Photo by Melody

Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics: hanging baffles

Communities > Forums > Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics
bookmark
Forum: Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox BasicsReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lancemg
Aylett, VA

March 1, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7597426

Good article, and plenty thorough enough. I have an easy and very effective system for hanging baffles. First, get two nails at least 2 inches in length, and bend these to form a right angle. Place the nails on opposite sides of the mounting pole at the height you want the baffle to hang, about a foot below the box. Attach the nails to the post with a hose clamp, which then creates a sturdy but wobbly hangar for the baffle. Then, place the baffle over the top of the nails, and the wobbling motion will deter just about any critter. And if you size the hole in the baffle just right to fit over the pole, even snakes will not be able to climb the pole. I have used a variety of baffles, including stove pipe and even an old satellite dish with a hole drilled in the middle, and this system has yet to see a critter get past it. Just make sure the baffle is large and high enough so nothing can jump around it.
And as mentioned in the article, cats can be a problem, so I would be remiss if I did not strongly encourage cats to be left inside. I had a cat trained to walk on leash, and it worked out well for both of us. Check out http://www.abcbirds.org/ for more information on bird conservation, including keeping cats and birds in harmony.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7597450

Good information!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article GranvilleSouth 10 Mar 1, 2010 1:25 PM
BLUEBIRDS docgipe 23 Mar 3, 2010 11:59 PM
pill bugs Orrdavis 1 May 20, 2008 3:21 AM
Wasps in Bird Houses TeeAnny 2 May 24, 2008 3:02 AM
Bluebirds fotofashion 2 Mar 2, 2010 5:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America