Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Winter Sowing - 2010 - things rolling right a long #3

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The last thread was getting so long, so let's continue here.

This is where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073093/

I have Sweet Peas making an appearance in their jugs!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Running Springs, CA(Zone 7a)

Darn, I posted on the last thread while you were making the transfer. But, thanks because that one was too long.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No problem!

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Is the any Salvia that is a perennial for zone 5? I WSed some Salvia Firecracker because I was so sure it was a perennial. Today I read that is an annual for my zone.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

There are lots of Salvia varieties that are hardy for your zone - no red red ones though. May night is the most popular, it's a deep blue - there are lots of blue varieties like Marcus, East Freisland, Blue Hill & Blue Queen, then there is Rose Queen which is pink and Snow Queen is white.

Furman's Red & Wild Thing are some red ones that MIGHT work for you if you have a spot that's hot, dry & sunny where you could push the zone a bit.

Orangeburg, SC

Oh, before I forget, thanks Steph, for answering my question about nicking seeds before sowing. Now, I want to know if I'm being impatient? I planted alstromeria, echinaceas, shastas and candy lily about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I don't see any sprouts yet. I watered the soil (MG potting mix) well before planting, but it rained heavily 2 days later. Is it possible that the seeds rotted from being too wet? Or am I being an anxious neebie?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you're being anxious. Remember some of those seeds need warmth, which is in short supply for most of us at the moment. Their time will come, however, so don't fret.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Deebie.... my first year, i followed the "seed packet" directions and nicked and soaked certain seeds... all the ones i did that too, and WS'ed they ALL rotted. So i wont make that mistake again.

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks for the reassurance, Steph. And thanks for the warning tcs1366.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, where's Karen?

All my tomato seedlings have a 2nd set of true leaves as of today! I was wondering at first if any would survive, cause I had a bout with some damping off, but last count put me at 75 heirloom seedlings to grow, sell, or share!

QUESTION: Do I pot them up to 16 oz. cups at this point, or plant straight out into the EBs/eBuckets? I believe the answer was straight to the garden, cause they won't need hardening off since they've been outside all along. Just wanna be sure.

If "straight to the garden" is the answer, then I am RIGHT ON TRACK for my Spring planting schedule. I never would've believed it. And I know that even though the seedlings are still pretty small, they'll catch up in no time once they're planted in their new homes.

They're all long-season indeterminates that need at least 80-90 days to fruit, and if I can put them out this weekend, I should be harvesting in mid-June, which is right on target!

LMK, guys!

Thanks,

Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They won't need hardening off, but if you plant directly to your planters, plant them deep so you can add dirt as they grow up. Otherwise, plant them in 16 oz cups way down at the bottom so you can add dirt to build the root system.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Second variety of Sweet Peas are starting to poke up!! Woot! Now if my herbs and tomatoes would just sprout, I'd be soooooooooooooooo happy!

I am so excited for all of you who are getting sprouts. I can hardly wait. We had a little sun today which made me anxious for spring. I have some gaillardia seeds that I cannot wait to WS. I have some 20+ containers that I have WS. I will have to make more gardens for all of my seeds. All the info that I have read on Lasagna gardening is favorable. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with Lasagna gardening? Can anyone offer any advice...do's or don'ts?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is an article http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1035/

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wanted to give the cow pots a try WS'ing.. not sure how they will do yet.. but put some poppies and some that don't like the roots messed with in them

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my other batch tonight

Thumbnail by onewish1
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm going to use cowpots to start stuff outside once I can get my tiny greenhouse up on the patio, like peas, sweet peas, ornamental corn & millet, etc. It's hard to direct seed anything due to the tenacious digging critters. Oh, and this winter we've had deer tracks in the snow. Great.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Anita, did you get the seeds I sent you last week? Just curious if I got the right one in the seed exchange.

Jeanette

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Anita, you're going to LOVE lasagna gardening! As long as you get a good layer of cardboard or newspaper on the sod, and enough organic matter to hold it down well, you'll have good luck. Of course, the more compost, the better, but killing off the sod and inviting the earthworms (nature's little rototillers) are the most important parts. I've mixed it up and tried several variations of the method, and have always been pleased with the results. If you want to plant immediately, you'll need several inches of well composted material, but if you've got time to let it "cook", you can just start with cardboard and straw (or grass clippings, mulched leaves, or whatever) and keep adding organic matter over time. My butterfly garden is situated on top of an old gravel driveway (grass had covered the gravel, but a few attempts to dig there made it clear that was NOT an option, lol). In that bed I started with cardboard and purchased top soil, then I extended the bed and used any kind of compost, mulch, or potting mix from Lowes that I could get for half price (everything with torn bags), as well as the used potting soil from outdoor containers. In other beds where the soil was already good, I just did cardboard and a thick layer of straw and waited about 4 months to start planting.

Jnette,

I got seeds in an envy that had the words "please, hand stamp" written on it. The original envy was torn pretty badly and was placed in another envy. Some seeds were in the envy. I wouldn't make out who the envy came from because on half of the envy was torn off. Thank you very much for sending seeds to me. I have already WS some of the seeds. I recently aquired more seeds. Send me a dmail and I will share some of the seeds I recently bought.

Gemini,

I am going to try the lasagna gardening. I have a couple of questions. I read that you must add 18 inches of organic material. I would like to layer with cardboad then newspaper, straw, manure, top soil/peat moss then compost. I will more than likely plant right away. I barely have 4 months left until planting season. I don't have the leaves to add. And I can't use my grass clippings because I treat my lawn. What do you think of my proposed plans?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is a link that shows how I started my lasagna gardening. I'm never going to dig out another bed in my lifetime. the way I did it was so way easy and not much stress on the back either...well other than hauling in the dirt. But I was in it for the exercise.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/849382/

Janet

Meadow, did you actually layer your garden with different things? I saw the newspapers, the barrier and the leaf mold but I missed any other layers. I'm find with amking my bed that same way if that's all it requires?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Anita, I don't think its an exact recipe, just use materials you have available. For planting right away, your ingredients sound great. How is the soil where this bed is going?

My soil is all clay. LoL I have spent years amending the soil in my flower beds. I have a fairly new bed that I have to add to but the established beds have very good soil. I got some great ideas from Meadow. I would be a good idea to maybe wet the newspaer first then lay it out. Is it overkill to use newspaper and cardboard? How many layers should the newspaper be? I would think a section or two would suffice.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

When I wanted to gt rid of the weeds in my perennial bed I used 12 sheets everywhere. 3 years ago. So far I have no weeds. Don't know why that would be overkill if others are using cardboard.

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone.. Sorry Ive been lurking and had to pop on real quick...

Diamond I have a Salvia that so far is making it nicely through our zone 5 winter and .. Shhhh its red... I got it from a very dear friend who has me on the list for a few more this year. Sorry Name>> San Carlos Salvia

Havent checked my containers yet but the snow is just starting to melt off and we are looking or almost 50 in the next couple of days if the forcast holds~ Fingers are crossed.. Cant wait to have my own babies spouting outside...

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I think as long as your layers of cardboard and newspapers are wetted down--and not HUGELY thick--you can use both. For the lasagna beds I've created, I use a layer of cardboard first, and then 6-12 layers of newspaper. And when extending my beds next to my lawn, I slice up the lawn into squares and flip it over before putting the cardboard, etc. on top. Never had any grass coming up. Now weeds--I have had those, but they're from my homemade compost which I never seem to get hot enough to kill weed seeds. I just scuffle them under.
Can't wait to see how the new beds I created last fall are lookin' when the snow stops!

That is my worry with my own compost. I went to the local landfill because we could get compost for nest to nothing. Low and behold, I had corn growing in my front yard! I was hoping it was some beautiful exotic plants that I forgot I planted. My neighbor tried to tell me it was corn but i was convinced she was jealous. Then my mom comes over and pulls off an ear of corn. I was so heartbroken but the corn had to go! LoL Now I have good compost hauled in.

Columbus, OH

Don't feel bad. I grew out some millet that sprouted from the bird feeder once.

LoL I cannot wait to see sprouts! Will you please take pictures to share with us sproutless people up north?

TOO FUNNY!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Was the corn any good to eat? ;-)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

LOL Thats funny Diamond!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would've kept the corn! LOL

Some of my zinnias are coming up as well as my borage! Yippee!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, I think it would be fine to put your toms into the final spot if you're SURE you won't have any hard frosts. If in doubt, it might be better to keep them in smaller containers like cups, all together, easy to cover for frost.

Lots of folks say WSown plants will be frost hardy. I do think they might be a little more tolerant of cold than nursery plants but I have lost things to frost in the past. Better safe than sorry.

Congrats to all of you who have sprouts. Here, we've finally moved out of the deep freeze and had temps in the high 30s-40 the past few days. We have some serious snow melt going on but it's not gone yet.

Karen

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

We've had a couple of nice days too, nice and sunny. Looked so good I almost opened a window.

Kannapolis, NC

Have sprouts on my Gazania Kiss! First ones so far. I continue to sow and just got tomato seeds planted (inside).

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is my list of what I put out there

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/85183/

Kannapolis, NC

Impressive list, Onewish!

Thanks, K!

Your sterilite container of cups is what I'm going to do. Where'd you get that container and what size is it? I'm heading to buy it after work today to pot up the tomatoe seedlings tomorrow.

Hugs!

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.