Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: SEED CONSERVATION PROGRAM??

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 4, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7588973

I'm wondering if anyone knows of some sort of conservation program that could put a lot of seeds to good use? I have tons of seeds I won't be using. I've tried trading, but no one has anything I need. I've done SASEs and I'm done with that. So I'm now left with millions (literally) of seeds and I don't have room to grow them all. I was thinking about the lands in California that were ravaged by fire and other places that were flooded, etc. Many of my seeds would do great in a hot dry area, like TX, CA, AZ, etc. and even milder climates.

Are there any conservation groups that could put my seeds to use? I'm only interested in US groups, as I'd like to help my own country. I could even make it an annual donation, as I will continue to grow these same plants, which will continue to produce millions of seeds. Some of my seeds are edible as well as ornamental. Maybe there are some botanical gardens somewhere that have been destroyed and need any donations they can get (like in New Orleans maybe?). Anyone have any ideas?

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7589524

There is a church group here on DG. I sent them a package , I am sure they could help you find a place. I always think of the church groups in the area to help find those kind of things, and if there are soup kitchens or goodwill in your area they sometimes know things about groups that we dont see here.
Here are a few that are on the web
http://www.seedsavers.org/hermansgardenletter.htm
http://www.america-the-beautiful.org/free_seeds/index.php
Do come over and introduce yourself here to they are full of ideas!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078031/
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7594982

Thanks arejay. Seedsavers looks to be the kind of place I want to donate to, so I'll get in touch with them. It looks like they support community gardens and educational groups, which is where I'd like my seeds to go. And the seeds stay in the US as well. So I think they'll do well with my extra seeds. Thanks for the link!

NancyAnn

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7594993

Is there an Agriculture extension in your area?
They might have a use for the.
Community gardens could use them. I might be able to put you in touch with someone.
Are any good in Zone6?
Are they vegetables or flowers?

This message was edited Feb 28, 2010 4:00 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7595147

You are welcome Nancy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America