Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Outdoor containers

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 267
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judgejudy
Alvaton, KY

February 25, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7587738

I need ideas or online sources for outdoor containers. All the beautiful pictures that everyone has posted of their container gardens have inspired me to do one area of my back yard and patio.
Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot are about the only choices I have and they are a little pricey.
I would appreciate any help...Thanks..Judy
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7588738

You might try thrift stores, Garage sales etc. With a little imagination you could come up with some beautiful inexpensive one of a kind planters along with traditional ones.
Have fun and good luck
Vickie
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7590010

I can't advise you much about mail order sources but other places to try would be Big Lots, Tuesday Morning and Hobby Lobby. Maybe a neighboring town might have one of these if your town doesn't.

I think Vickie's suggestion is a good one too. On another thread I read that the Habitat House resale store is another good source.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Susan
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7595144

And don't forget different departments in WalMart and K-mart, not to mention the good ole dollar stores!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7596228

FOR Real Sequee. I bought about 20 large containers made in Isreal from General Dollar a couple years ago when i decided i needed to dig all my Daylillys up and pot them. I bought all Dollar Generals in the area out.
Vickie
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7596417

Don't you just love the thrill of the chase and the joy of a great find? It sure has helped me to get through the winter lol. I just love it when the Christmas stuff gets taken off the shelves at the big stores and the gardening stuff starts showing up.

Susan
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7647217

Exactly what type of outdoor containers are you looking for? I have started buying these fake terracotta/stone pots/urns. Something similar to fiberglass or some type of poly plastic pots. They look like terracotta or stone but are much lighter and seem to hold moisture in, where as the plants/flowers seem to dry out faster in a terracotta, stoneware type container. The fiberglass look like the real thing, but I don't feel Home Depot is expensive. Guess it depends on what you want. I can't speak for Lowe's because don't get there often as it is 20-30 min. from here, plus they don't take care of their plants. I never buy any plants from that location of Lowe's. I can't speak for other Lowe's locations; and I have a feeling it all depends on who's the garden center manager.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7647437

I have bought some nice ones at The ChristmasTree Shop.Dont know if you have one near you or not. These were about 10 bucks each and measure about 12 -14 inches across.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7647448

OOPS sorry wrong photo. The ones in the above pix were from last year and larger and about 20 bucks each
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7647645

If you have a Costco or Sams near you they usually sell large pots at good prices. I usually like Costco better than Sams but both are good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America