Sad accident at our place

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Two days ago Glory somehow got her "break away" halter hung in her hay rack/manger and pulled the manger apart. The halter did not break. Part of the manger stuck her in the right eye. We rushed her to the vet but there was nothing he could do to save the eye. I have to wash it out 2x a day and put ointment in it. She is also getting penicilin shots for a week. I asked the vet about pain meds and he said she had likely destroyed the sensitive areas and was not in any pain. She is eating very well and is just a bit subdued. I hate it for her. Thankfully she is very easy to handle. Had it been Shaq, I'd have had to put him down. It's almost impossible to do any kind of doctoring on him without heavy tranquilizers. We will have to wait and see how it affects her riding.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Is her other eye still good? Glad it wasn't worse but sad that she lost her vision in her other eye. :~(

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes. Her left eye is fine. If her right eye is closed you can't tell anything happened. Not a scatch on her face.

South Hamilton, MA

Best of luck to both you & glory.

Medina, OH

What a rough time! Glad she is a good patient and in no pain. Nonetheless, hope you all recover from this trauma ASAP. Susan

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. It means a lot to have friends who understand. We are devastated. DH still cries when he looks at her. So glad she is in no pain.

South Hamilton, MA

I think humans are bothered by the horses' problems more that they are as long as no pain. It is still a tough thing to take.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Moving has been so hard on all of us. Spring cannot come too soon.

Medina, OH

Have to agree with Iris. It is easy to personify. Just one more way we show how much we love them. Cajun, as you take such good care of Glory, don't forget to take care of yourself. Stress is our enemy!!! S.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I'm so sorry to read about this accident. They find ways to hurt themselves that we just don't emagine. I'm glad she is easy to doctor. You may have to be a bit more watchfull on the blind side when you ride her. She will learn to compensate for depth perception and things like that, but you'll probably have to look for branches and things on that side. I know of a one eyed horse who does endurance.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have high hopes for her. She is a sweet horse and very stylish.

South Hamilton, MA

With her comfortable gait she may like endurance? However will need help if she is already not too fond of trails.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

She liked the trail work she was just lazy at it. I'm hoping this will force her to be more careful. She is a very comfortable ride.

South Hamilton, MA

I'm sure that she has confidence in you.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't have a lot of confidence in myself anymore and it makes me sad. My legs are getting weaker so I haven't ridden in a while. I hate to admit it but I think I may actually be afraid to ride. How sad is that? I will not have a problem riding Godiva or Coffee but the others make me a bit uneasy. Especially Shaq. And it's not his fault. This one is all me. Maybe after I start riding again I will get confident. I hope so. Riding gives me such joy.

South Hamilton, MA

If the horse has confidence it may help. I know you can't do shaq--sad.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry to hear of Glory's accident and hope for healing for her and more strength for you, Cajun. Hopefully spring will bring new life to all of us who love the outdoors.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Spring cannot come too quickly. This extended cold is very hard on me as i am sure it is on others too. I think the stress of it all is the worst part. Just so draining.

Medina, OH

Cajun-You have Dmail. S.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Update please..... ;~}

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Glory is doing great. Her eye has healed. Of course you can tell there is a problem with the eye and she has no sight in it but it doesn't look too bad. Not disfiguring. She is still on the tie line and we tie her out in different spots to graze. We don't have a big enough spot to turn her loose in. I know she is going to run and buck and I don't want her to run into something she can't see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images