Photo by Melody

Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics: Bluebirds

Communities > Forums > Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics
bookmark
Forum: Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox BasicsReplies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fotofashion
Dayton, TX

March 1, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7597073

Where I live, we are privileged to have a small, resident flock of bluebirds. I often see them flying together and, indeed, it is a sight that anyone would enjoy. Our neighborhood is heavily wooded and there are areas where no one lives as yet so it appears the birds can find natural nesting sites. There is a small lake at the end of the street, too. Other than, perhaps, provide water close by, what else can I do to encourage them?
fotofashion

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7597110

Nesting location and water seem to be the largest attractors.

Even though you have a lake nearby, provide a shallow water feature in your yard as well; spots from which birds may perch and perhaps you may also feed them some mealworms and/or suet as indicated on the Sialis site.

gazergirl
Mandeville, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7598769

Fotofashion, I have to tell you my experience. We just moved to an area that had existing Bluebirds. I had had feeders up for a consideable time, but after I started making my own "feeder mix", the Bluebirds finally began feeding at the feeders. I think it was the peanuts. Anyway, the house we bought had an old bird bath which I cleaned out and added fresh water to. Within 15 minutes, the Bluebirds had found the fresh water and were taking a bath. It was very gratifying to do something as simple as cleaning out a bird bath, and to see how much it was appreciated by the birds. We are also on a golf course with water, and nearby a local river. But still, the bird bath rules.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article GranvilleSouth 10 Mar 1, 2010 1:25 PM
BLUEBIRDS docgipe 23 Mar 3, 2010 11:59 PM
pill bugs Orrdavis 1 May 20, 2008 3:21 AM
Wasps in Bird Houses TeeAnny 2 May 24, 2008 3:02 AM
Eastern Bluebirds digger114 0 Mar 1, 2010 6:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America