AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7604955

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074728/#new

I agree, Miss, lets go with bad lighting. lol Blue Jays can imitate a lot of birds, too, but I have never heard one sound like a goose.

Charlotte: #1 is a Northern Mockingbird, #2 is an American Goldfinch, #3 & #4 are colorful fish ;o)) Very nice shots.

Mute Swan

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7604987

Kim I thought #2 was a Goldfinch but still not confident enough to be postive. Glad to know the other is a Northern Mockingbird.

The fish are actually koi, comet and shubunkin. The koi have a mustache and are also the bigger ones. I do have some shubunkin that have gotten quite large.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 4, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7605387

Beautiful swan -- so elegant...er...except maybe for the boots!

Afternoon snacker at my house today...

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 5, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7605887

All the birds and fish are pretty--I won't go so far as to say the squirrel is pretty though, they are pesky little creatures !
Keep showing the beauties ~ and the pesky little squirrels too !
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 5, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7606222

LOL... Jessica LOVES squirrels! I think squirrels are cute - but she is crazy about them! and so is Clara! I got them both pjs with squirrels on them for Christmas...
I have never seen a squirrel close to our new house. We used to have them in town where we lived - and I know they are out in the woods around the house... just don't see them. We do have a small bunny that we occasionally see ... so far, the dog hasn't killed it.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7608378

Well, here's another squirrel for Jessica and Clara. This one was contemplating an early-morning run to the bird feeder but, on seeing me standing in the doorway, decided to wait in a safe place for a while.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7609137

The girls would have loved walking with me this morning. I saw 8 squirrels amongst 4 trees!!! Saw this little guy while walking

Red-bellied woodpecker...

Thumbnail by duckmother

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7609217

Duckmother, that's a great picture of the Woodpecker!

This bird visited the feeding area today and picked up some of the seeds the Sparrows had dropped. I'd never seen one of these before. I have plenty of Grackles and Starlings, though, and would probably have thought it was one of those if I'd seen it at a distance.

The only bird I could find that resembled this was the Red-Winged Blackbird but wanted some input from you all here. There was no detectable red in its stripe. I only got a few shots of it before it flew off and this (sigh) was the best.

Any thoughts?

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7609237

If you will look just atop the yellow, you will see a small streak of red. You are spot on, it is a Red-winged Blackbird. The females look similar to big sparrow...which is what many people mistake them for...good job.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7609305

Kim that is a really pretty woodpecker!! Richard and I were both out back this afternoon and a mockingbird landed on a suet feeder not 5 feet from me and just stayed there eating. Didn't seem to mind us at all. Of course I didn't have my camera.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7609334

Yes, I do see that little streak of red now. Okay! I got one right! Thank you!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7609609

Kim that was a great picture.
MissMary I took some pictures of the redwinged blackbird this weekend too. When they are sitting without the wings out they are rather ragged looking birds.

This is an Eastern bluebird I believe was helping his mate make the nest as they were both looking in and flying off

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7609631

This was the female

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7609638

I am pretty sure this is a red tail hawk next picture will show some color

Kim said this is a female redwinged blackbird

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7609640

Looks like a red tailed hawk

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 6, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7609649

Was the hawk fishing in the river ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7609651

Really good shots! Especially the bluebirds! The picture of the hawk is really majestic!!
Richard's daughter and granddaughter came over this afternoon. so picture taking was of them. Sarah has a new puppy she got for christmas and she brought the puppy to play with Charlie and Samantha. Her dog Bailey is half Shihtzu and half yorkie so she is a small dog also. She chased Charlie all over the yard. He finally decided he wanted to go inside!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7609665

I think these are both Robins with different coloring.

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7609701

I'm trying to learn too! I would agree with you that they are robins. I have a lot of Robins and they look like the ones in your photo. One you just can't see the rust color underneath. Kim has been such a help to me! I'm beginning to be able to recognize a few! Hopefully I will get better over time!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7609717

No Sandra he was fishing for mice in the cottonfield across the road. LOL.
Thanks Charlotte. Charlie is probably set in his ways and doesn't really care for the young whippersnapper.

I don't know what this bird is. It was sitting in the tree under the hawk. It was a fairly large bird.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7609725

I could never get a good shot at this one. Could this be some sort of woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7609737

I took some pictures here this after noon but the light was low and they were far away so forgive fuzzy pictures. These swans are wild in some river backwater down from the house. I don't know if they will stay or not.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7609745

Blue heron and egrets

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7609762

water turkey cormorant

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7609771

killdeer

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7609795

Kim not sure what this bird is and I know the picture is not good. The more I look at him I guess he could be a ruby-crowned kinglet. There was some chasing going on.

.Kim says Chipping Sparrow

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7609844

. Pine Siskin?

Kim says this is a yellow rumped Warbler

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:52 PM

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7610010

More nice pictures. I love egrets!!! They are my favorite bird to watch but of course I don't have any around my house. There are a lot of them over in the farm county especially around the rice fields. I need to make a trip over and take some pictures.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7610623

Thanks for the kind comments about pix!

Cindy, I am not certain if you wanted me to concur with your all of the photos...but I am anyway ;o)

#1 and 2 Wonderful shots of the bluebirds! I want some so badly! One of these days...maybe.
#3-The next two pix are not the same bird. This is a female red-winged blackbird. Look at its bill more conical, like a seed eater.
#4-Correct-red-tailed hawk. Look at its bill...hooked for tearing skin, etc.
#5-I am not certain if these are the same bird, however, they are both American robins and I believe both males (females are a dull brown/black and the rust coloring is lighter.) They having the black and white under their tail.
#6-Female red-winged blackbird.
#7-I cannot tell for certain, but it may be a female yellow-bellied sapsucker.
#8-Trumpeter swans heading north for nesting. Most likely 2 females and 1 male. The boys do not like other boys around!!! If you ever see them pull up their wings in that lovely heart shape, lookout, there is gonna be trouble...most likely another male swan or another large breed of waterfowl is too close to his girl...or humans, etc too close to nest or cygnets (babies).
#9-Correct-Great blue heron and egret (not certain which one).
#10-Corrects- Cormorants---most likely double crested (and their nickname is water turkey lol)
#11-Correct-Beautiful Killdeer.
#12-A chipping sparrow beginning the search for a girl and keeping out rivals...the reason for chasing.
#13-I believe it is a yellow rumped warbler in winter plumage (affectionately called butter butts lol)

I need to come to your house to go birding. You have a wonderful selection!

This little girl came along while we were drinking coffee.

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7610630

She must have heard that I took a picture of her husband yesterday and felt left out ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7610798

Thank you very much Kim and yes I want you to always critique my birds. i want to learn. Are you saying picture 3 is a female blackbird. This is the picture with 3 and 6

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7610819

Oh good...I did not want to step on any toes ;o) Yes, both are female red winged blackbirds.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7614474

Here's a newbie at my feeder -- is this a Chickadee? I didn't get any really good shots but will post the two best, hoping someone can tell.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010

Post #7614475

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7614486

For the last couple of days, the squirrels have eaten almost ALL of the seed in the feeders, while the poor birdies weep and wail (my interpretation!) from the ground below. I started running them off yesterday, giving the birds a few moments to grab all they could.

Today, I witnessed the revenge of those furry varmints -- here is feeder #1, perches gnawed off and lying beneath it so the birds couldn't sit and eat...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7614492

Here is feeder #2. Not only was one perch gnawed off, but they chewed the hole in the tube (presumably because the level was low). These critters have gone too far -- "cute" just ain't good enough anymore!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7614518

Mary I can't help you since you know more than I do when it comes to identifying the birds.

I didn't have time today to do any birding but when I walked out on the porch this vulture was skimming by.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7614532

That is one of the reasons I do not encourage them to visit here.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7614535

We had to go to the squirrel proof type feeders because the squirrels demolished all the other ones. They are primarily all metal and when the squirrel jumps on one of them his weight closes all the holes with metal shields. The other one flings them off. The battery got to the point it wouldn't hold a charge so it doesn't do that anymore. I use feed in it that they don't like as well. Even though they can get some food out of it, they can't demolish it because it is mainly metal. The top has marks all over the top where they have tried to get into it but have not been able to succeed.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7614538

Miss, I am guessing that you are wanting the ID of the little black and white bird...yes, it is a chickadee. The other one is a male house sparrow. You may hang your feeders from wire coat hangers...it may help keep the squirrels on the ground ;o)

Nice vulture shot, Cindy.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7614551

I missed the vulture shot! That is a nice shot Cindy!! I hauled bamboo today and had to take DH to dr so didn't get any bird watching in.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7614568

I would love the coat hanger trick but all the trees got trimmed and the lowest limbs are waaaaaaay up there. Cperdue, what type of feed do they not like? I have looked into the squirrel-proof feeders but haven't found any that weren't fairly pricey.

Thanks, Duckmother, for the ID. I thought it might be a Chickadee but wasn't sure. I have plenty of House Sparrows, as well as some of the White-throated ones, which are thinning out now. I enjoy seeing newbies (at least they are to me) and appreciate the help here with IDs.

Great Vulture shot, Riverland!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7614626

MissMary they are fairly pricey, but we have not had to keep replacing feeders. One of them is at least 8 years old and we are still using it. The ones we have were over a $100 each and the area where the food cones out is all metal and the lid is metal. The side are a very rigid and thick (like plexiglass). I use sunflower seed in the one that doesn't fling them off anymore. I think they have to work harder to get the sunflower seed out.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 8, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7614794

Thanks -- I noticed the sunflower seeds were the last to go! Might have known they prefer "fast food"!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 9, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7615376

I would imagine that the food the squirrels stored for the winter is gone by now, why they are chewing up your feeders, Mary. It has been a long cold winter for them too I am sure. I am not taking up for the tree rats--they will even steal green tomatoes from the vines-just saying they have not been this aggressive at your feeders until now, this is probably why.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 9, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7615503

I was wondering if it's mating season for them or something like that, too. Come to think of it, they have stopped digging in the yard. I hadn't considered the implications of the long winter either and their food stores. Thanks.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7617433

Is this a house wren?

sorry wrong pic try next post

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7617443

house wren?

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7617458

how about a few turtles and a gator

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7617648

Yes, I would say it is a house wren. I do not see a white line over its eye but if there is then no, probably not a house wren.

Well, we don't have a lot of gators here in central AR but we have enough turtles to share with the entire world!!!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 9, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7617739

I guess a few of those gators would make me stop whining about the squirrels...

Robin Redbreast in a chilly morning wind today.

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7618064

Good morning everyone! Cindy, is that your pet alligator? Yikes!

Kim, that bird call id kit you have is great. I could sit and play with it all day. Remember that weird sound I was describing at Marilyn's? It's occured to me that I haven't been hearing it during the winter months. That may be another clue. I really don't think it's a bird. I'm going to get a recording of it this year!

We are about to become duck parents ourselves. Four mallards (1 drake, 3 hens) that were recently retired from a Peabody Hotel are coming to live on our pond. Any duck advice is appreciated. I'm trying to find a way to build them a floating duck box so they have a safe place to go or maybe lay eggs away from the coyotes and other varmits. Their wings are clipped so they cannot fly. They will not have a pen.

I'm listening the the Eastern Phoebes outside the window. They let me know when spring is around the corner. They've nested under the eaves of our house (or porch) every year since we've been here. Such busy little birds when they have babies to feed!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 10, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7618192

Debra, Terrye had a floating house for her ducks, they did not like it, she kept them on her lake for quite a while before she finally lost them all.
Ray told her when she got them, they were going to be coyote food. I think I would fix them a pen, since they can't fly. They have no way to get away from attackers
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7618227

The problem with a pen is that critters dig under and then the ducks are 'sitting ducks' - trapped. Skunks and raccoons dig under and get into the pen. Coyotes probably can, too. If they are penned up, how do they get on the pond? It seems they would be safer on the pond. I was hoping they would be more self sufficient than the roosters and hen we had before. I stressed over those birds all the time. Terrye's ducks didn't like her floating house? That must have been disappointing - I'm sure it wasn't simple to build.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7618230

I don't want to take over Kim's thread. I may start a thread on another forum and see how others handle their ducks.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 10, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7618233

Ray built it for her, he builds things all the time, I am sure she would help you with the plans.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7618241

LOL, Miss!

Well, Debra, I am afraid you are not going to like what I have to say...With the woods being so close to your pond and the ducks cannot fly and are so accustom to "safety," and their wings are clipped, they may not survive for long. Ducks like to do the same routine their entire life!!!!! And you will hear about it if you differ even a little. This may work to your advantage...if you would build a pen. You can literally "march" them to the pen at night. Let me know if you want a pen and I will tell you whatcha need. However, if you really do not want a pen, the floating dock or even an island in the middle is the next best thing. If you will place food on it at sunset every night for a week or two, they will get into a routine and will continue even after you stop putting snacks out every evening. This is the ONLY thing that will keep them fairly safe. It is not just the wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc that you have to worry about, there are threats from the air as well. So, the platform will need a top which opens on two sides, this will provide cover and shelter from flying predators and from wind, rain, etc. There are all kinds of plans for pens and platforms on the web but I will be glad to give you pointers if you need.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7618249

Oops, y'all posted before I finished. Debra, the flooring would have to be off the ground or solid (like concrete) on the ground.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7618337

I have a bird id question. This little bird was on my feeder yesterday afternoon and as I'm typing this I'm watching him out there again. What is he? Also I bought a bird house at the Flower and Garden Show.Just a little $5 birdhouse this guy had built but it looked really cute and actually pratical. Well a bird, I think a chickadee, has already started going in it. Will follow will another angle of the bird.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010

Post #7618338

Here is the back.

Thumbnail by cperdue

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7618357

You have a male House Finch. Oh boy, we may get to follow a chickadee chick ;o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7618363

Thanks! I'm going to type his name under his photo now so I don't forget!
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7618389

Thanks Kim. I did start a thread on the poultry forum. I'm searching for plans for floating houses now. I really don't want a pen because I don't want to have to pen them up every night ... let them out in the am. I was hoping they would be more self sufficient. If you have any ideas about the floating house you can post on that other thread or dmail me. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7621845

Boys! I've been away for a week and look at what all I've missed. Hello everyone. Kim, wonderful ID on all of Cindy's collection of backyard birds. Is this a female Redbellied Woodpecker please? I've some pics. of the Redheaded WPS I'll try to share next...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7621872

Welcome back, Kim. Yes, it is a female Red Belly ;o) Nice shot!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7622513

Thanks Kim, the vacation was wonderful. But, it's always nice to be home, sleeping in my own bed, feeding my own backyard birds. :-) I saw so many of these Redheaded Woodpeckers today. I would say, ma and pa the children, grandpas, grandmas and uncles and anties and nieces, and nephews, plus some second cousins. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7622527

Kim pretty redheaded woodpecker! Glad you had a great vacation. I say it's always fun to go but like you say it's always great to get home! Robins are what is so plentiful in my yard! They are everywhere!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7622577

Charlotte, it was nice outdoor today. Temp. in the mid-70's. I heard my Eastern Phoebees singing. Oooh yes! Robins, Wrens and Blue Jays too. Every little birds are singing their hearts out today. lol.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 11, 2010

Post #7622634

Well, now that the weather's turned nicer, I've seen fewer of these things for some reason. They're still here but don't seem to be as numerous.

Grackle in a tree...

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

March 11, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7622850

Debra, like Kim said ducks like routine. I have to keep mine locked up at night otherwise they would be killed. I turn them out around mid-morning and right before dark they are waiting at the barn to be turned in just like the chickens.
I noticed you said they where clipped. Remember they will feather back out after they molt. However if they are pinioned they will never be able to fly.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7622872

I believe they are, Kenny...but I am hopeful that I am wrong and they will feather out.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7623158

Never fear!!! We've decided not to take them. My friend is keeping them on the same pond with her ducks. Hers have been fine for months but they don't have the coyote problem we have.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7623458

You know how happy you have made me!!!! However, I am sorry that you will not be able to see those pretties on your pond every morning.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7624562

You were NOT very subtle about letting me know you and Jeff thought it was a bad idea. LOL!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

March 12, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7624574

If you ever decide to get ducks I will be glad to give you some Call Ducks if I still have them. My problem is not so much coyotes, but foxes and coons.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7625055

We have the same problems Kenny. Fox, coons and the hawks. We had to give up on fowl because of the predators.

Good to have you back KIm. I have never been able to get a shot of that woodpecker. He always moves to the backside of the tree when i try to get a shot.

This is a Great Egret

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7625537

Love your Great Egret Cindy! My favorite bird!!! I have to go somewhere to see them however! I just love to watch them lift up and fly!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 13, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7625687

Do the egrets make that sound like a heron does when it lifts up to fly ? I love to hear that sound, it is so unique, the way the wings move against the air.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7625727

Thanks Cindy, it's nice to be home. Ha! Most of the Woodpeckers has a tendency to do that Cindy. They think by moving on the oposite site, they're safe from harm. lol. I've noticed Downy, Redbellied and Redheaded Woodpeckers often exibit that antics. Hi Charlotte, I occassionally see the Egrets here too. Sandra, I don't remember hearing Egrets making any noises when lift off. But we need to hear from Kim varification on this for sure.

Here is a Redheaded one.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 13, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7625739

I am not talking about a "vocal" noise, it is the sound the wings make when they lift off the ground.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7626426

I am not 100% certain what type of noise that you hear, Sandra. Herons make a croaking-like sound when the begin to fly but I don't remember their wings making a sound.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 13, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7626462

When the heron lifts off it is like a little helicopter sound, the wings flapping to take off, it is not a call.
When I had to stay at Amanda's through the week with the girls several years ago, she had a pond in the back and a blue heron would visit there, you could hear them take off if you were outside, it is a lovely sound, I grew to enjoy while I was there.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7626658

Hmmmm...ours around here must not know they are supposed to make a lovely sound when the take-off ;o)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7626747

We must have missed out on something there. Okay here is some house sparrow nectaring on flowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7626867

Very nice shot!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7626939

Sandra is right when they are roosting in a group and disturbed you will hear the wings. I can't say I have hear it from an individual bird though. I love the croak or honk the Blue heron makes as he takes off. I find these birds spook really easy so it is hard to sneak up on them to get a picture. We have a blue heron here every morning but just try to open the door and off he goes.

Kim that's a great shot.
thank you all for the comments on my shots. I just wish I could get better ones.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 14, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7628616

Beautiful pictures everyone! I haven't had much luck capturing pictures of our few visitors... On the squirrels, I am sure they are in the same boat as our vet said the deer are... and probably the birds too... He said it has been such a long cold winter, and the trees and bushes are later budding out than normal for this area, and so the deer are starving!! I am sure the squirrels and other critters are too.

I posted on the other thread, but had some small cute birds on our feeders yesterday that looked almost like canaries... (from the untrained eye) but they were small birds with yellow on their chests and some appeared to have yellow even on the upper backs... and black wings with white stripes... any ideas? They were really cute and we enjoyed them but were not able to get any pictures.

Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7628683

You have American Goldfinches!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7629210

A neighbor called us this afternoon and said that we "must come take a look at this tree"...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7629220

The tree is not quite in the water but is behind a guardrail, so maybe she will be safe from crazy humans ;o) If we can just keep her safe from the crazy critters!

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7629357

More babies?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2010

Post #7632241

Love the ducks
Ok Kim I have another I can't identify. It was way up so these are the best shots I could get. It had a pretty song too. One day My ship will come in and I am going to buy some real photography equipment. LOL

It did not appear to have any colors other than black white and gray.
Could this be a Loggerhead Shrike?

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 3:43 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7633151

Charlotte, I have not seen her off the nest (usually early morning and late afternoon) so I don't know how many eggs she has. Since, she is a wild mallard, I don't believe she would let me get very close. The neighbors want me to pitch a tent and stay with her and keep her safe, until the babies are born. The only problem that are more at risk after hatching!!

Cindy, I cannot see the bill very well. If it is hooked and if the bird is kinda big (9-10 inches), then yes, it is a loggerhead which is also called a butcher bird. Nice find!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7633211

Kim it was a big bird but I could not tell about the beak either. I couldn't find any other bird colored like it with the mask. It was a solitary bird in the top of a tree near our barbed wire fences so it kinda fit.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7633347

Certainly sounds like a loggerhead. Some birds change color during the winter and I thought it might be in its cold weather plumage. In the books the usually only show the mating/summer plumage. So, I thought it may be a bird migrating back home for the season but I think you got it right initially.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 18, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7638504

This morning, this Starling was going into and coming out of this hole in our Oak Tree over and over again. The hole is deep enough for it to disappear into it entirely, turn around and come out head first. It appears to be the same bird that was singing on a limb just above this a few weeks ago (even though I can't find any references to a Starling singing "too ----- WHEEE!"). Duckmother, you guessed Starling from the silhouetted photos I submitted and you were spot on! Is this bird nesting perhaps?

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7638810

I bet it is saying pe--WHEEEEEE. Listen to this http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Wood-Pewee/id They can mimic many birds (even humans!) but especially the wood pewee. The hole probably was built by another bird or animal, which may be from last year or they may have gone in their and taken over. They can be beastly little birds! I do everything in my power to keep them away. Like upside-down suet feeders. Nesting boxes with holes too small for them to enter, etc. However, they are protected (like all birds) and I cannot kill them or their chicks, so I discourage ;o)

If you want to read more about them http://www.sialis.org/starlingbio.htm

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 18, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7638833

Thank you, Duckmother. I wish I knew how to discourage this one from that nesting site --it's very high. If this bird is a mocker, that would explain the song it sings -- the last syllable of which is trilled rather than smooth, like the Pewee's call.

Mystery solved, case closed -- yet another pesky yard resident. Oh, well.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7638937

I saw two grackle this afternoon. They were at one of my feeders and as soon as I turned the door handle they took off and went high up in a tree. But I got a pretty good look at them as they flew by me. I could see the iridescent blue color on their head and they were not as large as a black bird. I see them a lot high up in the trees but this was the first time since I've learned what I to look for that I've seen them up close.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7639434

I can't wait until I can be outdoor more (as the weather permits), then I will learn to recognize some of the bird's call/songs. Here is a Baltimore Oriole which has stayed here most of the winter. She has yet left for the Northern States yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7639719

I can't remember any birds song past the last note heard. Tone deaf can't sing a lick either.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7639738

hahaha, Cindy. Same here. But I try to listen. :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7639747

Same here Cindy! I hear them but for the life of me can't remember them! My family doesn't even want me to sing Happy Birthday!! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7639808

LOL with you Charlotte. We need to get together and practice. (singing) You know, it's never too late. Have a good night. I'm signing out fur sure...this time.

Kim please keep those info. coming. Many thanks.
Kim2

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 18, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7639931

I've always seen Doves feeding on the ground but this one decided it was time for a change today...

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7644552

Love the dove picture

Kim I have another one for you. This bird was small.

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7644584

You spotted an Eastern Phoebe, Cindy. Did you see the little one bob its tail? They perch to spot insects flying in the air. You may only have them in the winter or they may be a year round bird. Their call is feeee be...see why it is called a phoebe ;o) You can hear it http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Phoebe/id They usually have 2 broods per year but on occasion they will have 3 (in the south). Nice shots!!!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7645788

Today, this bird visited my feeder. I hadn't noticed any of these before. In trying to ID it, the only pictures I found with any resemblance were of Cowbirds. Is that what this is? Picture #1 of 2:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010

Post #7645790

Picture #2 of 2:

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7645828

Thank you Kim I kept looking in the sparrows and could not find one that looked like this one. I didn't notice the tail. I was too busy fighting my telephoto lens out the window of my truck. It is old and tends to creep off focus.

This Rock Pigeon ? doesn't look real .

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7645843

Good shots MMary. If they are cowbirds shoo them away. They lay there eggs in other birds nest. Then leave them to be raised by the surrogate mother at the cost of her babies.

I had a few killdeer out in the pasture yesterday.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7645849

This mocking bird did not like me walking around her area.

Kim I forgot to say that your Oriole picture is very pretty. I hope I see one this year.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7645862

Cindy, your area is rich with many, many varieties of birds and waterfowls. I've never seen a Killdeer in person. Nice job. Mary, Brown-head Cowbirds are agressive, and harmful to other songbirds like Cindy has pointed out. I happen to have this pair passing through the area. They made a quick stop at my feeder. Refueling for the migratory trip I suppose? Kim your take on this?

The male Cowbird is perching on the branch and surveys the area. The female just took flight and aimed straight for the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7645971

And the highlight of the day. A Belted Kingfisher came to visit;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7645982

Yes, you have a male Brown-headed Cowbird. They are parasitic birds, which means they lay an egg or two in other birds nests. These birds used to get most of their food by preening Buffalo (and later, Cows.) When the herd migrated in the spring, the cowbird did not have time to nest, so they would leave an egg or two in each nest it found...sometimes piercing the hosts eggs, so their offspring would have a better chance of survival. Also, the BC chick will hatch slightly earlier then the others, have a larger mouth and grow quicker. They will also stand on their nest mates or push them out. This will usually cause at least one nest mate to starve or be killed. Many birds have learned techniques to tell their eggs from a BC. If they see an unusual egg, they will cover the nest and build a new one atop the old one. Some birds will send out stress calls when a BC is seen in the area. The only problem, now the BC knows there is a nest close by and just watches and waits for that bird to return to its nest. Some nests are more likely to been parasitized then others but very few will not be targets if the BC is given the chance. In recent years, studies have been done on BC to see if their instincts are changing towards building their own nests. No, this does not seem to be the case, however, some of the females were seen returning to the host nests to see if their egg(s) were still there and if not, they would break the other eggs or kill the other chicks. There is a name for this behavior but I cannot remember what it is called. As soon as the BC chick has left its host momma, it will know it is a BC and will find a group of its own and never return or acknowledge its host family. Kim, they kind of migrate but not too far (in the south), however, they do hangout with other types of blackbirds and if those leave so will the BC. When they return in spring, they will not go much further north. Call can be heard here http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown-headed_Cowbird/id

Cindy, you are right, the pigeon does not look real! I love killdeer. If you have a rocky road (yummy ice cream name lol) nearby, keep a watch this spring. They hide their nests in plain sight in a rocky area. If you get anywhere near the nest, you will know it because Mom and Dad will begin their broken wing display.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7645984

Very nice picture of the kingfisher. We have a mating couple that nest on our creek. I love to hear and watch them going up and down the creek during the spring and summer!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7646021

Well, I'm hoping I will one day be host to some birds that aren't dangerous, menacing or otherwise undesirable!

On another note, I had one more guest today that I'd never seen before. I have several pairs of Mourning Doves but these stood out from the others. They are noticeably bigger, quite a bit lighter in color and are more skittish (therefore, the lack of good pictures). I hope you can ID them for me.

By the way, how do I get rid of a Cowbird...?

Picture #1

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7646023

Picture #2

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7646025

Picture #3

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7646094

You have a beautiful Eurasian Collared Dove. They are not undesirable...though some my disagree ;o) They are not native...you can tell by their name. The were released in the bahamas in the late 70s and were first seen in Florida in the late 80s or early 90s (I cannot remember which) and have been making their way across the US. They do not taste good (I have been told), so they are hunted much, as a matter of fact, in Arkansas, there is not a limit on the amount shot each day during dove season. Some people swear that they are mating with mourning doves, however, this has not been proven and I have not ever seen them snuggle up next to a mourning. lol Jeff and I actually raised two of these lovelies a few years ago. A lady thought they were baby ducks. lol Since that time, more and more are hear. We don't know if we raised a mating pair or if they are just more naturally. They do resemble turtle doves, which were a very popular pet at one time and for this reason they are not shown in bird books very often because the population is from released birds. So, many people will these birds by the wrong name. I love these birds and the lovely sounds they make.

One extra note-a male will bring twigs to a mate as a present. One of our doves left home quite early and went to the neighbors yard to live...she must have had better food ;o) The other one stayed several more months and he began to bring twigs to me every afternoon. Awwwww He left home on Thanksgiving Day. They (or their children) come for a visit everyday. The most we have had on the deck at one time is 10!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7646112

Thank you! It's nice to know I have something a little more interesting than Sparrows and not rude or obnoxious. Indeed they were pretty and I hope they'll visit again!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7646130

Thank you, Kim for sharing such info. on the topics of birding. In our State I just learn NOW is the time to be looking out for migratory birds that will be on the way back up North. I'm learning new things everyday from you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7646544

This pair of doves sat on the power line in the same spot for at least an hour today.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7646547

This blue jay was out looking I guess for worms.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7646551

The finches were out in force today also.

Thumbnail by cperdue

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7646565

Oh yes, now is the time to see all kinds of birds...then again in the fall. Look very high in the trees as some are quite shy. If you will put out some safflower seeds, you may get some Rose-breasted Grosbeak http://www.birding.com/topbirds/9519rbg.asp maybe an Indigo Bunting http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id and if you are really lucky a Painted Bunting http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Painted_Bunting/lifehistory
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7646568

Very nice, Charlotte.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7646580

I'll see about attracting some new birds to the backyard. Thanks Kim. This Orange Crowned Warbler has been a frequent visitor to the suet and grains feeders this winter. Mary, I love those doves. They're so pretty. Charlotte, I have yet able to capture a Blue Jay for they move about so quick.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7646599

I would love to have a indigo bunting or a painted bunting! That would be exciting. Need to get some safflower seed!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7646630

I'm with you Kim the blue jay has been way too quick for me.
Mary you are too funny glad you got a sweet non violent bird visiting.
Charlotte looks like your doves were cold. It snowed here all day.

Looks like spring though
White Throat

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010

Post #7646641

That is a fantastic shot Cindy!!! Looks like something you would see in a slick magazine!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7646667

I agreed Charlotte, Cindy made a great shot there. White Throat or is that a Yellow Crown Sparrow Kim? Cindy redbuds open up ahead of us. Just for the record. lol. Our still in tight buds.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7646677

Kim same here on the redbuds. Cindy is definitely ahead of us.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7646679

Thank you ladies I appreciate the compliments.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7647769

Love those orange-crowns!

Very nice white-throat picture!!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 22, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7648510

There was a Birdseed Social in my yard today (apparently), with attendees mingling and getting to know one another.

Guess who won the Crumb-Grab...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 22, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7648513

The Bluejay took home the gold in the Stare-down Contest with the Grackle.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 22, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7648516

Many showed up just to watch and be watched...

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7650579

Wow Mary you had some really nice visitors. My birds are so skittish if I walk within 15 feet of the tree they fly off. I guess neighborhood birds are more tame in comparison.I cannot get a one to come to seed or suet.
Nice pictures too.

Kim (lily)you really have a nice variety of birds at your place too. I have never seen most that you have coming to your feeders.

Ok I have another one that is puzzling to me. This bird has the exact coloring for the summer Chipper Sparrow. bright rusty red crown black eye stripe. beak color is kinda up in the air. Some unfocused pictures looked maybe yellow but not sure it wasn't the lighting. Cropping this much really loses detail but it's the best I could get. The winter CS is colored differently so I don't know. HELPPPP.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7650589

Another view

male Chipping Sparrow

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 2:46 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7650634

You are correct, Cindy. You spotted a male Chipping Sparrow.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7650690

It's a good time in the season to spot different birds (during their migrating season), even in our backyard. Though, Towhe are seen here all through the season I think. Here is a male. Not sure if I can spot a female from this species.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7651475

I adore towhees! You could tell a female...her rufous sides are lighter and has a more brown color on back. Look here http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Towhee/id
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7653713

Yesterday and today no time for birding except I had to go to the post office to mail some plants and decided to take my camera along. This I believe is a male European Starling. I have never noticed their feathers before.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7653718

I think this is the common house sparrow

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7653752

Really pretty starling!! I've not noticed any of those around my house.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 24, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7654044

I have plenty of Starlings. They come and go with the Grackles in my yards. I did notice one up close for the first time a few months ago. I was surprised at how regal they look with all that black and gold. There are way too many of them for my liking, though.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 26, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7657718

Having part of my yard dug up because of plumbing problems isn't my idea of a good thing, but I think this Robin would disagree. It stood close by, waiting to get first dibs on the worms when the guy put down the shovel and walked away.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7657738

Geeez, Mary. My neighbors had gone through that...fixing the plumbing problem in their yard. Lot of work ahead of you. Best of lucks. Robins are so cute and they know just where to look for a good meal, don't they? I'm trying to attract Blue Birds to nest in the back yard but hasn't succeed yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7657829

Lovely pix, you two! Kim, I would be happy if a bluebird would just pass by ;o) I have a creek, food and 2 bluebird boxes but the one thing that I do not have is open space. You would think that 3 outta 4 isn't bad but I guess it is to them. lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7659952

It seems I have a totally haven for those pesty little squirrels! I didn't get a picture of it because I just had to watch and make sure what he was going to do. But yesterday a squirrel helped himself to the sunflower seed in a feeder that is no longer squirrel proof and then he scampered off to the koi pond and went down the rock to where I have several plants in the edge of the water and got himself a drink. The plants actually have water standing in the top of the pots and that is where he got his drink!!! That was the first time I noticed them doing that, although I'm sure it was not the first time they have gotten a drink out of the pond. Hope I can get a picture some day!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7659975

Charlotte, those Squiggies-- I get mad at them, but not for long because they're too cute. I haven't seen them taking a drink from the pond. But saw one carries big old apple and running up and down the tree last summer. I wished I had the camera at hand then.

Kim we've many Blue Birds here, I think some of my neighbors have more success luring them to their feeders and bird houses. I've a few that discovered my suet feeder and have been a repeated visitors. They're such family-oriented with their behaviors. Usually the male BB will patiently stand guard while the females get their share at the suet cake. I love watching them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 28, 2010

Post #7662487

I haven't seen these before. When I tried to find something on the internet that resembled them, I came up with a few photos of what was called a Red Headed Sparrow but couldn't find that term on any of the bird sites. Any idea what this is?

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7662509

could it be a house finch?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 28, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7662543

I'll bet that's what it is! It is roughly the size of a Sparrow. For some reason, I thought Finches were really small.

I hadn't seen these birds before.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7662580

I have never seen one either. I really would love to see any finch.

I think these were the brown headed cowbirds.

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7662699

Lovely picture, Kim.

Yep, male house finch and cowbirds--2 males and 5 1/2 females ;o) 1 is barely in the picture.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7662703

Yup that is what they're Cowbirds. Brown Headed Cowbirds. The males are the darker ones, and the all brown are the females. It seem housefinches are here year round for me. I've a hard time differentiate housefinches and purple finches though!

We discovered an Eagle nest locally these past several weeks. It's a delight to see these awesome birds. Yesterday we got there at the nesting site, we (hubby and I ) we saw the two sitting in the nest as usual. Plus we saw a flock of them overhead, like another eight of them gliding in the breeze. The most awesome sight!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7662769

Kim, we posted our last post about the same time. :-) . Yoshino Cherry in bloom. A Brown Thrasher perched here briefly to hunt for insects down below.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 28, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7662787

I saw an eagles nest once. They are huge--
I watched this eagle camera last week, there were babies in the nest when I was watching
http://www.hostalibrary.org/eagle.html
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010

Post #7663128

Kim what a wonderful thing to see. I saw one several eagles up close and personal on the motorcycle in the Rockies. The are really big birds. Your Cherry trees are beautiful.

Sandra I will go look .What was it we watched last year?

I am down to sparrows, redwinged blackbirds. Robins and cowbirds. That's all I have seen for day and of course the Mocker. Our trees are leafing out and it is getting hard to get a picture anymore.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2010 8:44 PM
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7663147

Very nice, Kim. Eagles are so beautiful! Cherry is very pretty. I have a Kwanzan cherry that is about to bloom.

Here is something else for you to see, Cindy (and the rest of you) This is Molly and her hubby McGee is outside. There are 4 owlets with one still to hatch. http://www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Live_Owl_Nest_Box_Cam.html

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7663171

Thank you Kim will mark that too.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7663839

Hi, everybody--I haven't been over here in a while. I have had to cut down on the number of thread I visit on a regular basis.

We have the house finches here and robins, blue jays, mockingbirds, cardinals, bluebirds, woodpeckers and the purple martins should be back any day now as their scouts were in the neighborhood last week checking out my martin house. I had to get busy and get it cleaned out for them when they return. Martins don't like to go into dirty houses!
We have goldfinches that appear twice a year--in May on their way north and again in late fall on their way south. They don't seem to stay here all summer, though. I don't have as many different kinds of birds here in the city as I did when we lived in the country. At our other house, I identified more than 20 different types of birds that visited my feeders. My good bird pics are on my old desktop computer. I should upload them to picasa so I can download them to my laptop and post a few here. Maybe I;ll do that later. In the meantime, I have enjoyed all of your photos of the critters in your different areas! :o)) Talk to y'all later!
Marilyn

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7663879

Welcome back Marilyn. I limited my visit too ... I'm so glad you came by to visit our backyard critters thread.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7663916

Hi, Kim! Hope all is well with you! I was just looking at some of the photos I took about this same time last year and my flowers were much further along last year than they are now. It must be because of the harder winter we had this year. :o((

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7663974

Yes, our long, harsh winter indeed affected our season this year. Compared to the glorious Spring bulbs flowers in years past. This (and a few other container plantings) is all I've this year:

Our family is doing okay...thank you for asking Marilyn.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 30, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7667418

A Chickadee was happy with my blue-plate special today.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7667452

Mary, I think I've a couple of the "Dees" nesting in my backyard. I'm so happy with that. What's more. Although this isn't from my back yard. Last year I first discovered Cedar Waxwings. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw a flock of them again this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7670634

I wish I could see a chick a dee. I took this of two Eurasian Collared-Doves yesterday

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7670642

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7670651

My church community group just let a few minutes ago. While I was busy getting everthing ready late this afternoon, I looked out the door and saw a grackle on the feeder just outside the back door and then I looked over and saw a red-bellied woodpecker like you just posted on a suet feeder a few feet away. I just didn't have time to stop and try to take a picture. I think they knew that!!! They just kept on eating!!!LOL
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7670689

Very nice pictures, ladies!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7670691

I think some type of blackbird maybe Brewers, He kept walking around with that stuff in his mouth.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7670700

Cindy, you are getting some great pictures of the birds ! Looks like that last one is going to build a nest somewhere.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7670702

Thanks Kim I like taking the pictures but get a head ache trying to figure out what they are.

Charlotte I think they know that too. My hummer is there when I can't take his picture but gone if I can.

Kim is this a sparrow? what kind?

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7670735

Thanks Sandra I have to drive around to neighborhoods to get them. I can't get a hundred foot of them here. I will probably get put in jail for spying on people's yards and trees.. Could I just make me up a press tag and say someone famous is in that yard? Any these crazy people want to drive down the street while I have it blocked with my large serious plant hauling vehicle. Go figure.

Come and get it!!!!!! Feeding time

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010

Post #7670752

Well, at least you have moved through the plant digging stage to the picture taking stage of life when you drive around the neighborhood--LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7670755

Great pictures Cindy! Love the last one. Really neat how you caught the bird in the air!!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7670757

Cindy, I may be wrong but I don't believe it is a Brewer's simply because this bird is most likely building a nest and Brewer's do not breed in the south. However, grackles do nest here. Was this blackbird small? Were the black feathers glossy? Was the tail straight across or V-shaped? If known of the questions are yes, my guess is a grackle. The sparrow is a female house sparrow. Nice shots! The third one is two male house sparrows.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 9:44 PM
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7670790

Female house sparrow or field sparrow ?. Pink bill

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 9:48 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010

Post #7670831

Kim this is a shot of the other one from underneath. I believe it is a grackle. I was thinking the grackle had some marks but that was the starling. Too much info for my pea brain. These sparrows are killing my thunker. Pink bills, black ones, stripes no stripes.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7670860

Forgot to say Thank you Charlotte and KIm

Is this a male and female or two males a different ages?

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7671499

Oops, you are right, Cindy, it is a field sparrow.

I believe it is a grackle.

Male and female house sparrow.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7671523

Nice pics. everyone. Kim this one is for you. Can you believe it's April?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7671542

Thanks, Kim. I just want to swim out there and hug him!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7671548

Oooh Kim! The water is still cold yet. Wait until July then I'll get in the water with you. lol.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7671642

;o)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7671698

As the temp. warms up some. I think most of the Canadian Geese are flying north. Lately, I saw just two pairs of the geese in the area--they may homestead here in the South. This is one of the two pairs. I hope to see their babies later on.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 1, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7672927

Newbie at the feeders today. I'm surprised I even got this shot. I went running for the camera when I saw this bird, stopping several feet from the door so as not to spook it. Is it a Thrasher of some sort?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7673309

Mary, yes it's it. Brown Thrasher: http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/Brown_Thrasher?fwd=1&src=mtoc&qpvt=brown thrasher&q=brown thrasher

I've a pair that made a nest within a dense shrub in the side yard. I tried to give them space as best as I could. I've been told those birds are quite protective of their youngs. I love to watch them perching nearby and hunts for insects and what not.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7673363

beautiful bird and shot Mary. I haven't ever seen that bird either.

Hi Kim LILY Are you going to be at Jeri's so we can visit with you again?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7673370

Cindy, count me in. Yes, I'm planning on it. Don't tell Jeri yet, I'm gonna surprise her. lol

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 1, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7673387

Woo-hoo! Another good bird!

Now if I could just get rid of the bad ones and the squirrels!

Thanks for the ID confirmation. Maybe I'll see my newbie again really soon and can get some more photos.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7673465

Miss, great shot! Thrashers are wonderful and if you will put out a small bowl, saucer or shallow bird bath, he will come very close to bathe in its own tub ;o) May take them a while to find it, but once they do, they will use it forever.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7673820

Oh boy oh boy, they will use a shallow bird bath. Kim, I'll put out one. Living by the lake,I never thought to put up a bath for them. But I have found one that has a water pump. I'll set it up this weekend.

I'll find out which one this is at the feeder...once I enlarge it.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 2, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7675444

The Odd Couple...?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 2, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7675460

They may be odd, but they are beautiful !!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7675510

What a cute picture!!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 2, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7675532

Elvis, "my" Robin, has been hanging around most of the winter. I caught a glimpse of him on the porch today and snapped this. Don't you just love the 'do?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7675701

LOL, I love, love it!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7676875

Perfect name!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7677179

He is so cute. Isn't it great when an animal or bird has a distinct look that you can tell them from the others. You kinda feel like they belong to you when they visit repetitively.
Elvis is the perfect name for him.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7677188

I couldn't agree more. Elvis is really fitting. lol. I'd like to call my Brown headed Nutchatch. "Chick-pea" what do y'all think? It's so tinsy, tiny cute. I saw it collecting stuff as if for nesting. I hope I'll get more of them around in the future. Though, I believe I've a "couple" of these adorable Nuthaches, but I can't tell which one is male/female.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 3, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7678189

Chick-pea sounds sweet. I don't think I've ever seen any Nuthatches around here. Maybe you'll end up with more of them!

The birds in my yard never know what to expect. They didn't seem to like the suet box I recently got, so I crumbled up some suet and put it into this little pail. The big rock inside is to keep it weighed down so it doesn't get carried off by the wind...or the squirrels. These two Sparrows are having fun checking it out.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7678904

Ohhh no! Those are bullies on the birdworld! I wished they were kind to other songbirds (but they aren't!). The more I learn about them. The more I'm worried about other little birds near them.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 5, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7681214

I spotted the Northern Flicker foraging for breakfast goodies this morning. It saw me watching from the door but didn't seem to mind.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7681225

Pretty Northern Flicker Mary.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7681283

They are such a pretty bird.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7681735

Beautiful pics everyone. My husband saw a hummingbird checking out my feeders yesterday ... meant to get a least one filled up but I didn't manage to check that off my list. Maybe tomorrow as i have to go out of town for a softball game tonight...

savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7683612

Hey I always forget to follow the wildlife, and critter threads and I see I have missed out on some great pics ...man , yall have been busy over here , huh?

Kim - We got two new ducks this past weekend ...2 Khaki Campbell ducks just a few weeks old.. they are so cute ...I will try to remember to take pics today and post them later
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7683787

Oh my...you lucky ducky ;o)) You will love your Campbells! They are so sweet and charming and they have the cutest personalities. Congratulations!!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7684140

Happy for you Sharon, please share some pics. when you get a chance. It's a challenge to capture an off- white, white flowers image. But my furbaby "Alie Bama" solved that problem; this is the best picture I could get from this lovely tree/shrub.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 6, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7685359

Elvis and Frankie fought all day long while Annette stood by coyly, eating worms and pretending not to notice. This is Elvis in hot pursuit. Sorry for the poor shot -- they were really going at it hard.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7685372

Love the name, Kim.

Miss, Annette must really be a looker for the boys to scuffle over her so much. lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7685423

Lol, lol!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 6, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7685441

A sleek and shiny Starling basking in the afternoon sun...

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7686070

Good pictures Miss Mary . Love the starling. I had never notice all the squabbling the birds do until this year. Never noticed all that was going on around me.

Kim you are right about the white flowers.

This is one of our new calves. We had one born yesterday but haven't taken a picture of it.
Isn't this the sweetest face.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7686083

Oh goodness, what a sweet face, I wished I had taken my camera to Mamma's yesterday. When we finished with her bed and sat down on the porch, the birds came back to her feeder, she had several finches feeding and what I believe were purple martins. Last night she called and said she had a hummer and had fixed her feeder up and put it out.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7686180

Oh my, what a cutie, Cindy!

Sandra, I don't think they were purple martins...they mostly eat bugs...unless she had mealworms, but still not likely. Can you describe them?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7686215

They were very dark and shiny, not as big as a cowbird--they were flying in and out of the gourds next door and coming to Mamma's feeder, I guess I just assumed that was what they were, since they would eat a bite and then go back there. They were eating seed though, so they must be something else
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 7, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7686325

The calf is so cute. I REALLY miss the farm this time of year - we always had new calves and new colts... I used to have so much fun playing with the babies!!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7686377

Sandra, were they a solid color? Black? Blue?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7686390

more black I guess, but shiny ! looked a little like an iridescent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #7686685

Are you certain it was not a starling?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7686735

no--I am not able to identify a lot of birds so I am not certain of anything--LOL--it might have been starlings, I really don't know, but I do know they were eating seed !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7686805

LOL Probably starlings then. If she is wanting Martins, she needs to rid herself of the starlings. They and house sparrows are meanies and will keep out more desirable birds.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7686910

Oh Mamma feeds whatever shows up--the gourd house is at her next door neighbors, we were watching them fly back and forth. She told me on the phone this morning that she had some doves out there fighting.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 7, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7687534

Elvis contemplates cornbread...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7687929

What I sweet little calf!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7690677

I had a few Cedar Waxwings this morn.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7690682

They are such a Regal looking bird.
Hey Mary glad to see Elvis still hanging around.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2010 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7690694

Those are such pretty birds! I've not seen one at my house.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7690707

According to what I read they like to collect insects over or near water and like wooded areas. That is probably why I am seeing them here.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #7691172

I haven't seen a Cedar Waxwing around here, either. I have bluejays, mockingbirds, blue birds, black-capped chickadees, purple martins (I have a martin house), cardinals, sparrows, house finches, and the list goes on. I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet but according to others, they are in the area. I really, really need to get my hummingbird feeders cleaned up. I'll put that on my list to do today. Here's a photo of the hummers from last season. One is on the feeder and another one is coming in from the right. There were 3 of them fighting over this one feeder at the same time when I took this photo.

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010

Post #7691524

I was mesmerized when I discovered those Cedar Waxwings locally the first time. The more I see them, the more I wanted to see them again and again. I understand they favor certain kind of berries such as Mountain Ash (which I tried to plant a couple trees for them, but they don't seem to like the hot humid South -- the trees that's). Then I learned that they like GrapeHollys. So I planted a couple of those. My first time seeing them again this year was several weeks ago. In a flock over the tree tops during their migration journey I'm sure. Regal is a very discriptive term for those beauties Cindy. Love, love those birds.

My most close-up pic. of one of the Swallows, could be tree, could be cliff swallow. It's so difficult to differentiate among so many species of Swallows.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7691534

Kim, we need a new thread please.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7691836

Marilyn we have tons of Cedar Waxwings in Winter and Spring. They have a very distinct whistle like call. They also hang out together, so you rarely see one alone. However, they tend to stay in the top of trees and are not fond of really open spaces...unless just flying from one stand of trees to another. So, when you see a group of birds fly over, look at the coloring. If they are golden underneath and are whistling, you found 'em.

Kim, I think you have a tree swallow.

New thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086578/

This message was edited Apr 9, 2010 10:51 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America