sugar-free delicious cereal?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

What commercial cereal do you all recommend that is healthy, tasty, and sugar free. I don't mind adding Splenda or stevia, but most of those that have "whole" ingredients also have lots of sugar.
I learned from Weight Watchers, many years ago, to refrain from cereal that had sugar listed in the 1st 3 ingredients, but I need sugar-free now as I am border-line diabetic.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Kashi makes some super good low-sugar cereals that are super high in protein.
7g protein and 7g sugar, I think.. which isn't so bad.. and it's a 1cup serving....

Whole Slow cook oatmeal is high protein, low sugar...

I have eyed the Kashi; I'll give it a try.

Phoenix, AZ

Don't forget to check the sodium content, too. Lots of cereal marketed as low - or no- sugar is conversely loaded with sodium. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4708

I bought the Kashi today; now I will have to check the sodium. tomatofreak, it was nice to visit a site that actually told you what the maximum sodium should be. I will watch it more carefully. Thanks.

I already tasted the Kashi (GoLean Crunch) and it is good. But here is a trick the food companies are using now. They are calling sugar Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals, lol.
One of the reasons I like this Kashi is because it doesn't have flakes that go to much in milk.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

All I have for cereal anymore is old fashioned oatmeal. Made with water. Yum. LOL No sugar, no stevia (yuck), no nothing. I have come to love bland. :>)

Phoenix, AZ

Oh lord, Anna; I applaud you, but I'm not sure I could swallow oatmeal like that. }}}}}}}}}}(Those are shivers running down my spine!) You're one tough cookie.

I like the Go Lean Kashi, too. And I have noticed all the new ways of spelling 'sugar'! It is getting harder and harder to find anything packaged that isn't full of something awful, e.g., sugar, salt, hydrogenated this or that, MSG (not quite as ubiquitous as in the past), HFCS and/or loads of preservatives.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

tomatofreak, I don't nuke it to oblivion, so it's not really too bad. I like it when it is "chewey". I guess technically it is barely cooked, but easier for me to chow down when it isn't slop. LOL I'd like to try the steel cut stuff once, but I guess you DO have to cook that one to oblivion, so will just stick with the old-fashioned. I don't even like the quick-cooking stuff anymore. Too mushy. And I did so love my oatmeal with brown sugar on it. No more. Just a fond memory, along with chocolate, pie, cake, cookies............you get the drift. :>)

(Zone 5a)

I eat my oatmeal with no sugar either. I use skim milk and add wheat germ and cinnamon. I put high fructose and heavily sugared items back on the shelf.

Phoenix, AZ

Anna, try the steel cut; I think you'll like that. I don't "cook it to oblivion" as I like texture to whatever I eat, too. Add a little less water and test as it cooks to get it to your liking. Wheat germ and cinnamon seem like great additions - as would ground flaxseed. I'll have to try that.

edited to say: I don't know why the software keeps adding a quote from me of a previous statement. This is the second time I have tried to edit it out.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 9:06 AM

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe I am being too slack and not medically scientific, but I just tell the patients to watch their overall intake of daily carbs -- adjust carb loads throughout the day so that they can eat a good breakfast cereal containing whole grains --understanding that the majority cereals will have have simple sugars (listed under many names as you have pointed out.) I don't sort out where the carbs come from. This way they get their whole grains etc. (a better way to spend the carb allowance) --reminding them to have a bit of protein to keep the blood sugar more stable. Me-- I can't do the mushy cold cereal either (My favorite is Heart to Heart because it is firm and tastes good.) But for a breakfast cereal (although not cold) Cheese Grits is my favorite. 100 calorie pack.

I am also watching my other carbs. But I had whole wheat spaghetti last night. My nephew made a huge batch of the meat sauce and canned it and gave me a couple of quart jars and about 3 or 4 pint jars. I had to jazz them up a bit - he is pretty conservative with the herbs & spices.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, man, if I was to pick my favorite cold cereal and I could have a huge bowl of it with nice, cold milk it would be either Kellogs Frosted Flakes or Sugar Smacks. I really, really miss those. And no amount of telling myself whilst eating my oatmeal (with water.....LOL) that I am having a bowl of either of those. :>)

(Zone 5a)

Tomatofreak, ground flaxseed! Now, I never thought of that. Thanks!

Woodspirit1, how is the whole wheat pasta? I just saw it on Dr. Oz and am thinking about trying it. I'm trying to get off all the vitamins we take and eat even healthier than we do now. DH has a sweet tooth, but he's really trying.

Anna, LOL! For me it would be Cocoa Krispies and Lucky Charms. Trouble is, they are so sweet, I can't eat them anymore. I think the Charms should go back to the original marshmallow line- up. Otherwise, I eat the Malt O' Meal shredded Mini Wheats. Also too much sugar. but great to keep you regular.

Wood - do you cook the whole wheat any differently? I did more than a year and a half gluten free. Didn't get the results I wanted and so now I am wanting to try all the stuff I missed! I am hoping the whole wheat is a little more 'resistant' to the teeth and less sticky than the other.

Phoenix, AZ

I've been moving to whole grain pastas for a couple of years now. My first experience with whole wheat wasn't great. I thought it was gummy and fairly tasteless. Now there are lots of pastas out there that use many different grains, not just wheat. Lots of 'em are really, really good. Some info here: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/essential-ingredients/whole-grain-pastas-00400000001170/

(Zone 5a)

Tomatofreak, I added your link to my favorites. I already buy the regular Barilla pasta, so I can also try Healthy Harvest. I've heard quinoa is good too. I think since ''The Doctors'' and ''Dr. Oz'' have been on TV, people are really understanding their own health better.

King Soba Noodles (I have been in contact with company reps who tell me that there is USA distribution) are unbelievable. Trying to be gluten free -- I have cooked up some of the muddiest, muckiest, nastiest stuff. Then my son brought home King Soba brand from a trip overseas. The sweet potato noodles were out of this world. I don't know why our domestic brands don't measure up. These noodles are whole grain, gluten free, vegan, macrobiotic, GI diet approved, etc. etc. You can go to their website if interested. I can't wait to find them. The rep was supposed to email me - nothing yet. Maybe the King Soba people want too big a cut of the income for the product.
Here are some of the pasta choices:

pumpkin, ginger and brown rice
sweetpotato and buckwheat
brown rice and wakame
black rice
corn and brown rice

Phoenix, AZ

OMG, the website is hilarious - at least the beginning! Check it out: http://www.kingsoba.com/

(Zone 5a)

Missingrosie, I'll look around my area. They sound interesting. Did you eat them as a side dish or add to them?

I got to see the first part, laughing, but the rest wouldn't load, so I backed out.

The first time I cooked whole wheat, it began to dissolve a bit and the texture wasn't great. But since then I am more careful about cooking it al dente and it is excellent. I also make homemade pizza with whole wheat flour. Now THAT is really excellent.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Whole Wheat Pasta is awesome... At least I think so.
Once you get rid of all of the "white carbs" - white bread, "enriched flour" cereals, pastas, crackers. etc...
Then all the WW stuff tastes pretty darn incredible.

billy
If you are interested contact king soba to advocate to bring them to your area. I know they are in the US. Once you try these pastas.. hooked....on taste and overall healthy eating.
I asked them to contact Whole Foods - the guy didn't go into detail but he basically said that Whole Foods a real diva to work with and get established. I think they are looking at the smaller specialty food shops - perhaps locally owned. I plan on asking again after a while. Meanwhile I will keep checking the site.

I just used them like I would any other type pasta. Olive oil, olives, red pepper, pine nut toss, Broken up in broccoli soup (italian cheap staple for large families) with tomato sauce, garlic, lemon and oil, etc. All great.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Sounds like something I'd like to try if I could find them. I didn't have time to do a search for retailers, or are they NOT in the US at all?

(Zone 5a)

Woodspirit, I made a whole wheat crust for the first time figuring no one could tell with everything on it. And I add everything! We couldn't, so wheat it is!

Angelsong, I'm slowly trying to switch to whole wheat and I use unbleached flour when I have to use white.

Missingrosie, I'll look around first, Google it. We have a few health stores nearby that might have found it.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

billy - get rid of all the "white carbs" in the house.. give them away...

It wasn't cheap, but that's what I did. Now I only restock the house with whole grains... read EVERY label. Some of that cheap stuff they call "Wheat"... is really just unbleached, and it's not Whole Grain...

(Zone 5a)

Angelsong, yeah, I know, but I don't make good whole wheat bread and I like to bake once in a while. I am buying more whole grains than before, and have DH reading the labels as we shop :o)

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've stuck with store made bread.. I made WW in the bread machine once.

I didn't like it.
BF did.. So I gave it to him.
It was too dense & tough for my taste.

(Zone 5a)

AngelSong, I had a bread machine once too. It's gone. I like to knead it myself, and taste what I've made.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Kellogg's All Bran, Bran Buds are my favorite..Low sugar, high fiber, nutty tasting and chewy.. It's delicious to me.. I am diabetic and it works for me...The ww pasta's are great now compared to a few years ago.. Healty Harvest is one of the best I have tried.. I have used very expensive to Healthy Harvest which you can get at any grocery.. Barilla is also good but a little more costly.. Switched my hubby over to this and he never knew it..

Larkie

(Zone 5a)

I like Bran Buds too, and just bought a package of Barilla whole wheat spagetti. We haven't tried it yet. Sometimes Barilla will have good sales on pasta, but I don't know if the wheat is included since I never gave it a thought back then. I buy ahead and keep it in an air tight container. Pasta keeps for a long time.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Organic Kamut Flakes is the only cereal I'll eat. It's not carried by the nearest grocery store chain, which has virtually a monopoly in San Antonio. So I stock up whenever I can get to the Sun Harvest Farms store. I'm a stubborn old lady!

Waaaay Down South, GA

wood, I've just found this and wanted to add this link to some very healthy products I use. Hope this will help. I love the cereal. I don't use sugar at all. I find milk has enough sugar for me.

http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products.html

edited to add, I know it can be difficult if you don't have a lot of shopping choices, though. I believe I've seen it on Amazon if you've ever done any of your shopping over there. :-) Trying to eat healthy can be really tough!

This message was edited May 24, 2010 4:17 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images