Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: centipede-like bugs in my rubber plant

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marcetmc
ottawa
Canada

February 22, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7578813

Hi. I just found a bunch of centipede-like tiny crawlers in the soil of my ficus (the rubber, big leaves kind). They were hiding under a dead leaf. what to do??? Will it infect my other plants?

RachelLF

RachelLF

February 22, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7578837

They will not hurt your plant and as a matter of fact are good for your soil. I know though, the thought's of bug's crawling around in-door's is not such a good feeling though;-)

Rachel
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

February 22, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7578989

I'd rather see worms than millipedes, lol. Millipedes give off a weird mint-ish smell when you pick them up. They eat decaying material, but will turn to live material if necessary. Look them up to see if you have millipedes or centipedes. Centipedes hunt other insects, so I guess they would be a good thing. Either way, they do aerate the soil, lol. I found millipedes in plants I got clearanced last fall, and have been picking them out any time I see them. If your pots are really close, they might travel, but if you pick them out (use a plastic spoon and disposable cup if you're squeamish), the numbers will decrease. I throw them out hoping that birds will enjoy them, lol.

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7589978

Can you post a pic to let us know what they really are? Centipedes are carnivorous; they eat other bugs. Millipedes eat plant materials that are decaying.
Centipedes bite; millipedes do not. Also, as mentioned above, the millipedes will give off an odor when they are disturbed. Centipedes don't. Centipedes are also very fast; millipedes aren't. They curl up instead of running or trying to bite when they are disturbed.
Sounds to me like you have millipedes...they can be bad news for your plant's root systems.
You could try a hydrogen peroxide infusion, and that may help. (1 tablespoon Hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water.) This is like chicken soup; it may not help, but it can't hurt.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2010 3:37 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America