Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Savory seedlings - summer vs winter

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 7, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 5, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7606787

I sowed both types of savory seeds for the first time and wanted to ask a question. Both were sown the same day, received the same amount of light and water (they're sharing a container) and both have sprouted. The summer savory is waaaay more leggy than the winter savory which looks pretty good (not leggy). Is this normal? The winter savory is ready to be transplanted out of it's communal container but I wasn't sure about the summer version. Do I bury it deeper or should it be allowed to "drape" over the containers?
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7608328

I am not sure if you should bury it deeper, the only thing I know you can bury deeper is tomatoes. I just wanted to say I am having the same experience with the Savory being leggy. I didn't start winter savory but I did grow a different marjoram and a few other herbs and the Summer Savory is the only one that is tall and leggy and they are all growing in the same conditions so I think it is probably normal for them. My plan is to direct sow some when there isn't danger of frost so that way if the ones I started indoors don't work out well, I'll have the direct sown ones.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 6, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7608481

I normally keep herbs in pots since I have mostly shade. Then I can move them around as needed to get some sun. They were all growing under lights too so it shouldn't have been for lack of light. I'm just not sure how to pot them up since they are so leggy.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7608685

Maybe you could direct sow some in the pot you want to grow them? Hopefully someone else will know if you can bury them deeper when repotting and chime in soon. :) Good luck.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 6, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7609086

Cindy, Legginess could also be caused by too much warmth. Once I have everything germinated, I try to keep all of them between 60-65 degrees until I can start to move them outside (Except my begonias which I keep a little warmer). I don't know about savory in particular, but when I transplant I usually bury all the seedlings up to the first set of leaves especially if any plant is leggy.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 6, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7609182

Bury it up to true leaves?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 6, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7609212

Bury to cotyledon leaves if they are still green, otherwise bury to true leaves if cotyledons have died and dropped off.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 6, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7609274

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America