Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cannas: I cannot find how to divide cannas...

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 6, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Patriotboy247
Jenison, MI
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7604271

I would love for some direction on how to divide. I am a visual person, so if there is a link or someone has pictures of how too, that would be wonderful! And, I have a lot of them. Do I didvide in the fall, winter or before I put them in? Please help!
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7604340

In your location dividing them now and into spring as they are starting to sprout and all ready to grow is usually best.
I will be potting today and will take some photos for you.
If you google "dividing cannas" there are a few links on the web, also.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7604356

First off let me say i'm no expert and this was my first year with them... I'll tell you what i did.. I did mine in the fall, only cause I had almost 3 foot round clumps and had to store them indoors.. Plus I've done some trading.. I dont think it matters where you divide them just as longs you have a few bumps (or stems) where new shoots will grow.. I like to keep 3 if possible.. Think of it as and octopus and break all the legs off if that makes since..

I did find this video it should help you..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRY0jnGkTHk
jen
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7606416

Thanks, Jen.
You should have addressed all his questions :)
That is one of the links I was referring, also.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7606603

Wish i would of seen this video back in oct last year when i was doing mine.. would of saved me some time.. I was being really careful not to break them to small or even just really being gentle.. This lady was just smacking them on the ground.. That could of cut my time in half.. Instead i used a broom to softly knock all the dirt off.. 18 hours later they were all packed up and stored... Oh while i guess we learn as we go.. I also put all mine in paper bags with peat moss weather they were to wet or not but a few weeks later i checked them and a few were going moldy so i took them all out of them bags again (another 2 hours) and put them in plastic storage bins with the holes (dollar stores have them) this seems to be working great.. so far all look good... I really need to find a way to cut the time down since this year i'll have 22 different ones the get stored.. The 18 hours was only for 5 different kinds.. I'm going to be a busy bee this fall...
jen
Patriotboy247
Jenison, MI
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7606654

Thank you all for the how too's and link. A great help and the main reason I love this site!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7606796

your very welcome good luck with your cannas
jen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America