Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchid Cactus: tea and coffee for orchid cactus

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 11, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 4, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7603690

Is tea and coffee grounds good for orchid cactus planting medium, I'm new at this and am lookng forward to collecting a few of these beauties.
juliep127
Louisville, KY

March 5, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7607518

I would love to know that answer. I know they are for roses, but for epis...don't know. Maybe if we wait long enough someone will answer. :)
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

March 6, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7608309

Don't know about the tea and coffee, however, I feed mine banana peels. Last year, I had four flushes, and I was overwhelmed with their beauty and fragrance. They are too big to take outside, so they stay in the sunroom year round.

Thumbnail by JeanK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 6, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7608683

JeanK What beautiful flowers, I'm looking forward to the couple that I've gotten to bloom. I had one years ago and I remember it blooming a deep red, it was gorgeous, I don't remember what happened to it though but when I saw them again this year I knew I had to grow some again. I am curious about the tea and coffee grounds and I hope there is someone out there that knows. I use them on my blueberry plants for the acid they give the soil.
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 7, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7610325

How do you feed them banana peels? Mine will be inside plants in my sunroom also.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

March 7, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7611457

I slice the banana peels crosswise and just lay them on top of the soil. In a few days, they turn brown and can hardly be seen in the pot. That's all I do. Mine are night blooming and a couple of times I missed them (when I was keeping them outside). When the pots got too large to haul back and forth, they got a permanent home in the sunroom.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7611721

Tea and especially coffee are good sources of nitrogen, so they will be good when they break down. I have food composting pickup in my town, but occasionally I add some of Starbucks waste grounds to my compost pile as I am usually N shy.
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 7, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7611878

Thank You for all of the great advice, I can't wait to try them, of course I will keep everyone apprised of the progress. It is starting to warm up a bit here and planting time is approaching. I've ordered 10 new Epi starts...my husband just laughs at me, but we both are looking forward to watching them grow and bloom.
doridunn
Newfield, NY

March 8, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7612381

do ya think i can use the used coffee grounds on christmas cactus plant i drink alot of coffee.i use coffee ground and banana peals on my rose bush and they love it
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 8, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7612640

AnalogDog Sorry for my ignorance but what did you mean when you said "when the coffee & tea breaks down it will be good to use for the N" Sould I just save it in bin and wait for "How Long"? do I mix it in the medium and wait for a time to use it?
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7614353

I have not mixed it directly in the soil so I do not know how hot it is. I just compost it in my pile of leaves and lawn clippings.
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

March 9, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7616773

Thank You AnalogDog for all your help. I think I'll just put all my extras is my compost and continue to put it on my other outdoor plants, I'm really excited to get started growing epis I've placed a bid on ebay for some and am hoping I win but if not I'm sure I'll be finding some at the stores and greenhouses around because that is what i'm going to be looking for. I remember seeing a ric rac plant at a grocery once and as soon as the easter cactus comes out there will probley be some epis in the mix.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America