Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Winter Sowing - 2010 - things rolling right a long #3

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 243, Views: 1,913
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7597690

The last thread was getting so long, so let's continue here.

This is where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073093/

I have Sweet Peas making an appearance in their jugs!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slopesower
Running Springs, CA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7597745

Darn, I posted on the last thread while you were making the transfer. But, thanks because that one was too long.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7597747

No problem!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7597781

Is the any Salvia that is a perennial for zone 5? I WSed some Salvia Firecracker because I was so sure it was a perennial. Today I read that is an annual for my zone.
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
11:43 PM

Post #7597924

There are lots of Salvia varieties that are hardy for your zone - no red red ones though. May night is the most popular, it's a deep blue - there are lots of blue varieties like Marcus, East Freisland, Blue Hill & Blue Queen, then there is Rose Queen which is pink and Snow Queen is white.

Furman's Red & Wild Thing are some red ones that MIGHT work for you if you have a spot that's hot, dry & sunny where you could push the zone a bit.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 2, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7599291

Oh, before I forget, thanks Steph, for answering my question about nicking seeds before sowing. Now, I want to know if I'm being impatient? I planted alstromeria, echinaceas, shastas and candy lily about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I don't see any sprouts yet. I watered the soil (MG potting mix) well before planting, but it rained heavily 2 days later. Is it possible that the seeds rotted from being too wet? Or am I being an anxious neebie?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7599410

I think you're being anxious. Remember some of those seeds need warmth, which is in short supply for most of us at the moment. Their time will come, however, so don't fret.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7599450

Deebie... my first year, i followed the "seed packet" directions and nicked and soaked certain seeds... all the ones i did that too, and WS'ed they ALL rotted. So i wont make that mistake again.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 2, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7599463

Thanks for the reassurance, Steph. And thanks for the warning tcs1366.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7599504

Ok, where's Karen?

All my tomato seedlings have a 2nd set of true leaves as of today! I was wondering at first if any would survive, cause I had a bout with some damping off, but last count put me at 75 heirloom seedlings to grow, sell, or share!

QUESTION: Do I pot them up to 16 oz. cups at this point, or plant straight out into the EBs/eBuckets? I believe the answer was straight to the garden, cause they won't need hardening off since they've been outside all along. Just wanna be sure.

If "straight to the garden" is the answer, then I am RIGHT ON TRACK for my Spring planting schedule. I never would've believed it. And I know that even though the seedlings are still pretty small, they'll catch up in no time once they're planted in their new homes.

They're all long-season indeterminates that need at least 80-90 days to fruit, and if I can put them out this weekend, I should be harvesting in mid-June, which is right on target!

LMK, guys!

Thanks,

Linda

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7599876

They won't need hardening off, but if you plant directly to your planters, plant them deep so you can add dirt as they grow up. Otherwise, plant them in 16 oz cups way down at the bottom so you can add dirt to build the root system.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7600137

Second variety of Sweet Peas are starting to poke up!! Woot! Now if my herbs and tomatoes would just sprout, I'd be soooooooooooooooo happy!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7601150

I am so excited for all of you who are getting sprouts. I can hardly wait. We had a little sun today which made me anxious for spring. I have some gaillardia seeds that I cannot wait to WS. I have some 20+ containers that I have WS. I will have to make more gardens for all of my seeds. All the info that I have read on Lasagna gardening is favorable. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with Lasagna gardening? Can anyone offer any advice...do's or don'ts?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7601195

here is an article http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1035/

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #7601344

wanted to give the cow pots a try WS'ing.. not sure how they will do yet.. but put some poppies and some that don't like the roots messed with in them

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7601347

my other batch tonight

Thumbnail by onewish1

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7601401

I'm going to use cowpots to start stuff outside once I can get my tiny greenhouse up on the patio, like peas, sweet peas, ornamental corn & millet, etc. It's hard to direct seed anything due to the tenacious digging critters. Oh, and this winter we've had deer tracks in the snow. Great.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7601522

Anita, did you get the seeds I sent you last week? Just curious if I got the right one in the seed exchange.

Jeanette
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7601811

Anita, you're going to LOVE lasagna gardening! As long as you get a good layer of cardboard or newspaper on the sod, and enough organic matter to hold it down well, you'll have good luck. Of course, the more compost, the better, but killing off the sod and inviting the earthworms (nature's little rototillers) are the most important parts. I've mixed it up and tried several variations of the method, and have always been pleased with the results. If you want to plant immediately, you'll need several inches of well composted material, but if you've got time to let it "cook", you can just start with cardboard and straw (or grass clippings, mulched leaves, or whatever) and keep adding organic matter over time. My butterfly garden is situated on top of an old gravel driveway (grass had covered the gravel, but a few attempts to dig there made it clear that was NOT an option, lol). In that bed I started with cardboard and purchased top soil, then I extended the bed and used any kind of compost, mulch, or potting mix from Lowes that I could get for half price (everything with torn bags), as well as the used potting soil from outdoor containers. In other beds where the soil was already good, I just did cardboard and a thick layer of straw and waited about 4 months to start planting.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7602326

Jnette,

I got seeds in an envy that had the words "please, hand stamp" written on it. The original envy was torn pretty badly and was placed in another envy. Some seeds were in the envy. I wouldn't make out who the envy came from because on half of the envy was torn off. Thank you very much for sending seeds to me. I have already WS some of the seeds. I recently aquired more seeds. Send me a dmail and I will share some of the seeds I recently bought.

Gemini,

I am going to try the lasagna gardening. I have a couple of questions. I read that you must add 18 inches of organic material. I would like to layer with cardboad then newspaper, straw, manure, top soil/peat moss then compost. I will more than likely plant right away. I barely have 4 months left until planting season. I don't have the leaves to add. And I can't use my grass clippings because I treat my lawn. What do you think of my proposed plans?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7602500

Here is a link that shows how I started my lasagna gardening. I'm never going to dig out another bed in my lifetime. the way I did it was so way easy and not much stress on the back either...well other than hauling in the dirt. But I was in it for the exercise.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/849382/

Janet
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7602730

Meadow, did you actually layer your garden with different things? I saw the newspapers, the barrier and the leaf mold but I missed any other layers. I'm find with amking my bed that same way if that's all it requires?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7602855

Anita, I don't think its an exact recipe, just use materials you have available. For planting right away, your ingredients sound great. How is the soil where this bed is going?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7602950

My soil is all clay. LoL I have spent years amending the soil in my flower beds. I have a fairly new bed that I have to add to but the established beds have very good soil. I got some great ideas from Meadow. I would be a good idea to maybe wet the newspaer first then lay it out. Is it overkill to use newspaper and cardboard? How many layers should the newspaper be? I would think a section or two would suffice.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7603516

When I wanted to gt rid of the weeds in my perennial bed I used 12 sheets everywhere. 3 years ago. So far I have no weeds. Don't know why that would be overkill if others are using cardboard.
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
1:25 AM

Post #7603597

Hi Everyone.. Sorry Ive been lurking and had to pop on real quick...

Diamond I have a Salvia that so far is making it nicely through our zone 5 winter and .. Shhhh its red... I got it from a very dear friend who has me on the list for a few more this year. Sorry Name>> San Carlos Salvia

Havent checked my containers yet but the snow is just starting to melt off and we are looking or almost 50 in the next couple of days if the forcast holds~ Fingers are crossed.. Cant wait to have my own babies spouting outside...
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7603605

I think as long as your layers of cardboard and newspapers are wetted down--and not HUGELY thick--you can use both. For the lasagna beds I've created, I use a layer of cardboard first, and then 6-12 layers of newspaper. And when extending my beds next to my lawn, I slice up the lawn into squares and flip it over before putting the cardboard, etc. on top. Never had any grass coming up. Now weeds--I have had those, but they're from my homemade compost which I never seem to get hot enough to kill weed seeds. I just scuffle them under.
Can't wait to see how the new beds I created last fall are lookin' when the snow stops!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7604117

That is my worry with my own compost. I went to the local landfill because we could get compost for nest to nothing. Low and behold, I had corn growing in my front yard! I was hoping it was some beautiful exotic plants that I forgot I planted. My neighbor tried to tell me it was corn but i was convinced she was jealous. Then my mom comes over and pulls off an ear of corn. I was so heartbroken but the corn had to go! LoL Now I have good compost hauled in.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 4, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7604626

Don't feel bad. I grew out some millet that sprouted from the bird feeder once.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7604760

LoL I cannot wait to see sprouts! Will you please take pictures to share with us sproutless people up north?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7604306

TOO FUNNY!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7604392

Was the corn any good to eat? ;-)
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

March 4, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7604949

LOL Thats funny Diamond!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7604490

I would've kept the corn! LOL

Some of my zinnias are coming up as well as my borage! Yippee!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7605117

Linda, I think it would be fine to put your toms into the final spot if you're SURE you won't have any hard frosts. If in doubt, it might be better to keep them in smaller containers like cups, all together, easy to cover for frost.

Lots of folks say WSown plants will be frost hardy. I do think they might be a little more tolerant of cold than nursery plants but I have lost things to frost in the past. Better safe than sorry.

Congrats to all of you who have sprouts. Here, we've finally moved out of the deep freeze and had temps in the high 30s-40 the past few days. We have some serious snow melt going on but it's not gone yet.

Karen
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7605262

We've had a couple of nice days too, nice and sunny. Looked so good I almost opened a window.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 5, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7605675

Have sprouts on my Gazania Kiss! First ones so far. I continue to sow and just got tomato seeds planted (inside).

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7605697

here is my list of what I put out there

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/85183/
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 5, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7605805

Impressive list, Onewish!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7606184

Thanks, K!

Your sterilite container of cups is what I'm going to do. Where'd you get that container and what size is it? I'm heading to buy it after work today to pot up the tomatoe seedlings tomorrow.

Hugs!

Linda
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7606341

1 wish, did you plant these outside? WS? Do you still have snow?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7606391

Now, see, Onewish1 did just what i've been needing to do -- started a file of what all the plants LOOK like so I'd know A from Z!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7606547

Linda, check the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree or Big Lots for those Sterlite containers at reasonable prices. They have them at Target & Wally's but they're more expensive.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7607003

Thanks, Girl. I was just headed out the door to Target!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7607045

pretty close Stephanie... I picked those up at dollar general.. can't remember the price.. but my guess is they are 36 x 12.. maybe.. don't know where Randy hid the tape measure.. if you need a container that the clips lock tight.. I would not get those.. they are loosey goosey clips on the sides

Jnette.. yes I put them outside.. we shoveled the deck off for the dogs .. but there is still a ton of snow on the lawn.. maybe it will be gone by June.. LOL

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7607055

oh and Gymgirl I am obsessed with my journal... I keep thinking of how to organize things better.. this years... I put the seed packs in whatever category when they came in.. empty packs get moved to the sowed category ... and ones that I have seeds left over are still in the categories I first put them in... made a clone and put that in the sowed one... so next winter it will be easy to see what seeds are left.. and I don't order something I already have.. AGAIN

:)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7607085

Onewish1,
Please expound on your seed organization system. It sounds like something I could use to keep me organized. Now I know what to do with the empty seed packets!

Thanks!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7607106

might be easier to go look around my journal

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/sj/onewish1/4920/

but I know a lot of it only makes sense to me... I made a sowed date category ... and if the pack was empty I just moved it from say the petunia category.. to the sowed date... if I had seeds left over I kept a copy in the petunia category and a copy in the sowed date one.. once they germinate I make another copy in the germinated one... so I can see if there were any duds easier... so if you look under Sowed / Feb 10... there were 8 types in that one and 5 already germinated

and sssshhhh don't tell my honey about the plants I bought category... LOL
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7609043

Gymgirl: I have several sizes of sterilite containers. Some are big enough to accomodate milk jugs

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7609048

The underbed storage size works for my 6 oz. yogurt cups or 8 oz. styrofoam cups. It's not tall enough for 16 oz. cups.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7609107

that is the same under bed box... that I use to fill my flats.. keeps the room clean
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7609221

(sigh) I couldn't refrain any longer...I prepared 20 1/2 gal juice jugs today to WS flower seeds. In spite of the higher temps this coming week, I know we still have several weeks of winter. Anxiuos to see how this works for me.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7609238

it wasn't too soon... but you might be very surprised how well it works
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7609340

Can I ask why you guys are putting your WS things in the boxes?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7609431

so they don't fall over... and acts like a tiny greenhouse
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7609450

So, you don't put the lids on? Or do you? Mine are so wet. And we really have not had that much rain. It still is freezing some nights. Any suggestions?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7609520

I have the lids on.. but drill some holes in them so the water can get through
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7609532

Quoting:Gymgirl: I have several sizes of sterilite containers. Some are big enough to accomodate milk jugs

Karen

Karen, correct me if I'm wrong. . . but didn't one of those outer containers in your photo used to be a dog or cat crate? ;-)
I love the creativity and resourcefulness of wintersowers!!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7609575

Yes, it was the top half of a dog crate. Big enough to hold a cow, or about 25 jugs.

My area is very windy, and 2 liters and half gallon jugs get blown over. The sterilite boxes, or dog crate, prevent that. Also, makes it easier to haul them around.

For the cups in the underbed box, the lid forms the roof over the cups. The cups have no other cover.

Usually I don't use the lid on the boxes of jugs, but sometimes I do for extra frost protection for seedlings, or to protect from monsoon rains.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7609692

here is the batch I did today

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/85245/
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7609724

Pretty good. Have any of you had any sprout yet?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7609790

Question: What do you do if your WS containers do germinate, then the weather turns cold again? Do you just bring them inside? Or chance leaving them outside?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7609869

Good question. I would like to know also. Thanks.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7610007

Hey guys, when you were talking about the "big" bags of MG potting mix, how big are they and how much at Sam's? Dollar General has them on sale this weekend-8 quarts for $5-but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I've been using up my left over container mix and I think I'll be out after tomorrow.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 6, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7610042

My post on Feb 27 shows snow and the south facing wall of our house. Here's a picture, taken March 6, of the window ledge.

Thumbnail by garyon

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7610156

I bought potting mix at big lots once.. never again.. there were a lot of rocks & sticks in it.. and some balled up looking mold... threw it out in the woods..

if you have them in a jug or some container they will be fine if it gets cold again... have to think mini greenhouse.. but then again I don't do anything that will be effected by the cold like tomatoes.. maybe someone with more expertise will chime in.. this is only my 3rd year doing this as well
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7610426

Hey All,

I'm sure I asked this question before, but in zone 5, when do you put out annuals or veggies?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7610682

Anita look at the chart for the frost date in your area, I think it is on the home screen on the right hand side of the screen. Just remember to keep an eye on your weather reports for a while and if it sounds like it is going to get low, throw something over them. Nothing is exact.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7610700

Anita look at the chart for the frost date in your area, it is on the "Guides and Information" screen on the bottom of the right hand side of the screen. Just remember to keep an eye on your weather reports for a while and if it sounds like it is going to get low, throw something over them. Nothing is exact.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7611351

My frost date is usually the middle of May to the first of June. However, I was wondering if you put those anuuals and veggies out before the last frost date if you are WSing? I know I can throw those annual seeds in the ground on that date but when can I put them in containers? Six to eight weeks before the last frost date inside but what about WSing?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7611381

I went to the frost dates and based on the info there I can probably put out my annuals a month (approximately) earlier than I would direct sow?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7611401

I don't know. The ground is colder. wintersowing is in containers like milk jugs so they have a cover over them. That would keep the frost off of them. If they came up that early. I think you would be ahead by planting inside if you have enough lights etc. and then put them out as long as you didn't put them out when the ground was too cold.

That is the mistake a lot of people make in the spring. The stores stock the veggies etc. early and the ground is too cold so the poor little plants just sit there with their feet pulled up and rot. It is too cold for them to even try to root down. Then they have to go back and buy new plants. The stores aren't too stupid are they?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7611423

I think I understand
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7611579

Quoting:Question: What do you do if your WS containers do germinate, then the weather turns cold again? Do you just bring them inside? Or chance leaving them outside?

Msrobin, it depends on what you mean by "turns cold'? If I have a lot of germination and it's supposed to get below freezing, I throw a blanket over my jugs. I try to plant the tender annuals, tomato seeds, etc., late enough in the spring that there isn't a serious frost problem.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7611582

Quoting:Question: What do you do if your WS containers do germinate, then the weather turns cold again? Do you just bring them inside? Or chance leaving them outside?

Msrobin, it depends on what you mean by "turns cold'? If I have a lot of germination and it's supposed to get below freezing, I throw a blanket over my jugs. I try to plant the tender annuals, tomato seeds, etc., late enough in the spring that there isn't a serious frost problem. But occasionally I just feel more secure if I toss that blanket over my jugs.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 7, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7611892

I don't do anything. That's the whole point of wintersowing, to let the seedlings harden off naturally. Granted, we don't usually have the hard winters that you do up North, but this has been a strange year for us. More snow than usual and some prolonged truly cold weather. Still, I have Gazanias and Gaillardias that have sprouted already and they're just sitting out there taking their chances. I'm a lazy gardener and that's one reason I love WSing! Last year (my first WSing year), I fretted when the weather turned cold again after seeds had sprouted, but they made it and I did nothing!

My tomato seeds are (hopefully) going to be sprouting soon indoors where they will live under lights until big enough and warm enough outside for transplanting.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7612100

Thanks.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7612489

Anita, my last frost date is sometime in mid to late April, so I wintersow tender annuals in March. I'm thinking about the first of April would work in your zone. The seedlings get enough protection from light frosts in the jugs, but if temps dip into the 20's covering them is a good idea.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7612511

Hi, WS junkies!

Just checking in after much lurking on the WS Forum (and minimal posting to speak of this year). Love all your pics and helpful tips.

And OneWish, I love your Journal and all the data you keep! You must have quite a garden with all those varieties!

Here's what I've WSed so far: I WSed 51 small containers with a wide variety of perennial seeds (Feb 15). First bought Miracle Gro Mix in quite big bags at Costco for $11 to use. Then bought large styrofoam cups (sorry to say not very 'green' but they were cheap) at Gordon Food Service, drilled drainage holes and filled with the moistened potting mix. Put the large cups into the large sterlite containers (with holes drilled top and bottom), covered them, and set them outside. I expect to just let them 'simmer' out there for a few more weeks with no 'bother' to me. That's what I like about WSing~~no obsessing needed!

I expect to do another batch of annual seeds in a few weeks. I have wintersowed tomato seeds with some good results, but I also start them under lights just for insurance.

I'm trying to enter my progress into my DG diary but I seem to be very disorganized doing that (unlike Onewish)! Mostly I am trying to start native wildflowers, butterfly loving seeds, and hummingbird loving seeds.

Off topic but still want to share: I just returned from the Philly Flower Show Wednesday. What a treat that was! So beautiful! Met my sister from Wash. D.C. and had a wonderful day out with the her. She is a brilliant 'seed starter' (another scientist, Karen) so I got a lot of good tips from her. I hooked her on WSing too, although she's not a member of DG.

Also spent the weekend at 'The Amish Birding Symposium' in Adams County Ohio. Very picturesque and fun. All the talk about birds made we want to start more seeds for my 'bird garden'. And lots of seeds for the Hummingbirds, especially. I'll have to post a few pics in my diary later.

It's supposed to be 56 degrees today, so spring is just around the corner. Still a bit of snow to melt, though.

Happy WSing to all! t.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7612572

thank you tabasco.. garden is always a work in progress... but getting there
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7612692

I haven't started my tender things yet.

Yes, the idea behind wintersowing is to let the jug function as a mini greenhouse to protect the seedlings. I truly believed that when I first started and I lost quite a few to late freezes. It usually works well but, lets face it, every plant has a limit and then the plant croaks. I think our official last frost date is in April but everyone who gardens here knows that we get hard freezes sometimes in late May. I generally wait until April to sow most tender things. And like Emily, I throw a sheet or blanket over the tender ones for really cold nights.

I just find it a lot easier to sow them later and not worry about it. After 4 years of this, I just don't want to do it any more. I only plant those things this early if I have lots of seeds to spare and know I can replant if necessary.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7612775

This may not be anything ya'll don't already know, but I've observed something interesting with my WS experiment. I never sealed all of my jugs shut with tape after I slit them because I didn't have the wind, etc. that would blow them open. And, they just stayed closed. Some of them were taped.

Every now and then when I thought it was a nice day, I bent the "lids" back on the jugs that weren't taped to give the seedlings some sun, and to take a nice close peep. I didn't bother untaping any jugs that were already taped, and contented myself with peeping through the spout.

I observed that, although they've all done well, the seedlings in the jugs I propped open matured at a much slower rate than the ones in the jugs that stayed taped shut. I also observed there was a natural "humidity?" that was always present in the taped jugs. Consequently, these jugs seemed to hold more even moisture than the ones I was opening and closing.

I believe Karen is very right about leaving them be once they're situated. I imagine I'm disrupting the greenhouse effect by opening and closing them.

Based on this observation, next year once I tape them shut, I won't open them until it's time for plant out.

Thanks, Karen! This has been a very rewarding and very satisfying endeavor for me!

Hugs and Crosses!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7613232

I've got mine tapped as the squirrels won't leave them along. I've got DH on watch over the 16 I set out yesterday. Until the squirrels realize these jugs aren't for them, we will have to be good about watching that they don't get into and eat my seeds...LOL

Janet

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 8, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7613420

Fortunately, my jugs are in the same side of the yard as the dogs. The squirrels stay away.

I do have sprouting lettuce and kale--I hope they're not too early...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7613619

Thanks all! Very useful information.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7613755

Quoting:I observed that, although they've all done well, the seedlings in the jugs I propped open matured at a much slower rate than the ones in the jugs that stayed taped shut.

Linda, that was an interesting experiment and I'm really glad you posted about it. Always good to have proof.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7613974

Hey CapeCodGardener!

The only reason I really noticed this at all is because when it got cold and I thought the containers would blow open, I re-taped some shut, and left them shut. After they were taped again and I wasn't opening them they outdistanced the others (of the same type) in the containers that I kept opening.

I think I set up the hothouse effect again when I re-taped them shut!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7615125

My first sprouts showed themselves yesterday! I finally feel like spring is on the way. As I expected, English Wallflowers were first to germinate. We had 3 days in a row of sun and mild temps, although some clouds are moving in, the temps look like they're going to stay mild for the next week, so I expect to see other sprouts showing up this week. I love the daily routine of checking the WS containers and most days finding some new sprout- so happy the time has finally arrived!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7615170

Neal, how many have you done this year?

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7615958

So are you all telling me that I should be expecting sprouts any day?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7616121

diamond...

now hold on there as you know we are still in the throes of winter, even if we are having 57 degree weather today... hurray...

Janet

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7616244

I know Janet! I'm trying to keep it together but it's hard! LoL I have had a few days of sunshine and nice weather. I ready to get out in the yard and make some things grow! I see some of you have sprouts and I'm outside looking down on my jugs doing the "sprout dance". LoL I'm going to wait patiently, until my sprout pop up. I know it's early. LoL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7616331

Yes that sun sure can make you think positive and want to believe that we are through with winter, but I don't think so...LOL

How many things did you ws?

Janet
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7616436

I have close to 25 containers. I haven't put out any annuals yet. I'm sure I will have to make more gardens. I'm going to do the feather work now while we have nice weather. And when my sons come home for the weekend, mysteriously, two truck loads of compost will appear that needs to be laid down. LoL

I have WS some ruds, foxglove, coral bells, delphs, hollyhocks, butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, coneflowers and gaillardias. I cannot remember the others. I think I may have even WS an annual that I thought was a perennial for our area, salvia. I have some more seeds that attract hummingbirds and butterflies, that I need to put out as well.

Is it too late to still put out perennials for WS? Would the concept work even though it's not winter?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7616544

Diamond

I'm just now getting started with ws my perennials, so for you which we are able the same, I would say most certainly go ahead.

Janet
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7616662

I've never done this before, and I certainly hope they do not sprout now. I am zone 5 also. I don't trust this weather. It was 54 yesterday. All I can think is that if I lose these seeds by doing this, I am going to be sick. I hope I didn't make a mistake by planting my good seeds.

Please don't do your sprout dance loud enough to reach my seeds!!!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7616714

you will be surprised how tough they are
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7616739

Karen, I have exactly 100 jugs sown now, and that's mostly perennials and biennials. I haven't even counted the annuals still to do, but I'll probably get a start on those in the next couple of weeks.

Anita, this is the 2nd, or maybe even the 3rd time I've wintersown English Wallflowers, and they have been the first up each time. This year I'm documenting better than previously, but I'm thinking the Wallflowers were 1-2 weeks ahead of anything else last time. It seems Dianthus and Hollyhocks were the next up. If you've still got perennials to sow, by all means go ahead- they'll still get lots of cooling and warming to soften those seed coats.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7616746

too late for me to start hollyhocks??... I have some I could put out

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7616761

onewish... the way i see HH's are... they wont bloom until the second year, so to me, it does not matter when i start them.

Though... i have to admit.. i did have ONE that bloomed last year, i happened to give the plant to my neighbor, since i had so many plants... my luck, her's bloomed.

Just sow them when you get a chance... dont think they will germinate for a while... weather depending.

-------

Our weather has not really warmed up at all. They say mid-upper 50's for tomorrow -- but rain.

No seedlings yet.

I've got to get my butt in gear and start sowing again.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7616764

ok thanks.. never grew them before.. but I did throw some out in the garden last fall.. just have to try to remember they aren't weeds

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7616770

one nice thing about HH. they have a very distinct looking leaf... so you wont mistake them with weeds.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7616786

if anyone has a seedling photo.. that would be great... never had them before no clue .. but that is good to know when I get in my weeding frenzy .. snapdragons, datura, cockscomb, and strawflowers are all easy for me to spot.. others.. YANK.. when i get nuts weeding you never know what I am going to pull.. last year I yanked a pumpkin.. LOL... OOPS
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7616792

I planted the most beautiful foxgloves one year. They were the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen (blooms didn't last long). With them I planted some Chinese Lanterns. I decided to revamp that garden once the floxgolves had bllomed. I am still getting some freaky looking leaves that sprout up. I let them grow for a while because I was so sure it was something I had planted but forgot about. I got nervous when I started growing too fast. I thought it was going to crowd the other plants so I dug it up. I hope I didn't kill any desirables.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7616800

glad I planted the Chinese lantern seeds in a container.. the first year there were 5 plants in it... the next 20 or more... just went HOLY COW glad I didn't plant them in the garden.. I actually took them out of the container and put the root ball in on the driveway.. when I decided to get rid of them.. that thing lived out of a container for the rest of the season.. scary plant
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7616808

okay so maybe it was the Chinese Lantern that went crazy!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7616992

here is last years HH

Thumbnail by tcs1366

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7616997

milk jug full from 2007

Thumbnail by tcs1366

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7617007

oohh thank you TCS... that is a great help.. they remind me of pansies.. that means life is good.. they might make it!!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7617010

That is what I think I will like the most about ws. I don't have to worry when weeding that i might be pulling flowers instead of weeds... I pulled too many out last year to only later find they were flowers... OMGoodness...

Hay I just checked my shasta daises and they have sprouted. Those are planted inside on a heat mat and I can't believe it. Just a 5 days to pop... I was too sick the first of the year to get them started and they really need to be started in January for any hopes of me having blooms by Mothers day weekend. But here's to hoping they will...LOL

Janet

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7617016

when I don't plant it... just put a seed down.. unless I recognize it right away it gets yanked.. the WS does help me because if I am digging a nice hole & putting a plant in it has a way better chance than a direct sow

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7617028

I hear you loud and clear onewish... that is my thinking too.

Janet

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7617210

same here. i have an area out back where i just tossed wild flower seeds. I bet i ended up pulling many of the plants thinking they were weeds. I'm trying NOT to do that again... and if i direct sow, i will mark it.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7617262

that poor pumpkin was marked.. saw it right after I pulled it.. if it's new.. it's on it's own!!

:)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7621058

I found my 2nd container to germinate today! Sweet William, Newport Pink are emerging this morning. Now there's no way to stop myself from checking them every day, LOL.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7621075

gemini is going to have jug eye, jug eye...LOL

Janet

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7621090

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeee!!! Jug eye, jug eye!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7621115

jug eye!! Is it catching???

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7621238

Jug eye is WORSE than cooties!!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7621375

LOL, Jug eye for sure!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7621922

yall are too funny...

Janet

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7621997

I know about jug & flat eye!!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7630305

I have a question??? LoL When you direct sow, how do you ensure that the soil stays moist for germination? I don't think I have every directly sowed anything that lived. The last seeds I DS never grew in my flower bed but they did grow in the grass. How did that happen? LoL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7630428

Anita -- where i direct sow... they are on their own. it's way out in a field [that i have turned into flower beds] but my hose really does not reach, unless i connect two of them which is a pain beyond believe... using a watering can is no fun either, as i have to keep coming back for water.

-- sometimes i will sow before rains are coming... so they get watered. If it is something 'special' and i really want it to grow... I'll do it in a pot, then transplant.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7630444

Good idea, TC! Do you use potting soil or compost?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7630468

just potting soil. I dont have a lot of compost ... so i'm using that sparingly.

here is one area about a yr before planting... excuse the Coyote -- though he was the reason i took the shot.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7630476

I thought that was your dog...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7630478

this was 2 yrs later

Thumbnail by tcs1366

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7630483

nope.. here is Buddy

Thumbnail by tcs1366

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7630640

I hope Buddy is big.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7630642

bigger than the coyote i think... that one, who i have not seen in some time [he/she hung out for yrs] was a small scranwy one... thinking female as she was small.

I know they are out there, but i have not seen on in some time.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7630648

Good. That's scary if you have pets.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7630663

Wow, TC, did you sprinkle wildflower seeds? How did you start the beds? Did you stry lasagna gardening?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7630664

well... my yard is fenced. one summer, there was a 'teenager' .. i figured it was a male as it was larger than the ones i normally saw... and he'd come up to the fence at night... i think he was curious of Buddy. they'd sorta run the fence together. he stuck around for a week or so, then never saw him again.

I'v been back there mowing the lawn/field and he was about 25' from me, just watching... then ran off. I could tell he was young, and just curious.

but when back there during the summer months .. if i have Bud with me, i'm always on the look out. They are normally not out during the day light hours.

DH and I went to a seminar on Coyotes ... or more "Living with Coyotes" -- we learned a lot about them. I'm always cautious, but never afraid. another reason why Charlie does not leave the yard either... [he's the cat]

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7630670

Anita ... I just turned over the soil and sprinkled seeds... I do have more photos that sort of show the progression...

back in the day... this was a corn field... so i feel the soil back there is pretty good.

The first yr i had most of that planted was by 2007... so it's pretty established as flower beds. there are still some weeds and grass that grows, but i'm getting them under control.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7630986

It's very pretty.

Karen
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 15, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7631611

Here's a few of my WS'd pots. This is several salvias that I sowed in a large baby lettuce container from Sam's Club:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 15, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7631616

Here's another container with Gaillardias:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 15, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7631621

Here's the Gazania rigens and Kiss:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7631633

looking good!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7631658

I found my first seedlings... they look a few days old.

I think the plant tag read - Silver Carpet... but didnt see that in my spreadsheet.

went back out to look and found 2 more that must have germinated today.

Lemon Mint, Monarda
NoID Monarda Bee Balm, from Ansofan, 2008

Hmm -- trying to research that first one. The plant tag says Silver Carpet, but i don't think i have that seed. My notebook says Snow-in-summer ... so that is what it must be. it shows that I used all the seeds, but i'll have ot look for the sheet of paper that was in the bag ... i usually save those for a while.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2010

Post #7631672

glad I put on my seeds in those containers.. it's been raining here for 4 days straight

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7633963

Ah... i had forgotten what thread I was posting in about preparing beds... found it.

Anita... i was out today digging/weeding up a storm... took some images and when i get around to it, not to clutter this thread even more... i'll start a thread on preparing beds.

Terese

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7633965

woo hoo.. first green babies to show up today... poppy Diane!!!
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 16, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7634033

woo hoo- me too! pansies and catnip.

some containers look dry - how should I water them?

Grayson

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7634058

I've been watering a few of mine that look really dry.

I found a Lupine today. that makes 4 jugs with seedlings.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7634071

Grayson I use a spray bottle
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7634218

You guys are in my zone and 6 so maybe mine will start one of these days. Got my fingers crossed.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7634725

I'm with you, Jnette. I'm going to have "jugeye" real soon. I have been hoovering over my jugs like a mother hen. Nothing green yet!
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7634768

My friends and I decided "jug eye" is con-JUG-ti-vitis, LOL!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7634865

I have "jugeye"!
WS Jugs that have germinated:
Delphinium 'Butterfly Blue'
Mimulus
Silene 'None so Pretty'
Bach Buttons 'Golden Jubilee'
Allium 'Purple Sensation'
HH 'Creme de Cassis'
HH 'Aunt Brownie Figleaf'

Containers in Unheated GH that have germinated:
HH 'Chamois Rose'
Coreopsis 'Plains'
Coreopsis 'Dwarf Plains'
Coreopsis Dwarf Yellow
Lavender 'Munstead'
Eyeball Plant
Veronica 'Eveline'
Viola 'Sorbet Citrus Mix'
Lablab
Canna
Abutilon 'Bella Mix'
Aster Dwarf Carpet
Anthriscus cerefolium 'Chervil'
Asclepsias 'Silky Gold'
Asarina
Centaura 'Blackball'
Chrysanthemum 'Coconut Ice'
Ice Plant 'Sparkles'
Lagarus 'Bunny Tails'
Layla Tidy Tips
Nemophila 'Penny Black'
Millet
Marigold 'Rarejem'
Poppy 'Lauren's Grape'
Poppy 'Blue Breadseed'
Poppy Oriental Orange
Amaranthus 'Giant Red'
Amaranthus 'Fat Spike'
Amaranthus 'Autumn Palette'
Amethystia caerula
Brachycome 'White Splendor'
Lupine 'Tutti Fruiti'
Lupine 'Morello Cherry'
Lupine 'Popsickle'
Cerinthe 'Blue Kiwi'
Chenopodium quinoa 'Cherry vANILLA'
Cleome 'Sparkler'
Cosmos Sensation Mix
Cosmos 'Purity White'
Dahlia coccinea Orange
Dahlia dinnerplate White
Morning Glory 'Flying Saucers'
CONVOLVULUS 'Ensign Blue'
Tomato 'Lemon Boy' (on heat mat)
Tomato ' Cherokee Purple' (heat mat)
Tomato German Johnson (heat mat)
Tomato 'Black Krim' (heat mat)
Tomato Italian Heirloom (heat mat)
Tomato Yellow Pear (heat mat)
Tomato Roma (heat mat)
Yellow Cukes (heat mat)
Waltham Butternut Squash (heat mat)

in the House on Heat Mat and under lights
Petunia 'Opera Supreme'
Petunia 'Dreams Midnight'
Salvia 'Snow Nymph'
Salvia 'Pineapple Sage'
Salvia 'Forest Fire'
Salvia 'Coral Nymph'
Salvia artemis
Meadow Sage

I am still waiting for many more to germinate. Spring is coming.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7634871

Guess the only cure is green stuff down in there. LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7634883

Lynn, are you saying all of that stuff has germinated?

I am going to throw all of my stuff out. So much for this. I lost all of my good seeds.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7634894

Don't give up yet! Yes, those have all sprouted. Mother Nature will let them know when it is their time to wake up. Just keep them moist. Don't worry about anything else until they germinate, then make sure they don't dry out, drown, or cook from the heat (I remove the cover, or at least prop them open.)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7634930

I was teasing. You are zone 8 vs my 5.

My seeds are pretty wet. Do you think I should prop them open now and let them dry out a bit? All this week we are below freezing t night.xx
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7635017

I don't know. I have a bunch that are soaking wet also.
Actually, I am Zone 7 because we are so close to the foothills. It is usually 10 degrees colder here than in Seattle. I have lost quite a few plants because I was ignorant of the correct zone.

If you need more seeds, let me know.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7635041

Lynn, what did your being ignorant of the correct zone have to do with anything? What were you doing that you would have done differently?

My seeds have been freezing at night and heating up from the sun during the day. Do you think I ruined them?

I cannot believe Janet (Meadowlark) on the other WS thread. She is going crazy sowing seeds. She just started sowing like maybe a week ago and she is going to do 300 or some such thing. Cripe if I tried that I would be sowing seeds on Halloween.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7635146

I bought some Canna's and other plants from a gal on Craig's List. She said they would be fine outside, as they were outside at that time (Feb 2 yrs ago). Well, she lived in Ballard, and we live in the Foothills, 10 degrees colder. Yep, they all froze to death.

I think your seeds will be fine. They haven't sprouted yet, right? Mine are not taped tight, so there is a lot of air movement and not a lot of heat buildup. I don't know if this is right or not.

Meadowcyk is simply amazing. I have 437 containers sowed, but I have been doing this since Jan 23. Some are 6 packs, some are milk jugs.

What have you sown?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7635149

LoL Lynn, are you going to have a planting party? We have WSed some of the same seeds. Did you do anything special to your canna seeds? Did you soak them for 24 hours?

This is my que to get my lasagna beds started. We have rain coming this weekend. It would be the perfect time my newspaper and cardboard down. I started some dahlias inside and I was amazed at how fast they sprouted.

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7635210

I nicked and soaked them for 30 hours in water /hydrogen peroxide solution.
Good for you. Isn't lasagna gardening the best way?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7635345

I found germination in a couple more jugs yesterday, Basket of Gold Alyssum and Clasping Coneflower. That's 6 out of 115 up so far.

Jnette, the freezing and heating up is a good thing! A lot of the things I ws require that to germinate. As long as there is good drainage, being wet won't hurt them- mine look soggy like that when they have been freezing at night. I'm in zone 6, and just the first of the cool temp lovers are up so far, but many won't show themselves till sometime next month or even later. Depends of the specific seeds sown, but I believe you'll be seeing sprouts in the next few weeks.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 17, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7635383

Jnette: Don't toss those jugs yet! There's still plenty of time for you. Some of mine haven't sprouted yet either, but they will. You'll be so excited when you see your first sprouts. Just be patient.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7635456

Whew! I'll hold off on my jug - I - tis until next month. LoL

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7635586

Remember that we're mimicking what happens in nature. Seeds freeze at night (months on end, too), heat up during the day, and germinate at various times. I had some seeds that I planted last March that didn't germinate until July! As long as you know you planted viable seeds, let them do their thing and don't fret about it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7635605

Good answer, Steph...
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7635615

Jnette, I'm with everybody else--don't toss those jugs yet! WS seeds don't mind freezing and thawing. Though I understand how impatient you might feel. I've got about 50 jugs out so far and only 2 have sprouts (Alyssum and Calendula). Now that the rain has finally stopped and we're supposed to be in a warming trend, I expect to see some more coming. . . but Mother Nature will take her own sweet time.
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

March 17, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7635671

Agreed -- looking over this thread it seems that everyone up to Z7 is starting to see sprouts, but above that we're still waiting. I'm in Z5, and we're in the middle of about 5 days of near freezing nighttimes and sunny 50-something daytimes. So I expect something to happen soon, maybe next week if things progress the way they have been. Have faith!

Meanwhile, toss some seeds into a Jiffy tray with those peat disks. I used those over the weekend and had sprouts of convolvulus in less than 24 hours! That keeps me from fretting over my jugs. Almost. :-)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7635705

Also remember that your early bloomers will germinate first and then the later bloomers will germinate later on. Calendula and alyssum both love the cooler temps, so that's why those have already germinated for CapeCod. So, sit back and chill out. (Doesn't stop you from being anxious and watching those jugs everyday, though! LOL)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7635744

I'm zone5a and it has just warmed up here... being about 60 and sunny. Tomorrow should be near 70 with 40's for the weekend.

BUT -- out of 70 some containers, i have 4 with seedlings.

** I did start a thread with a bunch of photos of my "bed preparation"
I hope to keep adding images thru-out the summer with plants and blooms.
here is the thread... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081756/

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7635887

Lynn

you go girl, what are you doing with all of your extras? I'm going to give some to my garden clubs plant sale, then of course some for my garden and the rest for plant sales so I can bring in a some extra money...

Going at lunch time to pick up more coil soil... I really love working with that stuff as long as it is wet, cause it doesn't seem to be bothering my sinuses, which is a good thing...LOL

so is ice plant something that I can ws? I just got some seeds from the seed robin that is going on and I've never heard of this plant let alone grow it.

Janet
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7635934

Hey TCS, what dod you have that sprouted? I'm curious

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7635957

Uggggg ..l need to print my WS spreadsheet.

so far... #6, #12, #13, #32, #46...

I've got to look those up...

Monarda Lemon Mint
NoID Monarda [form Ansonfan]
Monarda Marshalls Delight
Snow-in-Summer 'Carastium'
Wild Lupine

Looks like Monarda's are early germinaters.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7636008

So, tcs, it looks like the Monaqrdas sprout first. I will have to see which jug mine is in and watch that one. LOL

I only planted about 35 or 40 jugs Lynn. I put a lot of my good Rudbeckia seeds in there and all of a sudden I thought, "What if this doesn't work? I have lost all of my seeds". That is when I decided enough. If I lose them I will be sick.

So, since I have never done this before I stopped. I am now planting my tomatoes, petunias, verbenas etc. in the house where I would have anyway. I need to control those
'cause they need to be up-potted etc. in the next 6 or so weeks.

No, actually, I really did not want my plants in the jugs to come up until now or later. They would have probably been pot bound by the time I got to planting them if they had.

Jeanette

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7636226

Jeanette... I usually have good luck with Ruds... many times i just toss seeds out in the beds. I had TONS last year.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7636274

Are the Ruds just that easy? I'm in zone 5 too. And I have wondered how much success I would have with throwing some seeds out. Its amazing how plants that self seed spread so eaily without any assistance from anyone but Mother Nature. LoL I'm still picking morning glories out of my beds. I have plucked hundreds of them out of my flowers beds and grass.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7636361

I don't know what the ice plant is, either! I got them from Star. Here is a picture from the internet. Mesembryanthemum is the proper name.

I will give plants to my mom, SIL, DIL, and neighbors. I am also going to donate some plants for a fundraiser next month. I will just plant out hunks and let them fight it out.
I am having the best germination in my unheated GH. I spend hours in there everyday, so it is easy to play with them in there.
Whoops, DH is calling me to go help him. We have to take his bike into the shop today and he needs a ride home. That bike is a pain in the hiney, even the Harley dealer hasn't been able to fix it.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7636543

Those look almost like Livingstone Daisys. Can't tell how tall they are tho. LDs are short I believe.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7636604

I am going to hover over my jugs any more but I did notice that I have irises starting the sprout that I planted last year! I was hoping they would make it this year. Spring is coming!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7636658

I found an old image of my Ice Plant.

I had purchased some from Springhill Nursery, not realizing they are NOT hardy to my zone. I was crushed when they didn't come back. They were like a carpet of purple flowers.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7636819

Hey, I know I said I would not jugeye any more but I couldn't help myself. I have one sprout! My malva jug has one that is green with two leaves! I couldn't believe it! Ok, so now I leave the lid on the jug until I get more sprouts? When do I open the jug? My HH look like they may be next. I didn't see any green in the jug but I did notice that some looks different. It looks like something stringy may be growing but it's not green. Any ideas?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7636831

Here's my first WS sprout, Uno Malva!

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 17, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7636842

First root, maybe?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7636852

Yes, leave the hinged top on the jugs, as the weather warms up you can cut vents into the top, and finally cut the top off altogether. I usually skip the vent cutting part, and just wait till danger of frost is nearly passed and cut the top off.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7637282

once my seedlings get larger, a few inches... I will hinge it back, but do not cut it completely off until there is no chance of frost. i've never cut additional vents in the top portion.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7637348

Thanks that's helpful. It's a solitary seedling right now. Hopefully more will follow inside that container but if not, I will be happy with the one Malva. LoL I didn't realize the Malva Sylveris is in the Hollyhock family.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7637388

Wait a minute!!! She said she has the lids on her jugs? I don't, am I suppose to? I don't think she is talking about the hinged top of the jug, are you Anita?

What do you mean by the "lid"?

Maybe that is why mine are so wet.

Jeanette
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7637935

The screw on caps should be left off from the beginning.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7637961

We're expecting a freeze this weekend. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to cart in my jugs o' seedlings! I was going to plant my sweet peas yesterday, but with the freeze coming, I've decided to wait.

Can someone please take this wacky weather away???

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7638109

Steph -- when you look at temps... it's coldest before the dawn...

how low is it expecting to get? It's not like it's going to be 28 or so for a long time, just a short few hrs maybe ... just cover the containers with a blanket or so... or put them in a more protected area.. garage maybe...

My first year sowing, 2007, we had a very warm February... I had a lot of seeds germinate - many tender annuals too... in April, when we had a cold snap... nights in the 20's for 4 days... i'd cover them with old flannel sheets. did the trick for me.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7638170

No I don't have the screw on tops of my jugs. I am speaking of the hinged top portion of the jug.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7638183

yesterday... when it was still 60-ish out... i WS'ed a few more containers i found on top of my frig... only 4... finally got my Milkweeds going...

I also began to prepare my sterilite box... I was able to get 28 'nursery pots' in there ... the sun went down before i was finished, and it was getting quite cold... but i had the soil in and watered it... all was left to do was finding seeds.

I did 15 containers of Salvias. I think i'm going to have more "red" than i know what to do with this year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7639867

Got my first sprout up today. Ornamental grass. Wadda ya think? LOL
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7639937

Yeah! Post a picture of your new baby.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7640009

LOL, I moved all of my jugs under the table on the deck today so they wouldn't get knocked over in the wind. I have no idea where it is. Or I would.

Hopefully I will have a whole bunch up soon then I can find it and I will take the picture.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7640213

I had a jug of snapdragons sprout yesterday and radicle emergence on a couple of forget-me-nots. So now I have sprouts in 6 of my 15 jugs.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7641077

Anyone know anything about purple fountain grass? I'm not finding alot of information about it. According to what i have found, it's a sterile plant and doesn't grow true from seed. Anyone is zone 5 ever get it to come back from one season to the next?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7641165

Diamond

I'm in the same zone as you and never had it come back here. what a shame as I love it for planters. I even tried to bring it in one year in the garage but the collies wanted to pea on it all the time so it didn't make it, and that is the last time I brought any container in. LOL

Sorry I couldn't help you, but if you have a place that would stay above freezing and you plant it in a container then I would think you could get it to come back...

Found a great buy at HD during lunch today for 20.00. a small hand held drill that fits my hand so now I'll be drilling drainage holes in my new supply of milk jugs this weekend. My garden club members brought me another 89 jugs to our meeting this week. I love them...LOL

Janet
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7641225

I've just been skimming to catch up & I have a couple quick answers to some hardiness questions. Purple fountain grass is, unfortunately, NOT hardy to zone 5, It's sold as an annual here. I have also heard the seed is sterile.

There are lots of hardy iceplants (also called delosperma) in all knds of colors. Tcs, your picture looks like Delosperma Cooperi and it's defintely hardy to your zone. They don't like to be wet though, you could give it another try if you have a sunny spot that won't get soggy in the winter. I don't know about winter sowing them, I would think it would work but I have never had mine re-seed voluntarily.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7641229

ahhhh -- that explains why i've never gotten seeds to germinate.
I should look to see who sent them to me and ask their experience with the seeds.

ah... got it from LeBug. I'll run on over to the Cottage Garden forum and ask her.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7641232

thanks lisabees... i'll take a better look into them. I did love them, but it's possible the bed it 'wet' as it is just off my front porch, so the snow gets piled there.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 21, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7644929

Here's what I have WS'd so far:

Aconite napellus
Agastache Honey Bee
Caryopteris
Crocosmia Emberglow
Dahlia Bishop of Landaff
Dahlia Unwin's Dwarf yellow
Datura Double Black Currant Swirl
Datura Double yellow
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Gaillardia Burgundy
Gaillardia Dwarf Goblin
Gaillardia Oranges and Lemons
Gaillardia Razz
Gazania Kiss
Gazania rigens
Lenten Rose
Lobelia Cambridge Blue
Lobelia Crystal Palace
Penstemon
Penstemon mexicali ex Red Rocks
Penstemon smallii Violet Dusk
Rudbeckia Goldsturm
Salvia Blue Chiquita
Salvia - Cedar Sage
Salvia Coral Nymph
Salvia greggii Wild Thing
Salvia Lady in Red
Salvia roehmeriana
Salvia transylvanica
Stocks, evening scented
Verbascum Southern Charm

What's sprouted as of 3/20/10:

Caryopteris
Gaillardias (all)
Gazanias
Penstemons
Stocks
Verbascum

I love winter sowing!!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 10:10 AM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7644933

didn't realize stock would WS well... good to know
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7645143

The seeds seem to know its spring, I was blown away at how many have germinated the last 2 days! Out of the initial 100 jugs I sowed in February, 41 have sprouts! Snapdragons, Penstemons, Rudbeckia, Digitalis, Caryopteris, Hollyhocks, Helenium, and a few others have sprouted in the last couple of days.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7645453

I see some white specs in the snapdragons & hollyhocks too.. asking this because I never grew them before.. the water must have dripped in the same spot and uncovered a Nasturtium seed... i see it cracked open .. should i cover it back up?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7645464

I have seeds that push to the surface all the time.

out in my back bed... where i grew nastys before... the seeds sit in the surface and germinated right there... so i dont think it's necessary. if you push it back, it just may come back to the surface again...i danced that dance one year.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7645467

ok thanks
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

March 21, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7646041

Jugeye Report: Green Sprouts

Cosmos
Russell lupine, Wild Lupine, Alaskan Lupine
Persian coneflower
Nicotinia limegreen
Clarkia "cherry gal"
Helianthus lemon queen(all 5 of them, good seeds!) really wanted this one!
Verbena Blue Vervain
Monarda Washterma
Echinacea coneflower ( several)(roots curling in bottom of cup)
Silene regia

All planted January 21 zone 7B-8A. Should I transplant the echies already? They have big roots and are crowded.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7646119

jadajoy, good for you!! You planted quite a few of the same thing I did, you planted yours earlier than I did, and you are 2 zones up on me. So, I guess there is hope for mine. Wonderful!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7646146

the one thing I said to myself this year is that I should have used clear cups so I can see when they need to move out.. will have to try & remember that next year
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7646161

One wish, what do you mean to move out? What size cups are you talking about?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7646230

time to transplant them... sorry I am a bit whacked out today
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

March 21, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7646285

I did 9oz cups.

Oh, Allison, hope you are better soon!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7646406

Seems to be something going around, hope you get better soon.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7646426

thanks
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7646891

Kentucky Jugeye report: I got a late start, then we've had a lot of days with temps in the 60"s and 70's, so I guess I wasn't really wintersowing, but I've got sprouts in one out of 21 jugs. Gypsophilia.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7647099

I saw one of my marigolds germinated yesterday

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7647512

Yep, I got a late start too, but I figure once we get up in temps (we are back in the 30's today) for extended periods of time, then I'll see something sprouting... I had jugeye right along with ya.

Janet
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7648678

Msrobin and Janet - as late as you think you are, you are ahead of me!! a month ago, I did three jugs of really old sweet peas, and none germinated. Been meaning to do more in the last few weeks, but here we are, in spring, and I have nothing to show for it. I have about 10 half-gallon jugs collected, and I may just do it this weekend. 70's all week, so can't even pretend it is winter.

Gemini-sage - I got some packets of helenium seeds that I am determined to sow this year... glad to hear that yours germinated already.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7648765

ok, since we had some good rain today I thought I would check on how bad things might be messed up in the jugs... well to my surprise one jug has greennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn in it... Planted Mar 7th White Lychnis are up... the jug right beside it is pink lychnis so wonder how long it will be before they are up...

I'm really encouraged now...

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7648893

Had 2 more jugs sprout today (both yellow marigilds). I just don't have any really special flower seeds...pretty, but not special. Will have to remedy that situation.

I had also started herb seeds in about 15 disposable pie pans with clear domed tops. Never even got them outside before half of them started germinating. But I will be ready early next winter to get everything prepared and outside. Sure saves a lot of time and space not using the cell trays. I think this method is going to be a keeper for me!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7649507

soilsandup, I wintersowed a couple of colors of Helenium last year and had poor germination, or it could have been slugs gobbling them as they sprouted. Ended up with 1 seedling from each batch, and got them planted late. I was expecting them to be tall, and planted them toward the back of a bed, then totally forgot about them. In late summer I was weeding, and nearly pulled one up when I noticed buds and realized what it was! Both bloomed the first year, a red and a yellow. Hoping for better luck with these, but I had good enough luck with them to keep trying. The good thing is, being perennials, just one is all it takes to get a clump going :-)

Janet and Robin, so glad to hear y'all are seeing sprouts- sure does make a believer out of ya, doesn't it! Robin, is there any special flowers in particular you're looking for? I've got quite a few extra seeds, several things that are kinda unusual and new to me.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 23, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7649529

what can I winter sow this late? (zone 5)

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7649536

oohh a bunch of things.. anything that doesn't need a long chill time... snapdragons, cosmos, strawflowers, just to name a few quick blooming annuals.. and perennials ... I would do them now.. esp the ones that don't bloom 1st year.. I am sure someone has a nice list of quick bloomers for you
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #7649553

garyon, I imagine in your zone there's still plenty of frosty nights to come the next month or so. I think you'll have great luck with lots of things to sow them now. I haven't even started on a lot of my tender annuals, hope to get going on those in the next few days, and some I'll wait till April to sow.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7649622

zone5-er here, looking out at a frosty lawn.

nope, not too late to sow. I am probably not even half way done yet.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7649696

I can see now that WS is going to be a new addiction! :)

quoted..."Robin, is there any special flowers in particular you're looking for? I've got quite a few extra seeds, several things that are kinda unusual and new to me."...

LOL! I don't know the names of some of the most common annuals, so I'm sure if they are unusual and new to you in your beautiful gardens, that I've probably never heard of them. Keep me in mind for later, though!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2010 7:48 AM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7649718

Does someone had a good WS / jugeye image to start a new thread??
I have nothing, photo-wise from this year... and this thread is starting to get a bit long for the dial-upers.

I had one new container with germination... I have to check my data sheet to see what it was and how many i have now... but most of mine has like ONE seedling... I think there are only 2 -3 that has a bunch of seedlings... so i have a LONG way to go... but it still is only March.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 23, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7649750

Karen: I can do it, but not until later today. If someone else has a good image and can do it more quickly, I certainly yield the floor to him or her.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7650136

You can pretty much still WS whatever you want. I have a few more things I want to winter sow and I'll be doing that this week. Last year, I didn't start until late Feb/early March.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7650157

I'm going to continue seeding these jugs, too. It's just too easy and space saving. WINTER SOWING...it's not just for winter! LOL

My pie pans that I used for herbs and various peppers did much better than my seed trays.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7650694

Hey all!

I found a bunch more seeds that I want to WS. I am so excited that it is not too late. Has anyone had any experience WSing clematis, poppies or blackberry lilies? Those are next on my list of things to get outside. Also, all of my jugs are on the north side of my house which doesn't get a lot of sun. Do you think I should move my jugs to the southside of my home which is full sun all the time? The east side would be good but I'm afraid I would forget about my jugs and the west side is all shade. Is north facing enough sun for my jugs?

Last night I prepared at least 20 jugs. Now all I have to do is buy more dirt to get my seeds into. Has anyone ever started seeds inside in Miracle Grow instead of the seeds starter mix?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7650857

Anita,

the Purple larkspur you sent me germinated to day. yay.

I have 18 containers with at least one seedling in it.

I use Miracle Grow for everything... I do not do many in the house, but what ever is sown, MG is used.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7650885

I throw poppy seeds out in the beds in the fall, so I've never WS those. I had great success with WSing Blackberry Lilies last year. The ones I planted last year are already coming back! I might plant a few more this year so I can put more in a different place.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 23, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7650935

Lavender and Hardy Hibiscus sprouted today, in addition to pansy and catnip previously. Pansy is sort of sparse, though. I've covered them so that it is dark - maybe that will help. Nothing on snapdragon, poppy, parsley and columbine.

Grayson

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7650998

good to hear about everyone's joy at finding new sprouts...LOL

Clem seeds generally will sprout faster when on heat mats and under lights. When put outside some can take as long as 2 years to sprout. I would also plant the seedlings in gravel, not soil. They like VERY GOOD drainage.

Janet
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7651026

Therese??? You and I are in the same zone. So you are saying that I need to go home and do the "jugeye" thing? LoL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7651052

when did you start sowing Anita? and with the weather we've been having... you should have some seedlings. Looks like my first one popped on 3-12.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7651068

Had to go check my jugs. Sweet William and Zinnias are about an inch tall. There's 3 more jugs that are just coming out now, so will check what they are tomorrow.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7651113

Hi, all,

Just checked my covered bins after a couple of weeks of ignoring them and I'm happy to tell you all that I have large cups (51) of digitalis, rudbeckias, ageratums, amaranthe, cerinthe, hollyhocks and several other things sprouting.

I also realized that I didn't plant my milkweed seeds, my herbs, coneflowers and other perennials. So I'd better get to it.

I'll wait a few weeks to wintersow my annuals (unless I decide to start some seeds under lights in the basement).

Good to hear everyone is starting to see some tiny green stuff coming up in their jugs! t.

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 23, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7651244

Okay, Karen, as promised, here is the link to the new thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083056/

Let's move over there!
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 25, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7655666

OK now, I'm ready to freak out about this. Temperatures are predicted for 22 tonight and 13 tomorrow night. Daytime temperatures will be into the 50s. Hardy hibiscus, lavender, pansy, catnip and parsley have germinated. Maybe one oriental poppy. Do I need to protect them?

Grayson

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2010

Post #7655696

we are also supposed to be 22 tonight. [ah, they changed it to 24] then 32 the next early morning...
I will probably toss an old blanket over my pile of containers. Though i do think they will be OK since they will be out of the elements.. especially the wind. and no frost expected.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7655700

Dont forget to move on to the next thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083056/

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8354337

Diamond,

Here are some Salvia that may be hardy in Zone 5a:

Salvia nemorosa [P 4a-7b] from Jonna violet (variety?)

Salvia nemorosa "East Friesland" [P 3a-8b]

Salvia transylvanica "Blue Spires" [P 4a-8b]

Salvia x superba [P 5a-10b] (maybe from tuinkabouter?)

Salvia lyrata "Purple Vulcan" [P 4a-11] bronze-green foliage

I'm just going by what I read. I found this thread while wodneirng what kinds of salvia would benefit from WS: most don't seem to need startification, and some or most seem to prefer warm soil for germination.

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America