Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Winter Sow Glory Vine?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 9, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7589917

I bought a small package of Eccremocarpus Scaber mix (Glory Vine) I can't find very much information on sowing this seed. Does it need any kind of treatment before you sow it? I am thinking about putting it under lights in a warm area to grow as I am anxious to get it blooming before July. Is this a good idea? Has any one had any experience with this vine? I plan to grow it amongst Gloriosa Lily.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7591071

I haven't grown them before, but I'm trying Tresco Cream this year. I plan to start them inside at room temperature in a cool room; I may also stick a few out in a winter sowing jug. From what I found, they actually germinate at pretty cool temps-55-60F. Also found estimates of how long to germinate of anywhere from 14 to 60 days, so we may not get flowers. I may try to bring one in for winter. There is a note in PlantFIles that someone had one come back after the temp went down to 0F, so I may try to keep it in the garage against the wall shared with the house. Good luck to us both!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7591711

I am going to start mine indoors also. I think I will put mine in the warmest, sunniest place I have. It is always risky to plant a tropical from seed and expect it to bloom like an annual. I am reluctant to drag my vines in to over winter them. I have some Brugs, a Bougainvillea, Mandevilla and Jasmine I drag in. I used to have a passion flower and Stephanotis that I drug in as well. But, I am a little tired of dragging all of this stuff in. I am planting Gloriosa Lily because I can dig up the root and store it for winter which is much easier than bringing in an entire vine. So, I am experimenting with vines that will bloom for summer in terazzo planters that have a trellis in them. They are on my deck. I don't like morning glories as they re-seed like crazy around here.
On the other hand, while I think of it, I planted Black Eye Susan Vine, "Blushing Suzie" and it took until July before it started blooming well. So, there you go.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7592566

I just got "Month by Month Gardening in Illinois" and I was surprised by how early they say to start Black Eyed Susan Vine, I guess that's why. I'm trying to winter sow a few of those. I will post pics when/if my Glory Vine comes up. Fingers crossed.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 2, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7599553

I grow Glory Vine, but I do germinate it warm.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #7601134

Celene, I am not sure what you mean by "warm?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7601206

I use flats sitting on a heating mat.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7601454

Okay. I ordered a heating mat a few days ago. I have been wanting one for quite awhile. I can hardly wait for it to come!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7601458

One more thing, do you use a dome? If so, where did you get it?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7601499

I use the flats that come with a plastic cover.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America