-
AuthorContent
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7590906

It's cold... it's wet, and I'm ready for this winter to be over with!! Indoors I didn't get any regular BOP blooms this year, strangely enough, but I got something special instead - the White BOP actually bloomed. I never thought I'd see the day one would bloom over winter inside the garage of all places. I noticed it had started before I moved in last fall (which shocked me at the time since it was hidden behind some cannas). But I never expected more blooms over the winter. Such beautiful flowers - makes having these giants well worth the trouble of their size and toting them in and out each spring and fall.

I've been feeling the stems of the ones I left outside... not sure the BOP's made it this winter. But this was a rough winter to test them. The Traveler's Palms might rebound though - they still feel pretty firm down at the base.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7591658

Wow! That is a surprise - and pretty too! Plants are amazing.

X
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 1, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7597332

Congrats on your beautiful bloom! ?Do you keep your plants in your garage under lights?
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7597414

Thanks. I do, I use two 1000W metal halides. I've used them successfully since 2007 - just have to replace the bulbs every other year to keep the quality of light high enough for the plants.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 1, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7597433

I haven't considered doing something like that. I've been begging DH to get me a greenhouse. But, this winter weather is causing me to seriously reconsider. Halides in the garage sound like a better and safer idea.
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7597543

Here's a few of the threads I had going at the time in 2007. I've made some changes over the years to help with watering, etc - like putting tarps up along the wall, etc (as evident in the BOP photo) - just to help protect the drywall. But overall it's been a very good experience, especially since I cannot build a GH in my current neighborhood.

My last halide questions before I purchased (I did end up going with the 1000W systems, I started with 1 and quickly bought another before that winter).
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/775400/

This shows my full set up as it was in 2007 - starting with the 1 light and then the two beside each other. Gave me a very good sized growing area with a bit of overlap between lights.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/785244/
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7597552

Here's some photos on Facebook of the set up for 2008-2009.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2271617&id=12619392&l=acdee864f6

Reminds me I need to post some from this winter - it's amazing how much bigger everything is indoors this year, I'm almost out of room height wise.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7597671

Your BOP is beautiful. Three questions - how many hours do you run your lights each day, are they energy efficient, and much did it spike your utility bill? Thanks, keonikale!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7597817

I run them from about 4:00pm each afternoon until around 7:00am the next morning. So about 15 hours a night, which is probably about average - I've read 12-17 hours is recommended for plants as large as I'm growing. I run them during those hours so they are one while I'm home plus they provide a lot of heat overnight on the cold nights - thus no need for additional heating usually (I use a portable radiator for the really cold nights near the garage door).

Not sure how to define their energy efficiency when referring to them - they do use a lot of power at 1000W each. I did find it helped a little to put each on its own breaker so it doesn't pull so much across a single breaker. There are three pieces to each system - the halide hood, the bulb, and the ballast. The bulbs I have are made for vegetative grown and burn at 7200K (fairly close to real sunlight - just not as strong). You can also get bulbs that are for flowering - or even dual systems that are for both. Taking the plants out in the spring does sometimes result in burns to some leaves - especially on the palms which shows the lack of strength when compared to natural sunlight. I could probably avoid this if I slowly moved them into the sun versus thrust them out into it (even in March the sun is strong enough to burn them it seems). This link below is a good source to read more about lumen(s), PAR, K, CRI, and all the other tech-terms regarding these kind of grow lights:
http://www.specialty-lights.com/plantgrow-questions.html#howmeasured

Power/Cost wise I've got to guess... I've never had a winter without them in this home. But if I look at the months in the middle of the summer and assume I use as much energy to heat the home as I do to cool it, I can get a pretty good estimate. I estimate it's about $40-$60 a month for each light. On average over the last three winters it looks like my power bill went up about $100-$150 a month when the lights were on for 15-16 hours a night. Though at times that included the radiator - so it may be as little as $30 a month (which rings a bell back when I first did my estimates at 14hrs a night).
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7597821

Another link that shows the comparison of Halides versus Florescent bulbs. I've posted a lot about these systems at Bananas.org too - so feel free to search there as well under my posts.
http://www.bananas.org/f15/lighting-winter-6148.html#post54683
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7597928

Thank you for all the information and links. I have an enclosed back porch that would really benefit from additional overhead lighting, and I think 1000w would suffice. I could drop my thermostat 1 degree to offset the additional energy consumption. ( I left a BOP outside all winter in a container because I was sick of bringing things indoors. I was ready to trash it, but the lower portion still feels firm. If it returns this summer, I'll definitely take better care of it.) Thanks again.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 2, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7599403

Wow! I looked at the threads on link you provided and saw the photos. The plants are gorgeous and I love your setup. My husband will never let me have the garage, but we do need a storage building. So, I may be able to convince him to build or buy it large enough to accomodate a plant room vs. buying a greenhouse. Well, at least I know I have options.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #7600791

One of my regular BoP's bloomed this winter, as did one last year. One day my white one WILL bloom!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7602079

I was thinking on this the last few days and it may sound crazy, but I think I may know what's causing them to bloom.

In the winter of 07-08 my normal BOP bloomed, and then did again in 08-09. But this year it didn't, instead my White BOP bloomed. So I started thinking what I did differently and I think it has to do with watering.

The White BOP that bloomed is not my largest white BOP, but it WAS the most under-watered last year. Additionally, I think I watered my regular BOP more than normal last year. So it almost makes me think neglect is what causes them to bloom. The white BOP that I have blooming is in a pot of course and only has about 6.5 months outside in the sun each year. I'm going to try holding back on the water this year, but keep them in good sun, and see if they all bloom next winter. Figure it's worth a shot.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 3, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7602081

Quick question, do you keep your BOPs in full-sun?
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7602172

Pretty much. They go out in late March to mid April and I try and give them as much full sun as possible. The one that's blooming got A LOT of sun last year. But then again, so did my other white BOP and it didn't bloom. The only difference I can think of between them was watering. One was near the sprinkler system, the other was not.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 3, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7602194

Thanks. I kept my BOP in the house this winter. What a big mistake. I did get a bloom, but it dried up before it opened. Some of the leaves also have brown tips. The humidity is too low. It would have been better off in the garage. I'm making plans now to better care for it next winter. Thanks for sharing your ideas and happy gardening.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7602399

Keonikale it's not such a crazy idea .. if you consider a plants imperative is to reproduce then it seems quite logical for it to bloom when under stress - I have gotten a number of stubborn plants to bloom by withholding water and stressing it.

keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7602494

No xanax for the plants then this year ;) Definitely makes sense when you think about it, I'll have to try that on some of my more stubborn plants.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7605708

wow I love the BOP! I my brought my two in this year (and man that was enough to put my back out!) but I just couldn't afford to heat the GH this year -

I hope mine will finally bloom this year - it will be the 3rd season I have had them and one I got in the asheville roundup was already several years old and had not bloomed (but since I split it for someone Tom I think it was said it could take a few years to recover and bloom)

anyways - the one in the kitchen is topping 8' right now so I'm just thrilled I didn't kill them over the winter with my boredom and constant nattering around them LOL
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7652670

For those who have these giant BOPs in bloom - do they usually bloom over and over again all year round or do they stop for part of the year? My regular BOP only blooms in the winter. But this White BOP is going crazy sending up flower stalk after flower stalk - I'm worried it's going to bloom itself to death. I went out to check on the blooms and noticed two new ones about to open in the back of the pot. That'll be 6 stalks this winter alone. Weird part is, my other White BOP which is almost the same size (if not larger) hasn't bloomed once. Strange.
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8435222

Just an update. Apparently White BOP's, like regular BOP's, only like to bloom in the winter (here at least). Mine's got four stalks on it right now, two of which are blooming - two about to open. Not sure if it'll put up any more or not. I have noticed the BOP grew considerably taller after blooming last year. I'm still fairly convinced it's the lack of water (and full exposure to sun all summer) that causes it to bloom - this past year it got a decent amount of water, but not too much. Funny that this one blooms and the other large one doesn't - makes me wonder what's different about them, maybe age. Either way, I'm making sure to put this one back out in full sun soon enough, I hope to get blooms every winter now. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll both bloom next year.

Here's the bloom stalk from this year. Such a beautiful plant.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8436849

Those are beautiful never seen them in the Carolina's before.
I need some of these.LOL

Lavina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America