Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?: sobakawa pillows

Communities > Forums > Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?Replies: 19, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 23, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7581459

I could not get to sleep without my buckwheat pillows. They make a crunch sound and effectively blockout the 24 hour stereo coming from next door. They are so comfortable and you can scrunch them up to fit a sore neck. I usually sleep between 2 on top of my regular pillow to block the neighborhood noise out so I can get to sleep. I had not thought of putting them in the microwave. One is a travel size pillow and would probably would work with the microwave treatment.

You can also spritz them with lavender for 'aroma therapy' to induce sleep.

Here is a video from HSN where they are sometimes available. You can also make them yourself if you can get the buckwheat hulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-EM0UwnkfA
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7581605

Hi Gloria...
I hadn't thought about the sound blocking effect. That's good information to have.

I've used mine every day since June sent them to me, with the exception of our 2 days of 60 degrees last week. Seems like snow might be around tomorrow so I expect I'll get them out again.

Good to hear from you, and thanks also for the link.

Oh, the difference, too...June made these from buckwheat seeds.

Thanks!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 23, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7581807

I noticed in the video they emphasized how they didn't catch fire and how cool the buckwheat stays after being fired. I wonder if its only the buckwheat seeds that stay warm -- not the hulls.

I mainly use mine because of the superior comfort and the sound blocking effect -- just a slight movement of your head will produce the sound that will block out the base of a stereo down the street! I haven't tried to microwave mine yet -- but Im beginning to suspect on the basis of your article that you need the seeds to make a warming pillow.

Ive heard of using raw rice in the microwave also dumped into a sock to make a warming pad.
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7582250

Thanks Sharan, another good one. I used to see them for sale about 20 years ago but not much anymore. Seems like we used to have one but I can't remember some of my past any more. :) I have tried to find the hulls but ended up making a batch of rice pillows last Christmas for gifts. They are great for wrapping around tight shoulders.
zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7582493

Sharon don't you love those tubes? A friend gave mom and I each one filled with rice and I wouldn't be without it. It was really nice on the aches and pains after that fall I took the day after New Years. Mine is long enough that I could get it on the aching elbow and aching shoulder at the same time!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7582763

It's good to know we can find natural remedies for what we need. If the rice works for you, that's wonderful.

I think that Gloria is right, the hulls don't warm, but the seeds hold the warmth for a long time. They also don't burn or brown like rice might do. But whatever works, works, and by all means use it.

Trisha, interesting that your 'sock' was long enough to work on shoulder and elbow. I'm glad I have two, I suspect I'd be using both after a fall, and maybe wishing for more.

And I like the idea of the crunchy sound in my ear, Gloria, the seeds don't seem to do that, but I'll bet the hull pillow is very nice to sleep on.

Thanks for sharing all your great information, ladies, maybe it'll be helpful to others. Such a simple thing, yet so important when one is cold, or needs a sound barrier.

You all stay warm now, and let's hope spring is soon on its way.

Thanks for your comments..your info. Good to know!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 24, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7583165

I think spring might be coming afterall. The forsythias have already bloomed here and I saw quite a few daffodils blooming today.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7583203

Ouch...lucky you!
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7596621

I sure appreciate all this info, and about the "deer corn", too,
whatever that is.

Fitsy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7596624

Hi Fitsy...I'm not sure about the deer corn either!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 1, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7596740

dried corn
flagday
Republic, OH

March 1, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7597629

I tried the buckwheat pillow but didn't like the noise. Guess I will have to heat it in the microwave and use it that way. I have 3 of the rice filled tubes. Two have rope circles at each end and are good to pull around the neck or shoulder. We keep our bedroom door closed during the day and do not have much heat in it, so sometimes depending which way the wind is from, it gets pretty cold! I heat all 3 of the tubes and put one at the foot of the bed and lay the other two up by the pillows. When I crawl in bed, it is nice and toasty!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7597990

Gloria, thanks...I thought so but was afraid it might be a specific kind of corn. We didn't have deer in the mountains...so I hardly know a thing (beyond Bambi) about them!

Flagday,
Good to hear from you. I don't think the buckwheat seeds make noise, so it must be the hulls that you've tried. Glad you have a way to warm up your bed...I sure can't sleep when I'm cold!

Thanks!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 2, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7598483

No deer in the mountains. I didn't know that! What is there in the way of larger animals?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #7598521

I don't remember a larger animal, Gloria. I really don't. There was always the rumors of bears, but I think they were just rumors.

There were opossums, raccoons, groundhogs, lots of dogs, skunks..squirrels...but I can't remember a single large animal.

That isn't to say there weren't any, because they could have lived there in peaceful harmony in all the wildnerness, all the trees and brambles, and never have been seen.

I climbed those mountains without a fear, and simply ate berries along the way, so I know there was food there for them too. But I never encountered anything any bigger than a dog.

I hadn't even thought of it till you mentioned deer corn. Men hunted, but it was always some sort of bird, turkey, or squirrel or rabbit. I never saw deer up close till I moved to WKY.

Maybe they were there and I just never saw them. I do remember there being a mountain lion scare occasionally, but never encountered one.

There were a lot of skunks that I did encounter, though.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 2, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7598641

we have both deer and bear in our woods back home in Michigan. And there are lots of tales about bears running off with children when families went out berry picking. Im sure if you had them, you would have heard about them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7598670

Only one...
The bear that my friends told me about. They said they'd chased the bear across the mountain from Virginia, and it was well on its way to my house. I believed them, but never ever did I see that bear.

I don't know about bear, but I think it might have been difficult for the deer to climb those mountains.

Deer are all over my area now, though. Flatlands.
Jay01
Fort Lauderdale, FL

December 21, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8271380

Hey Gloria,
Thanks for the tips about the Buckwheat Pillows. Did you know that Japanese buckwheat is now one of the most common filling being used in the Sobakawa Pillow, and this Pillow is one of the best known treatment for back and neck pain as it helps to align your spine?

As a kid I fell from a swing back in the Islands and misaligned my spine. With such limited resources my parents simply treated the gash in the back of my head with home remedies after successfully getting the bleeding to stop with the application of ice. I did not even know the full effects of that fall or even that I had suffered serious injuries until much later in life when I started having severe back aches and had to be treated by a chiropractor.

To make a long story short I will submit that the best and most sustained relief I have had is since I tried the Sobakawa Pillow. So if you are having trouble with back and neck pain please feel free to check out the following article: http://sobakawapillows.net/sobakawa-pillows.html
farmlife
Willis, MI

March 12, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9039673

Fitsy wrote:I sure appreciate all this info, and about the "deer corn", too,
whatever that is.

Fitsy
If you buy it on the cob to bait deer with, it can be called deer corn, but it's simply Dent Corn or Field Corn which is the familiar, rock hard stuff that you know as livestock feed or corn meal for people. And, by the way, it differs from sweet corn in that its milk stage is short lived and not very tasty (and you don't want to grow your sweet corn anywhere near it) before it goes on to dry out, at which point the rounded crown of each kernel shrivels and sinks down, hence the name Dent Corn.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012 2:44 PM
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 13, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9040769

Jay01. You link goes to a Sobakawa pillow filled with "air beads" not buckwheat. I noticed as the store, only these air bead pillows were being sold instead of the buckwheat pillows.

I still have my buckwheat pillows that had gotten a little moldy smelling here in the hot, humid South. I ran them through the drier, and put them inside quilted pillow covers. Im hoping I can get them back in use. I don't want to use "air beads".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cold feet Liquidambar2 7 Feb 25, 2010 2:53 AM
Rice and dried deer corn work well too darkmoondreamer 12 Dec 9, 2011 10:16 AM
Buckwheat, A Miracle seed 3pmp 1 Mar 1, 2010 11:59 PM
Friends everywhere Lancemg 1 Mar 2, 2010 12:08 AM
Buckwheat cozies Jeanniegardener 1 Mar 2, 2010 2:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America