Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I just bought my first three peonies!!!
Festiva Maxima - a white
Bowl of Beauty - a pink cup with a white center
Blush Nymph - single light pick, soft yellow center

I can't hardly wait for them to grow and bloom. I hope they live up to the pictures.

Marti

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Picture of the Bowl of Beauty Peony. I just love it.

Thumbnail by marti001
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I bet you don't just stick with three! Nice choice and I'm sure you'll love them :)

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've grown and loved both Festiva Maxima (a well deserved classic with a fabulous rose scent) and Bowl of Beauty. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with them, and as Ann says, you will soon have more than 3!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I did see several more that I would love to have. Just ran out of money. But I'll have to save and get more. They are just so pretty and I do have almost a 1/2 acre to plant.

Marti

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh well in that case you could have a whole peony border!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

You have chosen three lovely peonies. :) Welcome to the addiction! :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thank you. I hope you will all be available for questions as I learn how to grow them. I've never had peonies before, but have always love the look of them. Now I have a place to plant them and other things that i've never had room for.

Marti

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, I think we'll be around. :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm happy to hear that.

1st question!!

The peonies I bought are bareroot. They have started to sprout. Should I put them into pots as my yard is not ready to plant anything? If I put them into pots can I transplant late spring or early summer when the yard is ready or should I wait to transplant until they go dormant again?

Yes you can pot them up now but keep them somewhere relatively cool as you don't want to force them into early growth. When your garden is ready to plant you can transfer them from the pots.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I was worried when I saw that there is 1 - 2 inches of growth on a couple of them. I'll get them potted up today.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought Bowl of Beauty for a friend years ago. Lovely peony. I see it in her yard. Great choice.

And I LOVE Festiva Maxima. It's such a rewarding peony. I have more than one.

Donna

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Starting potting my peonies. The Blush Nymph was surposed to have 2 in it and it has 4 in the package and they've all started to send up shoots. I have to get more pots for the other peonies. I only got 4 pots.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a delightful problem!

Donna

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey I don't mind, but just need the extra pots for the other peonies. Maybe the others will have more than 1 in them. Anyway I got more than I figured which is great.

Marti

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I got all my peonies potted up. They are all ready breaking ground. One looks like it is a flower bud. I am so excited!!!!

Now just have to plant the Cala lilies and dalias, that I got.

Do keep us posted on their progress!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Congratulations! First peonies - wonderful.

Donna

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

My peonies are all doing great in their pots. I'm afraid to plant them yet as the tree trimmer hasn't finished trimming the trees and I'm afraid he'll drop a branch on my peonies if I plant them in the yard. No buds but from what I've researched they will not bloom this year. They need time to grow and will bloom next year. Thats OK. I'll just have to lurk around here and enjoy your pictures til than.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well done, Marti. We'll certainly post, and look forward to your blooms next year.

Donna

(Zone 5a)

Howdy all! Good to see some old friends!

Marti, I look forward to pictures too. My old peonies are just that. Old. I dug them from a house that a SIL bought. I knew the owner since I was a kid. She didn't cotton to youngsters in her yard. I never got yelled at, but I never crossed her yard. I have the Festiva and a couple of pink ones. Everytime I tried to move them, they broke into pieces. The three turned into about 26. I got them whittled down to about one per, plus the old red one I dug from a vacant house, and the gorgeous red one that came with the property. I never bought a peony in my life :o)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Peonies should be planted in full sun or can they be in filtered sun? I'd like to plant them next to the porch. They would get full sun mornings, filtered sun from about 10am to 2 pm than full shade in the worse of the heat afternoon.

(Zone 5a)

I think filtered sun would be ok. I have a row on the east southeast that only get so much sun. I'm in zone 5 and it might be a different story here. Mine leaf out and bloom before the trees shade them.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Marti, that shouldn't be a problem for them. Because when you think about it, the sun comes up about 5:30 to 6:00 am from the end of April, so they are getting a ton of sun. :) Filtered sun in the hottest part of the day will help keep them looking fresh. :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information. Once I get them planted I'll post pictures. For now I have them in their pots sitting in the area where I'm thinking about them.

Thumbnail by marti001
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with BillyPorter. In fact, I would like to get a little more shade for mine so the colors aren't bleached out (pink to white).

Donna

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thats why I think they would do fine by the porch. During the hotest part of the day, the afternoon sun, my peonies would get filtered to full shade.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 7a)

Hi folks! I planted three bare root Peonies last fall. When they came up this year, I realized that I'd planted them too close together. Only one, Festiva Maxima, had a bloom and it was a beauty!. Alexander Fleming and Raspberry Sundae have not shown any signs of budding but I really didn't expect any of them to do so. I thought I'd read somewhere that Peonies don't like to be moved and I wondered if any of you had any thoughts on that and whether I could move two of them now or wait until later in the year. All three are about a foot or so high and seem to be very healthy. Thanks for any tips you can share.

Harry

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Move them in the fall.

(Zone 5a)

Harry, yes, move them this fall before they get any bigger. Give them 4' around if you have them exactly where they will stay. They can get huge!

Good luck! Mine were just gorgeous this year!

Sally

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I will be digging up some peonies this fall. It is a huge plant and I'm told I can take some of it. Instructions needed on how to do it.

(Zone 5a)

Marti, dig a wide deep hole all around it and don't be suprised if it self divides. That's what happened to mine. 3 plants became 9. Old plants can go 3' deep in my experience. You'll need some muscle to help you. The dirt was really dry when I got mine and I had no idea what to expect. That's how they broke apart so easy.

Good luck! Old varieties are nice to get!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.