Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: What to grow in this pot?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 20, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7607013

I have a wall pot that I love, but can't decide what to plant in it.
It doesn't have any drainage, but that could be fixed. The area for a plant is kinda small, 4" x 6" at the top and about 6" deep.
So far I've thought of caladiums or corkscrew rush. I like the caladium idea better I think. Also, my house is white concrete block with light blue trim and this pot is going to go to the left of the front door. There is another wall pot on the right side of the door with mexican feather grass (Stipa tenuissima).

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7607177

... and in what kind of light will it be in?

Al
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7607318

I knew someone was going to ask that... East facing wall, so sun until early afternoon.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7607490

Streptocarpella would look great in it.

Thumbnail by tapla

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7607494

Or torenia (clown)

Thumbnail by tapla

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7607498

... or a cascading Coleus and an Asparagus plumosa?

All the above would do well in a small volume of soil.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7607525

Tapla,

When I go to the PlantFiles for the Streptocarpella I get Stretocarpus. Are they the same? Or different?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7607853

Sort of - Streptocarpella is a sub-genus of Streptocarpus, but I imagine they are used interchangeably. It's a very nice plant & responds nicely to pruning. It blooms for me from spring to frost.

Al
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7607860

I had not seen them before and those leaves and the way it grows are gorgeous. I suppose they are an annual.

Do you ever see the Euphorbia Diamond Frost? Is it new? I have only seen one and just love it. I am assuming it will take a few years to make it's way out here to the west coast. Normally the plants get to the east coast first and then make their way west. Takes a few years to get here.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7608228

It's a perennial and blooms all summer. It looks best if you deadhead it - but I deadhead everything. You can over-winter it if you choose & cut it back in the spring. It's best to bare root it when you repot. Foliage has a pubescent look that makes you want to touch it.

I use 'diamond frost' every year in containers as 'spillers'. It is a fairly new introduction - I think I first used it around 4-5 years ago, but I don't remember exactly. It was discovered as a sport in a German Euphorbia collection and introduced in '04 by Proven Winners. It might prefer a little more sun than your location, but it should still work perfectly fine there.

Al
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7608430

Yes, my problem is finding it. I know PW is a wholesale vendor so it wouldn't do any good to write to them. Guess I will just have to keep looking. Thanks Al
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7610576

Fabulous ideas!!!!
I've grown Streptocarpella and torenia before, but not Asparagus plumosa. And the Euphorbia I've used in other peoples containers.
Sounds like I'll be drilling a hole in the back to accommodate these kinds of plants.
I know I can get all of these at local nursery's, so I'll bring the pot with me and see which I like the best.
Thanks for the help!
Barb
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7610610

What is it made of Barb?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7610743

Oops - please forgive me for thinking I was talking to BB in one of my posts above. ;o)

Al
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7610853

No problem. You can talk to me too.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7610933

Lol - I know - I enjoyed our chat. I was just explaining why I might have come off as looking like I was in the middle of another 'duh!' moment. ;o)

Al
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7611261

It's a plastic resin, very thick and solid.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7611421

Guess I was hoping you were going to tell me how to drill holes in heavy ceramic type containers.

Ok, I will get out of your conversation with each other. LOL I grab every chance I get to talk to Al 'cause I always learn something.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7611529

No prob Jnette!
My husband has drilled holes in several of my heavy ceramic pots. He uses a ceramic bit and it takes a while since you can't press down or chance cracking the pot..
I drilled a hole in the pot we're talking about myself, no special bit was needed since it is plastic.
Barb
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7611536

Thanks Barb. I will have to look for a drill bit for those.

Jeanette

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7611816

A copy/paste job from a post I left somewhere else:

I have some considerable experience in drilling hard materials, with 32 yrs in the glazing contracting business (glass company). We regularly drill all sizes of holes in glass/mirrors, granite (shower door installations) and other vitrified materials (the objects people bring to us to drill holes in).

Ease of drilling varies with the hardness of the material, of course, but terra-cotta containers are not hard at all. Most containers you'll encounter can best be drilled with a "spear-point" drill. I'll link you to a picture from one of our suppliers. The drill is also called a '3-point' or 'spade' drill. Highly vitreous containers (glass, or glass-like - ceramic - clay fired at high temperatures) may even require a diamond impregnated "core drill", but it's uncommon to find containers like this.

These drills can be found at big box home improvement stores. They should be cooled with water or a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze as you drill. An excellent strategy is to immerse the container upside down in a tub and add enough water to just cover the drilling surface as you drill. Rotating the drill clockwise at a slight angle while drilling will greatly increase ease of operation. Alternately (I use this method), fill a squeeze container (contact lens solution bottle is stellar) with water or 50/50 water/antifreeze & squirt it at the drill/material interface as you drill. If you can't find the drill you need, you can contact me off forum & I'll be glad to help you.

See a picture of what the drill looks like below. They are made of carbide and designed to drill very hard materials.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?ProductID=10776&GroupID=5112&History=4900:5103&ModelID=5112

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America