Photo by Melody

Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b): Or for Northwestern Gardens

Communities > Forums > Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)Replies: 3, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dubhloaich
Scappoose, OR

February 23, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7580346

I went down to the Gulf Coast to visit friends and took the opportunity to complete my apprenticeship for becoming an American Camellia Society judge at the Metarie, LA and Mobile, AL shows last year.

One gentleman asked where I was from. For simplicity's sake, I said "Portland, Oregon". Thinking I meant where I grew up, he responded, "no, where are you from NOW". I reitereated "Oregon", to which he replied "and you grow Camellias outdoors? I then explained the moderating influence of the Pacific Ocean. He did not walk away convinced I was telling the truth.

But, it's true. We grow some darned nice ones here.

Denis, Pres. of the Oregon Camellia Society.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 23, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7581429

dubhloaich: I know you will enjoy being a judge for the Camellia Society. Recently I was invited by the local library to go through some donated books that they needed to get rid of. One collection was from a local woman who had been an American Camellia Society Judge and breeder -- a Mrs. Bradford Johnson.
I took all of the American Comellia Society annuals she had -- mostly 60s and 70s. A real find for me!

I went to school at UCSB Santa Barbara and I am quite familiar with the Northern California coast so I know the moderating influence of the Japan current -- weather made in heaven! Especially for camellias.
The moderating influences goes all the way up into Vancouver doesn't it?

Are there any public camellia gardens where you are?
cony
Windsor,Ontario
Canada

February 26, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7588162

I live in Windsor< Ontario Camada that meens 6 zone,on Hardines you thank only potting camelias in this zone? by the way interesting life of yours I love animal my self and antiques, but I'm supeticios to live in old house like that
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 26, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7589052

cony: There are hybridizers working on cold hardy camellias now and there is a garden at Washington D.C. where some of the cold hardy varieties are grown. But mainly they are for warmer climates -- I think to have them in Ontario you would have to have them in pots with good light or in a greenhouse.

My brother lives in Ottowa and I was so surprised when I visited there at the stunted growth of the trees.
The maples on the streets were only 25 - 30 ft -- the size of our dogwoods here in Alabama. My brother said these maples are full grown mature trees. So I don't think most camellias would do well in Ontario.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Albert and the Camellias Sharran 6 Feb 12, 2008 11:50 PM
The real Albert gloria125 2 Feb 12, 2008 11:41 PM
Camellia japonica bobwhite1 1 Feb 12, 2008 5:57 PM
close up bobwhite1 5 Feb 12, 2008 11:55 PM
Three camellias from the same shrub. gloria125 5 Feb 10, 2009 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America