Photo by Melody

Gladiolus : GLADIOLUS FOR 2010 - Whatcha doing?

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 202, Views: 1,145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7585954

Well, its actually too early for me to be thinking about planting glads, but I was shopping today and ran across these prettys and could not resist getting them!

Im starting my glad collection out with lavender and white Comets!

So whatcha doing?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7585978

We will be planting our 12000 or so corms.
Also plan on about 6 new colors. Those I order 500 of each. Glads are so fun!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7586001

I am sooooo jealous! I take it you sell the flowers?

I would love to do a ton of them but Iam not sooo very sure they would like my garden.. to wet to start then to dang dry. I pot them! I cannot imagine doing 1500 nursery cans, but then on the other hand.. dont tempt me...

Wayward home here for spare glads! LOL!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7586020

At the market.

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7586082

Planted glads last spring.
Usually I get them to return and flower again,if it doesn't get to cold over the winter time.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7586438

Thats why I plant them in cans.. easier to lift in the fall!

There is nothing prettier than a field of glads though!

We have some growers near me that do a tremendous planting!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7586977

Planted some about 6 weeks ago and they're coming along pretty good. First tried them back in 2007 in late spring and it obviously was the wrong time of the year for down here. The stems just fried in our summer heat. Hopefully this time of year will produce better results.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7586991

Well, I think Im gonna order some more... Get some of the el cheapo bulbs from some mailorder stock. As much as I would like to have some name brands, I think I just want color for now.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7586999

Sounds like a good plan. I just went with the blue and purple varieties I found this fall at Lowes. The bags of 12 were $2.99 each.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7587019

Farmers Seed - 40/$2.99
Interstate Nursert - 40/$2.96
Guerneys - 50/$9.95

Got any other places??

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7587299

I believe all those companies are owned by the same people.
I might have some to share after I buy my new ones.
I am getting them from the wholesale part of
http://www.nowetagardens.com/cat3a.html

Old age is creeping in. I said six in an earlier post. I think it should be 10 because I am going to get each of the new varieties. No white or Puebla.

I'll do Classified Ad if I decide to do this.

Bernie
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7587628

Well, if you do have some d-mail me ok! Maybe we can do postage or something for them. Im not fussy, just would like a good quanity.

Question, on the baby baby corms, how long does it take for those to bloom? DO they do it in one season or do you have to plant them again and wait? I had a ton of baby babys and never did anything with them because I figured they would be a waste of my time at the time, but now I am wondering if I did not make a mistake in not planting them...what do you feel for my zone?

Yes, those mailorder places I beleive are also realated. I have ordered in the past and they were ok, nothing to brag about, but they did bloom the year I got them.. so I guess for the money, they did ok.

I have not checked wholesale..

I was a bad woman today, stopped at WW again and this time they had Wigs Sensation in red.. got one bag of 20.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7587837

Bad girl...but in a very good way. Did the same myself. Had to go into town today and stopped by one of the nurseries on way back home. BIG mistake. Had all kinds of new unique flowering plants that I hadn't seen in the past three years of gardening. Showed some restraint, but not enough.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7587850

Alright, what ya get? You cannot hide it...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7587879

They had a ton of new gladiola bulbs. Really wanted to get the bag of green envy ones, but decided not to. Ended up getting 3 red/white dinnerplate dahlia tubers, 3 "Summer Series" Dwarf Delphinium plants (powder blue, midnight blue and pure white) in gallon containers and these 2 "Premier Series" Alstroemeria in gallon containers.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7588069

Well green was good... shame on you! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7588091

I know Blossom. Should have gotten the green ones since I never see that color available as a cut flower glad down here. The price was kind of "so so" ($9.99 for 25 bulbs). Glads are available, as cut flowers, 12 months of the year here. They're never more than $3.99/dozen, but its always the same colors (white, yellow, red, pink). That's why I planted the blues and purples in early January. I just know I'm gonna "give in" and drive back over there. Dumb me.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7588157

$9.99 is steep for 25 , but see ya when you get back! LOL!

I was growping at $5.35 but they said GET ME!

Im gonna have to tour the nurseries again soon... Maybe in a few weeks. I did find my salvias seed too today! And some Zinnias.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7588184

You're right on both counts Blossom. It was $9.99 for the 25 glads or $9.99 for 3 "Holland Festival" Dahlia tubers,so I chose the Dahlias. Should have bought more than 2 Alstroemeria (Inca Lily) plants also. I bought one online 3 years ago. It's bloomed every spring/summer so I already know they do well here.

Good to hear you found some good seeds today. Do most places already have their full supply of seed available or are they still in the process? I try to hit the nurseries every few weeks on a Thursday or Friday, before things get picked over on the weekends. Won't it still be another couple of months before plants become available. I would assume it would be May, correct?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7588437

Its an on going process for now.. you would be surpized at how empty newly stocked shelves have gotten already! Its a crazew I tell ya! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7588582

Wow. The early bird gets the seed! You gotta shop before the weekend here if you want the interesting plants. The unique ones disappear real fast. The seeds will probably be going on sale here soon. It's near the end of the growing season for many plants.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7588808

Well scarf up what you can when they are cheap!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7588880

You betcha. I'd just use them in the fall for next winters "flower power".
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7589299

Oh well. I couldn't resist for very long (less than 24 hours LOL). Ended up getting two boxes of gladiola bulbs. One is "Green With Envy" and the other is named "Grand Prix".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7589544

Boy, they are getting higher priced all the time.
I pay 7¢ per bulb.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7589658

LOL. I just paid 40 cents/bulb. Only other option would have been to mail order them and then pay for shipping. Now I gotta find a place to plant them where they can be left alone, since they can stay in the ground here.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7591032

Plant them deep. 8 or 10 inches. Then they won't tip over.
You should still dig them up & replant every few years. If they get to crowed, they might get small.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7591084

Thanks for the information. I did plant some gladiolas and watsonia bulbs back at the beginning of January. Planted them very deep and they are well above the ground and very upright.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7600045

Just planted my 1st Galds. They are called 'Firecracker'.
Cannot wait to see how they do :o)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7600434

7c a bulb? WHERE?!?!?!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7604674

Got the same bulbs as Amorecuore. Got it from Lowe's. At 42 cents a bulbs it's not bad considering they're a jumbo size at 16+cm.
I got Green Envy too and Phantom.

Thumbnail by Tex68

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7604780

OK, that cuts it, I want green envy! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7604797

Bingo. Yep, those are the Lowes gladiola bulbs. Finished getting all 50 of my green ones and orange ones planted this evening.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7604882

Not sure where I wil get mine yet... will have to go scout!

Green and orange? LOL!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7604898

Well lucky you. I still have about a month and a half till I can plant my bulbs here in Jersey. Got them now before they sell out of them.
I wish we have Florida weather too. Last time I was there went to Key West. On the way back I hand carried a banana plant with me inside that small Gulf Stream plane, to the bigger Continental jet. They lost my luggage (they found and delivered it later) but a least I got a banana plant. LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7604961

Yep, green and orange. LOL There's no rules for mixing colors. Already have blue and purple ones about 2 feet high in the ground. Can't be too far away from blooming.

That's a great banana story Tex. The banana plants took a real beating from our freezing temps in January. Most of them probably will bounce back, but they look horrible right now. Saw the cutest little banana tree plants at a nursery the other day. First time I've seen little baby sized ones in gallon containers. I should have got one.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7604996

Well, if I get the green, ima gonna haveta go with yeller.. too bad that Green Envy is not JD Green! Then it would match the Zambonie! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7605135

LOL. The lime green isn't gonna match John Deere. Actually, if you asked me what color I think would look the best with Gladiola "Green With Envy", I would go with a pink colored glad. In my front there's an area where lime green and pink echinacea are planted together. They look great together when they're both in bloom. Close your eyes and imagine pink and lime green in a vase.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7605250

Ooooohm!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7605317

Exactly. Even you're idea of lime green and yeller could be enhanced with some pink in the mix.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7605342

Here you go, who worries about colors matching.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7605361

Those are beautiful and I know what you mean. I'd rather have a kaleidoscope of colors any day. I'm just growing the colors I can't typically find as cut glads at the supermarkets in South Florida.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7605484

"Here you go, who worries about colors matching."

...Florists will. Especially in certain types of arrangements!

But those are gorgeous!

Nice market containers there too! Whats your source on those?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7605679

Containers look like 'improvised' storage plastic containers with round cut-outs on the lids and cut-up pvc pipes inserted. Hope I'm right.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7605842

Hey, now why dint I think on that! Waaaay ta go TEX!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7605849

PVC pipes inside of the 5 gallon buckets as well.
That was a 2008 picture. We bought new 5 gallon buckets last year from Uline.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7605883

That's true Blossom. Florists do watch the color combinations, but when you're just picking, from your yard, for yourself who cares. If you like it, thats all that matters, right?

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7605892

Thar he goes again with that dang pool... I got FROST here Jon... yano, ICE on the water! LOL!

Yep, 5 gal buckets.. we can get those at the local hardware, same on the pipe and hey, a board at the lumber yard.. Ooooh now thats cool!

On my indoor plant stands I have tubes for my silk flowers for when I am crafting. They will hold water! hehehe! So could use them for a display!

Going to the nursery today ... do not follow me, I am lost!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7605931

Not quite a frost here this morning, but it was a new record low of 40 degrees. Yes, that is a clever way to display those gladiolas and keep them all neat and separated.

Hope you find some interesting things at the nursery Blossom. Ya never know what may be hidden in those places.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7605962

40 degrees! Wow! Not exactly pool weather. Were currently going to have a 'heat wave' here in Jersey. Upper 40's today, 48 degrees tomorrow, and 52 degrees Sunday. I got lily bulbs waiting to be planted so I'll do some this weekend. I'll wait till spring to plant the Gladiolus bulbs though.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7606000

Clever way of you shoing us them thar flares Jon! LOL!

Geeesh, how dare you NJ for having warmer weather than us! LOL!

Well, is off ta the nursery for me!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7606464

Yes, 40's at night and high's in the mid 60's. A good 15 degrees below normal, and very unusual for March. Yes, no rush to get things planted up North yet. The month of March can be very unpredictable. Definitely still too cold for the gladiola bulbs. I'll bet you were surprised to see them out at Lowes already. Did they also have the boxes of Dinnerplate Dahlias and Calla Lily bulbs, from the same company, at Lowes in NJ???

Jon
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7606511

Jon,
Both our local Lowe's and 2 Home Depot in the area are all flooded with spring/summer bulbs. You name it, they got it all. Daylilies, lilies, cannas, callas, gladiolus, peonies, and all kind of goodies. Actually they had them since early February. Patio/outside furniture, pagodas and such were on full display. They were really pushing it. Didn't buy gladiolus before because I already ordered some varieties online. But those jumbo gladiolus bulbs were late addition at Lowe's and I just couldn't resist.

Didn't get any dahlias. I got plenty coming from Swan Island and Corralito's Garden, some new introduction for this year and last year. So really looking forward to a full color spectrum in my garden this summer. Corralito's Garden ships live dahlia plants as compare to tubers.

Calla lilies, I'm getting newer varieties (and bigger bulbs) from Ella (Starlight here @ DG). She's doing a group buy on the "OTHER" site, and not here at DG. I don't know if you got an invite or at least aware of that site.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7606555

Wow. I guess they are pushing the bulbs up there. I couldn't resist the gladiolas either. Like the bulbs and the packaging. Seems like the bulb variety is better up there. We don't ever see peony and daylily bulbs available. The only daylilies I have were bought online. Peonies are just not gonna work down here.

Yes, I'm aware of the "other" site. I'll have to look and see if calla bulbs are still available on the group buy. They sell plenty of calla lily plants down here, but I don't recall ever seeing just the bulbs for sale.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7606586

That's why we have the honor of being the "Garden State" (He-he)!

I can't believe daylilies are not readily available over there. They're like the easiest plants to grow especially with the weather down there. The calla bulbs are packaged the same way as with the gladioulus and the dahlias. So don't know. Maybe you have to look around.

Ella just started the group buy on the callas a couple days ago. So yes, it's still open. I will d-mail you the link.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7606686

LOL. I should have said its the first time I've seen calla lily bulbs down here. I did buy a couple of boxes. Maybe daylilies traditionally don't do well in South Florida because there is no winter dormancy. I think I have had 5 of them for 3 years now. They are all rebloomers, stay evergreen and do fine in hald day sun.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7606887

Yeah, evergreen daylilies do well in the south. No peonies for you though!

Looks like Ella just started the same Calla Lily Group Buy in the Classified Ads here in DG.

Hey, you guys have roostersi in Fort Lauderdale???!!! I miss those little devils at the Keys! You go to bed like 1, 2, 3 in the morning and they wake you up at 4 or 5! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7607138

LOL. Yeah, there's lots of roosters in Key West. They just roam the streets. There are no longer any in my neighborhood. There was a house on the street in front of me that had chickens, roosters, and peacocks and you could hear those roosters early in the morning. You had to look out for them when driving. She must have sold all her animals in the past year. This part of Ft Lauderdale is called Plantation Acres and quite a few people have horses. You'll see people riding them on the side of the street quite often. There is also a stray goat that lives in a vacant lot up the road. He directs the traffic, at the stop sign, during the day and disappears into the woods at night.

Nope, no peonies for us. I do notice they sell lots of our tropicals up North in the summer as annuals. Some of the popular ones seem to be hibiscus, canna lilies, mandevilla and caladiums.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7607254

Im surprized the gators have not devoured all those strays! Send one of those roosters up here for my girls.. im short a leghorn and a buff roo!

Well, my calla from last year has been coming up... its kinda spindly, I had to move it for better light. I used the Super Thrive on it, but I am afraid thats the wrong stuff to do.

Got these today...

I will not tell you how many DL's I have. I dont know myself anymore! LOL! They are my gardens staple.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7607944

Those look nice Blossom. Where's the lime green ones??? They didn't have them?

Anyone know the name of the big calla lilies? I have a white one that about 24 inches tall and the calla lilies are large and form on 12-18 inch stems. I bought it at Lowes, awhile back, but it was just labelled "calla lily".

LOL. Those roosters flew the coup. None of the animals are around that house anymore. Jaws didn't get them because I didn't see him coughing up any feathers.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7608343

I wanted more packs of solit colors, but they dint have anymore other than the reds and comets I already had so my last two choices at that place were pastel colors of moixed florist cutters so I got the florist cutters mixed bag.

Maybe the next nursery I go to willhave more choices. I still need to place an order or do something with a trade if someone has a pile of them to offer.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7664797

Today's first blooms on Gladiolas purchased at Lowes and planted in early January.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7664817

Oh my goodness! I'm really, really jealous. Can't wait to plant mine. Maybe 2-3 weeks more. Even the ones on the ground are still below the ground. LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7664869

LOL. Yes, the climate is a little different down here. Planted the purple ones first and then scattered the blue, orange and lime green plantings over a period of a month or so.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7665368

Aligator Boy wins again! LOL! Nice shot Jon!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7665420

im wondernig if I should not just go ahead and pot mine up. I got about 2-3 weeks yet before my frost date. We have been getting in the 50's during the day, lite freezes at nite.
It could still very well snow.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7665560

I bought some ceramic planters, on clearance at a local nursery for $2 a piece, roughly about 12" in width and 12" or so in height. (See photo below, don't mind the rose plant)
Thinking of planting some gladiolas in those planters. Never planted them in containers before.
How many giant bulbs would you guys think are ideal for each planter. These will be HUGE bulbs (16cm+).

Thumbnail by Tex68

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7665586

6 to 12 bulbs maybe? Depends on the size of the finished glad.

Im gonna plant mine in large nursery cans...they are about the same pot size as what your talking. I will probably do 6 in one The finish size is a tall variety
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7665620

Height is 48". That's all I know.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7665792

I think I'd wait until a couple of weeks prior to your last frost date Blossom. They're gonna take a couple of weeks to pop out of the ground, so they would be protected at the beginning. Maybe plant a couple of containers and stagger your plantings 2-4 weeks apart. That way they won't all bloom at once and you can enjoy them over a longer period of time.

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I would probably plant 12-18 glad bulbs in that 12 inch pot. Just space them 3-4 inches apart around the edges and fill in the middle with more bulbs. Generally we seem to plant bulbs much closer together in pots so that we get maximum flower power from the container. Look how close daffodil bulbs are planted together when they're planted for forcing in a pot. The bulbs are practically touching each other. You wouldn't plant them that close in the ground because you're most likely leaving them in the ground and giving them more space as they multiply over the years. Since its a one year thing in a pot I would jam those babies close together. Just plant them a good 5-6 inches deep so the stalks will develop strong stems with less flopping.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7665812

Our last frost date is in May. We always plant glads April 15. They are underground & frost won't reach them. Flowers in early July that way. We plant 3 times. 2nd around May 8 & 3rd end of May. Flowers until freeze in late Sept.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7666554

Well, I agree on part of what your saying there jon.. I was thinking of combos in their pots.. not sure yet what I was gonna add. Problem with the glads though if they are too crouded, bing a one faced flower on a staul, I woudl not want them too crouded, but to have a good show. Unfortuneately I did not get the quanity of bulbs I would have liked to so they are gonna be what I have in the three bags. I really wanted to do more but something came up.

So anyway, I think I can get by with them in the containers and probably could go ahead and pot them now. I can always move them into the GPS if I have to if they sprout and the weather turns tail.

Being April 15 is normally our last frost date.. I think its doable..
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 30, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7666928

I would think its very doable Blossom since they have mobility. The ones I planted in the ground are about 4-5 inches apart and it seems like there's quite a bit of space between them. Would have planted them a little closer if doing it all over.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7668188

Well Jon, the more the merrier. ... I would take all I could!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 30, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7668641

Agreed. Cut a few of the purple ones today and vased them up. I think I planted 100 in total (purple, blue, orange and lime green).
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7671947

arrrgh! YOu make me jeaous! LOL!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7672103

Today we are planting the first ones.
Early flowers this year.
Looking for rain tomorrow.
Above normal temperatures for next 2 weeks.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7672292

There you go again... oooooh soooo jealous... me wantum lots o glad!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7672303

I have a lot of some. Way more than I need.
D-mail if you want some.
Bernie
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7674580

hmmmmm...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7682483

I guess I am just gonna plant what I got and be happy. Its out of budget to order anymore.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7682549

I purchased from a Classified Ad here at DG recently and will most likely plant this week after cleaning up the bed (apt. gardener here).

I ended up w/ 10 ea of:

Great Lakes
Green Star
Jazz Age
Jubilee
King's Gold (20-yellow seems to not make it in the co-ops so I doubled up for all the times I didn't get them:lol:)
Orange Sherbet
Rhapsody in Blue
Saturn
Tampico

Plan to plant Green Star, Jubilee and King's Gold in a mixed patch since I like the idea of all the citrus type colors together in the summer (already in the mid 80's here--ridiculous)

I get a catalog that has show glads and show dahlias and it is super hard not to place an order--hundreds of varieties that will never be mass produced--but at about $1 each corm depending on if you want the med. or lg corms--well, maybe I'll splurge one day:lol:
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7682675

Strange weather. It's been warmer up North compared to here. We've been consistently staying in the 70's the past week or two. Not complaining though. Its been absolutely beautiful and I'm in no hurry to see our 4-5 straight months of around 90 every day.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7682929

Planted the reds today.. dang Walmart product.. shorted me, there was not 20.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7683596

Planted the purples...these are going 5 in a can same as the reds except for the lousy can that got only 4. KInda hard to count things when they come in a baggie.

grrrr.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7684195

We're in the low 80's which is definitely warmer than I was hoping for while on vacation. I tend to like it a bit cooler so I can spend more time catching up w/ my garden chores, weeding/planting/containers and gereral clean up. I am not a heat person by any stretch:lol:
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 6, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7684292

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 2:49 PM
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 6, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7684322

Well I've got a total of about 300 bulbs of different colors planted on this garden. They were planted last year and are coming up this year on time as they are summer bloomers. I like to see plants coming up at different times because this means that I will likely have a longer blooming season. The ones already up still have some growing to do and there are many just breaking through the ground. I saw the ones at Lowes too and almost got 4 or 5 new bags but then I already have soo many that I would have to make the garden bigger. I might still get some and plant them closer in between the ones that I've got now.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7684423

Well, im not all that upset really.. would ya beleive the last bag then had one more than it should have? LOL!

Life is like a box of chocolates...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7684558

I guess someone had a hard time counting Blossom. I always count the bulbs also just to make sure the count is right.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7684664

Probably were weighed & not counted. So if a couple were a hair bigger you end up short.

From our wholesaler, we ordered 500 each of 10 varieties. They sent an extra bag of 500 of a variety called Sugar Plum. Can't find a picture, so will have a surprise.

Next year I will get going earlier & offer some of my extras at a ridiculous price.

Bernie
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7687592

Hey John - I always envy your 'pool weather' down there in Florida. Guess what? We got a record breaking 93 degrees today here at the Jersey shore. Not only we got pool weather, we got BEACH weather as well. LOL!

However, the plants are not liking it. It's really too hot early in the season and the plants seems to suffer from heat stroke. I had to hose down everything today.

Did you get your calla bulbs from Ella yet? Mine came today. Also, of all things - live Echinaceas Summer Sun I ordered from another vendor came. Luckily I was home to take care of them, other wise the heat inside the box would have gotten to them.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7687825

Good grief Al. That is too hot too soon. It was only 83 here today but 85 and 87 the next two days, then back into the upper 70's (below normal) for 3 or 4 days. No rain in 9 days now, so have had to get back into watering regularly after having to water very little all winter long. It's still pleasant though as the humidity is nowhere near summer levels yet.

Good that you were home when your Echinacea came. It wouldn't have been happy in that box in the heat. Was just looking at the Echinacea plugs I've received this spring to see how they're doing. Summer Sun is doing the best of the bunch. It has grown much faster and looks very well. Hope your "Summer Sun" behaves in the same way.

My Calla Lily bulbs from Ella also came today. I had also ordered some Calla Lily bulbs from Lakeside Callas at a different time and they came today also. Now I'm looking at these paper bags with calla lily bulbs and wondering where am I gonna put these things. Oh well, I'll figure it out someday.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7687928

Its been sultry here too. Well if you dont like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7739562

Well, we got rain...its a tad cool, but sunny and my glads decied to poke their lil leafs up! They be about one inch tall! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7739683

Not surprising. Things just take off after a real good rain. They sure like rain water over tap water. Had a couple nasty severe thunderstorms this morning. Went outside, before they hit, and cut 4 pink &white gladiolas before they were drenched on. The pink & whites are blooming now and the next ones will be the orange & lime green gladiolas.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7739897

Mine are up real nice too. About ready to put 2nd planting in the ground.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7740194

I planted phantom and green envy about two weeks ago in pots and in the ground. The ones in the ground were of course planted a little deeper so I don't see any sprouts yet. Those planted in pots are now sprouting from about an inch or two.
I still have several bags/varieties to plant and I'll try to space them in two weeks interval.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7740320

I wish it was a better year for me... things are just not goign well.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7740700

Hmm. I want things to go better for you Blossom. I really hope they do soon. Is it health related stuff?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7740761

Blossom - are you talking about your garden progress, or as what Jon mentioned - your health? Financial issues?
Whatever is bothering you - hope everything works out well.
I want to see pictures of your gladiolas blooming this year.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7770238

Hi fellow glad fans. Hope you are ok Blossom. Well from the way things are looking weatherwise so far it's not going to be a good year for glads in the ground for me so my glads are going to be planted and live in big containers this year. I also got some new tiny tots to try this year. I am going to plant those in the ground cuz that bed is very warm. Can't wait to see this year's pics!
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 6, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7770441

I've got a general question about the glads. Mines are just starting to spike and all I see is 5 or 6 buds. How do you do it to get long spikes like the ones sold at the florist stores. I added bone meal when they started poking out as well as 17-17-17 time release firtilizer. After that some blood meal and still I ended with this amount of buds. These were the same from last year and the show was about the same. Any suggestions as far as better grade glads?? Thank you !!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7770639

well heres mime in my pots so far

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7775119

Here is the first bloomer of the season for me. I've got spikes coming up everywhere now which promises a great summer of colors.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7775122

And here is a close up of the flower with flash. You can also see the weeds groing which I will hopefully take care of tomorrow in the early morning before this heat that we are having gets to me.

This message was edited May 8, 2010 1:06 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7775563

very nice!!!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7775645

Very nice. I've had good success with them blooming in the spring, in Ft Lauderdale Roly, but not so much in the summer. A good percentage of the flower stalks rot on me if they're not planted early enough to get blooms no later than early-mid June. I think its a combination of the heat/humidity and the summer rainy season which lessens the blooming percentage after early June.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7775894

Mine are up about a foot,planted last year,and only a few bloomed,so hoping for more flowers this year!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7776281

we got sever frost precicted...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7776286

Where are you dear Blossom?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7776442

Midwest south of the big water freezing my taters off! YOu guys from up north are mean!! LOL!
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7776749

I didn't plant this guys this year. This is their second year reblooming. For me they always come up around this time. The show really picks up by mid May to early June and then the plants die slowly back down. Are they supposed to be spring bloomers. I though they were summer bulbs.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7776959

Isn't June summer already? Here they bloom around June too (whatever were left in the ground), You guys in Florida should have them blooming much earlier.

My previously planted glads that were left in the ground are about a foot tall already. The newly planted has not sprouted yet. I'm still adding some. But one of my containers are getting fuller and more than a foot tall already. It's the second planted at the back.

Thumbnail by Tex68

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7777826

LOL. It's summer year round in South Florida. I always say we have two summers: It's "Florida Summer" in the summer and "Northern Summer" during the winter

It makes sense that glads would naturally blooming in mid Spring in South Florida. They're definitely not meant to bloom here during the real summer. The conditions are not quite right at that time of the year. Must be similar to Amaryllis which also bloom in April/May when they're left in the ground.
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 9, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7778550

It sure is an eternal summer down here even though this past winter was extra chilly. My close to 400 orchids were demanding reinbusement because they had real ideal growing conditions year round...LOL. I hope that we don't get another one like that this year.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7778785

Yes, it was an unusually cool winter. Have to admit I loved every single day of the cool weather. It was a nice refreshing change compared to the several cool days "here and there" that we typically have each winter. Even the majority of my plants loved it, since I have very few tropical plants.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7785371

Took a photo this morning of the first "Green With Envy" Gladiola bulb blooming. This bulbs a few days ahead of the other ones.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7785720

Nas glad there Jon...

Look out... nas-tee weather abounds.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7786123

Thanks Blossom. I see some stormy weather is heading your way today. Still very sunny, very warm, very breezy and very dry here. No rain for the month of May and none expected for the next 7 days. The grass is saying "crunch crunch crunch" when you walk on it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7787400

Dear Jon...

Keep of da grass! LOL! Go swimming with
Jaws.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7787609

LOL. He likes the kiddie pool that collects the rainwater off the roof. Not too fond of the chlorinated water. He likes to run around the pool when people are in it, but never cannonballs into it. Them gators can be so fussy at times
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7791151

Ok, I'm lost! Who is "Jaws"? Is he a dogie, a shark, or a gator? LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7791361

It's my pet alligator Al. He hangs out, by the pool, with two geckos named "Pete" and "Repeat", and 3 carnivorous plants (Venus Fly Trap named "William" and 2 Pitcher Plants named "Wolfgang" and "Eddie Munster").

Jon
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7791434

OMG! That's so cool! I never knew or even heard of somebody having a pet gator. Is that even legal? How can you tame a gator? It doesn't bite or eat your geckos?? LOL! That is so funny how you name them including your carnivorous plants.

I guess I'm so old fashioned! I have to settle with these 2 'gremlins' named Pogi and T-Rex (aka Tea Bag):

Thumbnail by Tex68

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7791532

Those are cool dogs Al. Very nice!!! Jaws isn't interested in the geckos. I don't think he can even see them because they're too small or he has cataracts. There's a lot of teamwork going on out back. The geckos eat the insects crawling around the plants and Wolfgang and Eddie Munster lure in the flying ones. No need for insecticides when you got Pete and Repeat. Now THAT's the money you could be saving with geckos!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7791576

Cool! Now I'm just trying to imagine Pete and Repeat with their English accent. Or wait! Australian perhaps or...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7791880

LOL. It's funny you should ask because actually they're from Vanuatu.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7792107

Ils sont donc de la République de Vanuatu.
Je pensais qu'ils étaient de Nouvelle-Zélande. Leurs cousins vivent là-bas. Passez une bonne journée!

I hope Pete and Repeat understand French since they're from Vanuatu. LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7792760

Yes, it's a French republic off of New Zealand with LOTS of languages. English, French and Bislama (creole) are the 3 official languages. When they speak English it sounds like the Gecko. I've spoken to someone from Vanuatu on the tele and she sounded British...or Australian or Vanuatuan.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7794380

LOL! HIs gatoer talks too! LOL! Kinda like Mr. Ed!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7794623

LOL. Oh no. None of them actually talk. The geckos do like to stare at you when they see something good to eat and you're in their way. They patiently wait for you to move and then WHAM, gots it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7795138

LOL! Gots it
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7795246

Ik denk dat Jon's alligator Nederlands spreekt,
"I think Jon's alligator speaks Dutch"

Seine fleischfressende Pflanzen sprechen deutsch.
"His carnivorous plants speak German"

Nous savons maintenant que les geckos parler français. Seuls Jon parle anglais, c'est pourquoi ils ont tous le regardent.
"We now know the geckos speak French. Only Jon speaks English, that's why they all like to stare at him."

Ha-ha! I'm making fun of Jon and his pets!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7795483

Nee, nien und non. If the geckos hear me speak any foreign language it would be Italian. Maybe geckos are Italian. Afterall, the word DOES end in a vowel!!! LOL I briefly lived in The Nettherlands, part of the year, from 2000-2002 so I immediately recognized the first sentence you typed. I'm just hearing that sentence in my head and all the guttural sounds that are part of the language. Oh boy, what a language. LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7795791

Tex, keep at it Im enjoying seeing someone else get it for a change! LOL!

Careful though his tropical hibiscus gotta dial #2 for habla...!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7795853

LOL Blossom is the insti"gator". If she hadn't mentioned Jaws, none of this would have started. Stay away from the hibbies. Jaws usually shows teeth if you get too close to them, and Venus (fly trap) "William" is known to grab a leg every so often.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7796062

Thats GAITER to you! Ha
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7796148

Così Jon, si parlano l'italiano. Vengo su per spaghetti. LOL! Sei sicuro che stai italiane e non siciliani?
Hai sentito quello scherzo di essere un italiano e un siciliano?
"So Jon, you do speak Italian. I'm coming over for spaghetti. LOL! You sure you're Italian and not Sicilian?
You heard that joke before being a Sicilian and not an Italian?

Sí, es el instigador Blossom! Puedo oír hibiscos tropicales de Jon gritando: ¡Ay Caramba!
Te lo juro, los antepasados de mi padre eran de España.
"Yes, Blossom is the insti'gator'! I can hear Jon's trop hibiscus shouting: Ay Caramba!
I swear, my father's ancestors were from Spain.

This is such a riot! I should be posting in the European forum!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7796189

Non. Io non parlo la lingua. Ho studiato Italiano dieci anni fa, ma per solo tre mesi ogni sabato mattina. I used to go to Italy (usually Rome) quite often, but haven't been there in the past 4 years. Since I haven't been going in the past few years I've forgotten quite a bit of the language. I knew enough to get by and at least make an attempt to speak some when visiting. No,dad's parents came to the USA from a small town in between Rome and Florence. They moved to the US in their early 20's. My grandmother learned to speak English in the US, but my grandfather learned very little English. Italy was the first foreign country I visited and it's still my favorite by far. Nothing else is even a close second.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7796295

I guess that's why my username on Dave's Garden is two Italian words squeezed together.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7796767

Hey, I can do most any language you want...

got my handidandy transformer here.. no problema

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7796779

Now, back to Gladiolus.
Our second planting is going in the ground tomorrow. First planting is up & nearly a foot tall.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7796780

The only button babel does not have though Jon, is hillbilly, that one yer on yer own...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7796870

Still picking the "Green With Envy" Gladiolas. The orange ones will be the next ones to bloom. Getting near the end of the season with Gladiolas down here. Can't plant them in the summer. The stems fry with out heat, humidity and rain.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7805659

A photo of a bunch of "Green With Envy" Gladiolas from the backyard today.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7805670

A picture of "Pete" the gecko, this evening out back, looking for insects behind the potted plants. He's better than using chemicals on the plants. He looks a little bloated tonight. LOL

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7805701

And it looks like "William" only caught one insect tonight.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7806335

Nice Envies there Jon..

Cute Geck

Cool flytrap.. I tried those once... like I said ONCE! LOL!

I am having poor "germination" on several of the bulbs I potted... Otherwise my glads are about 7-10 inches tall, but missing a few
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7806343

I was missing a few Gladiolas also. Can see a couple of spots where nothing happened. Good to hear yours are coming along.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 20, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7810322

I think geckos are Italian cuz it's all about food for me and I LUV Italian food and I think it's all about food for geckos :-) I did plant my standard glads in the ground after all in a new spot where the soil is nice and warm.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7810837

Probably a good idea to rotate them around a bit and give them a new spot with dirt they haven't grown in before.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7812171

Well, mine are all in containers so its gotta be a bad bulb or one that may have rotted. The rest are fine.. perhaps too much horse poo!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7853563

ta-da

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7853615

They're looking good and liking the warm weather. Still some blooming down here for the next week or two and then the show will be over.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7853856

So sorry to hear that!

I hope my bulbs are prolific to carry over to next year!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7853922

They can't handle the humidity and rainy season that begins in June here. When one flower stops blooming there's always something else to fill the void. The Amaryllis are blooming now. This is their typical bloom time, in Florida, when the bulbs are left in the ground.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7854163

I have a pile of reserection lilies in nursery cans...the bulbs were huge. I hope they will sport a bloom

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7854336

To much winter here! Because of the deep snow, the ground didn't freeze. Now the field we had Glads in last summer has Glads coming up all over. Mostly from the small corms that fell off the large ones. There are carrots beets, & radishes planted in that field this year. Also lots of volunteer dill, so should be very interesting later on.

Second planting of Glads is now up. Probably plant the third planting next week.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7854444

I will take your "glad" pain! LOL! Volunteer glads.. how "sad"! LOL!

Trade ya my grass. Now that is sad! Im about ready to revert back to a pasture around here!

I cant tell my radish, beets, lettuce or onions anymore from the weeds..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7942135

OK, it is very rare that I would call any glad "UGLY", but we have a winner here.. this is orangatang BUTT UGLY!

OMG! of all the glads that had to grace my garden which has been derned few for this year..., I get THIS THIS THIS.. oooooogly thang!

I have alwasy liked "surprizes" but I am beginging to have my druthers.. EEEEEKS!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7942161

If only the flower form was better. Then it wouldn't be so strange looking.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7942228

That is a way funky weird one BlossomBuddy.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7942353

Well, as its opening its looking better, but MY GOD that thang has awful color in my book.. I will tak another pic later.. Maybe I was too close to judge? LOL!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7944913

It doesn't look that bad. Red and white on blue background - very patriotic! LOL!

Mine are just starting to bloom. Got lots of buds. Mostly in-ground plantings from previous year. Potted ones this year are just starting to bud.

Here's the first three blooms to open. With our current heat wave of 100 degrees temps for the next 5 days, I have to bring them inside.

Thumbnail by Tex68

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7944931

Tex68 actually its yellow and orange...on the blue background. It looks a little better today. the bloom is fuller, but Eeks, it was a shock to my system!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7957963

Now here is one I like.. same color orange and yellow but in opisite composition. This one will be a keeper fro me!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7958047

Our glads for sale this morning.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7958228

Very nice, what do you fertilize them with and do you irrigate them??

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7958299

Yes we can irrigate. 19-19-19 fertilizer.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7962705

Well this yellow is a keeper in my book!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7963026

red

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7963049

Red again

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7963131

Here's what I call summer peaches. Notice the color tone of the gladiolas is the same as the rose in the background. The rose by the way is a climber and the name is America.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7963136

Here's a fuschia(sp?) shown here with Nelly Moser clematis.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7963140

A pink one with Triumphator lily and Sweet Intoxication roses.

Still waiting for the rest to bloom. Some blooms were damaged or did not turn-out good due to the severe heat wave we had last week.

Thumbnail by Tex68

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7963147

Verry nice!

The red I have is called Wigs Sensation, however, it shows on the package to be a true red and the blooms I got have a white brush mark.. go figure...they were from Walmart...ugh.

Well, I guess I should not complain. complaining would be if they dint bloom!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7963149

More at the curbside corner.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7963159

Still pretty with the white brush mark.

Hoping for another rain tomorrow. It rained for the first time in almost 2 months in our area Saturday. No rain and severe heat of up to 100 degrees is destructive to the plants. On top of that, we got a mandatory water restriction.
Thankfully they still allow hose watering of gardens with a hand controlled nozzle. Look at my neighbor's lawn in the above photo.
It's all brown. Ours is still somehow green even though I don't water them. I just don't mow it short.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 3:53 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7963188

I like the curbside corner thar tex68!

Well that yellow one that I dint like earlyier.. proves to be a pretty bird in a vase...but by itself, gimme something else PLEZ!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7963194

I mow when its about a foot tall.. then I make hay! LOL!

Love that lavender of yours!

Im pretty disappointed in the glads I got...here I thought there woudl be more variety in the variety pack and nope.. just mostly yellow or yellow and orange. still have more to pop, but time will tell if I got the ones I bought.. Im drooling on the Commets.. but so far nada.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 12, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7963247

Nice fancydancy monochromatic effect Tex!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7963366

Hey D- nut, notice on my photos with the peach and pink gladiolas - there are dahlias behind them. If there's enough space, I'll stick a dahlia on them. LOL!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7963375

Blossom, that's a pretty arrangement you have! See, your yellow looks so good with those lilies and phlox(?).
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7963653

yep, tall purple garden phlox... for some reason it looks like Easter though! LOL!

My garden has gone a bit "rangy"...been mowing beds like crazy now trying to tidy up.

Gets to the point of no return...I am not weeding this by hand!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7973160

in a vase

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7983970

So sad...my glad season is over.

Summing it up in a nutshell:

The comets I so hoped would be terrific ...they were a bust.. I got no true to bloom in color as per their brochure. There was only one that was a magenta and that did not even come clost to being the lavender with white as hoped.

On the red Wigs Sensatin... only 2 or 3 bulbs bloomed fairly close to true to their brochure.

As for the mixed bag of bulbs, well, how can we say mixed bag was not good.. it was mixed alright but with four colors, a straighte yello, the yellow with the orange edge and the orange with the yellow edge and then the yellow with the red spodge...hmmm none of these were very exciting. I guess I will have to get more colors for next year.

Cant say I was really too unhappy, just not pleased with the colors. the flowers were fine.

I will however NOT PURCHASE from Walmart again. They were cheap bulbs, but not quality.

The End!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 20, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7984642

I will be selling bulbs next spring. Watch for them!
I have about 30+ colors now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7985434

Ok, Im thinking about you.. Dmail me on your arrangements...Im sorry I did not try you this season, but the powers that be, twas all I could do! What month do you ship in my zone, colors etc, all that good info!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7990857

PS - Of the few I had for 2010, this one was the winner in color. It was a loser for size, but a sweet dwarf. I was hoping for huge, but it still got my drools! I will see next year if these bulbs will preform. I think they are not dwarfs and just had a "puny" year!

Any suggestions on storage. Right now the bulbs are still in their pots, had intended to leave them dry down to ill the leaves were brown and real spent and then dig up and box and put in cool dry spot, well that is if Haddes ever chills down, man its been warm!

Gonna be interesting if these crossed with the reds and what those will be for oddities.

Gonna be interesting on if they had babies too.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7990982

They won't cross.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7991533

Ok, you got me on this one.. just how does one get a new hybrid then? I have never seen a glad set seed...how do theys "guys" breed then?

Every time I dig my glads I got tones of "pups" on the parent bulb... so then yer saying, the pups are the same color as teh bulb parent they are from..

but how how how.. and perhaps a whhy?!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8060380

Well, I have no clue how to breed glads...

But anyways.. been dumping my glad pots out and pulling the croms out to dry. I expect I will have smaller bulbs than when I started and not counting the babies. I got a few and they do look smaller than when I started them... and yep, a few little teeny pips on them
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8060443

oh well methinks it twould be so. Put the luvlys in containers in too much shade sigh,. Doesn't look like I will be bloomfull BUT due to the mangnificence of the foliage there willl be corms for next year :-)
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8060500

My guess is that you breed and create new potential varieties of gladiolas, the same way you do with other flowers, through hand cross pollination. I would imagine that cross pollination would create a seed pod with seeds. Perhaps it takes a couple of years to produce a corm large enough to produce the first blooms.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8060555

Your guess is as good as mine...I personally have never seen a glad set seed.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #8060565

I did a little reading about it and apparently it's not the type of flower that pollinates itself to create viable seed pods. It relies on bees or humans to complete the pollination process.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8060578

Yes, but how long does that take? I have never seen seed pods!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8060953

LOL I don't have any idea. Maybe it takes 4-8 weeks. That seems to be about the average time for seed pods to form and ripen on other types of flowers. Seems like it takes three years to produce flowers from seed. Here is a link to information regarding this subject Blossom.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759472/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8061161

Thanks Jon, that was nas! Dumped me my last glad today. need to kleen up my mess!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #8061164

Clean it up!!!! We can leave glad bulbs in the ground here, but the next year doesn't put out lots of blooms for some reason. Maybe they take another year, after that, to acclimate themselves. Don't think I'd have the patience to grow from seed and have to wait three years to see blooms. Know what I mean?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8061299

yup, you aint no doctor.. no patience! Mess haalf clean... I yanked the green ones too and just put them bulbs in a tray out in the sun to dry.

Gotta start cutting tall garden phlox next.. going out to the GPS now Bye!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8137306

All our bulbs are dug. Looks like I will have a good selection for sale in the spring.
D-mail me if you are interested. First come first serve you know.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America