Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peonies: 2010 Peony season off and running

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 203, Views: 2,106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7593874

With the advent of warmer weather, the peonies are really taking off these last few days. Normally I don't have blooms on the herbaceous peonies until the latter of April, but I won't be surprised if they are much earlier this year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7594121

Wow we just had 5 1/4" of rain follow by 6" of snow. Now everything is mushy and white with more snow/rain coming. Wishing my Peonies in the ground were up.
Soilsandup are those lemons in the upper right corner of your picture?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7594296

What a beautiful sight!

Donna
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7594323

Dangit soils I am usually the first! LOL

That is beautiful, I agree...mine are just barely popping out of the ground now - pretty far behind normal schedule. We have had a colder than usual winter.

Howdy Donna! :-)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7594456

Good to "see" you Steve!
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7594461

Is this not the most beautiful yellow herbaceous peony you've seen??

Found this on th Adelman site - don't know that I am willing to cough up $350 for it though, LOL!!

http://peonyparadise.com/lemonchiffon.aspx
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #7595138

It's absolutely gorgeous! Really subtle and elegant. OK, it's a bit pricey.

Have you noticed that the prices on the oldies have shot through the roof? I got a Mrs. FRD with seven eyes for about $15 in 2004. The going price seems to be $25. Not a lot in absolute terms, but it's not patented, old as heck and easy to divide.

On another site a person said that the same thing is happening with irises. The old ones that some people tossed are not hot - and very pricey!
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

February 28, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7595187

The next hot peony will be the species ones. A very hot one because it takes a while to adapt, if it ever does are the native North America ones, P. brownii and californii.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking that somewhere in the east of US or Canada are native peonies that because of their appearence people do not know they are from the peony family. If they exist they will be stumbled upon in someones garden or in a wild area.
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7595254

You mean something like this... I discovered it in a corner of my property almost 9 years ago. Didn't know what it was but kept it alive while slowly clearing a small area around it, though it's still a very shady spot. Just recently I decided to post it on the ID forum and discovered it's a peony. Barely gets any sun but am planning to clear a little more of the area for increased sun and see what happens. The pic shows it at it's peak growth last summer.

Thumbnail by rockgardner

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7595263

Peonies and me don't get along. Why don't my peonies ever bloom? I have had the one plant for almost 3 years. I always make sure that they aren't planted too deep and that they are about and inch under the soil . I always get nice green foilage and little bitty buds but then nothing. Could someone maybe help me.

Erin
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7595386

Erin,

Where did you get your peonies? It is not unusual for them to take two or three years to flower or even more for the small roots sold in places like Home Depot. You live in a great clkimate for peonies so they should be pretty effortless for you. You've ruled out the planting depth issue; what about sun? Do yours get enough?

I wouldn't begin worrying that much after three years especially if the plant was small to begin with. Even the big ones sold by the major peony growers can often take a couple of years.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7595438

I bought one from lowes last april and it had flowers on them that were ready to open, but as soon as I planted it they didn't bloom. I don't remember where I got the one that hasn't bloomed but its pretty big. They do get full sun. I guess that I will watch them again this year and hope for the best.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 1, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7595487

Plant probably needs to be raised a bit and given some even numbered fertilizer, 10-10-10 etc. Contrary to the expectation that most will bloom with in three years some may take longer. Any peony with molly in its parentage may take a while. Another that takes more time is Old Faithful.

Although they are cheap the peonies that are sold as red, white and pink can contain some of the more expensive peonies especially when suppliers are cleaning out their warehouses. One of the reasons some are more expensive if you buy the name is that they either do not grow fast or are hard to divide.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7595498

Thanks for the info!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7596129

mcgper - Yes, that is a semi-dwarf meyers lemon in the background. It is a great to be able to have lemons pretty much year round, and the best part is that the heaviest fruiting period is right around Christmas when fresh fruits are rare.

Steve - oops! Sorry about that.. LoL ..I do remember making a comment last year about how early you got your first opened blooms We had a week of 70 degrees a couple of weeks ago and everything took off

Here's a photo of the lemon tree while waiting for the peonies.

Dianne

Thumbnail by soilsandup

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7613878

Envious and a week of 70's is just what I need! Little pips of a few of mine are showing in places that there is no snow as of right now.

Keep those pretties coming. Always enjoy the show!

Thanks!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #7614933

When it gets to be over 100 here in the summer, I will be envious of your cool weather LoL.

My tree peonies are the first to bloom. This is a pink one - if I am lucky, it may open up in about two weeks.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7614935

Here's another cluster after a recent rain.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7615264

Like Steve, we've had a tough cold winter, but warm weather is here to stay this week. I found these peeping out of the ground Sunday.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7617272

Beautiful, Dianne, Nicole...!

I have some rising now too. I think this is "Early Scout" in its third year...the one I accidentally planted on top of my daffodils!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7617279

My four-year-old Abalone Pearl - normally my first to flower of the more established plants...I can see about eight flowerbuds already if I look closely.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7617284

My new Abalone Pearl that I planted last fall...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7618344

8 flowerbuds already? how exciting! I'm SO ready for spring AND so jealous of you Steve.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 5:09 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7619178

Soils, Lili and Steve, they are all wonderful!

Steve - is it something in the water!!!!!????
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7621407

Early Scout 1st year obtained from Hidden Springs last fall.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7621418

Most advanced of my fern leaf transplants of last fall. Single red. Probably some form of hybrid noid I had purchased from Spring Hill some years ago.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7622753

Man, I am so jealous of you guys!!! I still have a few mounds of snow waiting to finally melt...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7623143

OGR, fabulous!

I tiptoed outside onto the wet grass to find that vitually all of my 14 peonies have broken dormancy. Our temps went up into the 50's the last few days and the mountains of snow that made it tough to get out of the driveway a week ago are gone!

The roses have broken dormancy, as well. Everything is soggy, and I couldn't be happier.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7623251

Jealous again...mine are barely breaking the soil.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7623863

ahhhhh...but when all our our peonies are long gone, those of you in the colder zones will be enjoying yours.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7624189

Yeah, all our peonies will be done blooming by mid May.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7624612

Most of mine are barely breaking the soil also aside from the early bloomers - but like Lili said we are also finished around mid-May :-(
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7625356

if a storm doesn't come thur and beat all the petals off like last year
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 13, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7626244

I was trimming done some old stalks on some peonies and one of the oldtimers is actually showing some tiny little red tips! If the weather continues mild perhaps they will start a bit early this year.

Incidentally I just discovered that the Canadian Peony Society will be holding its annual meeting and show in Calgary in 2011. Should be fun! Any of you peony lovers close enough to visit?
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7627026

I acciidentally chopped one of the eyes off of one of my peonies - I took a picture and you can even see the little flowerbud inside when I opened it up. How depressing! I was putting mulch in one of my beds and must have grazed it by accident. Was from peony "Top Hat" I got from Hollingsworth last fall. Fortunately there are some other pips coming up!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7627123

:(
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7627426

Oh man, I hate it when I do stuff like that..
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7627776

I do have the first bud of this season on my tree peony

Thumbnail by bigred

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7627958

One of the few good things about them coming up late is that it's harder to zap them. Steve, I'm sorry about your ooops. Somehow one of mine got completely knocked out of the ground. I suspect an errant dog. It was the kind that has the nub sticking up way at the top. Now it looks like a broken stick, with this little red bud at the end.

But you are seeing other pips! So it will happen.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7628191

Was checking this morning on the NE side of the house [close] and one of my old fashioned peonies has sent up one pip.
Wonder if it knows what it is doing. We had a heavy snow fall last fall prior to the ground freezing and now I am sure glad that I trimmed off the dead foliage. Makes for an easier spring.

Maxine
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7628713

found another one [1 pip] that is up on the south side of the house. Never have seen peonies up this early in Wi.

Maxine
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 14, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7629072

May not work but if you have a tree peony stem with bud attached try rooting it in either sand, if you have it, or regular soil. I have had one the deer did this to and it rooted and sent up new foliage later in the year.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7629160

Congrats Bigred!

Here is my Abalone Pearl really taking off. I think I will have about 10 or 11 flowers on it this year as opposed to about 6 last year.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7629335

I have red pips coming up!!! Yay!!! They are just tiny little guys, but they are red!
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7629337

Howdy Diann - congratulations!!! :-)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7630155

Excellent, Diann. Guard those guys.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7633644

Some of my last fall's transplants into their permanent bed. Had 3 or 4 failures unless they are slow to bud but the successes made up for the failures.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7633649

Another.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7633655

This was probably two root systems.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7633665

This is the true species tenuifolia having buds at the ends of stolons. Purchased from Hidden Springs last fall. I think I see a tiny bud between the two larger buds.

Corrected Hidden Valley to Hidden Springs.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 9:42 PM

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7633684

For those who may not have seen the root system for a species tenuifolia fern leaf, this is supposed to be typical of the way the roots/tubers are connected.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7633692

Closeup of the vine-like stolons with eyes. The center root section appeared to have eyes but it was planted more deeply in order to keep the stolons below the surface. Another couple of weeks should tell the story.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7633701

All of my peonies are breaking ground. I have them in pots for now as the yard is not ready for planting. I can't hardly wait to see if I'll get blooms this year.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7633738

My standard peonies all have eyes/buds/pips above ground but they have not begun to open and put up leaves or stalks yet. We are having 50 degree weather for awhile so they should break open at any time.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7634315

Wow, OGR, your grass is greener than mine is :-) I meant you ask you, how is Hidden Valley anyway? I visited their website a couple of times and it seems nice - is the quality good compared to the other big names like Klehm or Hollingsworth or Adelman?

Wow - some of you in zones 5 and 6 have pips on all of your peonies? I still have some that have not broken ground yet. Neither of my "Kansas" has and they're supposed to be early. I do have many that have, however.

My earliest one is really moving along.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 11:17 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7634647

Hidden Springs was good to me. I first ordered the Early Scout with a shipping charge of $11.50 which was USPS priority mail. I later added the species fern leaf and they automatically deducted the separate charge for another shipment and just added the order to the first one. The fernies and scout do not have the large root system of the herbaceous but they came as advertised.

They, like Ensata Gardens with their irises, do not guarantee plant survival. It is up to the buyer to check their order prompty and report any problems. The guarantee is the items ordered will be of top quality when you receive it. Correct planting is left up to the buyer.

They appear to be a reliable source for species peonies where a lot of the other growers do not want to handle them. The price was reasonable. I paid $28.99 for the species fernie and $22.99 for the Early Scout. Plus shipping.

Actually, all my peonies are later than last year due the extended sub-freezing weather. Last year they began growing too quickly and were harmed by late freezes.

The grass is from 9-30-09 when I received the roots from HS.

Corrected Hidden Valley to Hidden Springs Flower Farms. I always have a mental block toward "hidden valley" for some unknown reason.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 9:40 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7634870

Steve, I have pips on all but one of my peonies. If your Kansas is like my Kansas, you will have a bit of a wait. In this pic of Mrs. FDR and Festiva Maxima, you'll see Kansas in the background, still in bud while the other two are blooming. It's this way every year. I was surprised, since it's supposed to be early, in the nature of many reds. And it breaks dormancy in a slower fashion than most of my others. I used to worry about it every year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7634976

Thanks Donna, for the reassurance!! That does make me feel better. BTW I just love that profile shot of your peonies - beautiful!!

Funny thing about "Hot Chocolate" - I bought it because Klehm claimed it was an early bloomer. It turned out to be one of my latest-blooming peonies. I bought more last fall at Hollingsworth who classified it as a "late", correctly. HMMM...

I wonder why the bloomtime descriptions so often are inaccurate?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7635195

I find that where I plant the peonies in my yard makes a huge difference in when they bloom. The ones that gets morning light mature and bloom earlier. The ones that doesn't get sunlight until late afternoon is always the slowest to bloom. A friend of mine sent me a box of peony roots from Minneapolis because he was redoing his yard. I planted these two where they get sun most of the day, and and shaded late afternoon. They are about a foot tall now.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7635197

This is from the same batch, planted where it doesn't get any sunlight til late afternoon. It is barely breaking ground. It will be very interesting to see how these transplants from the cold recesses of Minnesota does in the mild winters of Sacramento. I do hope they do well here because they are supposed to be reds, and I don't have any red peonies.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7635206

This is a photo from his yard before he dug them up. I hope to duplicate that in my yard in a few years...LoL. in reality, I will be thrilled if they just bloom for me.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #7635208

And lastly, here is an update of the two peonies that was posted at the start of this thread. Two weeks later, they are about 18 inches to 2 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7635211

A closer shot showing the buds. I roughly counted about 24 of them on this plant. It is a nymphe that I got from Costco three years ago.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7635963

You are very welcome, Steve! You always say the sweetest things about my yard - I love it.

Soils, what you say is interesting. I have a bunch of peonies in a bed on the southern side of my yard, and although there is no more than perhaps 20 feet between them, the ones further east bloom earlier (Kansas is a little further west). But if a peony REALLY blooms early (Burma Ruby) it doesn't seem to matter that it is on the north side of my yard and under a viburnum prunifolium and a cotinus 'Grace'. I'm really enjoying the pics of your developing peonies.

Steve, I have been using the Heartland Peony Society bloom sequence list, which can be viewed alphabetically or sequentially. I originally bought peonies utilizing it as a reference. I wanted, at the time, a long season of bloom.

http://www.peonies.org/bloom_dates_sorted.html

I also find it curious that, using Red Charm as 0, Festiva Maxima is supposed to bloom 3 days after Red Charm and Kansas 5, but as you can see in the photo FM was well ahead - and I put in FM and Kansas the same year.

Hum, indeed. I think that some of the sellers have figured out that some of us are after the early bloomers, so they stretch it a bit. It's nice having Burma Ruby - I used to have to wait for FM to bloom and now Burma jumps right out. Am I wrong, I think red peonies look better in the yard than they do in photos.

Donna

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7636459

I went to nursery to buy bamboo sticks today and guess what I saw. Tree Peony. Had to buy one. Hmmm. Other than they do not die back completely, do I need to know anything else about them? May be I will get flowers on them this year.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7636697

I suspect as far as the bloom sequence is concerned that those peonies were probably in the best spot i.e. minimum 6 hours sun/day and we maybe dont always have ours in the same locations

I too have been buying by bloom time the past couple of years, looking for early bloomers,
last year was 'first' year for some of the early ones and a very long cold spring so not sure yet how they will do. I buy mine from Lindsay D'Aoust and she just grades them by week which is handy.

This is the best I can do at the moment!

This is my old timer 'Aunt Pat'

Thumbnail by fancyvan

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7637112

Thanks for the info, Donna, I will check it out!!!! My Red Charms and FM's are both showing pips but neither very far along. My various "Burmas" are further along as is Paula Fay,and my Rasberry Charms and Cherry Charms are right up there just behind the two older Abalone Pearls in development. I don't really pay attention to sprouting times of new plantings since they're always skewed way off their nnormal timetables the first year.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7637917

Fancy,
Dating them by week is great - I've never heard of anyone doing that. I've been to her site before and the selection is unbelievable. I'll check out her dates.

Thanks.

Donna
turnesu
Bixby, OK

March 19, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7641338

My peonies have just started sprouting. I live in Oklahoma. I have a question for all the pro's. How is the best way to stake your peonies so that they will not fall over when they bloom? Thanks for any expert tips you may have. Susan
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7641407

Check the peony Hoop thread just below.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078595/
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7641548

All of mine are finally showing activity, even "Kansas" Yes~!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7642550

finally some red showing in my peony bed
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7642580

All right Steve!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7643650

not all of mine are up, but Big Ben is and a no id pink by my mailbox is.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7650726

One of my FL transplants from last fall.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7650729

I am so excited but a bunch of them are peeping out today, but not my Golden Shower yet...
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7650752

This is the one having something like 10 stems.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7650765

They are so cute - like little fluff balls.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7650913

that must be the fern peony. I don't think mine is out yet...
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7656268

Love your Fernies, OGR - thay all have little flower buttons in the middle.

My peonies are really shooting up now - everything seems to be moving. Lots of rain and cold and now it is nice again. Here is one of mine today

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7656310

Steve, Those are really healthy looking!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7656457

yeah, mine are no where that size yet, but many of them are peeping up. However, there are 2 I am anxious to see and they are not up yet. Garden Treasure and Merry Mayshine. I hope they are late bloomers. I don't think my Hot Chocolate are up either. And where did I plant my Kansas???
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7656966

I have 6 to 18 inches of growth on my peonies at last. Woo-Hoo!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7657065

I check and believe Garden Treasure is a late bloomer, so hopefully it is OK.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7659409

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will come up for you, too. It is always so sad when a plant doesn't make it - I planted two red charms this year, and I think one is a goner. The coral charm next to it is about a foot tall, and nothing from the red charm. Since it is in the same area, with same light and warmth, it should be up by now.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7659602

I planted a Pink Hawaiian Coral and it's up! So excited!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7659755

Congrats, BigRed!

Congratulations as well, Nicole! Do you have others you've already had in the ground for more than one year? What kind of bloom have you had? I wouldn't worry too much about Kansas as I think that as my last one to sprout - funny as I was thinking it was supposed to be an early. Donna set me straight on that one. Hot Chocolate I know is a late from my own experience so I would not worry about that one yet either.

Soils, sorry to hear about your Red Charm. Any ideas you might know of why it didn't make it? You're right; it should be up by now. I have several of them...a couple in their second year and more in their first year and all seem to have flowerbuds so i am excited. I planted two of them in 2008 and got beautiful flowers first year. I can see why it is one of the all-time most popular peonies.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7660828

I envy the folks having peonies beginning to bloom. Judging from last year, I am about 45 days from having flowers. Pic taken May 13, 09.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7661395

Hot Chocolate? I need to see a picture of that one.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7662817

Steve, I was out planting yesterday and saw that Hot Chocolate is peeping out. Now if only my yellow peony would. I have lot of no tag peonies because I didn't know better before I joined Dave's. I do know I have a Karl Rosenfield though and many no id pink peonies. I'll post photos when they bloom. Sometime I plant stuff thinking I will remember what I plant and then later going what is that.

Big Red, this will be my first year for the Hot Chocolate. Hope it will bloom but it was a large plant so it should. It looks burgandy to me. Steve could tell us for sure.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7663589

Oo-Oo! and I have yellow on my wishlist. Where's a good source to get these?

P
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7677627

I think this is my Hot Chocolate. But one of the stem is weirdly twisted upside down.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7678064

OGR, love your peony shot. Oh well, just know that when ours are finished yours are just getting started!

Congratulations,, Nicole - always exciting to see them first come up. Any buds yet? I am so happy in that all of mine year 2 and later and nearly all of the first year ones have at least one flowerbud. BTW see below for a picture of Hot Chocolate last year. This ended up being one of my latest blooming peonies. Still did well, even in the heat. Yes, I think burgundy is probably the closest color.

This is from 2008 because the pics I took during 2009 were when it was windy or raining so this one is better and best captures the color in the sun. Is darker in non-sun

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 9:22 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7678203

Steve, so pretty. Can not wait to see blooms. Many of the peonies are up! I have lots of buds on Merry Mayshine, I think 5 or 6. Also a no id one has about 7 buds on it. I can't tell if it's a Karl Rosenfield yet until it blooms. I am worried that my yellow peony has not shown any sign of green. Please please please. I wonder if Hollingsworth will replace if it doesn't sprout greens. I think all my other peonies from Hollingsworth are up.

Here is a pic of my Merry Mayshine!!!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7678250

That looks great, Nicole!

Regarding Hollingsworth, I actually visited their nusery last year and bought from them first time last fall on recommendation by Ticker (Diann). Their "nursery" is really just a typical family farm with a big white farmhouse and barn. Mr and Mrs Hollingsworth of course live there and they have two guys wgho run their nursery year round and I believe seasonal help during planting/harvesting. Really nice people and very down to earth. I would be surprised if they did not work with you but all you can do is ask.

I was really impressed with the roots I got from them as well - nearly every one has a bud - not bad for first-year plants. How many years have you had peonies? My oldest ones are about 4 years old and I planed them when I bought this house in fall 2006; I have added more every year and probably have about a hundred now. I have to be parient though and my hope is that in another few years I will have some big full plants like the ones our friends up north have!

I do have some of my very latest peonies JUST now coming up so you might want to wait a week till you get too worried. How deep do you plant yours? Mine have eyes right at or just below (1/4") surface.

In the foreground is Festiva Powder Puff that I got from Klehm about three falls ago. Got three blooms on it last year and including side buds I counted 15 this year!! Across the drive is my larger and earlier Abalone Pearl (also Klehm) in its 4th year and it has 10 buds - had six flowers last year.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7678252

Here is a closeup of some of the buds on FPP

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7678436

Steve, 15 on one plant!!! I can not believe it. Oh, how I envy you.

So far, all the peonies I bought from Hollingsworth have sprouted, except 2. One of them is a farmstead. I've seen a few with buds on them already but many of them just came up and their leaves are just unfurling. I've had a few peonies for about 3-4 years now. Originally, my MIL had a huge one at her mailbox and every year in May she and my FIL would travel so I could come over and cut ALL the flowers to enjoy. One year, I hosted a party at my house and I had 3 vases full of peonies. They were incredible! And I killed ants for days!!! When my in-laws moved away, they let me dig some of it out. It was humongous and I could not get the whole thing out. That was the beginning of my love for peony. Now, I have a list of peonies that I want!

Many of my peonies bought before last year were small ones bought from wally world or some place that just gets those small plants. Hollingsworth sent huge plants with at least 3 eyes or more. I think my neighbor got a Bartzella from Hollingsworth with 6 eyes on it!!! Anyway, those no name peonies are now well over 3 or 4 years and they've bloomed for me last year. I have them all over the yard now. I am growing peonies instead of azalea (which is the staple of spring flowers in the south).

Anyway, I am just anxious because one it's a yellow peony and 2 I paid alot of money for it. As long as it comes up green, I'm good. It doesn't have to bloom this year - just so I'll know it's not dead.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7678441

oh, anyone has experience with Pink Hawaiian Coral? It seems kind of wimpy and it may need staking.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7678838

'Pink Hawaiian Coral' is one of my favorites. I have had it for 8 years and it is just gorgeous. The stems are strong for me and I recommend it to everyone I know. Lol. If your plant is newer, in the first couple of years, then perhaps you aren't seeing its robust beauty...give it time...it's a beauty. It has never needed staking.

If you decide you hate it, just send it along to me ;)

Good to see the peony show underway. It's a great way to announce spring. Steve your place, as always, is just striking.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7679034

Why thanks Tracey - except your place is striking - I have seen the pictures! Especially during lily season. And now you need to post your peony pics this year since I know you have many - but Magnolia is so modest...and Tracey didn't you post a PHC last year? It was BEAUTIFUL - perhaps you should share the picture with Lili.

Nicole, that is great to hear. Sounds like you have had some good success then. Before I bought this house I had another place for about six years and also bought my first peonies at Home Depot or Lowes I think. Small plants as you state and took several more years to develop size or bloom. In fact would sometimes take three or more years to do what a first-year plant from Adelman, Hollingsworth or Klehm can do. They do cost more but are oh so worth it. You have to be careful - peonies are not that widely grown in the south (nothing like up north) and I saw some at Home Deport a few weeks ago in the display case. I definitely would not recomment spring planting HERE.

I have some Azaleas but they have not done that well due to our alkaline soil - even amending it to increase acidity has generated just-OK results for me. I have had really good luck with peonies though for some reason.

I am branching out more to try different peony types. Usually I depend on the singles or Japanese peonies as they do well in the south, even if considered "late" bloomers - the late doubles especially can get burnt in the heat which starts to arrive here in May though depends on the year. However, I am much more knowledgeable now than I used to be and have found there are some really nice early or early midseason doubles that do well here, so I get the best of both worlds.

I know I was a little miffed because Klehm stated Hot Chocolate was an early bloomer and Hollingsworth stated it was a late bloomer when i saw they carried it a couple of years later - I bought from Klehm based on that and sure enough was a very late bloomer as Hollingsworth had stated. But to my surprise it bloomed well into May with no issues and looked great. I had to have more and Klehm will often skip a year offering something to replenish stock I think so I bought more from Hollingsworth last fall...two of the three new ones have buds this year.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 10:25 AM
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7679225

One of my new Abalone Pearls ready to bloom

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7679820

Same flower, now opened

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7679928

Steve, love the peony. I'll be happy when mine bloom, probably not til next year. Darn!!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7680579

Beautiful, Steve. I remember being surprised last year that your herbaceous peonies bloomed so much earlier than mine.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7681232

Oh Steve, love that Abalone Pearl! You have more than one?
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7682568

Thanks Marti, Soils, and Donna...

Yes soils, it is strange in that your tree peonies seem to bloom first but my herbaceous ones do. Unfortunately I am a little sad in that my "High Noon" which produced two blooms last year is not going to bloom this year (last spring was its first) - and neither are any of my other tree peonies. My Bartzella Itoh hybrid is also not going to bloom (produced two flowers last year which was also its first). On the other hand, my "Garden Treasure" Itoh has two buds on it; this spring is its first.

On the OTHER hand, virtually every herbaceous peony I have (probably near 100) has buds on it and all of those planted 2008 and prior have multiple flowers coming. Maybe tree peonies and those with TP heritage are more finicky?

Yes Donna - I have three or four - want one for that empty spot you have?? :-)

Here is "Fuscia Jazz" this evening

This message was edited Apr 5, 2010 7:38 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7682597

I think this is Early Scout...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7682605

And here are the Early Scouts I accidentally planted about three years ago on top of my Sir Winston Churchill daffs that I forgot were down there...they produced about three blooms last year and I counted six this year. Don't have the heart to dig them up and move them.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7682614

Tom Cat really coming along - planted three years ago. Foliage died off early first year and I thought these were goners, I got seven flowers between these plants last year, and will easily get double or more than that this year.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7682621

Hey I wouldn't turn down one either. I only have three right now. One of them was surposed to have 2 in the package, but there were actually 4 in it. One is very small and will need a couple of years to grow up. The other three are doing great and growing taller everyday.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7682641

OK marti D-mail me your address and I will gladly send you a couple peonies next fall.

Here is my new side bed - will be exciting to see how everything will look when it fills out. I had a narrow bed in place where the tulips are but I expanded it around the cherry tree this past fall.

I am HAPPY to say the tulips in the picture actually returned for me from 2008 planting!!! :-) Yes that is a big feat down south, LOL

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7682656

Here is my "old" four-year front bed - now have lilies really shooting up in addition to the peony and narcissus still in bloom.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7682665

One of my two "Veteran" Hot Chocolates.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 5, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7682691

I don't know if it will work but one of the old Brent & Becky's catalogs mentions planting tulips deeper than normal to have them return. You can always try the specie tulips.

Tom Cat has the problem of retiring earlier than some of the other peonies. Interesting that your tree peonies bloom later than the rest. Last year my latest bloom was a tree peony. I am interested to see if other southern growers have similar bloom periods.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7682784

Steve - nearly 100? puts my 20 to shame LoL.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7682810

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your 'High Noon' - was it this wierd winter weather?

Mine got buried in snowdrifts in December before I could clean the leaves off of it, until early March when it finally melted, I had to prune a lot of dead wood and broken branches, and its shrunk a good foot in height, but lots of new growth coming out, so should be some blooms from the lower branches at least. My herbaceous peonies (Festiva maxima and Kansas I believe) are growing well, the plant on the south side has already reached the support hoop.

Richard

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7682823

LOL soils it started in jealousy - see I am from IL and I missed growing all of the things I used to see and take for granted up north. Then I encountered peoplle like Ticker, Donna, Magnolia, Maxine, etc from my old neck of the woods and I wanted what they had. So now that I have found I can be successful I am overcompensating heheh

ah3815, true, I have read the same thing about tulips - I do plant mine deep - and also I make sure the spot is well drained and stays dry in summer. THAT seems to have a big impact.

I have one small patch of tulips near one of my peonies that has been returning for four years now (those pictured), and some small clumps here and there two or three years. We had a cold winter this year which i am sure helps. As a rule I do not expect good return so when I get it I am thrilled.

Nearly all of my tulips are Single Lates

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7682833

It must have been, Richard - well there is always next year. And sorry to hear about your damaged tree peonies. I always thought the herbaceous ones would be tougher to grow but not so. Be sure to post yours when they bloom!
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 5, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7683028

Other than removing any leaf material on the tree peonies I leave the pruning until about this time of the year. Occasionally what appears dead is not but more importantly if there is dead wood the deer will think the rest is also dead and not bother the rest of the plant. On the tp's that grow from the tip rather than putting up side shoots I leave last fall's leaf stems as a crown for the same reason.

Once I realized this I have had less problem with deer destroying the next years growth. Of course I have had fawns wander through tasting every plant so nothing is fool proof.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7683043

It appears that tree peonies seem to do better in places where the winter is not so harsh??? I have had good luck with all of my regular tree peonies so far - I have about 5 varieties and they have bloomed every year. The only casualty I had was when I tried to move a gorgeous red one from the rear of the planter to closer to the front where it can be better seen - I ended up killing it instead. I purchased my first intersectional peony - Singing in the Rain - this year, so it will be interesting to see how that does.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7684039

Have to make a comment as I lurk here: my aunt in Hermiston OR had two beautiful tree peonies I coveted...I just spent 10 days with her and she had had them removed & tossed!!!!! said she didn't like them after all 'cause the blossoms were down inside the plants, didn't stand out...I would've come & dug them myself if I'd known...never enough peonies in my yard...NEVER!!!! Deb
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7684716

Those poor peonies!!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7684807

Wow Steve - lilies narcissi, tulips and peonies all in bloom at once. It looks glorious - and you must be in heaven. It is so wonderful watching you start from scratch, with that big empty canvas. It's as though we are seeing your dreams (that's what my garden is to me, anyway, so maybe I'm projecting) and what I see is a fabulous person who takes a big old bite out of life.

Can I be you when I grow up?

Donna
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7684933

Beginning babies - Lois, courtesy of Stevie. (Remind me to get that weed!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7684940

Mrs. FDR, Cornelia Shaylor, chionodoxa sardensis and tiny lilium regale album.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2010 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7685299

I think you must be right, soils - we did have a harsh winter also (for us) but nothing like what many of those up north get. I think our lowest temp was 11 or 12.

I agree about the poor tree peonies - I can hardly bring myself to dig up/throw away ANYthing, even if I don't like it. I guess I can make a bed for orphans that need to be moved.

Aww Donna, thanks for the kind words - but you're quite a sweetheart yourself. I agree you can see a lot in a person by how he/she gardens :-) BTW I love your photos - and especially the last one - that time when everything first starts coming up is magical.

Here is my last-fall-planted "Cream Puff" which opened today - got it from Adelman last fall after I saw how much I loved the one I planted year prior (it has 4 or 5 buds and I can't ait for it to bloom as well!)

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7685377

Oh really nice, Stevie!:)
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7685389

Thanks Diann! Where the heck ya been? :-)
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7685392

Oh here and there, mostly there... :) LOL
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7685520

Cream Puff is gorgeous. And reading back through this forum, did I see an offer for Abalone Pearl? OOOOHHH!

Diann, we miss you.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7685725

Soilsandup,

This winter was a bad one, and a long one. From right after Thanksgiving until the beginning of March, we did not get a break from it. Never had to prune so much off the TP since I dug it up and rebuilt the retaining wall around its bed. Also had to prune back clematis vines that had covered my arch in the backyard, nothing higher than 4 inches above the ground survived.

Correction - after the big April freeze in 2007, I had to prune out about half the TP, but not only did it put out new growth, I even got a couple late flowers. This doesn't look half as bad as that did.

Richard
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7685792

From your descriptions, it was a brutal winter in many parts of the United States. I thought it was bad when we had 3-4 days of 24-25 degree nights, but that must have been a "warm" spell for you. I am glad you all pull through the winter OK and hope that spring is just around the corner for you.

Dianne
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7686230

Ohhhh, 'Cream Puff' sure is nice :-) Steve, very nice.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7686540

Soils, 24 - 25 during the day in the middle of January is considered a heat wave in Iowa. :) LOL
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7688175

Steve, impressive front flowerbed. I am jealous you have blooms already. The peonies that I've had in the past usually blooms in May, always 1st or 2nd week in May and last about 2-3 weeks. Then they are all gone. I will have to note to see if I have early bloomers.

I bought a Kinshi peony tree this year. There is a purple one too but I'm trying to find constraint.

The problem I have with tulips in my yard is that the squirrel digs them out...

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 10:58 PM

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7688236

soilsandup

we would have LOVED to get 25 degree days this winter! Anytime the weather forecast anything near 30 degrees, we told ourselves "we'll believe it when we see it."
March came and a switch flipped, in a week we went from feet of snow to mud puddles, right now daffodils and forsythia are going wild, magnolias are starting to open, and trees are budding out everywhere.

On a related, peony-based issue, does anyone know where I can find the old variety 'Nebraska'? I found one place in Canada, but the Garden Watchdog gave them mixed marks.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7688263

What company in Canada?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7688788

I'll bet I know.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/209/

The Peony Garden aka the Franklin Nursery Peony Superstore. He advertises peonies that are very hard to find. There are very mixed reviews there, but I have to tell you, I ordered three when I was starting out and two of them are the most incredible I've ever seen - Mrs. FDR and Cornelia Shaylor. One of the two had seven eyes, the other five, and they bloomed the spring after installation. The 3rd was Pfeiffer's Red Triumph, which is impossible to find, and it was a small root, which I buried much too deeply. After 3 years I dug it up and it was alive but I realized I'd blown it, so gave up on it, which I shouldn't have.

Here is Cornelia Shaylor last year.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2010 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7688808

Mrs. FDR last year - Cornelia in the background.
They were the first peonies to need staking because of their enormous size, and they were not the first peonies I had ordered - it was the second year. And I found dealing with him really easy. I remember talking to him on the telephone.

So, my take is that you are dealing with a consolidator, and if you want older peonies you are going to get big honking ones. If he is the only source for a peony you might get a smaller root. And I had no guidance from this forum, or Pfeiffer would probably be out there blooming now. But honestly, I am so happy that I ordered these from him.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7688848

I have ordered from Ken(Peony Garden)in the past - incidentally looking at Garden Watchdog most of the reviews are positive. I dont know how many of the peonies he advertises he actually grows, just not possible that he has them all- musy be brokering for other growers.
The roots I received from him have been fine although consistently somewhat smaller than I get from other growers. In addition I have been able to get novelty peonies from him that others have not carried. It is possible that the roots of hard to find peonies are smaller exactly for that reason - not many around so only smaller roots available.

I would go ahead and order from him if he is the only one who has what you want!

DonnaMack never give up on a peony! LOL!
Those peonies are gorgeous!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7688870

Fancy, you're the best. And I agree with you.

Donna
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 8, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7689252

The owner of Peony Garden, Ken Clare, passed away. I think last year so new management.

Most peony growers are consolidators if you want to know the actual truth. They would not be able to provide plants that originated at another grower if they did not.

Have wondered if any of the members in the South are planing on doing in hybridizing. It would be a good method of developing peonies that are happier in warmer environments. Even if you have a no name aunt jane's peony if it is happy with you a cross with another peony could make for an even hardier peony.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7689388

Do we know who the new management is at Peony Garden?
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 8, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7689441

I am not certain. I went to their website and the header stated Ken Clare passed away in 2008 not 2009. I will snoop around to see if anyone knows.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7689943

I am so sorry to hear that. The message that he passed away is from his son, and it is addressed to all past, present and future customers.

As you can see from the above, I liked working with him and am sad that I will not have the opportunity to buy more from him.

Donna
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 8, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7689998

I received the following message

"His son mike clare did take over the farm."
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7690003

Excellent!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7691087

Going back to your Mrs. FDR Donna, that is beautiful. Another one to add to my to get list. And another few square feet of lawn to dig up.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7691196

Soils, I would really encourage you to acquire Mrs. FDR. It's fun in that it completely changes shape. First the flowers are tightly curled, then they bloom, then they fluff out. It is easy and floriferous and scented. And because (although I personally have never seen it in anyone's yard) it is in good distribution, your chances of getting a plant with multiple eyes at a reasonable price are probably decent, although I have noticed that the oldies but goodies are shooting up in price.

Donna
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7691256

Donna, those are wickedly beautiful. I don't think I have seen a peony with such a high density of blooms as yours; they're so fluffy and light. Love them both and especially FDR.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7691406

Wickedly! I like that.

I just love gardening. It's one of the few things in life in which there is (despite voles, rabbits, deer and japanese beetles) some correspondence between what you put into it and what you get out of it. It's such a shock to walk out during peony season and look at these lovely things and say to yourself, I did that? I love roses too, especially old garden ones, but peonies require so little effort for the beauty they provide.

Thank you. Praise from the Master is praise indeed!

Donna

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7693697

I'll look into it for this summer's order

The new growth on the tree peony has expanded enough to see buds, counted 15 flower buds so far

Richard
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 10, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7694609

Update on Clare's nursery I have been told that the stock has been relocated, address lost. If you have been to the location and find everything gone contact Mike Clare for the new location.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7694682

The page I bookmarked is still there, so far so good.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 10, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7695234

I have my first bloom. It normally blooms around March 27 but is late this year. It was even late coming up.

"Paeonia coriacea"

I have no way of posting pictures with my pc so think of a blueish pink cup. The leave emerge from the ground as a goblet shape then unfold. I received as an auction plant from Don Smith the hybridizer not the one in Kentucky.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7695383

"America" today...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7695393

This is my three-year old Festiva Powder Puff. I got three flowers on it last year and counted 17 buds today!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7695843

wow, that is impressive.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7696403

Steve, your America just pops! Ah, congratulations. And Steve, 17 buds on a three year old. Is it lots of love, or something in the water?

I notice that my old fashioned peonies seem to be really happy in the soil, which is clay based, and so nutrient dense, but heavily amended with compost.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7696732

Couldn't find a good place to post this and did not want to start a new thread but you all might be interested.
Yesterday I was working at the Peony Society booth at the Hor. Society's 2 day garden show.
In the booth there was a huge container of very long pale stems. There is a fellow living here who has been growing herbacious peony from seed , he also specialised in tree peonies that will grow in this zone. Apparently he is moving and has to down size his plants. He had this huge plastic cart in his garage in which he had planted seed 3 years ago.- herbacious type.Because they didnt get enough light the stems are very long and very white! However he donated it to the Peony Society to sell the roots at the show as a fund raiser. We had a fun afternoon digging in the dirt and getting roots seperated out and bagged for people to buy for 4%. Or a free one if they took out a membership.

The neat thing is nobody knows what they will look like! no idea of color, size, except we are told they are herbacious. But apparently they dont come true from the seed. Wish we had given everybody who bought one a card to let us know what colr they turned out to be!

This is one I brought home yesterday, must have about 8 eyes on it. Some roots come out with no stem and just a single eye but we bag them up and tell people to plant them anyway!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #7696858

How cool! Can't wait to see them next year. On a happy note, my yellow peony is sprouting up. Yeah!!! Went out of town for a week and came home with things growing gangbuster!!!

Here is the latest photo of my Merry Mayshine. So excited!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7696908

Well Donna your peonies ALWAYS look perfect and a model for what I want mine to be like when they grow up :-)

Lili, congratulations! Your "Merry Mayshine" is looking great ;-)

Fancy, will be interesting to see what happens as your rescued peony comes along ;-)
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7696941

This is "Dawn Glow" - none of my Hollingsworth bonuses. I bought 8 peonies from them (well one was a kind f expensive Itoh) but they sent me 6 bonus plants! I think this is really kind of cool looking...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 11, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7697166

If you want another one that is similar try Athena. One draw back for some is that Athena's blooms will vary in different soil conditions and from year to year. Which for me makes it very interesting because I never know what it will look like this year.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7697244

Steve, you are so funny!

Well, they certainly gave those bonuses to the right person. Not only do you have room, but the enthusiasm necessary to take care of all those orphans that have found a home.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7697355

Steve, that Dawn Glow is so pretty. Have to add it to my 'list'. :)
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7697520

ah, you know it is interesting that you mention "Athena" because while I do not have that one, I have seen it pictured and was JUST thinking when I saw this how much it resembled Athena! Good to hear the confirmation on the similarity.

Aww thanks Donna - you are so sweet LOL.

Thanks Nicole, I love it as well and another I am far more impressed with than I thought I would be is "America" - I am visualizing a large bush covered with those huge red blossoms.

My 4-yeal old Abalone Pearl is starting to bloom today...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7697527

Here is a closeup of one of the blooms

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7697549

Steve, beautiful flower. I wish my peonies were going to bloom this year, but have to wait til next year. Keep posting pictures so at least I can enjoy seeing all the beautiful blooms.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7697977

What a stunner! I'm looking forward to mine. The ones I installed last year are showing strong new growth. It's nuts out there. My yoshino cherry popped into bloom. Last year was an off year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7700649

Thank Marti!!

Donna, your cherry tree is gorgeous! I have some cherries but mine are not at the stage yours are in terms of maturity/beauty. I think mine might be another kind as well - Kwanzai maybe?
More on my Abalone Pearl bush in bloom ...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2010

Post #7700686

Lovely Steve- I think that one will go on my 2011 list!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2010

Post #7700689

Oh my god, be still my beating heart! I might have to get that one this fall. :) Nice Stevie!! Very nice!!
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7700709

Well, you have read my mind fancy and Ticker, 'Abalone Pearl' is a must have. Steve, it looks perfect!
RrrrrGrrrr
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7700744

Sounds like a broken record, but I'll add "Abalone Pearl" to my list too.. I'm new to herbaceous peonies. I have "Bowl Of Beauty" in the front yard, new addition this spring.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7701074

Bowl of Beauty is a nice peony. :) Good choice. :) Now, step this way and we'll get you addicted to more... :) Yes, we will. :)
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 12, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7701117

It fades nicely also.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7701145

Hah! I was offered Bowl of Beauty last year, somebody wanted to get rid of their peonies ( just a couple- I think the other was Festiva Maxima which I have) and guess what I refused it because I had 4 on order plus was rescueing several!

See I cant order too many each year because I have to keep creating the space and I can't expand the beds! LOL!

Give me 10 years and I wont have anything much but peonies!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7702389

Steve, talk about perfect! Your Abalone Pearl is just wonderful. It's so great - your natural eye is different from mine and leads me to exquisite peonies I would not have noticed if I didn't see how glorious they are in your yard.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7705202

Well thank you all for the nice words! It DOES look good when it opens - and actually is holiding its color pretty well this year. Only think I do not like about Abalone Pearl is that it fades badly to white very quickly after open, in just a few days. Maybe not so much for you all since your sun is not so intense as here -althougyh RrrrGrrr you may have the same problem I do with it since we're at a similar latitude! :-(

Donna, that is the cool thing about DG - we get to see each others' perspectives and a new "eye' so to speak on gardening...and it makes me realize just how much more accomplished many are than I am in terms of form, planning, layout, etc. I have so much to take in and learn!! I am not a patient gardener and tend to throw things in the first available patch without as much thought as I should give as to how everything will look down the road. I call my style "haphazard", LOL.

I agree on Bowl of Beauty - what a nice peony!

"Do Tell" today...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7705206

Burma Joy

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7705210

My back yard year 2 Abalone Pearl

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7705211

Cherry Charm

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7705216

My year 2 Paula Fay

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7705319

I like the Cherry Charm to contrast with the huge pink and whites of the doubles. It really stands out but works with the Abalone Pearl. Goodbye more grass.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7705349

Be still my heart! Those are drop dead gorgeous and must make one stop when you see them I know that it would be me.
Think a few more made it on my list, now to find a place to put them.

Maxine
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7705458

You guys are really unfair!!! I keep looking at the pictures and going "I got to have that one!" With a half acre to plant I finding more peonies that I want.

Marti

PS: Keep posting those pictures. I love them and it gives me good ideas as to which ones to get.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7706218

half acres is not bad. I think I have less and I have plenty of peonies.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7706973

Well, I was surposed to have an acre to plant, but my sister has deeded the 1/2 acre next door to her daughter who is planning on moving a trailer on it this summer and moving in. So she said MAYBE she will let me plant some over there, but can't do anything till shes moved in and decides to let me. OH WELL!
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 15, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7708716

From experience do not plant anything on her area. There is deep heart break from coming home and finding things wiped out because they did not suit the other person. Happened not in my garden but my kitchen when hubby, who is normally not an idiot, allowed his daughter to redo my kitchen while I was at work.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2010

Post #7708740

I don't plan on planting anything over there until at least next year. And my niece says she'll have to approve anything I plant. If I know her the yard will stay weeds and grass. But I'm happy getting my half acre ready and planning what to put where.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7710070

Steve, it's not haphazard - it's exuberant! You've taught me a lot, since I tend to be anal and a bit overordered.

Mine are coming along. Festiva Maxima.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7710073

Cornelia Shaylor and Mrs. FDR, and peeking out, Lady Alexandra Duff.

I also have lilium regale, alliums and various tulips, as well as a purple salvia I grew from seed.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7710382

ah, I had to laugh - I know it's not funny to you, but I can't believe someone would mess with a woman's kitchen! Kind of cracked me up thinking about your reaction and what they must have been thinking.

Well thanks all. Maxine I am glad you are finally becoming a convert to some of the singles. Not only do they provide great contrast to the doubles, they stand up a lot better to bad weather.

Donna, your peonies are looking wonderful. I am hoping for mine to be so full one day. I am glad everything is finally shooting up for you!

I think this is "Top Hat" by elimination of everything else. Definitely a Hollinsworth peony from the green tag but the lettering has worn off. Very pretty at any rate!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7710744

Oh, Steve, I love it! It looks like White Cap's first cousin. I installed fall before last and actually got a flower last year. It really shot out of the ground this year and I am looking forward to showing it to you. My peonies are looking really healthy and I am thrilled with them.

And wow, ah - did your hubbie understand that he was taking his lfe in his hands?!!!

Gotta show you this. Look carefully and you will see Festiva Maxima in the company of recycled tulips under a stem of Constance Spry. I think CS is going to have to be pruned in the future.

So much for tidiness! It's going to be quite a party there.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 16, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7711804

Hubby still thinks his daughter did a great job. On his daughter he is dense. How any person that loves cookbooks could actually put them on wire shelves is beyond me. Now part of them are on nicely finished wooden shelves. I have too many cooking books for just the one bookcase even if it is 91 inches tall and almost scrapes the ceiling.

I just brought this up as an example of what Marti planted on the 1/2 acre that was not hers and she came home to find her sister had moved or tore things out because it was not her style.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7714031

With everyone's peonies coming in fast and furious, it is time to start a new thread...Especially since Steve has over 100 peonies, and he has only posted around 10 of them. Please join us here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1088683/
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7714088

Thanks soils!! But I don't have 100 varieties - I have a hundred or more individual plants, with multiples of each variety. But I still have not posted most so thanks for the new thread! Couldn't take pictures today because it's been raining non-stop since Friday afternoon :-( Next week should be a big bloom-week assuming the weather clears up.

:-)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7721769

Question?

Found someone who has a peony in their front yard. They say its a white one, they do not know the name but if I want to they will let me dig some of it up. It takes up about a 3 foot round area. When can I go in and cut out of section?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7721917

August/September
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7722059

Unless of course the question is now or never...like with my moving neighbor...and in that case the answer would be Now! Lol.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7723294

NOT FAIR! I'm still weeks away from open blooms ...but my tree peony did bloom...ONE bloom and it's about 6-7 yrs old from seed.

Thumbnail by bigred

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7729423

August/Sept. I'll remember that. No the people are not moving so I have time to wait. The lady has just stopped doing anything with her yard and all the plants are becoming over grown, so she said I can help myself. She also has Iris that are now growing thru the fence into her neighbors yard and into her lawn. So I get to remove them too. Have no idea of the color but they are all budded up and I will take pictures.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 23, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7730480

Late June - July is time to transplant iris.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America