Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: How do I start columbine seeds?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
amath
Independence, WI
(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7607408

I fell for the Winky Double columbine from a weekly Daves email and have bought just a few seeds so I want to do it right... should I start them inside or out (I'm in WI, zone 3-4)? After last frost? If inside, how do I keep them at 68-70 degrees to germinate? Are they going to be difficult to start?
-Burning with spring fever.
cyclops101
Wakefield, RI

March 7, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7610237

Columbine (Aquilegia) seeds should be chilled for a week or so in the refrig. Then plant them on the surface of moist potting mix do not bury the seed just press them in and place the seeded containers in a plastic bag until germination. Give them bottom heat if you can. They take anywhere from 2-3 weeks to germinate so be patient. My suggestion is to sow them into cell packs so that once germinated you will not have to disturb them. Mature plants have a tap root and I have dug them and replanted with good success. I have them in my yard and they self sow very readily. Good luck
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7621724

Wintersowing also works well for Columbine, that's how I've had best luck starting them. Even after they start germinating, be patient for more to come, I've had them continue to germinate into early summer.
monkapotamus
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7690873

I have some that I just started sowed yesterday in seed cells, but the packet didn't say anything about chilling them. Should I put them in the fridge now that they're in the starter mix?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7691125

It would probably be a good idea. It certainly wouldn't hurt, and I think it will increase your germination. It irritates me how most seed packs have the same generic instructions on everything.
monkapotamus
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7741714

Just have to say- thank you so much for letting me know to put them into the fridge! I had them in there for just under 2 wks, then placed in a sunny window, and today I just noticed the first tiny specs of green. yay.

amath
Independence, WI
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #8032630

I had the cutest lil columbine plants in lil peat pods...planted 10 & gave 6 away. There are 4 of the 10 surviving so I think they'll make it. Good nuff.
NYGrower
Poughkeepsie - Hyde , NY
(Zone 4a)

August 18, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8048359

Hi all... Don't you all think that the reason that seed need to be chilled, is similiar to what happens to veggies that are not pre cooked and tossed in a freezer bag for storage? The skin breaks down a bit and veggies get mushy depending on what kind of veggie it is. The hard coating of the seed must break down some how in the same way.

The idea of drect sowing a seeds, what nature does for plants that "sleep" over the winter and come up in spring, is the same I think.

If you do not live in an area that is cold for the kinds of plants that need the cold to germinate, this method of putting the seeds in the freezer for a while works for them. Like tulips, etc. They will not bloom in lower California because there is no frost. They need the heat, then cold, then heat to let the plant know it is time to get growing.

On the other hand, I put Hollyhock in the ground 3 weeks ago and they came up and I now have 5 inch plants, which will have a year's heads up, and should bloom next year, after its winter sleep. The Hollyhock has a flat more or less a "soft" shell that I think allows the plant to come thru now in this warmth, while the columbine has a hard shell and will not come thru till the seeds go thru the winters sleep..

What do you all think?

Nancy.

NYGrower.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8130265

I tried some Columbine seeds indoors without any chilling. Just scattered them on a layer of vermiculite on top of pottibng soil with sand added.

I got what seemed like more than 100% sprouting, and the seedling are surviving better than most that I start!
The packet said "blend" and the name implies "hybrid".

Columbine
McKana's Giant Blend
Aquilegea - hybrida
Botanical Interests 2010

I see this now on their website, probably it's on the pkt also:

"Columbine germinates best with stratification, ... The process described above should give you the best results, but note that your Columbine seeds may germinate fine without the stratification treatment. "

Corey
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 30, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #8130568

Columbine here in Virginia grows like weeds. i just scatter the seeds when they are ripe and walla!!! tons of columbine in spring!!! Belle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America