Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Winter Sow Glory Vine?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 9, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7589917

I bought a small package of Eccremocarpus Scaber mix (Glory Vine) I can't find very much information on sowing this seed. Does it need any kind of treatment before you sow it? I am thinking about putting it under lights in a warm area to grow as I am anxious to get it blooming before July. Is this a good idea? Has any one had any experience with this vine? I plan to grow it amongst Gloriosa Lily.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7591071

I haven't grown them before, but I'm trying Tresco Cream this year. I plan to start them inside at room temperature in a cool room; I may also stick a few out in a winter sowing jug. From what I found, they actually germinate at pretty cool temps-55-60F. Also found estimates of how long to germinate of anywhere from 14 to 60 days, so we may not get flowers. I may try to bring one in for winter. There is a note in PlantFIles that someone had one come back after the temp went down to 0F, so I may try to keep it in the garage against the wall shared with the house. Good luck to us both!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7591711

I am going to start mine indoors also. I think I will put mine in the warmest, sunniest place I have. It is always risky to plant a tropical from seed and expect it to bloom like an annual. I am reluctant to drag my vines in to over winter them. I have some Brugs, a Bougainvillea, Mandevilla and Jasmine I drag in. I used to have a passion flower and Stephanotis that I drug in as well. But, I am a little tired of dragging all of this stuff in. I am planting Gloriosa Lily because I can dig up the root and store it for winter which is much easier than bringing in an entire vine. So, I am experimenting with vines that will bloom for summer in terazzo planters that have a trellis in them. They are on my deck. I don't like morning glories as they re-seed like crazy around here.
On the other hand, while I think of it, I planted Black Eye Susan Vine, "Blushing Suzie" and it took until July before it started blooming well. So, there you go.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7592566

I just got "Month by Month Gardening in Illinois" and I was surprised by how early they say to start Black Eyed Susan Vine, I guess that's why. I'm trying to winter sow a few of those. I will post pics when/if my Glory Vine comes up. Fingers crossed.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 2, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7599553

I grow Glory Vine, but I do germinate it warm.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #7601134

Celene, I am not sure what you mean by "warm?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7601206

I use flats sitting on a heating mat.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7601454

Okay. I ordered a heating mat a few days ago. I have been wanting one for quite awhile. I can hardly wait for it to come!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7601458

One more thing, do you use a dome? If so, where did you get it?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 3, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7601499

I use the flats that come with a plastic cover.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America