yesterday,I will have plenty.And I have access to the heavier vinegar jugs too.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8188086

I use the vinegar ones too.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8188089

OIh hey Tamara... any idea if you wanted to participate in the big seed swap?? if not, i need to send you those HH's.
drop me an email if you want info.
tcs1366@hotmail.com
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8188130

Terese ,when is it ?? would you mind linking me.And yes I do want some HH seed .I d like to ck out the swap and info. Ive never swapped seed ,so I need the rules !!! and boy Iam not sure I have anything anyone wants !!! They will think Iam boring !!! But I do have some seed !!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America