Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Pretty little pink blooms

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
5:33 AM

Post #14615

This is blooming right now in Central Ohio. Right now, as we speak! ;o) It looks a little like something I see in artificial arrangements, but of course they don't label all the silks with the real plant's names! It's about 18" high and the flower clusters are about 1" each.

What is this, please...And is it invasive? I like it, but I want to be sure it isn't something I'll regret transplanting if I bring some home!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sis

September 29, 2001
5:42 AM

Post #136305

Hi GW,I picked some of that also last week in Tn. but thought it might be invasive,it was everywhere too'So pretty,but didn't want to take a chance' Hope someone chimes in to tell us,like Poppysue'''
NewPenny
Bellingham, WA

September 29, 2001
7:29 AM

Post #136314

Hello I think it's a lady's thumb, Polygonum persicaria
Here's an URl with info on it. Yes it's a weed. :-) Some of my favorite flowers are weeds, some invasive and or noxiose. :-)

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/croplive/cropprot/weedguid/ladysthm.htm

And another one, I can't tell from that last photo if its the same as yours or not.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/~sforza/weeds/polpe.html

This message was edited Saturday, Sep 29th 3:34 AM
Baa

September 29, 2001
9:41 AM

Post #136323

Yep its an invasive Polygonum or now renamed Persicaria
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
10:05 AM

Post #136324

Well, phoey! I'm glad to know the botanical name of what I must not transplant to my garden, anyway. ;-) Thanks, you guys!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2001
12:27 PM

Post #136363

Before you yank it out consider the spot you're putting it in. There's something to be said for "invasive roadside weeds" - put another way, they're usually pretty carefree and durable.

Now if you're considering placing it next to a prized perennial with a "delicate constitution", that might not be a good idea. But if you have a spot where you can put equally vigorous plants next to each other, they tend to balance themselves.

I guess all I'm saying is the terms "invasive" or "weed" (especially when used together) tend to turn us off, but that's not necessarily a fair characterization - most of the plants in cultivation today at some point were "natives" or "weeds" that were discovered and introduced into gardens.

On the flip side, I purchased tickseed coreopsis from a reputable nursery. The next season, I found it to be an arch enemy that did its best to choke out the coneflowers and shasta daisies I put in the bed with it. So much for feeling confident in nursery selections!

So maybe I am starting to believe that a weed is only a plant in the wrong place :)
Baa

September 29, 2001
2:09 PM

Post #136397

We use Persicaria in hanging baskets here. I had one appear in my front garden, brave plant because you really have to be tough in the conditions in that garden ... it lasted one season so they aren't always invasive. One species P bisorta is also used in the making of a traditional pudding (we Brits seem to have eaten everything at one stage or another) which I doubt is baked now called Easter Ledges. Oddly enough I did find a recipe for it sometime ago.

Polygonum bisorta is a medicinal herb and because the roots are shaped in an S (bisorta means twice twisted) it was used to cure snakebite. It resists poisons and has an astringent effect and has been used in many treatments which if no one else has added to the Dbase I'll pop in and fill in.

One mans invasive weed is another mans medical cabinet or meal.
Sis

September 29, 2001
2:55 PM

Post #136408

Whew,sure glad someone knew and helped us. Now,I wish I'd have brought it home,another trip perhaps,lol'

I didn't know it was that tough of a "weed" and could have used in my xeriscaping area,so pretty too' Thanks also Baa such interesting facts you share' Especially,the snakebite cure,have many here to cope with and could come in handy' Hopefully,not,lol'
Baa

September 29, 2001
6:16 PM

Post #136502

LOL Sis theres a difference between 'was used to cure snakebite' and 'is an effective treatment for snakebite'. Here we have one poisonous snake (almost endemic to the county I live in).
Sis

September 29, 2001
6:35 PM

Post #136505

OH' :D
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2001
6:44 PM

Post #136514

I agree with go_vols, it grows along the road and beach here( we call it knotweed) It is pretty and I let it join with the black-eyed Susan, Queen Anne's Lace,goldenrod etc. I will pick for arrangements,but not put in garden. I do even let that patch of dayflower alone. ;as it makes a nice landing for the jr.birdmen-learning to fly---just not in my flower beds. I am the one that planted Chinese lanterns in the flower bed!!!!!!!!!!!! Now they mix with the others across the road.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
6:59 PM

Post #136521

In Iowa we also call it Knot Weed. It got out of control in my vegie garden this year. Lots of heat and dry weather and lack of energy on my part has now created a big problem for me. I had it this year where I have never had it before.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
8:50 PM

Post #136572

Hmmmmmm...Well, seeing how DH and I are not the most diligent come summer heat, perhaps this little pretty would be better left at the roadside for me to admire from time to time. After all, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? Our whole lot is only 45x140, so it's not like I have a far corner I can plant it in. I might brave it some day, but I'm kinda chicken right now - there's enough to keep DH and I busy with the "cultivated" plants. ;o)
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2001
5:15 AM

Post #137186

Leave it on the roadside---it's seeds are commonly called 'sticktights' because they cling to everything they touch---your clothes, the dog, etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America