Photo by Melody

Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?: Rice and dried deer corn work well too

Communities > Forums > Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds?Replies: 12, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7581473

I've been making these for years using uncooked, regular rice or dried deer corn. They work very well too if buckwheat seeds are not available to you
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7581576

Good information to know, Karen.

Thanks for sharing it with us and for writing.

I hope you aren't getting the snow that I'm hearing about down your way.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7582169

My mom taught me to make these with white rice and I have several at home and work. Before I had an electric blanket I would heat one up and put it in the foot of the bed just before bedtime. In the summer they can be stored in the freezer and used to cool off, though it's not as effective as using them as hot packs.

My MIL has an elderly cat that hates the cold so last winter I made her a fleece cat bed with a removable rice pad. My MIL heats it up for her a couple of times a day and the cat waits for it to be heated and placed in her favorite spot. If my MIL is slow with getting it ready she demands it at the top of her lungs. The cat's name is Lily so the bed is called the Lily Pad.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7582773

What a fun story about the cat, Katlian...I might try that for mine!

Thanks for the cute idea, and also thanks for reading the article. It's great to hear from you!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 25, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7585729

Do you think if I do that for my cat, It will stop running to the door every time we go to the garage for fire wood, and works at pushing on the door (hoping we did not close it well enough - which we usually don't) - then gets inside and runs had hides only so later it can come out and jump up on my new couch and sharpen it's claws on it?? If I do this will it stop???? Please there must be something to make it stop?????

I will try it, anything to make it stop!!!!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7585737

The only thing I know that stops a cat with busy paws is double sided tape. They hate anything sticky. My boss tried this with her kittens and it stopped them from knocking plants off her table and shelves.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 25, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7585769

Double sided tape on the flour in front of the door? Thanks! I will try it. It is driving me crazy, but I would not hurt it because it is cute - well obnoxious - but cute. My 23 year old son loves it more than anything.
lindabeck
Airdrie
Canada

March 1, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7597734

Very true. My son's cat was bent on destroying the fabric on his expensive newly bought speakers. He put the tape on the fabric and voila!! That ended that habit in a hurry!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7597995

Great idea, Linda...thanks again.
dordee
Silex, MO

March 12, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7624991

get the ct some scratching posts or try one of those gadgets they advertise on tv. i got some and then sprinkled some catnip on them and my crew of 8 loves them. only problem, they re light weight and they drag them around the house. so far i haven't needed to do the tape thing.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 13, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7625633

Thanks for this too.

Trouble is she (the cat) seems to really like my new couch and the scratch post too. She is a mulitdeminsiousal - she can claw the scratch post, and my couch too. My couch is in my very fancy room, and she loves to get up on the back of it and watch out the window as she is sharpening her claws. She has been put outside - not even in the garage now because she has been a very bad, bad!

She comes to the back door, puts her nose on the glass and stares in all day long or untill my son can not stand it any longer (she has him wrapped around her whiskers) and lets her in. She just got in right now.

dordee
Silex, MO

December 8, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8922161

Sorry for laughing, but Liquidambar2 seems to have one of my cats. It is not funny, but is funny at the same time. They know how to push our buttons and delight in doing it. Harley even smiles at me with his I did it again smiles. He also loves to take a running leap and land on my back and climb up to my shoulders. That was okay at 3 months but now he is 8 lbs and it smarts.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 9, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8922679

Thanks Dordee for the advice on the water spray bottle to help train our cat. IF you every hurt a cat it gets kind of scared of you and makes it really meaner - runs off, disappearing and hard to find- somewhere in my house. With the spray bottle it might not scare the cat, and it just might actually learn not to do bad things-- like lay on my couch and use it as a scratch post..

This was written last year.

The cat now has trained us very well. She has the garage to eat and pee in, the basement for a warm nap, the near-by hay shed to play in, but so far she stays out of the living room and off my my couch. I have not found her in there for at least a year. But if I do - water bottle spray time!

What all of us are now are just her "doormen" I am thinking about getting us some fancy uniforms so she will feel more ---no she already feels superior.

The dog can't understand it - The dog knows "the dog" has a purpose around here - keep the geese off the back porch, gather up the geese and put them up at night, bother the cows - when ever we look at them (which is really as frustrating as the cat on my couch, but it is dangerous work) , The dog even rounds the cattle up in a bunch at least once a week just because she thinks it is her job. But the dog is pretty sure that the she- cat does not have a not job and yet the she cats gets to go in the house anytime she wants.

This leaves our she- dog standing at the door with the dog's nose stuck to the glass watching the cat and yipping jeaslously. The cat once inside the door as we doormen wait patiently for the cat to decide to go to the basement or the garage always gives the door a couple of rubs. Yes, that is right the cat rubs across the glass door a couple of times. Now I know that she don't love that dog enough to try to rub againest the dog or the glass that separated her from the dog!!!! .

So I wonder why she is rubbing the door and making the dog just plain hurt feelings?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Warm and Cozy Buckwheat Seeds? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cold feet Liquidambar2 7 Feb 25, 2010 2:53 AM
sobakawa pillows gloria125 19 Mar 13, 2012 6:22 AM
Buckwheat, A Miracle seed 3pmp 1 Mar 1, 2010 11:59 PM
Friends everywhere Lancemg 1 Mar 2, 2010 12:08 AM
Buckwheat cozies Jeanniegardener 1 Mar 2, 2010 2:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America