Photo by Melody

Shady Gardens: What to do about mostly shady, but afternoon sun...

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 7, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7579067

We are in the process of relocating, and I am stumped about an area of our new backyard. It is shaded for most of the day except for in the afternoon. Usually shade plants need only morning sun, so I can't decide what to plant here. The previous owners had the area over grown with English ivy with a couple of scraggly azaleas that seemed to be planted and forgotten about. The ivy sure did well, but I'd like some flowering plants there. I thought about nun orchids (orchids are my favorite), but I'm worried about the hot afternoons. Any suggestions?

I attached a picture. The area faces north and west.

Thumbnail by passiflora07
Click the image for an enlarged view.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7582797

You can try kurume azaleas and sasanqua camellias. Also nandina domestica will grow under those conditions and it comes in several sizes and colors. Daylilies will grow there too and so will mondo grass. Lady fern can take afternoon sun and so can hellebores although their leaves are prone to burn. Ligularia and farfugium are good choices too although ligularia like water. Ajuga will take afternoon sun and so will vinca minor.
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7583367

I think daylilies is a great idea! I might go with that..thanks :)
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7588394

Oh I forgot. Variegated Japanese Forest grass will work too. It makes a very nice border.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7588752

Sorry I'm no help here.Not in your zone.
Daddysbug
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7589923

I grow Plumbago and Dwarf Pomegranate in both sun and shade. Both bloom in either but more in the sun. I trim the plants in the shade more often to keep them bushy.

Another bit of advice that has served me well when moving is to drive around the area and see what is doing well in other peoples' gardens. No matter how much you like a plant, if you don't see it around anywhere, chances are that it won't do well. I have spent many years and money learning this the hard way.

My favorite book for deciding what to put where or if it will work is 'The Southern Gardener's Book of Lists' by Lois Trigg Chaplin - bought on Amazon.com.

Happy digging!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7589958

Great idea about driving around. Probably local garden clubs could be helpful as well.
Daddysbug
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7590088

You are right - garden clubs are a great source. I also remembered that Myers Foxtail Fern will suit your requirements and should especially well in your zone.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America