2010 Peony season off and running

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

With the advent of warmer weather, the peonies are really taking off these last few days. Normally I don't have blooms on the herbaceous peonies until the latter of April, but I won't be surprised if they are much earlier this year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow we just had 5 1/4" of rain follow by 6" of snow. Now everything is mushy and white with more snow/rain coming. Wishing my Peonies in the ground were up.
Soilsandup are those lemons in the upper right corner of your picture?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful sight!

Donna

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Dangit soils I am usually the first! LOL

That is beautiful, I agree....mine are just barely popping out of the ground now - pretty far behind normal schedule. We have had a colder than usual winter.

Howdy Donna! :-)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Good to "see" you Steve!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Is this not the most beautiful yellow herbaceous peony you've seen??

Found this on th Adelman site - don't know that I am willing to cough up $350 for it though, LOL!!

http://peonyparadise.com/lemonchiffon.aspx

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's absolutely gorgeous! Really subtle and elegant. OK, it's a bit pricey.

Have you noticed that the prices on the oldies have shot through the roof? I got a Mrs. FRD with seven eyes for about $15 in 2004. The going price seems to be $25. Not a lot in absolute terms, but it's not patented, old as heck and easy to divide.

On another site a person said that the same thing is happening with irises. The old ones that some people tossed are not hot - and very pricey!

Kansas City, MO

The next hot peony will be the species ones. A very hot one because it takes a while to adapt, if it ever does are the native North America ones, P. brownii and californii.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking that somewhere in the east of US or Canada are native peonies that because of their appearence people do not know they are from the peony family. If they exist they will be stumbled upon in someones garden or in a wild area.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

You mean something like this... I discovered it in a corner of my property almost 9 years ago. Didn't know what it was but kept it alive while slowly clearing a small area around it, though it's still a very shady spot. Just recently I decided to post it on the ID forum and discovered it's a peony. Barely gets any sun but am planning to clear a little more of the area for increased sun and see what happens. The pic shows it at it's peak growth last summer.

Thumbnail by rockgardner
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Peonies and me don't get along. Why don't my peonies ever bloom? I have had the one plant for almost 3 years. I always make sure that they aren't planted too deep and that they are about and inch under the soil . I always get nice green foilage and little bitty buds but then nothing. Could someone maybe help me.

Erin

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Erin,

Where did you get your peonies? It is not unusual for them to take two or three years to flower or even more for the small roots sold in places like Home Depot. You live in a great clkimate for peonies so they should be pretty effortless for you. You've ruled out the planting depth issue; what about sun? Do yours get enough?

I wouldn't begin worrying that much after three years especially if the plant was small to begin with. Even the big ones sold by the major peony growers can often take a couple of years.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I bought one from lowes last april and it had flowers on them that were ready to open, but as soon as I planted it they didn't bloom. I don't remember where I got the one that hasn't bloomed but its pretty big. They do get full sun. I guess that I will watch them again this year and hope for the best.

Kansas City, MO

Plant probably needs to be raised a bit and given some even numbered fertilizer, 10-10-10 etc. Contrary to the expectation that most will bloom with in three years some may take longer. Any peony with molly in its parentage may take a while. Another that takes more time is Old Faithful.

Although they are cheap the peonies that are sold as red, white and pink can contain some of the more expensive peonies especially when suppliers are cleaning out their warehouses. One of the reasons some are more expensive if you buy the name is that they either do not grow fast or are hard to divide.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

mcgper - Yes, that is a semi-dwarf meyers lemon in the background. It is a great to be able to have lemons pretty much year round, and the best part is that the heaviest fruiting period is right around Christmas when fresh fruits are rare.

Steve - oops! Sorry about that.. LoL ..I do remember making a comment last year about how early you got your first opened blooms We had a week of 70 degrees a couple of weeks ago and everything took off

Here's a photo of the lemon tree while waiting for the peonies.

Dianne

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Envious and a week of 70's is just what I need! Little pips of a few of mine are showing in places that there is no snow as of right now.

Keep those pretties coming. Always enjoy the show!

Thanks!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

When it gets to be over 100 here in the summer, I will be envious of your cool weather LoL.

My tree peonies are the first to bloom. This is a pink one - if I am lucky, it may open up in about two weeks.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another cluster after a recent rain.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Like Steve, we've had a tough cold winter, but warm weather is here to stay this week. I found these peeping out of the ground Sunday.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Dianne, Nicole...!

I have some rising now too. I think this is "Early Scout" in its third year.....the one I accidentally planted on top of my daffodils!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My four-year-old Abalone Pearl - normally my first to flower of the more established plants...I can see about eight flowerbuds already if I look closely.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My new Abalone Pearl that I planted last fall....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

8 flowerbuds already? how exciting! I'm SO ready for spring AND so jealous of you Steve.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 5:09 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Soils, Lili and Steve, they are all wonderful!

Steve - is it something in the water!!!!!????

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Early Scout 1st year obtained from Hidden Springs last fall.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Most advanced of my fern leaf transplants of last fall. Single red. Probably some form of hybrid noid I had purchased from Spring Hill some years ago.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Man, I am so jealous of you guys!!! I still have a few mounds of snow waiting to finally melt...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

OGR, fabulous!

I tiptoed outside onto the wet grass to find that vitually all of my 14 peonies have broken dormancy. Our temps went up into the 50's the last few days and the mountains of snow that made it tough to get out of the driveway a week ago are gone!

The roses have broken dormancy, as well. Everything is soggy, and I couldn't be happier.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Jealous again...mine are barely breaking the soil.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

ahhhhh....but when all our our peonies are long gone, those of you in the colder zones will be enjoying yours.

Yeah, all our peonies will be done blooming by mid May.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Most of mine are barely breaking the soil also aside from the early bloomers - but like Lili said we are also finished around mid-May :-(

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

if a storm doesn't come thur and beat all the petals off like last year

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was trimming done some old stalks on some peonies and one of the oldtimers is actually showing some tiny little red tips! If the weather continues mild perhaps they will start a bit early this year.

Incidentally I just discovered that the Canadian Peony Society will be holding its annual meeting and show in Calgary in 2011. Should be fun! Any of you peony lovers close enough to visit?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I acciidentally chopped one of the eyes off of one of my peonies - I took a picture and you can even see the little flowerbud inside when I opened it up. How depressing! I was putting mulch in one of my beds and must have grazed it by accident. Was from peony "Top Hat" I got from Hollingsworth last fall. Fortunately there are some other pips coming up!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

:(

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh man, I hate it when I do stuff like that..

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I do have the first bud of this season on my tree peony

Thumbnail by bigred
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

One of the few good things about them coming up late is that it's harder to zap them. Steve, I'm sorry about your ooops. Somehow one of mine got completely knocked out of the ground. I suspect an errant dog. It was the kind that has the nub sticking up way at the top. Now it looks like a broken stick, with this little red bud at the end.

But you are seeing other pips! So it will happen.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Was checking this morning on the NE side of the house [close] and one of my old fashioned peonies has sent up one pip.
Wonder if it knows what it is doing. We had a heavy snow fall last fall prior to the ground freezing and now I am sure glad that I trimmed off the dead foliage. Makes for an easier spring.

Maxine

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.