Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: My first bloom on this baby

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7598043

Jill, I got a Hippeastrum papilio last year and it bloomed. I selfed two of the flowers & crossed two of the flowers with a white amaryllis but I wish it had been a red. Gotta love these plants. Judy

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7598058

Oooh, I'm envious! I bought one this year but it turned out to be mislabeled and will be replaced this fall. I'll be interested in knowing if the cross took... I'd also be interested in seeds or a seedling from the self-cross, if you have them to spare!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7598074

I have a red one that is in bud. What I do is save the pollen in 35 mm plastic film containers & freeze the pollen. They do it with orchids, so they can cross pollenate plants that bloom at different times of the year. I'll let you know if the cross takes. Will save some seeds for you or seedling if they take.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7598093

I did some crosses this year (and then Eliot knocked off the tags! LOL so I only really know one parent)... wondered about freezing pollen, may try that next year. I thought Papillio might be a different species and wondered if it would be be inter-fertile (or whatever the correct term is) with your white one.

I've got seeds (one selfed and one crossed with I don't remember what, not sure which is which) in 2 pods on my looks-like-Bogota (the one that didn't turn out to be Ruby Meyer as labeled). Also have seeds on 'Fanfare', and I think there are some others coming along...
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7598162

Jill, sounds like you are into them, too. I started buying up the Walmart closeouts and found out that what I thought was a red, was really a white. And I agree with you about planting them as soon as you can. Clivias are the same way. They don't stay viable very long. I have seen crosses with Amaryllis and Hippeastrum (some of the exotic-looking ones have been crossed) and they are very unique & unusual. If you google Amaryllis/Hippeastrum crosses, you will see what I mean.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7598314

fun -- thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America