Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vines and Climbers: Sun Parasol crimson mandevilla- cut back ?

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
crazyhorse_ca
Halifax, NS
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7610607

I have this vine. Was a patio plant last summer with amazing growth and never ending blooms. I brought it in before frost (Canada)
and put in window. Was fine for awhile and then proceeded to drop all of its leaves. I thought it had died, but no it is budding from various areas, but on distal parts of last years growth. Should I cut it back hard ? Will growth then start from the base of the plant.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7611398

I live in Florida and have mine just outside my patio door. I asked a horticulturalist at our garden club this question - he said WAIT until it totally leafs out, then cut off all the branches that are obviously dead. For me, that will be sometime in mid-April.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7611544

Ooops I might have been to quick, with trimming mine down. But only cut half off. It has started to put out new shoots. It has lost a lot of the old leaves though.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7617033

I keep my mande's in the greenhouse and always cut them back to about 2 - 3 inches for the winter. Mine are just starting to put on new growth.

X

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2010
2:24 AM

Post #7617901

I was wondering about that too. Mine is dropping leaves but had buds on it too, actually one has opened already, and a ton of new growth. I had meant to cut it back over the winter, but never got around to it. Think I'll do the same as Kay...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America