Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: 5 gallon grow bags, Has anyone used grow bags?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 214
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bkeith0
goodview, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7581385

I asked this question on another forum but, didn't get many reply s. Has anyone used grow bags? I bought some off ebay and I am thinking they will work well for peppers. If anyone has used them what did you use them for and how well did they do?
Thanks in advance.
God bless, Keith
krowten
Greensburg, PA

February 23, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7582593

Keith, I bought an assortment of grow bags from the coop about two years ago. I bought sizes up to 10 gallons. I have found that the small ones, 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon are good for up-potting my propagation efforts and have not noticed any difference in plant health or growth. There are a few of things to watch out for.

1) Bag tops can fall over reducing amount of rain and water entering the bag if the soil is not completely to the top of the bag. I solved this problem by folding over the top of the bag (to the outside)

2) Larger bag sizes did not work well for me. I had difficulty using the 10 gallon size and moving is very difficult - tend to tear the bags. I regret buying the larger sizes and regret not buying more of the smaller sizes.

3) Filling bags was a little awkward until I started setting them in a pot to fill and handle. You don't need to keep them in the pot after filling.

4) Bags are more likely to fall over if not on a level surface but this is not really much of a problem as bag bottom will conform better to the surface it is on. Also, the bags I have worked with are apparently slightly more squat in shape than the standard nursery pots of equivalent size.

In general, the bags are a little awkward to work with compared to a rigid pot, but not too bad. Growth environment is, as far as I can tell, about equivalent to a nursery pot. So far, I have not seen any deterioration of the bags in use, but it has only been about two years maximum, if I remember correctly.

Lastly, I am planning to try root control bags one of these days. They are much more expensive than grow bags, but apparently are useful for growing small trees and other larger plants. The limitations I've mentioned above do not necessarily apply to them as I have not worked with them.

Hope this helps.
Villiers
Chadds Ford, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7582895

Krowten, have you tried growing potatoes in the larger bags? It would seem easier to add soil every so often and not to have to dig them out at the end of the season.
krowten
Greensburg, PA

February 24, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7583181

Never had much luck with or interest in potatoes, so haven't tried them in grow bags. We don't use potatoes a lot so don't spend much effort trying to grow them.
Villiers
Chadds Ford, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7586418

I grew them once and had some luck with them. I usually let the vegetable growing to the experts, but european fingerling potatoes are hard to find and expensive.
How long do you think these bags could last? I might try to find some.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7608087

Last year I tried several grow bags filled with coconut coir for tomatoes. Despite it being a poor tomato season, they did ok, just not spectacularly. Note: since the bag opening sits about a foot above the ground, you will need a support that is that much higher than usual.
tobydog60
Omro, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7705376

I'm going to try potatoes in large growbags this year. The amount of room in our yard for veggies is not large enough to warrant planting potatoes in the ground and I didn't want to go the "garbage can" route.

We got Carola potatoes from Wood Prairie Nursery and some Pontiac Red's from the garden center.

I'm anxious to see how they do in the bags - some folks I've talked to said they had good luck planting spuds in containers - including burlap bags (don't know how they kept those from rotting away before the season was over).

I purchased the white 15-gallon grow bags with handles from Peaceful Valley. And I understand about 3 seed potatoes or cuts can go in one bag.

I'm also trying strawbale gardening this year, so maybe if there are a few potatoes left over I'll plant them in a straw bale as an experiment on how each method performs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America