Cheap and Easy Dinner Ideas

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a cheap dinner idea/menu? Healthy recipes would be welcome!!! I just need kid friendly, husband coming home from work delicious ideas!!! Share some with me and I'll share some with you! Thanks!

Megan

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

lafko.........you might get more response if you post this over in the recipe forum. you will have more ideas than you know what to do with. i know you just posted this so maybe yall got cooks here too. good luck. i just discovered this whole forum so i'm in amazement.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anything with pasta is very inexpensive.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I make a mean lentil soup that is very filling and cheap.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

A few years ago we found ourselves at the home of neighbors we hardly knew at suppertime. The wife insisted we stay to eat with them. She browned turkey drumsticks (taken from the freezer and thawed in the microwave) in a bit of oil in a pressure cooker, added salt, pepper, and enough water to cook them under pressure for about 15 minutes. She added a couple of cans of sauerkraut and a few caraway seeds, then cooked the food about 5 minutes longer. While the meat was cooking she boiled some noodles, which later served as a bed for the meat and kraut. It was delicious and a bit different from our usual fare.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful recipe idea... it's always nice to see how other families make easy and cost effective dinners. Super idea and it lucky you to have such accomodating neighbors. Judge Judy always says a "good neighbor is worth their weight in gold" and it's true.

Thanks for sharing!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

My favorite cheap recipe that my mom handed down to me, is navy bean soup. You soak navy beans over night, rinse and cover with about a cm or two of water, then simmer all day (in high altitude it takes a while, prob less elsewhere) with a bay leaf (ves) and a pack of ham hocks (about $2). Season as you like. Take out the hamhocks and leave some ham bits. The water should thicken as it cooks...tastes like a bacony bean soup...cheap and easy as that!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the bean soup idea. I have found it easy to use a pressure cooker for the dry beans rather than having to soak them overnight. Just be sure to use enough water to more than cover them.

Calgary, Canada

Recipe for nutritious, cheap, Irish dish is at Canadian Gardening site.

Richmond, MI(Zone 5a)

how do you get to the canadian garding site?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Go to the heading Communities, and look for Canadian Gardening. Or take this short cut....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081789/

Olympia, WA

A friend gave me some smoked salmon - and I wasn't sure what to do w it - a single woman here, not apt to do the salmon, cheese, crackers things. One day - hunger and lack of plans - and this happens - boil egg noodles, drain, stir in sour cream, dill, lemon juice, some diced onions, grape tomatoes and some "smooshed" smoked salmon. I tell you - it was so good that I have made it several MORE times!!! Great the first time - refrigerated, reheated left overs are even better after the smoke flavor has permeated the mess. The tomatoes were ones that were shriveling up - and needed to be used. This "dish" provides an opportunity to use up any number of things that need to be consumed.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yum! I've occasionally thrown together things like that, and tell DH to enjoy it while it's on the table because it isn't likely I'll have the same melange of odds and ends to do it again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images