Birds, Critters and Such #7

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074728/#new

I agree, Miss, lets go with bad lighting. lol Blue Jays can imitate a lot of birds, too, but I have never heard one sound like a goose.

Charlotte: #1 is a Northern Mockingbird, #2 is an American Goldfinch, #3 & #4 are colorful fish ;o)) Very nice shots.

Mute Swan

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim I thought #2 was a Goldfinch but still not confident enough to be postive. Glad to know the other is a Northern Mockingbird.

The fish are actually koi, comet and shubunkin. The koi have a mustache and are also the bigger ones. I do have some shubunkin that have gotten quite large.

Memphis, TN

Beautiful swan -- so elegant....er....except maybe for the boots!

Afternoon snacker at my house today...

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Ripley, MS

All the birds and fish are pretty--I won't go so far as to say the squirrel is pretty though, they are pesky little creatures !
Keep showing the beauties ~ and the pesky little squirrels too !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL..... Jessica LOVES squirrels! I think squirrels are cute - but she is crazy about them! and so is Clara! I got them both pjs with squirrels on them for Christmas......
I have never seen a squirrel close to our new house. We used to have them in town where we lived - and I know they are out in the woods around the house.... just don't see them. We do have a small bunny that we occasionally see ....... so far, the dog hasn't killed it.

Memphis, TN

Well, here's another squirrel for Jessica and Clara. This one was contemplating an early-morning run to the bird feeder but, on seeing me standing in the doorway, decided to wait in a safe place for a while.

The girls would have loved walking with me this morning. I saw 8 squirrels amongst 4 trees!!! Saw this little guy while walking

Red-bellied woodpecker...

Thumbnail by duckmother
Memphis, TN

Duckmother, that's a great picture of the Woodpecker!

This bird visited the feeding area today and picked up some of the seeds the Sparrows had dropped. I'd never seen one of these before. I have plenty of Grackles and Starlings, though, and would probably have thought it was one of those if I'd seen it at a distance.

The only bird I could find that resembled this was the Red-Winged Blackbird but wanted some input from you all here. There was no detectable red in its stripe. I only got a few shots of it before it flew off and this (sigh) was the best.

Any thoughts?

If you will look just atop the yellow, you will see a small streak of red. You are spot on, it is a Red-winged Blackbird. The females look similar to big sparrow...which is what many people mistake them for...good job.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim that is a really pretty woodpecker!! Richard and I were both out back this afternoon and a mockingbird landed on a suet feeder not 5 feet from me and just stayed there eating. Didn't seem to mind us at all. Of course I didn't have my camera.

Memphis, TN

Yes, I do see that little streak of red now. Okay! I got one right! Thank you!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim that was a great picture.
MissMary I took some pictures of the redwinged blackbird this weekend too. When they are sitting without the wings out they are rather ragged looking birds.

This is an Eastern bluebird I believe was helping his mate make the nest as they were both looking in and flying off

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This was the female

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am pretty sure this is a red tail hawk next picture will show some color

Kim said this is a female redwinged blackbird

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Looks like a red tailed hawk

Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

Was the hawk fishing in the river ?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Really good shots! Especially the bluebirds! The picture of the hawk is really majestic!!
Richard's daughter and granddaughter came over this afternoon. so picture taking was of them. Sarah has a new puppy she got for christmas and she brought the puppy to play with Charlie and Samantha. Her dog Bailey is half Shihtzu and half yorkie so she is a small dog also. She chased Charlie all over the yard. He finally decided he wanted to go inside!!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I think these are both Robins with different coloring.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm trying to learn too! I would agree with you that they are robins. I have a lot of Robins and they look like the ones in your photo. One you just can't see the rust color underneath. Kim has been such a help to me! I'm beginning to be able to recognize a few! Hopefully I will get better over time!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

No Sandra he was fishing for mice in the cottonfield across the road. LOL.
Thanks Charlotte. Charlie is probably set in his ways and doesn't really care for the young whippersnapper.

I don't know what this bird is. It was sitting in the tree under the hawk. It was a fairly large bird.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I could never get a good shot at this one. Could this be some sort of woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I took some pictures here this after noon but the light was low and they were far away so forgive fuzzy pictures. These swans are wild in some river backwater down from the house. I don't know if they will stay or not.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Blue heron and egrets

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

water turkey cormorant

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

killdeer

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim not sure what this bird is and I know the picture is not good. The more I look at him I guess he could be a ruby-crowned kinglet. There was some chasing going on.

.Kim says Chipping Sparrow

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

. Pine Siskin?

Kim says this is a yellow rumped Warbler

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:52 PM

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

More nice pictures. I love egrets!!! They are my favorite bird to watch but of course I don't have any around my house. There are a lot of them over in the farm county especially around the rice fields. I need to make a trip over and take some pictures.

Thanks for the kind comments about pix!

Cindy, I am not certain if you wanted me to concur with your all of the photos...but I am anyway ;o)

#1 and 2 Wonderful shots of the bluebirds! I want some so badly! One of these days...maybe.
#3-The next two pix are not the same bird. This is a female red-winged blackbird. Look at its bill more conical, like a seed eater.
#4-Correct-red-tailed hawk. Look at its bill...hooked for tearing skin, etc.
#5-I am not certain if these are the same bird, however, they are both American robins and I believe both males (females are a dull brown/black and the rust coloring is lighter.) They having the black and white under their tail.
#6-Female red-winged blackbird.
#7-I cannot tell for certain, but it may be a female yellow-bellied sapsucker.
#8-Trumpeter swans heading north for nesting. Most likely 2 females and 1 male. The boys do not like other boys around!!! If you ever see them pull up their wings in that lovely heart shape, lookout, there is gonna be trouble...most likely another male swan or another large breed of waterfowl is too close to his girl...or humans, etc too close to nest or cygnets (babies).
#9-Correct-Great blue heron and egret (not certain which one).
#10-Corrects- Cormorants---most likely double crested (and their nickname is water turkey lol)
#11-Correct-Beautiful Killdeer.
#12-A chipping sparrow beginning the search for a girl and keeping out rivals...the reason for chasing.
#13-I believe it is a yellow rumped warbler in winter plumage (affectionately called butter butts lol)

I need to come to your house to go birding. You have a wonderful selection!

This little girl came along while we were drinking coffee.

Thumbnail by duckmother

She must have heard that I took a picture of her husband yesterday and felt left out ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thank you very much Kim and yes I want you to always critique my birds. i want to learn. Are you saying picture 3 is a female blackbird. This is the picture with 3 and 6

Thumbnail by Riverland

Oh good...I did not want to step on any toes ;o) Yes, both are female red winged blackbirds.

Memphis, TN

Here's a newbie at my feeder -- is this a Chickadee? I didn't get any really good shots but will post the two best, hoping someone can tell.

Memphis, TN

Memphis, TN

For the last couple of days, the squirrels have eaten almost ALL of the seed in the feeders, while the poor birdies weep and wail (my interpretation!) from the ground below. I started running them off yesterday, giving the birds a few moments to grab all they could.

Today, I witnessed the revenge of those furry varmints -- here is feeder #1, perches gnawed off and lying beneath it so the birds couldn't sit and eat....

Memphis, TN

Here is feeder #2. Not only was one perch gnawed off, but they chewed the hole in the tube (presumably because the level was low). These critters have gone too far -- "cute" just ain't good enough anymore!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Mary I can't help you since you know more than I do when it comes to identifying the birds.

I didn't have time today to do any birding but when I walked out on the porch this vulture was skimming by.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

That is one of the reasons I do not encourage them to visit here.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We had to go to the squirrel proof type feeders because the squirrels demolished all the other ones. They are primarily all metal and when the squirrel jumps on one of them his weight closes all the holes with metal shields. The other one flings them off. The battery got to the point it wouldn't hold a charge so it doesn't do that anymore. I use feed in it that they don't like as well. Even though they can get some food out of it, they can't demolish it because it is mainly metal. The top has marks all over the top where they have tried to get into it but have not been able to succeed.

Miss, I am guessing that you are wanting the ID of the little black and white bird...yes, it is a chickadee. The other one is a male house sparrow. You may hang your feeders from wire coat hangers...it may help keep the squirrels on the ground ;o)

Nice vulture shot, Cindy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.